Chapter 24

Love Unexpected

When Minseok and Luhan arrived at the Eastern Dawn hotel they were greeted with utter chaos. Minseok found Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, eyes wide, waiting for them at the service entrance. Luhan left to talk to the staff and the managers, it was his hotel after all, while Minseok discussed the attack with the pack members.

“What happened – I want every detail.” Minseok asked his scared pack mates. As he questioned them the rest of the hybrids came out of the woodwork, all looking as equally startled.

“Kyungsoo and I came down to go for a swim and...” Chanyeol was unusually having a hard time with words, Minseok could tell the event had shaken him to the core.

Kyungsoo picked up where Chanyeol had left off “We were by the pool entrance when we heard screams. Hyung, it was terrible! When we got to the lobby there was blood, so much blood...”

“Did you see the attacker?” Minseok asked. He had gathered enough on the ride over to know the hybrid had been killed by the police – just like the hybrid involved in the first attack.

“No.” Chanyeol had tears rolling down his cheeks, his face pale.

“” Minseok turned from the boys, pounding a fist into the wall. Another attack – and this time on their home ground. Someone was trying to send a message and if it happened to be his own father then there was hell to pay.

“Go home, I’ll wait for Luhan.” Minseok gave the orders out to his pack and to Luhan’s – none of them argued. Well, except for Suho, who showed his usual concern for his packleader.

“Will you be all right hyung? Do you want me to stay and wait with you?” Suho asked, his arm around Jongdae.

“No, I’ll be okay. Go, please. It isn’t going to be calm around here for long.” Minseok knew he should probably follow his own advice and leave, it would only be a matter of time before the media was swarming. Luhan, even as a silent owner, may become a target of the media, which meant that Minseok would be too – especially if he walked out of the building with his mate.

Suho nodded sadly. A few hugs and goodbyes later and Minseok was alone. Just what in the hell was going on?!

***

Luhan and Minseok had arrived back at the house near dawn. Luhan had talked to the managers of the hotel, questioning them on any detail of the attack they could give. Minseok was honestly surprised at the loyalty Luhan had instilled in his staff – not one of them spoke to the media or gave away his identity as the owner of the establishment. Once all of the questioning was done Luhan found Minseok waiting. Unfortunately the staff had little to report other than a crazy attack by someone they did not recognize. For now the hotel was closed, for an indefinite period of time.

“You should be home.” Luhan had scolded Minseok. Minseok answered with a hug. A hug that lasted for a few minutes as the two of them considered what this meant, what this attack signaled for themselves and their unborn children.

 On the drive back to the estate they remained silent, their hands clasped together as they were lost in their own thoughts; thoughts that were ultimately shared concern for each other.

“You should sleep for a few hours Min, the doctor will be here soon.” Luhan whispered to his mate as he led him to their bedroom.

“You should too” Minseok muttered, grasping Luhan’s hand. Their mutual concern became a solid plan as they both fell asleep, wrapped in each other’s arms.

***

Sung Woo was not supposed to be anywhere near the Eastern Dawn Pack’s estate- but he was. In fact he was standing in the grand entry way, staring up at the grand staircase. That is how So Ra found him.

“Sung Woo…what a pleasant surprise.” So Ra tried to display a calm façade, but her heart was racing. Sung Woo at the estate, especially given the recent attacks, was not a good sign.

“So Ra, is my son around?” Sung Woo’s expression was serious, haggard even.

“I am not sure. Would you like to have some tea and I will go check?” So Ra her charm as she motioned towards the small sitting room nearest to the entry way.

“No, I think I will go check.”

Sung Woo was bounding up the stairs before So Ra could say another word. She followed behind him quickly. This was bad very bad.

***

The physician had arrived promptly at eight o’clock a.m. with his equipment in tow. A house call was really the only way they could safely be seen by a doctor – because they needed a physician they could trust with their true nature.

The physician that the Eastern Dawn pack had been relying on since before the purge was one Yang Hyun Suk, a man who was beyond dedicated to his profession and beyond dedicated to keeping their secret. They could trust him through and through- he had been present at Luhan’s birth, he had treated Luhan’s Father’s wounds. He was their doctor, he “belonged” to the pack when he was not busy with his “human” practice.

 Doctor Yang was looking forward to this day, it was the day he would give the pack leader news about the next generation. It was time for Minseok’s ultrasound, it was time to figure out how many and what their pups were.

