Chapter 1

Love Unexpected

He felt it. It happened so fast, but he felt it. Luhan jerked backwards as his wallet was snatched from his back pocket. The school courtyard was busy now, even with the snow, so it was a few seconds before Luhan could tell who had so unceremoniously stolen his wallet. But he saw him – the brunette man walking away at a leisurely pace. And he was sure he was a hybrid. He could smell him.

Luhan’s instincts took over and he dashed for the brunette man, surprising a group of girls who were walking behind him. With a muttered apology cast over his shoulder he tried to catch the thief, but the thief was not ready to be caught. He started to run, leaving Luhan to trail after him with determination.

The man was fast, leading Luhan across the campus. While running Luhan had to remind himself not to utilize the speed he could summon, the speed that would reveal his true nature. It was weaving through the school walkways, to the street, and into the neighborhood around the school. It was a chase that made Luhan’s eyes burn with the cold air. It was a chase that had his blood pumping unlike it had in years.

**

Minseok was reckless. Yep. He had done something stupid that was for sure. The man was chasing him now, having almost immediately realized the theft of his wallet. Damn it, why had he done it? There was little to consider now except escape. If only he had chosen a target that could not run as fast as he could, if only he had ignored the man.

Minseok turned down an alley, he had to try to plan an escape that did not give the man any clue of where Minseok lived. Of course Minseok’s home was far enough away from the campus that normally he would not worry that any one of his targets could chase him back there- but this was a different situation. He was being chased by a hybrid like himself, which meant their stamina exceeded that of a normal human.

His situation was made even more apparent when his face met the pavement, hard.

“Give it back” It was more of a growl than words.

Minseok struggled, managing to flip himself over. His show of strength was only momentary as he was pinned down by the man on top of him. He was strong, an alpha for sure Minseok thought. He chanced a glance at his face. It was slightly contorted in anger, but could not hide his baby face. His blonde hair was messy, his upturned nose and dark brown eyes were wrinkled with anger. He was cute.

It seemed like minutes passed like this but it was only seconds. Minseok struggled, managing to move the man off of him enough to crawl on back towards the alley wall. But this guy was a fighter, Minseok realized, as he launched himself at him again. Funny, he seemed too pretty to be a fighter.

Without words Minseok grabbed the wallet he had stolen and threw it, watching the man dash towards it. He was done with this, done with his own stupidity. He stood and ran, cursing his recklessness as he heard the man yell after him. The words were clear “Who are you? I know what you are!”

That was the problem, Minseok thought, the problem he had just created for himself.

***

“So you met another hybrid? And….”

Luhan sighed. “And I think we need to figure out where he came from. We haven’t seen any hybrids close to this area in months.”

It was hard. Sometimes his second in command could be so oblivious. Of course if another hybrid was in the area they needed to investigate. But to Yixing, the innocent but kind second in command of the Eastern Dawn pack, another hybrid meant little – at least it meant little unless they caused problems for the pack. But to Luhan the simple act of pick pocketing meant more than petty crime, it was an invitation.

“Of course Lu Ge, we should.” Yixing nodded, continuing to create the caffeinated masterpiece he had started almost five minutes before. Luhan was thankful his best friend and second in command was so skilled in being a barista – it made letting him manage the café he owned that much easier.

“So we need to figure out where he came from and if he belongs to a pack. I am thinking that-“

“We need more cream.”

Luhan rolled his eyes, casting a stern glance at Baekhyun who had just emerged from the back room.

Baekhyun got the message loud and clear, lowering his head.

“What’s up boss?” He asked. It was hard, no matter how much they tried, to completely forget their true nature. When the alpha scolded him- even with body language, Baekhyun would comply (at least most of the time).

“I met a hybrid today. I think we need to track him down.” Luhan replied. If Yixing’s actions sometimes left him at a loss, Baekhyun’s often left him annoyed. Affectionately annoyed, but still annoyed.

“A hybrid? Where?” Baekhyun’s curiosity was sparked. It was not usual for the Eastern Dawn to meet a new hybrid. Their kind was rare after the government purge and even rarer was a hybrid in Seoul that was not made known to the esteemed Eastern Dawn Pack, once the pride of the hybrids in Korea.

“At school. He is a pickpocket apparently. A good one. I only noticed because I could smell him.” Luhan took a drink of his cappuccino. The café was slow today, the snow keeping the customers at bay. It was a good thing, all of the customers were seated far from the counter, allowing them to have a quiet conversation about their true nature. Of course they had to be guarded with their words, but Luhan knew the customers in the shop were regulars and of no threat.

Luhan took another sip of the warm concoction. It had been about five years since he had opened up the Café Angel, using the money he had accumulated with help from his father’s old friends. It had been a blessing to own the place- it gave his fellow pack members a place to work (while not attending college) and it acted as a de facto social place for them, albeit without anyone knowing what they really were.

“A thief? That is gutsy” Baekhyun replied, leaning down to check the coolers under the counter for supplies.

