Chapter 30

Love Unexpected

“I should f-ing kill you!”

Yeah, those were the first words Luhan spoke after Chanyeol explained exactly how Minseok had fallen down right before he went into labor. So it had happened just as Chanyeol had expected, death threats and all.

“Sorry hyung! I am really sorry!” Chanyeol kneeled down, begging for forgiveness. Luhan didn’t seem any less angry despite his pleading.

“Luhan, you should come in here.” So Ra called for Luhan, rescuing Chanyeol from his vigorous apology session.

Luhan quickly forgot about Chanyeol, he wanted to be by Minseok’s side for the delivery. In fact he had only stepped out of the room because Minseok had told him to- well, ordered him to leave using a string of profanities that included several accusations of “this is all your fault you f-er”.

Minseok was at home, set to give birth at the Eastern Dawn mansion. Doctor Yang was there ready to deliver the pups. It was better this way than in a hospital, where the staff would probably not know how to fully handle hybrid births. At least Dr. Yang was an expert and So Ra was more than qualified to assist in the delivery.

Luhan walked back into the room, So Ra grabbed his arm as he entered “It will be soon” She whispered.

Minseok let out a loud wail. His face was covered in sweat, flushed. His expression was contorted, telling of the pain he was in.

“God damnit Lu!” He yelled as soon as he noticed Luhan had reentered the room.

Luhan ran over to his mate, grabbing his hand tightly no matter how hard Minseok tried to yank it away. He felt like crying at the sight of Minseok in so much pain.

“Min, I’m here.”

“That is the ing problem! This is all your faauuuuu-“Minseok’s head fell back, his curses became a scream.

“Breathe Minseok, breathe. Now push.” Doctor Yang, situated at the end of the bed, instructed his patient.

“Push Min.” Luhan seconded the doctor’s instructions.

“Go to hell.” Minseok managed to say in between deep breaths.

“Good, good. Push.” Doctor Yang instructed.

“Push dear.” Luhan once again seconded the doctor’s orders.

“Gooooo tooo-“Minseok cried out, “Heeelllllll”

Luhan nearly fainted at what happened next. It was a blur if he tried to recount the events. There was a whine, Minseok was still yelling, breathing, pushing, and then another whine. And then he saw them, his children. Their children. The doctor delivered them, handing them off to So Ra. She was holding one...was it Yunho or Sunhi? He couldn’t be sure, the tiny little thing was covered in blood, in the fluids of birth. Then there were two. And they were perfect. They were so ing perfect.

Luhan came back to earth as Doctor Yang told Minseok he had done a good job, to relax.

“Min, they are perfect.” Luhan whispered, holding Minseok’s hand. This time Minseok did not yank his hand away, he squeezed it instead. They were both crying as So Ra and Doctor Yang brought their children to them.

They were so little, their eyes still closed. Like most hybrids they were born in wolf form, they would learn to shift to human form in the coming weeks. For now they were tiny little wolf pups. Yunho had a dark coat, almost as dark as Minseok’s. Sunhi was lighter, her coloring closer to Luhan’s.

Minseok took his son and daughter into his arms, Luhan sitting next to him. Was this what it felt like to be complete? A void that Minseok had felt his entire life seemed to suddenly be filled.

“They are perfect.” Minseok, tears of happiness streaming down his face, whispered.

The new family didn’t notice when Doctor Yang and So Ra left the room, giving them time alone. They were in their own little world, a world they had worked so hard for.

***

“Is everything okay?!” Sung Woo asked So Ra as soon as she walked into the living room. Fifteen other worried faces lit up as soon as they saw the Eastern Dawn elder, all of them concerned for Minseok and the pups.

“Everything is fine. You are a grandpa now, congratulations.” So Ra patted Sung Woo on the shoulder. The old wolf seemed relieved and ecstatic at the same time. Minseok’s mother was sitting on the couch, calm and distant as she had been for some time. When Sung Woo explained that she was a grandma she flashed a tiny smile, whether it signaled she understood the words (So Ra doubted it) the reaction was still fitting.

“Oh, thank god.” Suho exclaimed, relieved. He had been beyond worried for his pack leader, his best friend, since Chanyeol had told him what had happened. “Are the pups healthy? A boy and girl, right?”

“Yep. Yunho and Sunhi.” So Ra could not help but smile widely as she recalled how happy Minseok looked holding the tiny little pups.