The ultrasound equipment was unloaded by two wolves that Doctor Yang recognized belonged to Minseok’s pack – they both looked frazzled. No doubt it was because of the latest hybrid attack – he did not doubt it was stress on all of the hybrids in Seoul, whether they belonged to a pack or lived solo.

The hybrids carried the equipment to the second floor, up to the large master suite where the leader of the Eastern Dawn pack and the leader of the Cloud Mountain pack called home. Doctor Yang grabbed his bag from the van, checking to make sure he had everything he needed, he proceeded to make his way upstairs for the examination.

***

Sung Woo was at the top of the staircase when So Ra found her breath again. Minseok was there, like a flash, in front of his father.

“We need to talk.” Sung Woo was lacking in greetings, getting right to the point.

“About what?” Minseok questioned.

“I can’t tell you here.” As Sung Woo spoke the words Luhan appeared from the hallway, standing behind Minseok he put a hand on his mate’s shoulder.

“Luhan” Sung Woo nodded at his son’s mate, “I see you didn’t abandon my child after all.”

“That is out of line.” Minseok spoke up. The events of the last night had him beyond giving a if he mouthed off to his Father – no, to Sung Woo. At the moment his focus was around making sure Sung Woo did not go upstairs and find Doctor Yang setting up ultrasound equipment.

If Sung Woo saw this he would know the truth immediately – Minseok was not going to give up his pups. After all, why would he need a checkup if he was about to hand his children over no questions asked? Why would it matter how many pups he was carrying or if they were male or female if he was ready to abandon them?

“Let’s go to the study.” Luhan tried to keep a cool head even if he felt like pushing Sung Woo down the stairs. He had little doubt the man had something to do with the hybrid attacks-  not to mention his affiliation with the shady Assemblyman Ahn – oh, and the fact he was ready to see Luhan and Minseok’s pups die at the hands of the government was just the foundation of a fire burning inside Luhan.

Sung Woo agreed to Luhan’s suggestion, the three of them retreated to the place Luhan had often felt the most comfortable. That is until Minseok had moved in, now it was their bedroom where he felt comfort, where he felt like he was truly home.

Once they were seated – Minseok and Luhan in two adjoining overstuffed chairs and Sung Woo opposite of them – Sung Woo began to talk.

“Your Mother is alive.”

Minseok felt like the floor had fallen out from beneath him. He barely registered Luhan’s hand finding his own, squeezing in reassurance.

“What do you mean Mom is alive?”

“I just found out….I….she is still in a lab.” Sung Woo choked back a sob.

“How?! How did you find out?” Minseok was yelling without realizing it.

“I…they told me when I told them about the pups, about how we are giving them up. They said they would free her…”

Luhan had the deep desire to leap out of his chair, turn into wolf form, and rip Sung Woo’s throat out.

“What do you know about the hybrid attacks?” Minseok’s voice was unnaturally steady given the information his father had just revealed. But how could it not be? The fact he tied his Mother’s life to sacrificing his pups made the news suspicious. He couldn’t trust Sung Woo.

“Nothing. I...I just wanted to tell you that we have to do this more than ever now son. Please.” Sung Woo’s eyes were teary as he pleaded with his son.

“I understand. Go, I get it.” Misneok stood up, staring down at his seated father, “I know why we are doing this, okay. For the hybrids, for Mom. For you. I get it so you can go now.”

Misneok stalked out of the room, leaving Luhan and Sung Woo alone.

“Do you need me to see you out?” Luhan asked, trying to sound friendlier than he possibly could be given the way Sung Woo had just tried to play Minseok’s emotions in the most horrible way possible.

“No…I can do it myself.”

“Bye.” Luhan commented, leaving the room to find his mate.

So Ra was not long in coming into the study. She exchanged pleasantries with Sung Woo before making sure he left the house in due time. Luhan had whispered it to her “Make sure that bastard is out of here – soon- or I will kill him myself.” She would have argued with the tone and the swear word but she understood, what Sung Woo had come to spout was terrible for Luhan and probably worse for Minseok.

***

“Do you hear that?” Doctor Yang asked, his face bright and cheery. “The heart beats of your pups”

Minseok was entranced by the small screen. Granted it was all fuzzy black and white images, numbers that he did not understand displayed at the bottom of the screen. But as the device was moved across his abdomen, sliding across the cold gel, he could see his pups. He could finally see the pups who were growing inside of him – his pups, Luhan’s pups.

