Chapter 21

Love Unexpected

Luhan was pretty sure that being thrown down a hill at full speed into a brick wall felt about as good as he did at the moment. His life had taken a brutal turn ever since Professor Jung and Changmin had pushed him towards Sohee. Sure he had agreed to it, saw a purpose in it, but it had made him more exhausted than he had ever been in his life. Because now he spent his time trying to placate a hormonally raging Minseok while being dragged around by the college age version of an annoying pre-teen girl who just found out she had an unlimited credit card and her favorite boy band member thought she was cute. Then there was the night.

Minseok, Luhan learned quickly, was really really good at getting his aggression out during . Really good. The best. Ever since Luhan had started “seeing” Sohee his relationship with Minseok had fallen into a pattern. At night Minseok jumped him – they had rough , amazing , but rough until they passed out. And then in the morning Minseok basically ignored him. He answered questions curtly, spoke to the pack members more than he spoke to Luhan, and generally pretended like Luhan had a disease that he did not want to catch. It .

But then the school day came and Luhan’s mind was full of avoiding Sohee. She was a leech. He had been “dating” Sohee for the last week and a half and it had been only marginally better than having his head slammed into a concrete curb, or so he thought. But finally all his suffering paid off- he had met her father.

It was a chance meeting. Sohee had called him begging to see him, her Father and Mother were out of town and she had the family penthouse to herself. Luhan wanted to say no, he had been about ten minutes away from buying Minseok dinner. But he knew that he was doing all of this for Minseok too – for their pups. They had to figure out a way to insure their survival. So he said yes.

When Luhan arrived at the Ahn penthouse he was surprised. Largely because he did not know human politicians made that much money. The place was practically dripping with one of a kind pieces, chic patterns, and innovative designs. But then again Sohee’s Father was not exactly a straight and narrow politician, at least according to Professor Jung.

Sohee had pulled Luhan towards the couch.

“Let’s watch a movie” She had put in a scary movie, her intentions pretty apparent as she clung to Luhan every time anything remotely frightening happened on screen.

Luhan tried to act like he cared about comforting the girl but he had a hard time with it. Then the front door opened.

Sohee sprang up, shock in her eyes.

“Papa!” She smiled sweetly and went for the penthouse entrance as Luhan stood up in confusion.

Papa? Luhan smoothed his clothes, he needed to make a good first impressions. He heard a man greet Sohee with a few quiet words. He caught something about having to come back early for work, that he was sorry to take away her alone time. He definitely heard her say something about not worrying because she was just chatting with a friend, Luhan. She definitely said his name, which made him a bit nervous.

 Then a few click of heels on the marble floor and Sohee was following an older man into the living area.

Luhan made an instant 90 degree bow.

“Father, this is Luhan. Luhan this is my Father.” Sohee’s voice took on a more reserved tone, Luhan noticed it. It was kind of surprising to hear her sound more…well…like an adult.

Sohee’s Father looked Luhan up and down and made no move to hide inspection. After surveying the younger man he held out a hand, “It is nice to meet you, Luhan.”

“Thank you. You as well.” Luhan smiled at the man. Sohee’s father had a youthful appearance despite the fact he had to be nearing fifty years old. A grey streak in his hair gave away the age that his face did not portray. His features were sharp, Luhan thought he must have been quite handsome in his day.

“Do you attend the university, Luhan?” Sohee’s father asked after taking a seat. Luhan sat in one of the side chairs after the man motioned him to do so. Sohee sat down next to her father, a smile never leaving her face.

“Yes, sir. I am pursuing a degree in dance.”

“And what do your parents do, Luhan?”

Sohee gave her father a slightly peeved look after he asked the question.

“My parents are deceased, sir. Sadly I lost them when I was young. When they were alive they ran an asset management firm, Sun Capital.” Luhan answered.

If Assemblyman Ahn tried to look into Luhan’s past he would find out that Luhan, on paper, was in fact the child of the owners of a very wealthy asset management firm. Which, through a series of very secret and well hidden connections, funneled back into the Eastern Dawn pack’s empire. But he wasn’t worried about Sohee’s Father figuring out the end user of the funds, because he was certain that his identity was well enough protected to not be found out through this connection.

