Chapter 25.5

Love Unexpected

It had been eating at him – gnawing away at the thing that had made him the happiest person he had been in a long time. His relationship with Sehun was completely unforeseen, completely unexpected, but it was just what he had needed in his life.

“Weird since Sehun has had a thing for Luhan for years.”

Time and time again he thought about it – tried to reason it out. Tried to make it seem insignificant given their current relationship. But it didn’t matter, really it did not. Because he could not un-hear the words, nor could he discount them. He was Sehun’s second best, like it or not

***

As the afternoon dragged into the evening Sehun found himself bored. The Eastern Dawn’s “important recon mission” was being led by Yixing and Jongdae, Sehun was all but excluded from the majority of the investigation. In fact he had been told to go back to the estate lest he screw something up. Besides, the pack had made little ground, the police were in the midst of their own investigation, seriously hindering any outside investigation of the facts of the case.

Sehun would have normally argued against such an order– if it was something that he wanted to do any way. What he wanted to do at the time, in all honesty, was find Tao. He was not an idiot, he had noticed how his boyfriend, who was usually the first to cuddle, the first to pull him close, had become unusually silent when they were alone – ever since Taemin had blurted out the truth of Sehun’s long standing crush on Luhan. While Tao was his usual self in front of others Sehun could still sense it. Sehun’s long standing crush on Luhan had become a factor in his relationship with Tao.

Sehun wasn’t sure how to fix things with Tao because he wasn’t exactly sure of his own feelings. He had never really had to consider it all, never really sat down to think about how much Tao meant to him compared to Luhan. Largely because in his opinion all of that would be an exercise in pain and disappointment.

With Tao on his mind Sehun returned home, hoping to find his boyfriend waiting. He had shot Tao a couple of texts, but there was no response. When he arrived home and found the house practically empty (other than So Ra) Sehun considered his next move. He could mope up to his room (the room he shared with Tao) and wait – or he could go in search of his boyfriend. He chose the latter, bundling up against the slight chill of the burgeoning spring weather he went out, hoping he could find a wild eyed panda wondering the city.

***

The playground was deserted, just as it should be at that time of night. As the clock approached nine o’clock the kids should all be in bed. Hell, Tao should probably be doing something other than swinging absent mindedly, hanging out at a deserted playground. Their playground.

He thought back to when Sehun had kissed him for the first time, at this exact place.

“You are second best”

Tao didn’t hate Luhan. How could he? Luhan had made Minseok happier than Tao had ever seen him. In fact he liked Luhan, a lot. Even if his pain was derived from Luhan, well, more specifically how Sehun felt about Luhan.

Tao thought long and hard. Was it loyalty? Was it blind devotion? Or was Luhan something Tao could never, ever hope to live up to? Was Tao a person that could never measure up, was he a poor substitute? Tao hung his head, disturbed by the thought.

***

Sehun loved the way Tao looked when he was deep in thought. There was nothing ier than seeing his boyfriend serious, his mind turning and his facial expression registering a dangerous seriousness. It was damn y, because Tao was damned y.

Seuhun watched Tao from the darkness. The light on the lamppost casting on the playground at the right angle to make out his boyfriend but not hitting where Sehun lurked at the outskirts. It was all to Sehun’s advantage to be honest.

Did he ever look at Luhan like this? Did he ever look at Luhan from the shadows and think about how much better it would be standing in the light next to him? Did he ever consider why he thought Luhan was his one and only?

***

Sehun had been just what Tao needed. Tao’s life wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t necessarily terrible. He had his pack who loved him more than a biological family ever could. He had his rambles around town, he had his tasks to complete for the pack (legal or illegal). He had his emotions, which could be a whirlwind, but were never anything but honest. He was honest. So why was Sehun hiding his crush? Why…

***

Luhan was like a prince. Sehun had always thought so. He was the chosen one, the leader of a glorious pack. One of, if not the only, glorious and prestigious wolf pack in Korea. He was someone to look up to, someone to respect. And he was nice, he was caring, he was affectionate.

Was it teenage hormones that drew him to Luhan? Was it the fact that out of everyone he knew, hybrid or human, Luhan seemed like the only one he could spend the rest of his life with? Was it because Luhan, distant and unmovable in his resolve to stay friends- and that’s it- was a challenge that Sehun yearned for?

