Chapter 10

Love Unexpected

“You are not going!”

“Do you really want me to tear your ing throat out?!”

Kyungsoo smiled. Despite the glaring fact the leader of the Cloud Mountain pack was now a confirmed Omega- mated to another pack leader to boot- he was as fiery as ever. He was his usual self when he was faced with a dominance act from Luhan.

Luhan and Minseok had arrived aback at the house with Chanyeol, who had gone to fetch them in person given the nature of what was going on. Suho had called Chanyeol and he had practically ran to the hotel to notify the leaders. Currently the entire pack was seated in the mansion’s library, mulling over their options.

“Go ahead! You are not going!” Luhan glared at his lover in anger. How could someone so attractive be so ing stupid!

“Couldn’t Minseok Ge lure them out?” Yixing suggested, a thoughtful expression playing across his face.

“No!” Luhan shouted. Yixing frowned with his Ge’s strong response.

“Lu” So Ra, always the voice of reason, tugged at her pack leader’s arm to get him to stand down from his stare off with Minseok.

“We could be backup and-“

“I am going and that is final” Minseok, frustration and rage painting his expression, stalked out of the room. His pack followed, leaving the Eastern Dawn pack to watch them go.

“Follow him” So Ra urged, her hand still gripping Luhan’s bicep “But let him go. Trust me”

Luhan jerked his arm away. So Ra’s hurt face registered with him, but his mate being thrown into a den of hybrids stung more.

“Follow them” Luhan ordered, with no choice at the moment but to go along with his mate’s plan.

And so the Eastern Dawn pack stood, ready to back up their fellow pack.

***

Sehun was crying. Not like he wanted to admit it or anything. He turned his head towards the concrete floor, cursing his life.

“Hun-ah” It was a hoarse whisper. “Don’t cry”

Tao hurt all over. The hybrids had jumped the two of them when they were walking from the bubble tea shop where they had spent the evening. It was so quick. He had tried to fight back, tried to protect the Omega, but he was bested by the lot of them. They came on so strong and fast Tao fell under their aggression. His heart had felt like it was torn in two when he saw Sehun being dragged away, bleeding.

“We are going to die” Sehun whispered, he believed it.

“Hyungs will rescue us” Tao wanted to comfort him, even if his only means to do so at the moment were words.

“No” Sehun was sure of it. After witnessing the strength that was this pack – 11 strong – he feared for his own pack and the Cloud Mountain pack. This group of wolves was freakishly strong. They fought ruthlessly. They scared the out of him – and kicked the out of him since he had been captured.

“They will Hun-ah. I promise” Tao whispered. He regretted how little he could protect his friend.

Sehun’s answer was a muffled sob. It ripped Tao’s heart out.

***

Luhan could not believe what he was seeing. He blinked once, twice, but he was sure of what had darted around the corner. It was that old lone wolf. The man who had so helpfully insured the Eastern Dawn Pack’s survival in the city. What was he doing here?

The Eastern Dawn Pack had followed the Cloud Mountain Pack to the place that had been designated through text message. They prowled behind the others. Luhan had wanted nothing more than to rush forward and push Minseok behind him, to protect his mate at all costs. Jongin had been on fire too – so much so Yixing had grabbed his hand and not let go to dissuade the younger wolf from rushing towards Kyungsoo and an imagined fate.

The designated meeting place was a rundown warehouse. All dust, chain link fences, and nondescript unused inventory scattered around the forlorn place. When they had reached the building, Luhan had barely held back – Minseok, without a look behind him, had entered the fence surrounding the building alone. The message had clearly stated Minseok had to come alone, which is why he had journeyed forth without the rest of his pack.

The air was still, heavy and humid. Minseok’s eyes adjusted to the darkness as he stared at the broken windows of the warehouse. He couldn’t make anything out. He picked up the scent of Tao and Sehun, but no one else. It did not really surprise him – Suho had said the wolves were almost unnoticeable until they were on top of you.

“You wanted me, I’m here” Minseok called out, looking around for any sign of life – human or wolf.

“You’re not alone though” A voice answered.

Sehun’s scent was much closer now, Minseok was sure of it. Whoever had spoken must have the young wolf with him.

“Then who is with me? Huh? I don’t see anyone?” Minseok shouted, whirling about with his hands spread wide, challenging them to see the hidden packs.

“You really think we are idiots.”

And then Minseok saw him. He was skinny, sauntered. His face was as pretty as any female’s. And he was holding…a cat?! But Sehun and Tao were nowhere to be seen.

