Chapter 20

Love Unexpected

 “So- let me just make sure I understand this. You are humans-“

“Yep.”

“Who are dedicated to hybrid rights…?”

“Uh huh”

“But you don’t do anything publically?”

“That’s right.” Professor Jung nodded and smiled.

 “Exactly.” Changmin answered.

“Oh…that makes sense. I guess.” Minseok did not actually think that made any sense at all, but apparently the other three men did.

After Changmin had entered the classroom the four of them had taken a seat for a much needed chat. Luhan and the other two seemed to be on the same page (whatever page that happened to be) while Minseok was completely dumbfounded. In all of his time hiding in society he had never once heard of hybrid rights activists.

When the purge had occurred it had been something that was far from secret. When hybrids had been outed to the general public almost twenty years ago humanity had some thinking to do. The resolution to the hybrid “problem” was almost unanimous no matter what country of the world a hybrid called home – they were vicious beasts that needed to be eradicated. Some clung to religion, calling them abominations; others clung to health and public safety. Some governments blamed every violent act they could think of on the creatures. Regardless of the motivation, the hybrids were eradicated en masse.

Of course the public didn’t know that some governments had taken hybrids captive for purposes that were on the sadistic side. They were studied, tortured, injected, and pulled apart. The ones that were not killed or captured became boogey men – scary beasts that must be avoided at all costs. Creatures that figured out how to pretend to be human, to walk among humanity as a shadowy threat.

In the present day hybrids were feared but they were thought to be almost extinct. How any human being would have decided to stand up for these creatures in the face of such facts was beyond Minseok’s reasoning.

“Why?” Minseok decided playing the understanding card was probably not going to help him in this situation.

“Good question! I like you already Minseok. Luhan, I think you may be replaced as my favorite student soon.” Professor Jung shot Luhan a playful wink before launching into an explanation, “Because I have the common sense to know that killing of an entire species without real evidence of their destructive tendencies is both immoral and just plain stupid. Because I have known more than a few hybrids in my life that were better friends, hell – better creatures than most of the humans I meet. Because propaganda against hybrids is hurting society not helping it.”

Minseok kind of felt like crying, but he held back. Could it be that there really was someone who was willing to stand up for his kind? Someone that maybe just might be able to do something about the societal hatred towards his species? It was a push, but it was the first hope he had in this front in…well, forever. He had never even given himself the luxury of thinking of such a thing, it was outrageous.

“So why aren’t you vocal about it?” Minseok needed this piece of the puzzle filled in. He always thought activists were sign carrying, microphone toting, street corner shouting people. Their message was relayed loud and clear to whoever would listen.

“It’s too dangerous,” Changmin answered, cutting off Professor Jung’s potential answer, “At least it has been. The most secretive parts of our government are involved in the hybrid issue. We haven’t stood a chance. What we need is a lot of evidence. When we strike it has to be final – a blow to bring to light everything the government hasn’t told the people, a blow that will change people’s perception and bring down the governments experiments at the same time.”

Minseok couldn’t really argue with their reasoning. Going against the government, who had immense control over the media and therefore the public perception, was not an easy feat. Crying out for hybrid rights on some street corner would not exactly bring about change.

“And your mate here is someone we have wanted to work with for a while. “ Professor Jung threw an arm over Luhan’s shoulder, it was clear they were close, “But he never wanted to be the poster boy of the hybrid rights movement. I guess we have you to thank for his change of mind.”

Luhan felt the need to explain to Minseok, “I was afraid if we got involved it would mean the entire pack would be exterminated….I didn’t think we stood a chance. But now we have no choice – we have to stand a chance. We have to win.”

“That’s the spirit! Now we need a plan.” Professor Jung sprung up, “To the bat cave boys.”

“You have a cave?!” Minseok asked, causing the other three to burst out laughing.

“No, my god Minseok what do you think we are?”

Minseok blushed and looked annoyed, “Let’s just get to the planning.”

Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand and pulled him up.

“Thanks Min, sorry I didn’t tell you before.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just get moving.” Minseok was ready to hear this plan. He fully expected it to be outrageous. Just how outrageous though surprised him.

***

The Angel Café was packed. With school starting up again the place saw a familiar influx of stressed out students added on top of the already regular customer base.

Yixing had been trying his best to fill the orders as quickly as Baekhyun took them but he was falling woefully behind. Where was Jongdae – he was supposed to be helping.

“Jongdae! Ya!” Yixing shouted out for the missing in action barista. Of course there was no response. Of course.

Baekhyun, whose temper was not his strong point, was pretty sure he would punch Jongdae as soon as he made an appearance again.