“I see. Please, call me Father.” Sohee’s Father – no, Assemblyman Ahn – had taken a liking to Luhan. And Luhan was finally feeling like all of his pain and suffering was paying off.

“Father? I couldn’t sir.” Luhan knew how to be humble.

“Of course, we are not comfortable enough yet. Then we should become more comfortable – join me for golf on Saturday.”

“I would be thankful sir.” Luhan smiled. Now he was getting somewhere.

***

“Where are you going?”

“To dinner with my father.”  Minseok was not ready to explain in full detail why he had made that decision.

“Can I come along?” So Ra would not normally ask such a thing but she had instincts, protective instincts towards Minseok. It had to be hard on him, being pregnant and spending the last few days alone as Luhan was out with another person. Even if Luhan’s reasons were tactical So Ra could fully understand Minseok’s discomfort and annoyance.

“Sure.” Minseok smiled at her. He had developed affection for So Ra over the weeks, largely because he recognized how much she truly cared for both packs. She could have given the Cloud Mountain pack the cold shoulder but she, probably more than most of them, made the effort to see the two get along. She cared for Minseok like she cared for Luhan and it had impressed him a lot.

A half an hour later Minseok walked into the best restaurant in Jongro-gu, So Ra walking behind him. The place was known for traditional Korean food, served in a traditional way. Minseok was happy to visit the place he had only heard about, even if he doubted his meal would be relaxing and happy.

When the hostess led So Ra and Minseok into the room they were not expecting to be greeted by two people- but Sung Woo was not alone, next to him was a woman, a hybrid. Once the hostess closed the door behind them a curtain of suspicion veiled the room.

“Who is this?” So Ra asked cautiously, thinking she had every right to know who this unknown hybrid was, especially at a dinner where her Pack leaders’ mate was in attendance.

“So Ra, Minseok, this is Victoria, a friend. She has been in Seoul for a long time, since she was a pup. She doesn’t have a pack and well - we just became friends” Sung Woo introduced the three quickly, “Sorry I did not let you know she was coming.”

“It is my fault!” Victoria smiled. Minseok noted how young she looked, probably not much older than himself, “It is very nice to meet you.”

“Yes.” So Ra smiled.

The four of them sat down. Their food had yet to arrive so they were without edible distractions from their awkwardness.

Minseok’s mind was focused on Victoria, he made sure he averted his eyes so it was not obvious. Tao had reported running into an unknown hybrid a week ago. Was this woman the culprit? And why was his father running around with her?

“How are you doing son? Have you been feeling well?” Sung Woo asked.

“Good – I mean fine, I have been fine.”

“I am surprised Luhan is not here.” Victoria commented.

If Minseok was in wolf form his hackles would be up at the comment – what did she know about his mate?

“Oh, sorry” Victoria giggled, noticing Minseok’s conclusion, “Luhan and I go way back.”

Minseok must have looked like a super because Victoria quickly corrected herself, “Not like that! I mean as friends.”

“Oh.” Minseok was not impressed.

“Son, I have been meaning to ask you something.” Sung Woo tried to change the subject, “Would you like to take a trip back to the old pack grounds sometime?”

Minseok stared his Father in the eyes. He looked honest, he looked sincere but Minseok knew not to trust him. The old pack grounds – Mount Halla on Jeju Island. In all of the time he had been away from the place, more than half his life, he had never thought he would go back.

“Why?”

“Because that is your home, the packs home. I thought maybe we could see it together once.”

So Ra nudged Minseok as if to tell him to agree. He answered without much enthusiasm, “Sure. Yeah why not.”

“Great!” sung Woo looked like he had just won the lottery. “We should do it in the next few months. Maybe Luhan could come.”

“Yes, that would be great!” So Ra was putting on a pretty excited front, Minseok thought. She nudged him again so he gave a “Great idea!” before going back to giving Victoria the side eye.