“Wait…they named him after me?” Professor Jung had rushed to the house as soon as he heard that the newest hybrid generation was soon to enter this world, he had no idea that they were planning on naming their offspring after him. He was shocked and extremely flattered.

“It appears so.” So Ra answered.

“You lucky bastard.” Changmin muttered, holding onto Victoria’s hand as they reclined in the small love seat.

“Hey! I will have you know I am a very upstanding individual!” Professor Jung protested, but Changmin was no longer paying any attention, he had turned his attention to the excited group of hybrids in front of him.

“I knew hyung would get through it okay.” Tao smiled brightly.

“Really? Then why were you crying a half an hour ago talking about what would happen if he did not?” Sehun rolled his eyes at his mate.

“Yeah, you were totally freaked out a few minutes ago.” Baekhyun joined in.

“Hey, let’s not forget what is important here. It was Chanyeol that started this whole thing.” Jongdae didn’t miss an opportunity to make a dig at the cheerful oaf.

“Hey! How was I supposed to know he would go into labor like that?” Chanyeol threw his hands up, exaggerating his frustration.

“Um…because you should know better than to scare a pregnant person half to death?” Kyungsoo joined in.

“Yeah, I would think that is just common sense.” A deep voice added his two sense.

Kyungsoo nodded in agreement before it hit him – he had never heard that voice before. He whirled around to see who had just spoken.

“Wait…who in the hell are you?” Chanyeol asked, the entire group turning in alarm to see the new comer.

He was tall, blonde, and had an oddly familiar face. Where had they seen him before?

“Are you guys serious? You know me.” He answered, tilting his head in a cool and unassuming way.

“No...We don’t.” Kyungsoo answered as Jongin stepped in front of him, always ready to play the protector for his mate.

“Sorry guys!” Yixing practically tripped into the room. They hadn’t noticed he had stepped out until now. “I meant to tell you…”

“Tell us what?” Suho asked, his eyebrows cocked in confusion.

“Uh, well, um…this is Kris.” Yixing rubbed a hand through his hair, his dimples popping up as he looked sheepish.

“The bunny?!” Everyone seemed to exclaim at once.

“I prefer rabbit.” Kris answered, walking over to an armchair and taking a seat.

“Uh, yeah. Seems we aren’t the only hybrids.” Yixing answered, still looking a tad bit embarrassed he had forgotten to clue his pack mates in, “But he is harmless! I swear!”

“I am not harmless, I am fierce.” Kris explained, examining his nails and attempting to look bored with the entire situation.

Chanyeol burst out laughing, and Sehun, Baekhyun, Tao, and Jongdae quickly joined in.

“You? You are a tiny adorable little bunny!” Jongdae was practically doubled over with laughter.

“I am not a cute little bunny! I am a cool, stylish…”

Kris’s explanation was cut short when Doctor Yang entered the room.

“They said visitors are welcome, but only one or two at a time.” Doctor Yang looked tired but happy, just like the rest of them.

Shouts of me first were heard throughout the room as everyone argued who would get to be the first of the hybrids to see their leader’s pups.

“Sung Woo first.” So Ra stopped their arguing immediately, noting how much Minseok’s Father’s eyes lit up at her words.

“Me?” He asked, his voice shaky. While he had been instrumental in putting forth the hybrid rights movement he was also someone who had treated his son very badly in the past. Their relationship was beginning to heal but was far from perfect so he didn’t expect to be the first to see his grandchildren.

“Yes, Minseok requested that you be the first.” Doctor Yang seconded So Ra’s words.

Sung Woo took a deep breath, it was time to go see his grandchildren.

***

Minseok had shifted into wolf form, he needed to nurse the pups. He marveled at how they naturally knew how to nurse, even with their eyes closed. He marveled at how it felt to give nourishment to his pups – from outside the womb.

Luhan had shifted as well, he felt like it was the only thing to do. They were lying on the bed, the pups at Minseok’s side, Luhan lying behind him, taking in the site of his mate and their offspring.

They didn’t speak for many minutes, communicating as they knew how in this form, all slight gestures and body movements.

The pups finished nursing, falling asleep burrowed in Minseok’s side. Visitors would be coming soon, but neither man wanted to shift back. So they didn’t.

When the door opened and Sung Woo stepped inside, Minseok looked up at his father, drinking in his face, drinking in the fact the old man was crying. When Sung Woo noted their form he shifted too, after stepping into the bathroom of course to stop the embarrassment of disrobing in human form (or ripping his clothes to shreds).