As the cash register popped open with a ring again and again, as the receipts piled up, the hybrids of the Angel Café neared a nervous breakdown. Thankfully help showed up just in time.

Luhan entered through the front door, seeing the situation he immediately threw on an apron and went behind the counter to help out. Within a few minutes Luhan’s help made all of the difference. The orders were cleared out and everyone finally had a second to breathe.

“If Jongdae actually DID his job-“Baekhyun launched into a ramble when the man himself appeared from the back room.

“Ya! Where were you?” Yixing let him have it first.

Jongdae’s face was red and he looked severely annoyed. “I wasn’t missing of my own accord. Hey Luhan-“ Jongdae gave a disgusted look at his pack leader, “You need to tell that Sohee chick that she can’t come around here anymore. She wouldn’t let me come back in from tossing out the garbage! It was all Luhan this and where is he and –“

“Is she still out there?” Luhan asked, taking Jongdae by surprise. Luhan looked…almost excited to hear her name, which would be a first.

“God, I hope not.”

Apparently overuse of hairspray must give people super hearing because just as Jongdae was cursing her name, Sohee practically skipped through the door to the counter.

“Luhan! I knew you would be here!” She smiled sweetly. Well, she was probably trying to smile sweetly. The only thing Jongdae saw was a little devil with a grin on her face.

And then the unthinkable happened.

“Sohee! Just the person I wanted to see!”

Yixing, Jongdae, and Baekhyun shot each other looks of pure confusion as they watched Luhan walk up to the girl, his expression full of happiness and welcome.

“What in the hell is going on….” Yixing whispered as he watched Luhan start to flirt with the girl.

“I don’t know but I will bet you a hundred dollars Minseok kills him before the day is over.” Baekhyun answered without looking away from the outrageous scene.

“I am not betting on something I am sure to lose on” Yixing answered

“Does he have amnesia or something” Jongdae was pretty sure something had happened to his pack leader. 

Just what in the hell was going on?

***

The person that was sure to kill Luhan (at least according to the employees of the Angel Café) currently had his feet propped up. He was munching on a bag of chips, trying to curb his hunger until dinner was served. He idly flipped channels until he landed on a drama that he had been watching whenever he found time. He found himself so engrossed he didn’t notice So Ra walk in the living room.

She sat down next to Minseok, “It is strange to see you without Luhan nowadays.”

“Yeah, well he had something to do.”

“Is that bitterness that I hear in your voice?” So Ra had learned long ago that holding back her words with these boys was usually not beneficial to either party.

Minseok sighed.  “Maybe.”

“Did you guys meet with Professor Jung?”

“Bingo.” Minseok shoved a handful of chips into his mouth.

“And I am guessing whatever he had to say was not to your liking?”

Minseok swallowed the salty chips with a gulp, “Very observant.”

So Ra would normally give Minseok a verbal smack down for his attitude but she was also well aware of what he was going through – pregnancy did some wacky things to people’s emotions. Instead of scolding the boy she just went ahead with questioning him calmly. And that is when the flood gates opened.

After a good five minutes Minseok’s long rant was winding down, but the fury was still in his voice “And because that TART is the daughter of POLITICIAN WHATS HIS NAME they want Luhan to DATE HER. Do you know how ridiculous that is! Just to get information?! How could they even think that would work – for crying out loud it is her ing Dad with all the power, why does Luhan have to go play with his daughter? What in the hell could he find out from that?!”

Now Minseok’s mood made sense. From what So Ra had pieced together from Minseok’s outburst Sung Woo was indeed associated with Club M- and that his affiliation was focused on one of Club M’s most senior members. Also known as Ahn Sohee’s father – national assemblyman Ahn Chil Hyun.

It was no secret Sohee had been chasing after Luhan for years, even So Ra knew the girl. She had never visited the house and as far as So Ra knew Luhan had constantly turned her down for a date – hell, for even a vague sense of friendship. But now that the connection between Sung Woo and her Father was known it made some kind of sense the girl could be of use to them.

“Do you want some ice cream?” So Ra knew anything she said to Minseok – any words about how much Luhan loved him or how much his “playing “ with Sohee meant nothing to his relationship with Minseok would likely fall on deaf ears so she did what she knew best. Feed the beast.

Minseok huffed before answering quietly, “Yeah.”

“Coming right up!” So Ra hadn’t lost her touch after all these years.

***

Luhan was pretty sure he had thrown up a little in his mouth.

“Oppa, can you buy me this?” Sohee did a little jump in front of Luhan, sticking out her bottom lip she did her best pout.

