Province Hunter

Cheesecake with Coffee (Fried Tofu Cake sequel) [on-going: chapter 16] #ALIVEEEEEE

 

“Why did I not know we have an Audi Q5?” Lanny mumbled as she watched Daehyun drive at the front seat. “And he drives like a racer. I’m gonna die of a heart attack.”

“I can hear you, coffee,” Daehyun said as he continued to focus on driving. “Is my driving too fast for you? Do you want me to slow down?”

She just shook her head and slumped on the seat. “I still have no idea where are we going…”

“I told you we’re going to meet your in-laws. Didn’t you hear me? I’ll answer your queries as soon as we reached our destination, okay? I don’t wanna get caught in any accident.”

Lanny pouted in disappointment. She took her favorite gray backpack and dug for her phone and headphones. When she found them, she put the headphones on her ears and plugged it on her phone. She unlocked her lockscreen – a picture of Kim Han Bin with Kim Ji Won – and tapped the music player. She browsed some songs then played I’m Different.

I wonder what she’s listening to… does she still remember our song? he thought as he continued to focus on driving. “Hey coffee, share me your music… please?”

She was too absorbed in Beenzino’s swearing that she cannot hear him. Her head was banging with DJ Tukutz’ beat, her eyes closed in joy and her mind echoing the song’s prolific lyrics.

The traffic light turned red, giving Daehyun an opportunity to disturb her. He unplugged the headphones, surprised to hear that she’s listening to such song.

“Since when did you get interested in diss tracks?” he questioned her disapprovingly.

She shot him with her judging stare and defended, “It’s not just a diss track, you know. It’s Epik High with Beenzino, Verbal Jiny, Mino, Bobby and my B.I, d’oh~ If you’re a High Skool you’ll understand. But since you’re not, this would just sound as a diss track for you.”

“Your music taste has widen, hasn’t it? I remember you were just fangirling over TVXQ and g.o.d and S and Super Junior…”

“Hey, I’m not that old!” she punched him on the head fondly.

“And what do you mean by ‘you B.I’?”

A loud honk reminded Daehyun that the traffic light turned green. He gave Lanny the I’ll-deal-with-you-later look before he continued to drive.

“Play something else.”

“Like what?”

“Our theme song.”

“We have one?”

“Of course we do. Every drama has its own OST.”

“What’s our OST then?”

A sweet smile cracked on Daehyun’s lips as he reminisced November 20, 2011, 13:43.

Lanny was down with the flu, covered in thick blankets. He visited her in her apartment because for the first time in forever, she was absent from class. He decided to skip classes to nurse her instead.

Her fed her chicken soup, cleaned her flat, did her laundry and gave her medicine.

Sleep was not beside Lanny but she wants to have shuteye badly. So, she tugged Daehyun and begged him, “Please play me a song.”

Daehyun laughed at her rather childish request. “You want a lullaby? You’re not a baby, you know.”

“But I want to sleep. Yet I can’t. I’ve been tossing and turning but still sleep has not evaded me. Please? Just play Mirotic…” she tugged and tugged his shirt until he gave in.

“Alright, alright. Just one song then you’ll sleep. Okay?” he told her as he took her phone from the night table. He tried to turn it on, but the phone screen was still blank. “I think your phone is dead. And I don’t have Mirotic on my phone.”

She whined in dismay upon hearing Daehyun.

Aish, I’m just gonna force myself to sleep. Damnation carnation conden–

“I'm sad because I can only look, because I cannot touch/You stand right before me and I'm always behind you/I'm always standing in the shadow, crying with my shadowed face/I can't even ask you to turn around/Again I am crying/Even when tomorrow comes, I love you/I love you more than yesterday/Without being able to express what's in my heart/Again today, I love you…”

“D-Daehyun-ah… I thought you don’t like OSTs…”

He paused from singing, replying to Lanny, “I don’t, I just sing their songs.”

“You know I love Princess Man that’s why you know that song, don’t you?”

He curled his lips into a shy smile.

“AH! That’s why I have it on my phone. Omo, now I know the reason why I’m still holding on to that old song.” Lanny commented as she clicked play I’m Loving You Today on her phone.

“I'm sad because I can only look, because I cannot touch/You stand right before me and I'm always behind you/I'm always standing in the shadow, crying with my shadowed face/I can't even ask you to turn around/Again I am crying/Even when tomorrow comes, I love you/I love you more than yesterday/Without being able to express what's in my heart/Again today, I love you/I don't want to be behind you/I always want to be next to you~~~~” she sang off-tunely as the song started playing.

“You know I love you Lanny, but please stop singing. It’s hard to drive on a slippery road,” Daehyun scolded her.

I knew we were going to Busan, Lanny thought as she inhaled the scent of fresh grass, gardenia blossoms, spring ambience and grilled wagyu beef. Most of the good-looking men and women in Kpop groups came from Busan.

As she was going to turn to her right, Daehyun appeared, holding a fork with beef skewed on it. He shoved it into Lanny’s mouth then asked, “Is it good? I grilled it well because I knew you don’t like it half-cooked.”

“Omo, I think I’m in heaven,” she murmured as she chewed the beef slowly. “This is really good. Is there anything you can’t do?”

“Leave you alone, of course. Come,  –locks hand with Lanny–  let’s eat the picnic table. My family’s got a lot of questions to ask you.”

She blurted, “Maybe I should make an askfm account instead…”

All eyes were on Lanny as they seated. Daehyun’s mother, father and two brothers observed her every move. They watched her chew, swallow, cut and drink. Daehyun’s father decided to break the silence.

“So, Lanny… What did you like about Daehyun?”

Lanny looked at Daehyun before she answered. “He’s sweet, he’s caring, he never forgets even the smallest details, he’s umm, he’s like a Swiss knife.”

“She’s witty, I like her,” Himchan – Daehyun’s older brother –  commented, staring at his sister-in-law fondly. He elbowed the oldest brother Yongguk and gave him the say-something look.

“She’s not Korean, but she’s good-looking,” Yongguk blurted after being hurt by Himchan.

Himchan covered his face with his hand in embarrassment. “Forgive him, for he is quite stupid and/or spacing out sometimes.”

She waved her hand as a sign of saying no and added, “It’s fine. I guess it’s the first time to meet an outsider…” She mumbled her last sentence with pain.

“I apologize for Yongguk’s weirdness. It’s not what you think. He’s like that when he’s shy. We like you, Lanny. I’ve never seen my son this enthusiastic in life. Please take care of my son,” Daehyun’s mother comforted her.

“Yah! Eomma!” he pouted. “I’m not the same seven-year-old Dae Dae who eats even the cookie dough.”

Lanny can’t help but giggle at Daehyun’s red face. Her laugh was contagious, making everybody laugh except Daehyun.

“Welcome to the family, Lanny!”

“They’re the only ones who are happy…” Daehyun snorted as he stared at his laughing family.


Yehet finally an update! Talk to me juseyo @legityaminohime legityaminohime.tumblr.com/ask

Is there anyone out there reading this? T-T