Sung Woo as a wolf was a brute- a big black wolf with visible scars if you looked hard enough. Minseok noticed a streak of gray was evident in his coat now, a sign of his age.

Minseok welcomed his Father close, Sung Woo approaching the sleeping pups cautiously. Minseok thought it was better like this, that this was how his Father met his grandchildren. In their wolf form they did not need to speak, they just did. They just acted. And everything about the way Sung Woo acted told Minseok more than words probably could – he was happy, he was relieved that Minseok was safe and healthy, and he was overjoyed to see his grandchildren.

After many minutes the pups woke up, squirming away from Minseok in a small sign of independence. They sensed their grandfather, or at least it seemed like they did. Sung Woo picked them up by the scruff of the neck, one by one, and nuzzled them. Luhan and Minseok looked on, finding a sort of contentment from seeing their children meet their grandparent for the first time. Life was truly wonderful.

***

“So which pack do they belong to?” Chanyeol asked, Baekhyun smacking him on the arm as soon as he blurted out the question.

Minseok and Luhan were back in human form, the pups sleeping soundly in a small crib. Chanyeol and Baekhyun had won the intense game of rock paper scissors that had decided the next visitors after Sung Woo and Professor Jung (who had cried as well at the site, and thanked both of them for naming one of their children after him).

“Yah! They belong to both packs.” Baekhyun had one wish for Christmas and that was Chanyeol learning to control his mouth.

“Hey! What was that for?!” Chanyeol rubbed his arm, pretending the slap hurt far more than it actually did, “Usually pups would belong to the Alpha’s pack.”

Luhan and Minseok looked at each other. In all honesty they had never really discussed this, after all the packs had been living together for months now. Even if they were technically two different packs, in practice they lived as one.

“I think-“Luhan started, but Minseok quickly cut him off.

“They can decide once they are old enough.” Minseok smiled, looking over at the pups.

“That is great hyung! I will try to convince them to join our pack!” Chanyeol said energetically, earning another slap from Baekhyun. Luhan and Minseok just laughed, imagining Chanyeol’s future join our pack campaign.

***

“Did it hurt?” Kyungsoo was holding his hyung’s hand.

“Yeah, a lot.” Minseok answered.

“He told me to go to hell at least a hundred times while he was in labor.” Luhan was holding Yunho, who had woken up a few minutes before.

“Hey, don’t swear in front of the kids!” Minseok shot Luhan an annoyed look.

“You were swearing when they were born!” Luhan shot back.

“I think hyung is right, you probably shouldn’t swear. Who knows how early they can pick that up?” Kyungsoo backed up his pack leader.

Luhan had learned over the last few months when to back down, so he did. He turned his attention to Jongin, “Do you want to hold him?”

“Me?!” Jongin looked afraid.

“It will be fine Jongin. Besides, what will you do when you have your own pups?” Luhan held Yunho towards Jongin.

Jongin blushed at the mention of pups of his own, Minseok noticed the shy little look that passed between Kyungsoo and Jongin at the mention of children. Jongin took the pup in his arms, holding him awkwardly.

“He is so tiny.” Jongin whispered, staring down at the tiny thing. Kyungsoo beamed at the sight of his mate holding a pup, imagining how it would look when he was holding their own children.

***

“We should start them on Dragon Ball soon, maybe tomorrow?” Jongdae was cradling Sunhi in his arms, surprisingly a natural when it came to kids.

“You are not showing my kids anime on their second day on this earth.” Luhan shook his head and sighed.

“Three days then?” Jongdae tried again.

Suho was busy leaning over Minseok, staring at Yunho. He had refused to hold him because he was too afraid he would drop him accidently, but he was fascinated by the squirming little pup.

“Do you think they know they are hybrids?” Suho asked, hesitantly petting the small pup on the top of the head gently.

“I don’t know. If they did they would probably want to watch Dragon Ball though. Isn’t that right Sunhi?” Jongdae cooed.

“All right, get out and stop corrupting my daughter.” Luhan shooed Jongdae away much to his annoyance.

***

“I bought the light pink, navy blue, orange, lime green, periwinkle and red ones because I wasn’t sure what color they would like.” Tao had entered the room with his arms full of outfits.

“He is clearly suffering from too much free time now he doesn’t have anyone to follow around.” Sehun sauntered in behind Tao, his own baby bump evident now that he was further along in his pregnancy.

“Thanks Tao.” Minseok smiled at his pack’s maknae. Tao always meant well, even if his actions didn’t always seem like it. “I am sure they will like them all.”

