Chapter 16

Love Unexpected

“I am pretty sure that when you tell someone you are giving them space you aren’t supposed to secretly follow them around like some psycho.” Jongdae shook his head. That was all he could do. His pack leader had turned into little more than an obsessed stalker and quite frankly it was pathetic.

Luhan made a low sound, almost like a pup’s whine. Minseok had returned to him the night before – he had been so ecstatic to see his mate when he woke up in the morning that he had practically jumped him. Held him, promised to never let him go.

Minseok had pried Luhan off of him and so had begun a very serious talk. About boundaries. About love, about how Minseok, despite being pregnant, needed to live his life. Luhan had realized he had made a mistake being so overprotective, but it was in his nature to try to control the situation. He had apologized and the two of them had awesome make up , collapsing into a short nap as they recovered from their lovemaking.

And then they two of them had to put their resolve into practice. And the results were less than what they had hoped. Luhan had failed miserably at giving Minseok space. First Minseok decided to take a walk, so Luhan followed him from afar while attempting to conceal his presence. It failed. Then Minseok just left, telling Luhan not to follow. So of course Luhan was all ready to put on a trench coat and go stalking after his mate. He reasoned Minseok was given space if he didn’t know he was being followed, right? Wrong, at least according to Jongdae.

“It’s hard” Luhan whined, putting his head in his hands he sighed.

“I am sure it is, but it isn’t as hard as having Minseok leave completely because you piss him off, right Ge?”

Luhan knew that Jongdae was right, that he was being an immature freak, being very unfair to Minseok. But he couldn’t help it. What if Minseok’s Father had lied? What if Minseok was attacked when he was alone? It was Luhan’s duty to protect his mate and his pups.

“How about we go out and do something, take your mind off becoming a stalker?”

“Like what?” Luhan asked, still pouting.

“There is a shop-“

“I am not going shopping for Japanese figurines, Jongdae” Luhan knew where this was going and he didn’t like it.

“Fine. How about we go get a drink or something?”

“Fine. But only a couple.”

Jongdae smiled and nodded, “Sure Ge. I’ll go get Baekhyun and Yixing.”

It was a date.

***

Tao had fallen asleep on the bathroom floor, his cheeks tear stained and his heart heavy. Sehun had fallen asleep leaning against the wall next to the bathroom door, resolute to wait out his roommate’s self-imposed isolation.

That is how So Ra found them. She had decided to check up on the younger members of the pack after lunch time had come and gone with no sign of them.

It was quite the site, these two. It made her smile, even if she shouldn’t have. It was their worst kept secret that they liked each other and So Ra had long ago sensed that they were having a hell of a time communicating the fact their feelings were mutual. Oh, to be young and in love again.

“Sehun-ah, Tao-ah, wake up”

Both boys remained sleeping, so So Ra took the next step.

She walked over the nightstand near Sehun’s bed and turned the alarm clock to the current time and let the machine’s shrill noise wake up the sleeping pups.

Sehun bolted up, followed by Tao, confusion painting their faces.

“Sehun-ah, Tao-ah, are you guys hungry?” So Ra asked.

Tao nodded eagerly before he remembered that he was supposed to be avoiding Sehun, who subsequently seemed to do the same. The boys gave each other dark looks, made humorous by their current state of mussed hair and wrinkled clothing. Not to mention one just woke up from the bathroom floor and the other was trying to stretch out the kinks from sleeping against a wall.

“Great, come on then.” So Ra stood her ground. She suspected these two would go back to fighting if left alone and the pack had enough drama of late to warrant an attempt to curb any more of it.

The pups shot each other looks of annoyance, but stood and followed So Ra out of the room.

***

An hour later the two of them had been stuffed to the gills by So Ra, received a veiled lecture about the importance of friendship, and finally left alone in the dining room.

“Hun-ah…”

“Tao-“

They spoke at the same time, breaking their silence in tandem. They both laughed at their timing, breaking the tense atmosphere with a giggle. Then silence, because giggling was not yet warranted.