Tao was a challenge too. He was a stranger, a tough stranger, with a lifestyle that was completely opposite of Sehun. Tao felt strongly, loved strongly. He was genuine, and damn if he wasn’t y…

***

Tao knew he loved Sehun. He could say in all certainty that there were only five people he ever truly loved in his life – four of those people were in his pack, the other was Sehun.

Sehun, with all of his vulnerability, with all of his mixed emotions, with his poker face. Sehun didn’t want to admit what he felt, but Tao didn’t need him to admit it. He sensed it. He knew it when Sehun gave him a shy glance, when Sehun readily came into his arms, slept in his arms. He knew it when Sehun laughed at him, throwing his head back flirtatiously.

Was Sehun ever like that with Luhan? Tao thought back. No, he wasn’t. Not when Tao was around at least. But maybe that was the point.

***

Sehun took one step, then another. He stopped just clear of the reach of the light cast from the lamppost. He stared at Tao, seeing his boyfriend look utterly depressed.

It was because of him, wasn’t it?

What if it was Luhan…?

Sehun would have walked forward and told his hyung to cheer up. That is what would have happened if it was Luhan. He would have felt bad. But this – he felt like his heart was being ripped out looking at Tao, staring at the ground. He wanted to cry, he wanted to make it better as soon as possible. He knew, Luhan was second best. Luhan wasn’t the one he loved. Luhan was a teenager’s pipe dream. Tao – well, he was the person he loved. And damn if he wasn’t y.

***

Tao was so deep in thought he did not hear the sound of the swing next to him find an owner. The creak of the metal chain on the metal bar was lost on him.

“Do you come here often?”

Tao’s head shot up, turning to his side in surprise.

“Hey.” Sehun smiled, then looked away, “I thought you might be bored.”

“Hun-ah” Tao said in surprise.

“Hmmm. The one and only.” Sehun made a move to swing higher, pumping his legs.

Tao remained silent, but followed his boyfriend’s motions. They both kicked off and swung like a couple of small boys, finding joy in the playground.

After a few minutes of silent play Sehun spoke.

“I love you more than anyone else.” He spoke as he continued to swing, his words a variation in noise as he passed Tao, busy on his own swing “I hope you know that.”

Tao didn’t answer, he didn’t want to. He kept swinging, until Sehun stopped. Then he stopped too, letting his feet act as a brake against the sand under the swings.

As he puttered to a stop he spoke “Hun-ah…you don’t need to say anything you don’t mean.”

Sehun sprung up from the swing at that moment, stalking over to Tao he stood in front of him, grabbing the chains of the swing as he looked down at his boyfriend.

“I love you.” Sehun looked down at his boyfriend’s face, “I…I made a mess of it, didn’t I, Tao?”

Tao removed his hands from the chains that held up the swing, moving them to Sehun’s waist. He pulled his boyfriend into a hug that found Tao’s face against Sehun’s stomach.

“Damnit, tell me if you forgive me.” Sehun muttered, the anxiety eating him up inside.

“Sehun…why do you love me?” Tao asked quietly, not letting go of Sehun’s waist.

“Because you are Tao. Because you are y as hell. You cuddle the best, you hit me when I am stupid. You want me….for me.” Sehun felt like puking after he said it, but it was all true. How did he end up so sappy? “Why do you love me?” Sehun chanced, wanting to hear the response.

“You are Sehun. You are cute, and moody, and I want to take your clothes off when we cuddle. Because you know when to tell me off, because you would sleep outside a room I was crying in. Because I make you happy and you make me happy.”

Tao stood up, pulling Sehun closer.

“And you are damn y.”

Tao loved the way Sehun kissed, and this time – well, was this what making up meant? Because damn – Sehun planted wet, , amazingly seductive kisses down Tao’s neck, to his collarbone.

“F**k Sehun” Tao muttered, falling back into the swing. Sehun continued his assault, only stopping when Tao informed him if they continued they would be , like it or not. Sehun blushed, and the two of them started the walk back to the house, hand in hand – knowing they had solved their problem their own way, with a hell of a lot of making out.

Sehun would think back to this time as the moment they truly became a couple, because it was at this moment they both recognized their relationship for what it is. For what it meant. For what it spanned. Forever, if they had their wish.

a/n: Here be some Taohun miki123! I hope this short chapter did these two justice (at least in the context of this story)! Back with Xiuhan and the rest of the story next! Thanks for reading, subscribing, and especially for voting!