“Ohhh my god! They are so cute! Hun-ah they are adorable!” Tao squealed, dropping the outfits on the dresser and rushing over to where Luhan and Minseok were holding the pups.

 

Luhan instinctively held Yunho tighter at the sight of Tao rushing over.

Sehun looked at his mate ahhing and ohhhing over the pups, and he had to admit he liked the site. The pups were adorable, a perfect mix between Luhan and Minseok. They were so tiny, so fragile. He put a hand on his stomach, thinking about his own pups. Doctor Yang had confirmed that he was having an unusually large litter, five pups in all. He wondered what it would be like when he gave birth, when Tao was making a fuss over their pups.

“Hun-ah, he burped!” Tao held Sunhi closely, smiling.

She burped” Minseok corrected, “That is Sunhi.”

“Oh, sorry, she burped.” Tao moved on from his mistake quickly by starting to sing a lullaby to the pup.

Sehun walked up to his mate, taking the small baby in his arms when Tao offered to hand her over. She was certainly beautiful.

“Congratulations hyungs.” Sehun said, staring at the tiny pup. He meant it too, for all of the ill will he had towards Minseok in the beginning, for all of his moodiness, he truly meant it.

“Thanks Sehun.” Minseok smiled, truly happy at how things had turned out.

***

“Who in the hell are you?!” Luhan asked, stepping forward to back the stranger out of the room and away from his family.

“Hyung! Hyung! It’s okay. That is Kris.” Yixing threw himself in between Luhan and the tall blonde man.

“Who in the is Kris?” Luhan asked.

“Stop swearing in front of the kids!” Minseok shouted, not ready to let this rule go even if a stranger had invaded their room.

Yixing ignored Minseok and launched into an explanation, “Do you remember my bunny?”

“Rabbit!” Kris corrected him.

“Uh, yeah, well sorry I didn’t tell you but he is a hybrid too.” Yixing explained in a hurry.

“Bahaha! You are the bunny?” Luhan couldn’t control his face when he laughed (as usual), his jaw seeming to become disjointed with his laughter.

“I am not a bunny!” Kris hated it. Why did everyone call him that?

Minseok was laughing too, which apparently set off one of the pups, who began to whine.

Yixing looked worried that he had caused the commotion. “Sorry hyung. Is it okay if he visits too?”

“Sure. What is a bunny going to do?” Luhan chuckled, returning to Minseok’s side.

Yixing felt relieved. Kris felt annoyed. They both took a few minutes to appreciate how cute the pups were before they returned to a room full of people ready to tease the bunny. It was funny how things turned out.

***

Three weeks later

So Ra had been happy to puppy sit. If she hadn’t been (which was probably never going to happen) there were ten other people that would have been happy to do it. The only problem was that Minseok and Luhan had varying degrees of faith in how well those ten people would do taking care of young pups. So it was a good thing So Ra had said yes.

It was the first time they had been away from Yunho and Sunhi since the pups were born, but the night before they had decided they needed a couple of hours to themselves. The pups were a joy, except when they decided to wake up every hour (taking turns waking up of course, so sleep was nonexistent) or when they made it loud and clear shifting was fun to do when they were busy filling their diapers (which usually ended up in a mess all over their crib). Luhan and Minseok learned quickly that life as parents meant changing a lot of things – like what their life revolved around. It was the pups now, and even if they loved it, they needed a little break.

They were both too tired to make grand plans so instead they decided to go to the café for some coffee and then take a long walk. The café was returning to its busy season with students returning to high school. Luhan and Minseok had both taken the next semester off of college to ease into their parenthood without distraction.

They found a seat near the window. Yixing delivered their drinks with a big smile and a “fighting”, which made both men grin and look a tad bit embarrassed at the same time.

Minseok took a big drink of his Americano, savoring the taste.

“Has anyone ever told you that you look cute when you drink coffee?” Luhan flashed a cheesy smile.

“Has anyone ever told you that you at pickup lines?” Minseok smiled back.

“Uh…well…” Luhan looked around, “Hey, what do you think the pups are doing?”

“Probably ting and pissing or eating or sleeping.” Minseok answered, taking another drink.

“Hmm, probably.” Luhan agreed. As cute as they were they were still babies and that is what babies do.

“It was nice to have my Mom visit them the other day.” Minseok and Luhan had not really talked that much about Sunhi visiting her namesake, but it had gone remarkably well. She was calm, fascinated actually. She was not ready, at least mentally, to realize what the tiny pups were to her, but she was kind to them nonetheless.