“How many are there Doc?” Luhan asked. He was equally entranced by the screen. He was sitting at the edge of the bed, holding Minseok’s hand in a vice grip of joy. Once Sung Woo had left they had returned to their bedroom, eager despite the chaos surrounding them to have one hour (okay maybe two hours) of time to be a couple expecting children – to see their kids for the first time, to learn if they were having boys or girls.

“Two, and they look mighty healthy! Steady heartbeat, just what I would expect.” Doctor Yang moved the device slightly, pointing at the screen he explained, “That is a head…oh, and there is the other pup’s head. You can see their limbs start to develop here.”

Misneok felt the tears starting to stream down his cheeks freely, he made no effort to brush them away.

“What is the ?” Misneok asked cautiously.

“Let’s see” Doctor Yang made another movement, the device tickling as it glided against Minseok’s tummy, “It looks like a boy and a girl. Congratulations.”

Luhan squeezed Minseok’s hand harder even- though it was doubtful a tighter grip was possible. They were having two pups – a boy and a girl. Life was great indeed.

***

The doctor had left twenty minutes ago. After Doctor Yang left Luhan had pulled Misneok back to their bedroom, collapsing onto the bed as he held Minseok tight.

“A boy and a girl, huh?” Luhan practically laughed the words, happy.

“Hmmm.” Minseok his side, cuddling into Luhan.

“Min?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you believe your father?” Luhan hated bringing it up, but it was something they had to discuss.

“No. Do you?”

“Not really – and I kind of wanted to hurt him for saying all of that.” Luhan his side, pulling Minseok closer. Minseok buried his head in the space between Luhan’s shoulder and his neck, breathing into the pillow as Luhan wrapped his arms around Minseok’s waist in a tight embrace.

“We have to figure out who is behind these attacks.” Luhan said, not expecting a reply, just stating the facts. Nonetheless he felt Minseok nod his head into his shoulder.

“I hate saying it, but I wanted to rip your Father’s throat out earlier.”

“So did I.” Minseok answered, his words muffled against Luhan’s shirt.

“We should pull everyone together soon, talk about what happened.” Luhan was making a to-do list “We need to send Tao after Sung Woo again. And I am going to Club M soon…”

Minseok was silent, breathing in his mate’s scent.

“Have you thought of any names?” Luhan asked after a few precious minutes of silence.

With the question Minseok lifted his head up, propping himself up on his elbows he looked into Luhan’s eyes with a serious expression.

“I want to name our daughter after my Mother.”

Luhan felt embarrassed he had to ask, but honestly he had no idea what Minseok’s Mother’s name was.

“Her name is Sunhi.” Minseok said quietly, “Even if my Father says so, I don’t think she is alive…”

Luhan reached a hand out to caress his lover’s face.

“But I still want to remember her.” Minseok flashed that crooked smile.

“We should. I like that name.” Luhan answered, his face full of love.

“What about our son?” Minseok felt weird saying the words “our son” but he guessed he needed to get used to it- quickly.

“Our son…well, how about we name him Yunho. If that is okay anyway?!” Luhan’s expression turned a bit worried at his suggestion.

Minseok laughed “Yeah, I like that.”

It was a great tribute to the professor that was working towards a future for their kind. It was fitting.

“Sunhi and Yunho. I like it!” Luhan leaned forward and planted a kiss on Minseok’s lips. “We are fighting for them now.”

“And we aren’t going to lose” Minseok answered, his expression serious as he looked at the man he loved more than anything else in this world. If it was the last thing he did he would make sure they were safe, all of them.

“No, we are going to win.” Luhan kissed his mate again, “If that is the last thing we do.”

Minseok smiled at him, “Now let’s get our present day kids together- we need to talk to everyone about the attacks.”

Luhan groaned but conceded as Minseok grabbed his wrist and pulled him from the bed. It was time to figure it all out. It was time for the Cloud Mountain Pack and the Eastern Dawn Pack to plan their next move – together.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N- I hope you like the latest update! I needed some cute fluffy ultrasound goodness - even if the plot cannot really make it as fluffy as I would like :-) In other news, I will not be halting this story. Because Xiuhan is for life! *Fist bumps all my fellow Xiuhan shippers*  Oh, and big shout out to ShiningRose- without her I wouldn't be nearly as ready to delve back into fics! Seriously we were sisters in arms lately with all of the Exo news, and I thank her a million times over for hearing out my late night rambles! Now go check out her fics because they are amazing!

If you hate this or like this drop me a comment or harrase me on tumblr. Thanks for reading!