“Sure.” Luhan answered, mentally reprimanding himself when Sohee gave him a confused look.

“You aren’t mad, are you Oppa?” Sohee dropped the purse she had been holding up and practically wrapped herself around Luhan’s arm.

It had been an exhausting few hours. Since he had met up with Sohee at the Angel Café Luhan had taken her out shopping. Largely because she suggested it and he was in no position to say no. Shopping with Sohee turned out to be a never ending show of nauseating aegyo and constant wrist pulling towards the latest trinket that captured the girl’s eye.

“No, Oppa’s not mad. Just tired.”

“Do you want to go for some coffee?” Sohee asked.

“No, that’s fine.” What he wanted to do was run away but that wasn’t an option.

Sohee made a small noise of excitement, for what reason Luhan had no idea (he had given up trying to understand what in the hell this girl was all about) and grabbed his wrist yet again.

“Cool. Let’s buy this and then we can go to my ABSOLUTELY FAVORITE store of all!”

Great, just ing wonderful. Her absolutely favorite store.

“Sounds great, lead the way.” He tried to candy coat his words as much as possible, but he still had a hint of sarcasm in his voice.  

Luhan had new respect for the acting profession. If his current situation was anything to judge by, his acting needed a lot of improvement. So did his gag reflex.

***

Tao was afraid of bugs. It was pretty ridiculous if you considered all of the other things he was not afraid of. But bugs – there was something about the creepy crawly disgusting little parasites that made Tao want to run away. It was too bad then that the place he found himself had plenty of spider webs. Which meant spiders. Which meant he was really going to have to work on not screaming his head off at the first sight of one of the pests.

Instead he focused on cursing Luhan and Minseok. They were the ones that had him trailing after the old wolf night and day after all. They probably didn’t even care he might get a spider bite from all of his efforts. Spider bites could become infected. What if he lost an arm?

Tao’s phobia was momentarily put on the back burner as he heard voices. Straining to hear he held his breath.

The men were talking in hushed tones, their words indiscernible even with the enhanced hearing range he possessed as a hybrid. Tao had followed Sung Woo to the complex of run down office buildings a little over an hour ago. He had kept his distance – he couldn’t get too close or Sung Woo would certainly catch his scent and the game would be up.

He had climbed to the rooftop of one of the smaller buildings and made his way towards the building Sung Woo had entered, listening closely to make sure his target was not close enough to detect him. And that is how he ended up in the cobweb filled storage room, trying to figure out what was going on.

The voices didn’t get any closer and the words did not become any clearer as the hushed conversation continued. Tao considered leaving the room to retreat back to the rooftop, at least then he would hopefully be able to see the men leave. Maybe then he could at least report back on who Sung Woo was meeting with.

As minutes ticked by and Tao still had nothing to report back but a quiet (and rather shady) discussion he finally made a move to sneak out of the room and back to the rooftop. He carefully inched the door open. When he did not see anyone in the hallway he crept out, his target the window at the end of the hall.

The voices grew fainter as he reached the end of the hallway. Tao put a hand on the window sill, ready to push himself through the half opened window that had gained him entrance to the place. As he pulled himself through the opening he felt resistance in the form of a hand grabbing his leg.

Tao reacted swiftly, kicking at the hand as he pushed himself through the window with all of his might. He broke into a run as soon as he landed on the rooftop, whoever had grabbed him was most likely not there for a friendly get together. As he ran down the fire escape, hitting the pavement hard, he chanced a glance back towards the rooftop. He could make out the outline of someone staring down at him, unmoving. More importantly he picked up a scent he did not recognize, and it was definitely from a hybrid.

There was no time to consider anything but how to get the hell out of the situation he was in, so he ran as fast as he could out of the complex, away from the place, cursing Minseok and Luhan and their god damn assignment the entire way.

***

 Jongdae, Baekhyun, and Yixing had arrived home twenty minutes ago. After closing the café they had dragged their feet all the way back to the estate. Honestly they did not want to witness a murder and they were pretty sure one would (or had) occurred – that is if Minseok knew what his mate had been up to that night.

When they had found the place surprisingly free of blood they breathed a collective sigh of relief. Then they walked in on Minseok, face buried in a bucket of ice cream as he apparently ate every feeling he possessed. The three of them wanted to make a hasty exit from the living room, but Minseok had noticed them.

“Sit. At least you guys could keep me company.”

So they sat, their palms sweaty.

“So, uh, how was school?” Jongdae asked nervously.