“It was.” Luhan reached out for Minseok’s hand.

Minseok reached right back, taking Luhan’s hand in his own. They sat that way for a bit, drinking coffee and holding hands. Making small talk, laughing about the latest errand Sehun had sent Tao on. Joking about how long it would take Kyungsoo to kill Chanyeol for his latest infraction. Talking about the packs, talking about how Professor Jung (much to his embarrassment) was recently featured on a news program as a man who had dedicated himself to hybrid rights and deserved an award. A man to be admired.

“Are you Minseok and Luhan?” A soft voice sounded. Minseok and Luhan looked up to see a teenage girl standing and staring down at them. “Uh- I- uh sorry to interrupt but I saw you on television and I think it is really great what you did for hybrids. You are both kind of my heroes. Can I have your autographs?”

The girl held a notepad out, a pen in her hand.

Minseok was a little surprised but he hid it behind a smile.

“What is your name?”

“Wendy.”

Minseok signed quickly, making it out to Wendy and adding a note “If you believe in it you can do it.” He handed the pen to Luhan, who added his own message of “Fight for what is right.”

“Oh, thank you! I really respect both of you!” She held the notepad close as she bowed.

“Thanks.” Minseok and Luhan bowed slightly in turn, smiling as the girl retreated back to the table with her three friends.

“Did anyone ever tell you that you are cute when people are busy telling you that you are their hero?” Luhan asked, smirking.

“Shut up pretty boy.” Luhan could swear he saw Minseok blush, “Let’s go for a walk.”

***

It was still hot in Seoul, but the temperature was beginning to drop as the sun set. Hand in hand they walked, away from the Angel Café. They did not have a destination in mind, instead they wanted to ramble and enjoy a stroll.

They talked about a lot of things, none of which were terribly important in the grand scheme of things. Luhan talked a lot about soccer, Minseok did too. They discussed how horrible Suho was at cooking but how Kyungsoo should really open his own restaurant. They talked about fashion, and how much Minseok had started eying up Givenchy outfits (“I thought you hated rich boy clothes” Luhan teased).

Before long they had reached a familiar place, the university campus. Neither man had to say a word because they both were thinking, remembering, something from many months ago. They both stopped, hand in hand, and looked at the university courtyard.

It was months ago, in the throes of winter. It had been snowing, the air had been frigid and dry, opposite of the current climate.

“Thanks for picking my pocket that day.” Luhan squeezed Minseok’s hand, smiling at the memory. It wasn’t a happy thing at the time, but it had turned into the best thing that had ever happened to him.

“No problem, pretty boy.” Minseok answered, turning to Luhan.

“It was a bit unexpected.” Luhan grinned, pulling Minseok into his arms. Minseok turned his face from where it was buried in Luhan’s chest so he could survey the campus alongside his mate. They both looked over the landscape, remembering what had happened last winter.

“It was unexpected. I kept thinking that night that I should have known better”

“Hmmm. It was unexpected, but unexpected is good. Great actually.” Luhan whispered, his breath ghosting over Minseok, causing Minseok’s heart to pound just a bit harder.

“Do you want me to steal your wallet again?” Minseok asked quietly.

Luhan laughed, tightening his embrace. “No.”

“I already did.” Minseok pushed away from Luhan in a flash, running across the courtyard with Luhan’s wallet held high.

Luhan laughed, a loud and exuberant sound that echoed as he began his chase. His favorite chase. His unexpected chase. The best chase of his life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n- Yes, this is the end. I know I said two or three chapters in my last note but when I looked at the story one chapter could sum it all up. Sorry guys if I mislead you.

I am very sad to see this fic go, I have become very much attached to this story. I will be writing one shots in the future based on these characters, so please look forward to these Love Unexpected mini-chapters. Also, I have plotted out my next long chaptered fic- the main pairings will be Xiuhan and Taohun. There are two pairings that are still up in the air. I am really excited about this new story (even as I am sad to see this one end). I hope you will check it out once I have it up and running.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reading. For those that have read this fic start to finish I wish I could give you a big ole hug. If you subscribed or voted I wanted to buy you a puppy (sadly I cannot but I wish I could- does that count?!). I will go back and edit this, so if the typos and spelling made you groan I will alleviate your frustration. I also want to apologize to the people that have commented, I really at replying but I read every comment and appreciate all of them. Thanks for the feedback, you have made this a better story. Until next time- peace!