“I am sorry Hun-ah.” Tao spoke carefully after their moment of frivolity had passed.

“Me too”

“You know....”

“You don’t have to talk about the kiss if you don’t want to.” Sehun said quietly, figuring it was best to get that topic over and done with. Or not done with. Maybe just ignored, but consensually ignored.

“It meant something, I liked it, and I like you Hun-ah” It was bold. Tao’s face was deadly serious, causing Sehun to blush.

Sehun felt very shy all of a sudden. He looked down at his hands, which he was wringing out of nervousness.

“I…I liked it too.” He mumbled.

“Will you be my boyfriend? I mean, if you want to?”

The way Tao was smiling at him, the way Tao looked confident when Sehun knew damn well he liked to cry like a teenage girl did something to him. And made his answer easy.

“I guess I could.”

Tao’s smile grew wider. He leapt from his chair, almost knocking Sehun down as he pulled him to his feet and into a bear hug.

“You oaf” Sehun muttered into Tao’s shoulder.

“Princess” Tao whispered back.

“I am not a princess!” Sehun tried to struggle out of Ta- no, his boyfriend’s embrace so he could hit him for the comment, but the arms surrounding him were too strong. Instead his struggle only resulted in him rubbing himself all over Tao, which had an immediate result.

“Can I kiss you?” Tao asked, his voice suddenly low and husky, his mind swimming after Sehun had decided to practically him in his attempt to escape.

Sehun didn’t answer, he decided it was time he took charge. He captured Tao’s lips, attacking him with his own. Tao moaned into the kiss, letting his tongue find Sehun’s mouth, feeling satisfaction as Sehun moaned back.

Tao’s tightened his embrace, pulling Sehun into the kiss. Sehun found his arms wrapping around Tao’s neck, pulling him in, devouring him as they finally reached mutual ground.

“Jesus Christ you two- get a room!”

Sehun and Tao ignored the loud comment, shouted at them from the hallway. They knew it was Chanyeol, his voice unmistakable.

“Kids.” Chanyeol muttered after the pair continued making out in the middle of the dining room for anyone that walked by to see. “No shame.” He continued on his way, annoyed but a little bit happy the maknae’s had worked out their problems.

***

Minseok had looked at the slip of paper about a dozen times. He had the address memorized by now but he kept looking. Out of sheer anxiety, probably.

It was strange to think that his Father lived relatively close to where the Cloud Mountain pack had roamed for the last few years. Relatively close in Seoul was not very close – they weren’t neighbors by any means – but they were close enough that it would not be unimaginable that they would see each other on the subway or pass each other in a taxi cab now and then.

Staring up the steps leading to the rooftop apartment, Minseok’s heart skipped. What if his Father was not home? Or didn’t want to see him? Still, it was worth a shot. It had been running through his mind since he had ran into his Father the day before. Since he had laid awake in bed, looking at a sleeping Luhan. Since he had decided he needed to get to know the man more- had to get to know the man more – and figure out what was going on.

Minseok climbed the steps with an uneasy feeling. He stopped at the top of the stairs, taking in the scene. Potted plants dotted the rooftop, a grey and somewhat forlorn place, but familiar. Very like the place the Cloud Mountain pack had been forced to vacate (thanks Chanyeol).

“Minseok-ah?” It made sense that his Father knew he was there. He opened the door to his flat, taking in the sight of his son surveying his apartment.

“Um…” Minseok shifted his weight, “Do you have time to talk?”

“Of course. Come in” His Father stepped away from the door, holding it open for his son.

Minseok nodded, trying not to show too much emotion. He entered the apartment, not looking his Father in the eyes as he walked inside. He wasn’t comfortable showing such familiarity, at least not yet.

***

“Shot!”

“Shot!”

“Two shots!”