“I threw up on someone.” Minseok answered, scooping another spoonful of ice cream into his mouth.

“Ohhh, well that sounds nice.” Baekhyun said carefully, looking at the television so he wouldn’t have to make eye contact with Minseok.

“Who is ready for some beer?!” And stupid had arrived.

The four denizens of the living room of emotions, ice cream, and an extremely uncomfortable atmosphere looked towards the doorway to see a smiling Chanyeol stride in, his arms full of beer.

“Hey boss, how was your afternoon?” Chanyeol asked, grabbing a beer and cracking it open, completely oblivious to the death looks that were being sent his way by Jongdae, Yixing, and Baekhyun.

“Oh, just great.” Minseok answered sarcastically.

“You want to know something funny?” Chanyeol took a swig from his beer, burped and then continued “My marketing professor says he has never seen a student like me. Like me. He loves me, already.”

“Is that so?” Minseok asked, his eyes flashing in annoyance.

“Yep. Hyung it looks like this school thing is just what I needed! You too, huh? Eating ice cream because you are so happy…” Chanyeol gave Minseok an idiotic smile.

Baekhyun tried to elbow Chanyeol after his comment, but his timing was too far off.

“You think I am eating ice cream because I am happy?!”

“Sure, why else would you eat ice cream?” Chanyeol answered, swiping the remote from the table and flipping the channel. Jongdae, Yixing, and Baekhyun made little noises of warning but Chanyeol seemed not to notice. As the three of them braced for the explosion that would surely happen (with visions of a dead Chanyeol floating around in their minds) a distraction occurred. Well not exactly a distraction – the main show had arrived.

Luhan walked in. He stopped in the doorway, his eyes fixed on Minseok.

“Oh god, he’s going to die isn’t he.” Jongdae whispered – too engrossed in the coming storm to look away.

“Hyung, you want a beer?” Chanyeol held one up, still flipping through the channels, still completely stupid to the tension in the air.

“Shut up- just shut up Chanyeol” Baekhyun elbowed him again, this time telling him flat out to stop talking.

“Why?!” Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun in annoyance. Baekhyun motioned towards Luhan, who was still standing frozen in the doorway. With wide eyes the four men looked from Luhan to Minseok and back. Minseok was staring at the television, not acknowledging Luhan’s arrival.

“Minseok. Please kill me.” Luhan whined.

The audience to Luhan and Minseok’s soon- to-be fight braced for impact. So he would ask for death so easily? Again they looked between the two lovers. Knowing they had no escape route they might as well take in the show.

Minseok remained silent.

“She made me go shopping for dog clothes for her designer dog. DOG CLOTHES. DOG TOYS. DOG….C…O…L…L…A…R..S “Luhan crossed the room swiftly, and in one fluid movement he was next to his mate with tears streaming down his face.

Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Yixing were shocked. Luhan was not a crier but apparently his shopping trip had pushed him over the edge.

After a few tense seconds Minseok finally spoke.

“Serves you right.” He took another mouthful of ice cream. “Idiot.”

Luhan buried his head in Minseok’s shoulder, hugging him he ignored the other occupants of the room.

Minseok smiled slightly, which terrified the others.

“Um, are you guys going to fight?” Chanyeol asked in confusion.

“No!” Minseok and Luhan shot him an angry look and answered in unison.

“I should have placed that bet” Yixing murmured, wide eyed at how the two pack leaders were acting. What in the hell happened to a homicidal Minseok?

“Let’s go to bed Lu.” Minseok set his ice cream down and grabbed his mate’s hand.

As the two left, the room fell into astonished silence.

“What in the hell was that!” Jongdae asked.

“Beer?” Chanyeol asked, grabbing get ice cream tub that Minseok had left and taking a bite.

“Yeah, I think I need one.”

The four men sat and drank for a while, trying to figure out how anything that had just occurred made any sense at all. After a few minutes they heard a howl, and it was not the kind of howl that signaled distress. Nope, it was more of a …pleasurable howl. Love is a strange thing indeed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n- Some Baek-Yixing- Jongdae for y’all. I felt like I they had kind of fallen to the wayside lately so I wanted to give them some time in the spotlight or at least near it.

Oh, and if you are wondering who Sohee’s papa is – Ahn Chil Hyun – he also goes by the name (well, the real him) of Kangta. Yep, throwing in some first generation idols to the story. I kind of had to because of his shared surname with our little princess AND the following pic (come on, he looks evil here. just imagine him a bit older so he could actually be Sohee’s papa):

Hope you enjoyed the update and as always leave me a comment or come harass me on tumblr. Thanks for reading!