After some mindless, light and very awkward conversation the food arrived. Minseok dug in, his appetite driving him to eat almost anything he could get his hands on. Being pregnant was difficult.

After the meal he excused himself to visit the restroom. He needed to splash some water in his face if he was going to stay awake. After exiting the bathroom he was surprised to see Victoria leaning up against the wall of the long hallway leading up the restrooms, waiting for him.

“Hey, you met Changmin, right?” She asked quietly.

“Yeah…?”

“Don’t hate me, Minseok. I am with you guys.” Victoria whispered it, leaning in close so the words would be only between the two of them no matter how many wolves strained to hear.

Minseok nodded. He hated her a less with her words, but he was still not exactly sure how much he could trust her.

“How do you know Luhan?’ He asked, his turn to lean in and whisper.

“What hybrid in this town doesn’t know their prince?” she answered, “We have to go back. You first, be there in a sec.”

She ducked into the women’s restroom leaving a confused Minseok to stare after her. What hybrid didn’t know Luhan? He was very much unsure of the answer to that question but he needed to find out.

***

Sehun’s left leg hated him. Every time he attempted to perform the choreography – pulling his left leg in as he popped his upper body forward – he failed.

“Damnit” He was frustrated. Sehun threw the water bottle he was holding.

“Is our little high schooler having a hard time?” Taemin asked playfully, ruffling Sehun’s hair.

Sehun had been in the practice room of the university dance department for the last two hours, practicing alongside Jongin and Taemin. And as much as they exceled at the choreography he failed at it.

“Shut up” Sehun jerked away from Taemin and stalked off to the other side of the room.

“He, you alright?” Jongin asked as he wiped a towel across his forehead.

“Sure, great. I just can’t DA-“

The door to the practice room opened, stopping Sehun midsentence. Tao strode into the room.

“Hi…I came to watch” Tao grinned at Sehun like an idiot as he sat down on the bench that ran across the far end of the room.  Sehun pretended to be angry but when he turned his head he smiled. Because Tao was there to watch. Watch him. Now he had to just do a decent job.

“Can we do a different song? Lucifer maybe?” Sehun requested, not bothering to actually say hello to Tao. He had an image to maintain after all.

“So you can f that up too?” Taemin muttered under his breath, still going over to change the song despite his passive criticism.

But it all worked out for the better. After a near perfect execution of the choreography for Lucifer the boys were left panting and high fiving. Sehun was particularly proud he hadn’t screwed anything up.

“That is cool!” Tao walked up to the boys, standing in front of Sehun he grinned ear to ear.

“Really?” Sehun tried to look disinterested.

“Yeah, Hun-ah you looked cool”

“Are you guys gay for each other?” Taemin asked, looking from one to the other. Jongin nudged him hard in the ribs.

“What if we are?” Tao challenged, looking at Taemin with all of the badass he could muster.

“Well, uh, I guess that is…”

“Is…”Tao asked.

“Weird since Sehun has had a thing or Luhan for years.” Taemin responded, all innocence.

Jongin seriously wanted to kick the kid but he also knew Taemin was not harboring bad intentions. He had known Taemin for a while and the kid just said what was on his mind. He didn’t usually realize how wrong it was until the damage was done.

Sehun on the other hand had a deep need to smack the out of Taemin at the moment.

“Well he found someone better.” Tao answered, smiling at Sehun.

Sehun smiled back, hoping against all reason Tao was not going to dwell on this comment. Unfortunately time told him he was wrong, so very wrong.

***

Minseok had managed to give his father a hug after dinner. He even hugged Victoria, even if he didn’t exactly trust her yet. He had hailed a cab with So Ra and returned to the Eastern Dawn Mansion. And then the minutes ticked by without anything to do. Without Luhan. Finally he shot a text to Kyungsoo, who informed him Luhan was hanging out at the Angel Café. So Minseok threw on a jacket and went to meet his mate.

The café wasn’t busy at this time of night, not a lot of people wandered in for coffee as the stars made their way higher in the sky. When Minseok walked in the front door he found Jongdae wiping down the machines, Baekhyun sweeping, and Kyungsoo arranging the bakery items in the front case. They stopped to greet him when he arrived.