“Pleased to meet you, Minseok.” The man smiled, a devastatingly sweet smile.

Minseok froze, not sure what the next, best course of action should be. And then another form stepped out of the shadows. He was handsome, chiseled. He wore an expensive suit, and when he smiled his dimples flashed. His black hair was slicked back- he looked like something out of a plastic mold.

Before Minseok could adjust to the newcomer another appeared. His hair was lavender, his face angular and small.

“Who are you?” Minseok yelled.

“What a great question, young wolf.” And yet another stepped from the darkness. With angled bangs and a killer smile he stared at Minseok with hunger in his eyes.

“So, do you think we could tear him apart before his pack steps out of the shadows?” A tall, brunette man stepped from the shadows, resting his shoulder on the man with the angled bangs.

“Well, not sure. I mean, if we didn’t wouldn’t we be sorry- very sorry.” The man holding the cat asked.

“Well…maybe. Maybe not. I would think we could just thank god we had the opportunity as presented by these young-ins” The handsome man grinned, ing his cuffs.

Minseok took a deep breath. The hybrids knew exactly where his pack members were, that was obvious. They still had Sehun and Tao, which meant his actions were of the utmost importance.

“They will stand down – just give them back” Minseok spoke carefully, trying to project a confidence he did not currently possess.

“Fine, come here first.” The man with the cat beckoned, smiling.

Minseok tensed, “Let me see them first.”

“Maybe they are not as stupid as we thought.” The lavender haired man nodded.

Sehun and Tao were dragged into the light, held tight by a hulking man.

“Now come here little wolf” The man with the cat spoke, gesturing Minseok forward.

He stepped forward, once, then twice.

***

Luhan had enough. This was not going to happen. Come hell or high water he would not see his mate killed in front of his eyes. He ran forward, yelling for the others to do the same.

They rushed into the warehouse yard in a fury, some of them shifting in the process. Blood would be spilt, but god damnit Minseok would not die.

The rage that drove him into the courtyard had him seeing red- blurry vision that made him only want to protect his mate and pack. everything else.

“STOP!’ It was louder than the snarls, the growls, and the impact of one wolf on another. And damn did it do the trick.

The wolves, all of them, halted. Some slinking back, some finding their mates and taking on a protective stance. All of them disengaging from the fight.

Luhan reached Minseok and, against the other’s wishes, had practically encased him in his embrace. When Luhan heard the words he recognized the voice, all too well. Apparently others did too, because they froze as well.

Luhan saw him then – the lone wolf. He was standing at the entrance to the yard, he had shifted into wolf form. He was a hulking creature, as Luhan had always guessed he would be. A dark, midnight black canine, he was imposing to the other, smaller wolves.

It was their nature to give into the more dominant of their breed. Usually they would fight if that dominant had not proven himself, but it was some strange instinct that made them freeze to hear what this imposing wolf had to say. Something about his stature, his words…

Minseok strained around Luhan to catch a glimpse of the newcomer, the one that demanded so much attention. He saw nothing, only felt Luhan’s grasp tighten on him. It made sense when he could smell the newcomer approaching them. But that smell, Minseok recognized that scent from somewhere..

“Why are you here?” Luhan asked, grasping Minseok.

“I can’t let you kids have all the glory, right?”

Luhan felt dread overcome him. It was something about how the old lone wolf looked at the moment.

“That pretty little thing has a bounty on his head like you would not believe” The old wolf spoke, gesturing towards Minseok he neared where Luhan was holding his mate .It was threatening. It was ugly. It was a death sentence.

Minseok had enough of being protected, enough of the situation. He managed to summon enough strength to break free of Luhan. In a moment he was on the black wolf- shifting into his wolf form. He bit hard, tearing a piece of flesh from the old wolf.

All hell broke loose. The fighting began anew.

Sehun and Tao, who were being held by the hulking blonde man, were doomed. That is until Tao used his legs to land a kick to the wolf – knocking him down.

“Hun-ah, RUN!”

Sehun did just that, stumbling until he was behind the line where his pack was busy holding through violence. Tao hit the pavement seconds after him, and the two began working on freeing their ties.

Luhan had lunged forward, shifting, as Minseok hit the older wolf. He had to protect his mate at all cost. Luhan bit onto the old wolf, grasping onto his scruff with a viciousness he had never before displayed.