Luhan picked up the two shot glasses, double his drinks as he gulped down one then another, slamming them down on the table with a thud. What was supposed to be a couple of drinks with the boys suddenly turned into multiple drinks with the boys. Which turned into a call for shots every few minutes, his vision getting a bit blurry, and his tongue getting loose.

“You know what I think…” Luhan slurred, “I think Minseok is probably the hottest-“

“Ge, we don’t want to hear about how great Minseok hyung is” Baekhyun, always honest, brutally so, took a swig of Soju. “You love sick puppy. Aish.”

“Fine. Let’s talk about…um…”

“Unicorns! Who says they don’t exist? We do...” Yixing was staring at the ceiling, reclining back in his seat he missed the fact the other three men were staring at him like he had sprouted a unicorn horn.

“Yeah, maybe they do. We should go find one Ge” Jongdae giggled, sipping on his shot.

“Yah! What’s next vampires?” Luhan shook his head.

“Maybe. I mean, why not.” Baekhyun laughed, ready to egg on the situation.

“Yeah, why not?” Yixing looked around the table, his expression serious.

“I am pretty sure we would have met one by now…” Luhan took another shot.

“Maybe not. Maybe they are looking for us?” Yixing pondered.

“Mind blown” Baekhyun laughed, gesturing with his hands for emphasis.

“Let’s go get something to eat, I’m hungry” Jongdae blurted out, his head starting to spin.

“After a shot!” Luhan shouted, gulping down another, waiting for his pack members to accept his challenge.

***

The Eastern Dawn pack ended up at a street café, stuffing their drunk faces in silence as they wavered in their seats. Then the idea hit Luhan. He had started to feel a bit more sober than before as he ate, and now his mind wandered to the Lone wolf. Minseok’s father. Sung Woo. Whatever he should call him at this point.

“Hey, I am going to go for a walk.” Luhan stood up abruptly.

“Sure, Ge.” Yixing mumbled, his mouth stuffed with food.

It was easy to get away when the rest of your pack was hovering between intoxication and a food coma.

Luhan walked off. It was time to go see the old man. To find out more. To try to understand.

***

Minseok shifted. The chair was uncomfortable, the padding long since worn down. His Father’s house was sparsely decorated, with shabby furnishings. After hearing Luhan talk about how well connected his Father was, at least to Luhan’s knowledge, the abode did not match the status.

Sung Woo had offered his son some tea and fruit, seating himself in the brown patterned couch that took up the long wall of his small living room.

Minseok sipped his tea. It was bitter, just how he liked it.

“Minseok…” Sung Woo spoke slowly, carefully. The two had made plenty of small talk over the last few hours. Sung Woo now knew that his son loved reading, loved history, loved to learn. Minseok in turn heard about how his Father had a passion for motorcycles and rock music. It was a learning curve for both of them, a learning curve that they focused on instead of getting to the point. But Minseok needed to get to the point, so he took initiative, his heart pounding as he asked the question.

“When you said the government was after me, how do you play into that?” Minseok cut his father off, his words spoken with a confidence his father’s words had lacked.

Sung Woo lowered his head, staring at the floor he began, “I want to protect you.”

“They don’t know where I am...” Minseok mused.

“No, not yet. But they will.”

“How?”

“Because they aren’t alone any more. They have wolves working for them.” Sung Woo’s shoulders tensed, he raised his head to stare his son in the eyes. “And wolves will find you far better than any human ever could.”

“How could a wolf do that?” Minseok was genuinely surprised. The horrible past experiences he had in a lab made him question how any wolf could ever side with such monsters.

“They are stupid. They are beyond saving. They believe what they are told.” Sung Woo sat back on the couch, “I don’t want to see you disappear.”

Minseok swallowed hard. It wasn’t even a question of his own safety any more, he was pregnant. If they took him they took his pups.

“What do we do?” Minseok asked, his own voice surprising him. It was meek, it was quiet, it was less confident than he wanted it to be.