Luhan, it seemed, was in the office, so Minseok dropped his greetings and walked to the backroom.

When he walked in Luhan had his face down on the desk, asleep. Minseok stopped for a moment to take in the sight. No matter how much Luhan could annoy him he would never cease to find the man attractive, never fail to feel a tug in his chest when he saw his mate’s face in peaceful slumber.

When the door clicked shut Luhan sprung up, confused. After a second he realized Minseok was in the room.

“Min?!”

“Hey. Why are you sleeping on a desk?” Minseok wanted to ask why Luhan was not at home with him, in their bed, but he settled for a less aggressive question.

“Sorry” Luhan ruffled his hair and rubbed his eyes, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Minseok’s answer was short, not exactly dripping of friendliness.

“Have you thrown up lately? Are you sleeping okay?”

“It is funny you have to ask me this.” Minseok took a seat in one of the wooden chairs that sat at the other end of the desk. Nothing fancy, but comfortable.

“Min, I am sorry. Serio -“

“I believe you.” Minseok stared at Luhan, drinking in all of his tired anxiety “I am going to go to Mount Halla with my father.”

Luhan tensed at the words. Minseok knew how dangerous his Father was…or at least potentially was...”I am going with you”

“No, you are not.” Minseok crossed his arms, “And do you mind telling me why I was informed every hybrid in this city knows you? Or was that something you were going to tell me later?”

“What?!”

“Victoria? How about Professor Jung and Changmin? Who else do you know Lu? What else do you have planned and why can’t you tell me about it?”

Luhan was not sure how to answer. He had no idea how Minseok had run into Victoria but he could explain. He didn’t have a chance though because Minseok continued.

“My dad. You know my dad better than I do. And who else? What else?” Minseok had tears in his eyes, Luhan could sense his feelings of betrayal.

“Min..god, I am so sorry.” Luhan walked from behind the desk and approached his mate, who subsequently backed away from his touch. “I met Victoria a while ago, she is Changmin’s girlfriend. I am sorry, I didn’t mean to hide it from you. I didn’t know it was important.”

Minseok stared at his lover, his mate, the father of his pups. He looked truly pathetic, dark circles under his eyes, his face flushed with emotion. It was hard to see him like this even if he was pissed. Minseok wasn’t sure if it was hormonal, emotional, or common sense but he felt like forgiving for the moment.

“Luhan.” Minseok whispered, stepping forward. Luhan was there in a moment, hugging Minseok close.

Minseok buried his head in Luhan’s chest, feeling the closeness that he so needed. The closeness he may curse the next day but he needed so much at the moment.

And then the door was thrown open. Minseok and Luhan jumped apart, alarmed at the sudden intrusion.

It was a wild eyed Yixing, his face white.

“What in the hell is wrong?!” Luhan asked, his hand on Minseok’s waist, pulling him closer after the surprise.

Yixing didn’t answer, instead he walked over to the small television in the office and turned it on. Luhan and Minseok stared at the television as it blinked on, a news alert appearing on the screen.

On scene at what the police are calling the full moon massacre, we have reports from several witnesses that a wolf hybrid attacked multiple citizens on the Seoul Metropolitan Subway a little after 9:00 PM. We have received reports that among the dead are children and elderly individuals. The death toll at this time is being reported at ten individuals but is expected to climb as the police and medical professionals’ survey the scene. This is the first reported hybrid attack that has occurred in Seoul. Witnesses’ report that the hybrid involved in the attack had ridden the same subway route multiple times – that he had never struck them as anything but human.  Is this proof that the hybrids are still a problem- maybe even living amongst us, waiting to attack?

If fear could be described would it be likened to the intense need to just run away without looking back? What if you had children to protect? Minseok was holding his abdomen, staring in terror as the news played across the television. The world had suddenly become a much, much uglier place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n-stuff just got real (and hello Vic!). And that is all I have to say other than thank you for reading XD