Kyungsoo had been thrown to the ground by the lavender haired wolf. He was seconds from having his throat ripped out when Jongin launched into the wolf, hard.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun had found themselves backed into a corner, which they decided to get out of through a mixture of running and pushing. When they found themselves on the other side of the wolf (who had so unusually been holding a cat in human form) Chanyeol did the unthinkable. He grabbed the feline that had presumably joined in on the fight.

“Get the away or the cat dies”

“You bastard!” The cat loving wolf launched himself at Chanyeol and his threat, knocking the cat away. “Run Heebum!”

Claws and more claws. Luhan tried to bite down harder, to claw the old wolf away, but he had more power. He managed to push Luhan away and launch himself onto Minseok. It happened so quickly, but it was vicious. A bite to the chest that started gushing blood.

Luhan was there, on top of the old wolf, tearing him apart. When Minseok began bleeding, began gushing blood, there was nothing left to do. He ripped and tore at the old wolf, a super strength possessing him as he avenged his mate. He ignored everything else going on around him, ignored the noise of fighting.

“Luu..”

But he heard it- finally. The old wolf slumped to the ground and he heard it. Minseok, gargling.

“Luuu”

Luhan was at his side in a second, shifting back into human form he picked him up from the pavement. Minseok was covered in blood, pale and writhing in pain.

“We have to go” Luhan yelled as he dashed out of the courtyard. The Eastern Dawn and Cloud Mountain packs quickly followed – easily escaping the other hybrids, who were busy tending to the fallen older wolf. A loyalty towards the fallen elder displayed that spoke volumes of these strange hybrids relationship to the supposedly lone wolf.

***

Luhan thought he would throw up. He felt sick. His own injuries did not matter. What mattered was Minseok, bleeding, passing out from the pain.

“He is going to be okay, Luhan.” So Ra tried to assure the leader of the Eastern Dawn pack, but she knew it was to no avail.

The pack had come back – bloody and bruised- but alive. Sehun and Tao had been injured severely and were both being cared for by a doctor they could trust. But they would both live. The rest of the pack had tended their own wounds, discussing the fight with great detail as they cycled through bandages and gauze.

Minseok had a chunk torn from him, exposed flesh and blood presenting an ugly sight. The doctor had patched him up, stopping the bleeding he informed Luhan and So Ra that Minseok would live, he would mend– but it may take a few weeks. The physician’s words meant little to Luhan. His mate was injured and he was torn apart inside. He had failed to protect him, failed to keep him safe.

So Ra had tried to comfort the pack leader, but she knew her words were just that. Words. She had been alive long enough, seen enough fights, to know that an alpha with an injured mate would not easily concede that they were of no fault when their omega was injured.

Finally So Ra had given up with the comforting words, she left Luhan to keep watch at Minseok’s bedside. Deciding to return to the spacious living room, where the rest of the pack was busy healing, she made a side trip to the kitchen to grab the boys some snacks. On her way there she was stopped by the doctor.

He pulled her aside. With a low voice he reported, “I don’t think the rest of them can handle it at the moment...”

So Ra nodded, waiting for the news.

“Minseok is pregnant.”

So Ra was not necessarily surprised.

“Are the pups okay?”

“Yeah. They are. I plan to speak to Luhan tomorrow.”

“Good” So Ra nodded. She would be lying if she did admit that she felt excitement at the news, “Thank you.”

“The pups though, they…are different.”

“How so?” So Ra asked quietly, not sure that the answer to her question would be welcome.

“They have a heartbeat that is slower than most hybrids, and it is present at a far earlier stage than most hybrids”

So Ra swallowed. “And…?” She knew his words were loaded. He had been their packs doctor since they ended up in Seoul and before that he was the de facto traveling doctor for their pack. He had seen many a wolf pregnancy and many a pup. He was a trusted, well versed man when it came to hybrids.

“More like a human, to tell you the truth. But they seem healthy, at least at this stage.”

“Right. Thanks” So Ra smiled sweetly.

Things were getting interesting, So Ra thought. Pups that were more like a human? She grabbed snacks for the pack, trying to reason out if such news was good or bad.

a/n- did you pick up on the guest stars? Sorry, I had to throw in some suju, i love them so. And super pups?!  I feel like that is one half of a bad Disney movie. Ha . Hope you enjoyed the chapter. And the super pups will not be a bad Disney movie, trust me. Oh, and they are not going to be aging at a far more than normal speed pups either, sorry to disappoint you. Their secret is more with their parents. And sorry for the mpreg if that makes you uncomfortable.

As usual, thanks for reading (hugs) and let me know in the comments if this story is half way decent or if there are things I need to work on (seriously, I appreciate honest feedback). Cheers!