“I can help you son, but you have to let me.” Sung Woo never wavered his gaze from his son.

“How?”

“They want you because of your nature. They want you because your senses are heightened….whatever they did to you, somehow you are less wolf more human – but with senses that any wolf would be jealous of “Sung Woo paused for a moment, holding back the tears that threatened to appear, “Whatever they did to you in the lab they want you back. If they want you…they want what you are. What your pups will be.”

Minseok’s head jerked up. What was his father implying?

“Minseok” Sung Woo whispered, his voice harsh and packed full of emotion, “I hate even suggesting it…but…if you give them your pups I think they will let you be.”

Minseok stared at his Father, his head swimming. Was this reality? Was his Father honestly suggesting he sacrifice his children for himself?

“You…can have more pups, please.” Sung Woo grasp his hands together, his glance heated and full of pain. “Save yourself.”

Minseok suddenly felt sick, very sick.

***

Luhan had stumbled up the stairs, making far too much noise. Or at least he thought he had made his presence loud and clear. His inebriation was starting to wear off after his meal and his walk but he was still not one hundred percent sober. Therefore he was surprised the old wolf didn’t come out to greet him.

He caught the scent of his mate as he neared the apartment. It was Minseok. Luhan tensed as he thought of his mate meeting the lone wolf without telling him. But then his mind returned to their recent disagreement, of the meaning of space. The man was Minseok’s Father after all, even if Luhan was currently wary of him.

Steadying his steps Luhan approached the apartment, listening. He caught a conversation, words that were hard to make out until he crept nearer.

It was Sung Woo and Minseok and their words seemed guarded, thought out. He decided to wait, listen. Even if he had sworn he would do better, let Minseok have his time, be less clingy, his instinct got the better of him. He needed to know what was going on. Plus he hadn’t meant to follow Minseok here, it had just happened that way.

And then everything stopped.

When Sung Woo made the suggestion that Minseok sacrifice his pups- hell their pups- Luhan was a second away from barging into the flat and punching the old man. But he held back, largely because he heard, sensed, Minseok approaching- leaving the flat at the ludicrous suggestion. Afraid he would ruin everything he descended the stairs and made his way quickly down the sidewalk, aware that Minseok would be soon to follow.

As Luhan made his escape a fire course through him, anger being an understatement for what he felt at the moment. But now he needed Minseok to tell him about it, because he wasn’t supposed to be there. Wasn’t supposed to hear what made him want to shift and tear Sung Woo limb from limb. What made him feel like violence was justified.

***

Minseok entered the house, his mind still a jumble from what had happened. What his own Father had suggested. Sacrifice his grandchildren for his son? Minseok stormed up the stairs, ready to throw himself onto his bed and immerse himself in dark contemplation, in anger, in outrage.

“Hyung!” Tao shouted after Minseok. “I am dating Sehun!”

Minseok didn’t bother to acknowledge the pups’ confession. He didn’t have time for it. He ignored a sulking Tao, Sehun glued to his side.

He burst into his bedroom. Not Luhan’s room, where he had been sleeping for many a night, but his room. He plopped down on his bed, burying his face in the covers he began to cry quietly.

Minseok remained like that for a long time. Eventually a soft knock sounded, but he ignored it. He knew who it was any way.

Luhan entered the room, ignoring an invitation.

“Min, are you okay?” Luhan walked towards the bed, sitting at the edge he placed a hand on Minseok’s back and began patting him softly.

“Yeah” Minseok lifted his head, wiping a hand over his cheeks to dry his tears, “Must just be emotional right now, pregnancy and all”

Luhan gritted his teeth but remained silent. So this was how it was going to be? Minseok was going to hide it from him?

“Did something happen today?” Luhan asked, giving his mate a more obvious invitation to tell him about his Father’s insane request.

“No” Minseok answered. ”Nothing happened.”

Luhan’s blood ran cold at his mate’s words. Secrets that he had never considered sprung between them, building a wall he had never seen coming.