Chapter #9

Tiny Little Men
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I shall see you by the light of morn, though you shall not see me.

When you least expect it, observed you shall be."

"Are you going to keep reading that over and over, or come to bed?"

"It just doesn't make any sense," Baekhyun whines. "I don't know how you can sleep right now."

Chanyeol sighs, sits up in his bed, then goes over and sits next to Baekhyun on the floor. "Because I'm tired, and if someone's going to be watching us in the morning then we need to be rested to see them. Staying up all night isn't going to help the situation at all."

"But someone is obviously stalking you! How, and I mean this with the deepest sincerity, can you think of anything other than finding this person?!"

Chanyeol sighs, accepting his defeat with dignity. His next job is to go and get them some coffee, since they'll never stay up long enough to decipher who it is without it, and to come out of this with no sleep or answers would be a complete waste. Whilst in the kitchen with the coffee machine on, Chanyeol hears the front door rocking about in the frame. Who would be shaking it at this time of night? Unless...

With wide eyes, Chanyeol makes his way slowly over to the font door. If this is how the intruder is going to watch them - from the apartment - they're going to get a surprise when they see Chanyeol. But realising he doesn't look very intimidating, the large fellow runs back to the kitchen and grabs the first frying pan he sees, wielding it like a bat as he takes up his place by the door once more.

The wooden door shakes in it's frame again, almost like someone's purposely trying to be loud. Would this person try to wake them all up, or would even they consider that a bit stupid?

The door rocks a third time, like someone is running up against it, and at last somebody else in the apartment hears the banging. Kris comes sauntering out of his bedroom, Tao in the front pocket of his shirt.

"Whoever that is, tell them to pack it in," Kris remarks calmly, baffling Chanyeol who is still holding the frying pan as if to knock someone out movie style.

"What? How can you be so calm?!" Chanyeol whispers loudly, suddenly understanding how Baek was feeling ten minutes ago, but that's not the point.

"Because that door is enforced. No-one's coming in unless you open it, so open the damn thing and we can all go back to sleep."

Chanyeol scoffs, "Sleep...I miss that."

The shorter of the two stupidly tall men puts a hand on the handle, gently pressing down as he readies the frying pan in his hand. With a flick of his wrist, the door goes swinging open to reveal Sehun stood rubbing his arm in pain, Luhan on his shoulder. The little guy puts his hands over his face to stop the frying pan hitting him, unaware Chanyeol drops it instead.

"What in the hell are you doing out here?"

"Luhan insisted I check the door to make sure nobody could come in."

"It's enforced," Kris shouts from the kitchen.

"I know that, but he wasn't taking that as an answer," Sehun grumbles. "So..." Sehun rocks awkwardly on his heels, "Here we are. Just a couple of normal people stood out in a hallway in the middle of the night, one of whom is three inches tall."

"You have a point, get in here."

* *

By the time Chanyeol finally gets to sleep, it's well into the next day. Around five am to be exact, though the rest of the house was awake as well. They've all been awake for hours, courtesy of five little divas. Tao taking to shouting at Kris when he tried to sleep, Kyungsoo using violence and beating Jongin with his tiny fists, Minseok walking along Jongdae's body until he stirs awake, Luhan giving Sehun puppy-dog eyes whenever he asked to sleep, and Baekhyun hitting the earlier acquired frying pan with a pen when Chanyeol tried to get some shut-eye. The last being the most effective as it woke anyone who managed to slip under the radar. And lastly are Suho and Yixing. Suho was the diva in that situation, lightly tugging at the rug Yixing was trying to sleep on whenever he thought it necessary, jolting the little man awake with a grumble.

"I think I have an idea about who it could be," Suho would say every single time without fail, boring Yixing around the seventh time, though he sat up nonetheless so as not to disappoint Suho.

"You said that the last time. And the one before that."

"I know, but this time I think I've got it."

"I've heard that before," Yixing would mumble under his breath, listen to Suho's bogus theory about the 'suspicious' old woman across he street stalking them, then curl up again and try to get a little power nap in before Suho's next crazy theory.

But in the Baekyeol room, Chanyeol has managed to lie down without Baekhyun waking him, and he's cherishing he moment. It started off as him just needing to close his eyes, but now he's ready to take a few hours under his wing. Opening his eyes just slightly, Chanyeol notices Baekhyun reaching for the pen without looking what he's doing, just acting on instinct and the idea that Chanyeol has been too quiet for too long. But as he nears the frying pan with the airborne biro, Chanyeol lashes out and grabs it with his hand, blocking it's pathway to the metal cooking utensil.

"Please," Chanyeol whimpers, his eyes still shut. "Please just let me sleep."

"But we haven't cracked this yet, we need to stay awake until we have."

"Baek," Chanyeol whispers as he props himself up on his elbows, "Just please let me sleep. There are ten other guys on this right now, one of them will get it before we wake up."

"Ha, we? I'm staying awake. And you should too."

"Okay, I'll strike a deal with you. If you let me sleep, which I would highly recommend, I'll let you do anything tomorrow. Like if you want to go to the shops I'll carry you, if you want to go dancing I'll take you, hell, if you want to go to Japan I'll pay for your damn ticket. I just really want some sleep right now." Chanyeol looks close to sobbing, so Baekhyun nods his head slowly. "Thank you Baekkie!"

With one swipe of his hand, Chanyeol has Baekhyun lying next to him in surprise as the large fellow carries them to the bed and lies them both down under the covers.

"Hang on, I never said I was sleeping too!"

"No, but I sleep better with you next to me," Chanyeol shamelessly admits, recalling how his best night's sleep in 22 years was the night Baekhyun arrived.

"But...the investigation," Baekhyun weakly argues as he pulls the covers up to his chin and uses Chanyeol's arm as his pillow.

"It can be finished tomorrow. For now, just sleep." The human reaches up and switches off the light from above his head, plunging them both into darkness and sleep.

* *

Chanyeol is woken up by the banging on the frying pan once more, but this time there's daylight pouring through the windows. The metal pen beats on the metal pan, growing more annoying with every hit.

"Baekkie, I like you, but if you don't stop hitting that damned pan I'm going to--"

"Err I'm right here," Baekhyun responds from literally next to Chanyeol's face, startling him.

"Oh! Sorry...then who's that?"

"It's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter