Hello, Library Boy

Cheesecake with Coffee (Fried Tofu Cake sequel) [on-going: chapter 16] #ALIVEEEEEE

 

It’s a sunny Thursday afternoon. The weather’s nice, saying it’s a good day for a long trip. Lanny wore her white “Keep Calm Because Naega Jeil Jal Naga” shirt with denim blue pants and pink chucks while Daehyun was clad in a black V-neck shirt, ragged white pants and blue sneakers with silver aviator shades.

Lanny has still no clue where they are going, despite being dragged by Daehyun with matching locked hands. Her confidence reached the top of Mount Everest, all thanks to the damsels in disappointment.

Mwa ha ha ha ha! If I could stick my tongue on their faces, I would. Who would’ve thought a plain lay would marry an alluring man? Wait, lemme revise what I said. Who would’ve thought an alluring man named Jung Dae Hyun would marry a simple Lanny… what was my maiden name?

“Daehyun, where are we going?” That’s Lanny’s first question. He did not answer, still focused on walking and holding her hand.

“Daehyun, where are we going?” she mouthed her query for the second time. Am I invisible? Mother father then why take me here? Hell-o~

He cocked his head to face her and flashed a vibrant grin.

She blushed at the sight of his smile but hid her giddiness. “Yah! Your smile is not the answer to my question! Where the hell are we going?!”

“Kiss me, then I’ll tell you,” he , leaning his cheek close to her.

Lanny ordered him to close his eyes. Daehyun did not hesitate to follow her and anticipated for her much-awaited kiss. She clenched her fist, kissed it then smacked Daehyun on his lips. After that, Daehyun opened his eyes and saw Lanny biting her lip, halting her laughter.

“You naughty Lanny, you fooled me!” he whimpered as he watched her stifling her laughter.

“Look who’s talking. You’re the one who’s begging for a kiss then I’m the one who’s naughty? Why won’t you just tell me where are we going? Do you want me to be lovey-dovey to you? Do you want me to  –rests her head on Daehyun’s shoulder– do this? Or do you want me to do this  –bites Daehyun’s shoulder–  instead. Huh?  –blinks–”

Daehyun’s eyes got wider and his cheeks turned crimson. Lanny, you don’t seduce me in public. You only do that at home. Ungh…

She waved her hand near his face and yelled, “Hello? Daehyun on Earth?”

He snapped back to reality and looked to his left. “Ah, we’re already here,” he said as he pointed The National Library of Korea.

“A library?”

Daehyun nodded.

“Yeeey~ You really know me, huh? Let’s go!” she dragged him inside with glee.

“I’m curious why we’re here. Shed a light on my curiosity, please,” Lanny whispered as she walked side-by-side with Daehyun to the registry booth.

As they approached the booth, Daehyun took his wallet, brought out two cars and gave it to the woman behind the glass window. Then the woman took their cards.

The woman examined their cards and remarked, “Ah, you must be the Bookworm Couple my eomoni told me. My, I wish eomoni was here to see you again. Mm…  –reads Lanny’s card–  Jung Lanny-sshi and  –reads Daehyun’s card–  Jung… Dae Hyun-sshi. I guess she’s right,  –looks at Daehyun–  the boyfriend is handsome and the girlfriend is  –looks at Lanny–  beautiful…” But she mockingly uttered in low tone, “Sorta.”

Aish, insulting me in front of me and even flirting my I’m-not-yet-sure husband! I’m gonna shove a Stephen-King-horror-novel silverfish nest in ! Damnation carnation condensation!

Daehyun interlaced his fingers with hers and pulled her. “Let’s go,” he invited. “Shall we go to the classics?”

Lanny’s face turned tomato at her thought, Omo, he likes classic, too? Totally my type. No wonder why I married him.

He noticed her red face, making him flash his swoon-inducing smile.

AHHHH! Why did you have to smile? Aigoo… He’s making me fall faster! Aish…

After leaving their personal effects in the locker room, Lanny can’t help but notice how Daehyun totally affected all the ladies in sight.

“Wow, a hit with the chicks, huh?” she muttered as they passed by the horde of damsels in disappointment.

“But I don’t want a chick. I want a golden hen,” he replied as he looks into her eyes.

“ you,” she mouthed with no sound.

He scratched his head at her answer. She’s still not good at taking my pickup lines. Or maybe I’m just bad at it.

It took them a minute ride on the elevator to reach the second floor – the Language, Literature and Library of Information Science section.

When they landed on their destination, Daehyun simply observed Lanny spazzing over a shelf of American classic novels. She took three Jane Austen paperbacks then seated at a table near the shelf. Daehyun took the chair beside her.

“Oh, Daehyun. You’re not getting a book? You’re not a bookworm?” she asked, echoing disappointment.

He pointed Pride and Prejudice and answered, “You already took the one I want.”

“I-I’m sorry…” She handed the book to him with a folksy smile.

“So…” he rested his arms on the table and observed her. “You like romance?”

She nodded with joy. “Romance novels are the best. They can make me feel what it’s like to fall in love without falling in love. Sounds stupid, right? That’s stupid for people who have fallen in love. But for a hopeless romantic like me, that’s perfectly normal. I mean, come on. I’m an alien in this image-obsessed country. I don’t even pass the beauty standards here. I’m not white, I’m not thin, I’m not even beautiful.”

“You’re still Miss Hopeless-yet-Thick-headed, Lanny. Feed on some confidence.  –taps Lanny’s shoulder–  Be like Lizzie Bennett.”

She lowered her head, bit her lip and avoided Daehyun’s eyes. “T-Thank you…” she stated as her fingers quiver in chagrin. What the hell is he doing? He’s driving me insane. I feel like singing Going Crazy.

“You even have the same reaction like the first time we met,” he commented as he flipped Pride and Prejudice open.

“WHAT?!?” she exclaimed, standing up in shock. “THIS IS WHERE WE FIRST–”

“SSSHHH!!!” shushed the people on the other tables.

She bowed, apologizing, “I’m so sorry.” She took her seat and whispered to Daehyun, “So, we’re reenacting our past?”

A small smile was his reply. Then he added, “I’m still surprised you were the same Lanny Dayrit I met five years ago. Some things never change.  –ruffles Lanny’s hair–”

“You could’ve told me already…”

“I want it to be a surprise.”

“Parties are the only things you’re supposed to hold in surprise,” she whined.

They just came home from their library trip. Lanny and Daehyun slouched on the sofa, quite tired. Lanny looked at Daehyun who just rested his head on her shoulder. She knew the trip wasn’t the end of their reminiscing travel.

“Yah! Tell me more about what happened! Please Daehyun, oh please!!!” Lanny nagged as she pulled Daehyun’s t-shirt and showing her puppy eyes.

“Relax, tomorrow you’ll know more. Now please stop tugging my shirt or else I’ll take it off.”

What kind of blackmail is that? Lanny wondered. He he he~ It’s so tempting~ but no, no, no!  –shakes head–  I’m not yet sure he’s my husband.  –lets go of Daehyun’s shirt–

Just as Daehyun was going to stand, Lanny queried, “So where are we going tomorrow?”

He turned to face her and answered, “You’ll know tomorrow.”