“If he can control himself it really isn’t. It may be the only way he can live. Remember, everyone is not as lucky as we are.” Luhan reminded him. It was true, the Eastern Dawn pack had been extremely lucky – at least those who escaped the purge. They were able to purchase papers and assume identities that made them as human as they could be, at least under intense inspection. Other hybrids, without the financial means, were far worse off. They could never join society due to their lack of paperwork backing up their humanity, and thus had to live on the fringes of a society that presumably hated them.

“Well, I mean, couldn’t he get a job doing something where they don’t ask about papers and stuff? I mean…”

“I think we need to find him to figure out why he is doing what he does.” Luhan cut off Baek’s words, resolute to figure out who the brunette, the strong brunette with the interesting smell came from.

“Yeah, Okay. Whatever you say boss”

Luhan nodded. He needed to know. Really. For logistical reasons. Not because of the smell that enticed him, the feeling of the others strong arms fighting with him. Not because of a need he could not explain. Not because in twenty two years he had never met another one of his kind that made him feel empty, oddly empty. Definitely not because of that.

***

“Are you okay?” Suho was busy inspecting Minseok from head to toe with his eyes, concern lighting up his face. Minseok nodded. He grabbed the beer that Tao offered him, plopping down on the ratty sofa. It was good to be home, especially after such an incident.

“So he is a wolf?” Suho asked, plopping down next to Minseok.

“Yeah.” Minseok took a drink, savoring the taste of the beverage, “Looks like a well off one too. Must have been one of the lucky ones.”

“Must be nice” Kyungsoo remarked, taking a seat next to Suho.

Their home. The Cloud Mountain Pack had a long and difficult decade prior and this is where they had ended up. During the beginning of the purge they had been taken by government agents. The majority of the elders had been killed immediately, the juveniles were kept for study. That is how Minseok had spent many years – locked in a lab. It was an ugly and terrible time which ended when he was able to see an opportunity to escape, which he promptly took. Suho had been with him and they had ran away from that terrible place. They ended up in Seoul, with the streets as their home. It had taken them a long time to scrounge up enough for a broken down place to sleep – their current digs, as ratty as they were, were much better than where they began their lives among humanity.

“Wonder what that is like…” Tao said, sitting on the tattered leather chair that made up the rest of their living room furniture.

“No point in thinking about it, now is there.” Minseok was their leader, even if his alpha status was not yet confirmed, he had to keep them in line – and their spirits up.

“What are we thinking about? Is it…..me?!”

And so the energy entered the small flat. Chanyeol had arrived, and with him the bustling energy of a hybrid that could never really sit still. It was a dichotomy, really. Chanyeol had been practically raised in the lab, his background was far more painful than he ever let on. Yet he was always the first to laugh, the first to smile and the first to bring up the spirits of everyone else.

“No!” Kyungsoo gave the newcomer a strong pair of side eyes, returning his focus to Minseok “Hyung, you are really okay, right?”

Minseok nodded. If anything was a blessing it was his pack. They truly cared for him and looked up to him, even if his alpha status had yet to be confirmed. It was an oddity, most wolves already had gone through their first heat or confirmed their alpha status by the time they reached Minseok’s age. But nothing had happened to him. His status as pack leader was confirmed due to his age and the fact his Uncle had led the Cloud Mountain pack before the purge- the proud but small pack that lived on Mount Hall on Jeju Island. The small pack that was now only five.

After Chanyeol raised an eyebrow to question the concern for Minseok and was filled in on the day’s events he launched into a riotous announcement-

“New, perfect target!” As Chanyeol began his story Suho shook his head. Among everyone in the pack he had the hardest time going along with their criminal activities. But he also knew there was no other way for them to really survive- they had to hide their true nature while never being able to merge completely into human society given their lack of identification.

“Don’t worry Suho hyung- this is a slam dunk! He is beyond interested in me. In fact he wanted to buy me a car as long as I went out with him. Our prayers are answered!” Chanyeol’s words spilled out. He went to the fridge and grabbed a beer, cracking it with the same goofy smile on his face.

“Do you know anything about him?” Minseok asked, sipping his own beverage.

“Of course. I checked it all out.” Chanyeol launched into an explanation of the copious (though Minseok thought it was rather brief) amount of research he had conducted on his newest target. Chanyeol was a good conman – his cheery nature as infective to the point he was a natural at the game of dating and taking people for everything they had. Still, a man that offered a car for the first date was extremely suspicious.

“I will go with you - as backup” Minseok stated, not trusting whoever this great rich guy was. He would tag along on the date, without letting his presence be known to the man. He had to make sure his pack member was safe, it was his duty.

Chanyeol wasn’t exactly thrilled with the idea, Minseok could tell, but he acquiesced. Minseok was the leader after all – his word was as close to law as the ragtag misfits who lived on the outskirts of society had.

***

“So this amazing rich guy wants to go to a café on the first date?” Minseok raised an eyebrow at Chanyeol, who was busy fixing the collar of his shirt.

“Yep. Remember hyung, he is a big fish. We need whatever he can give us.”

Minseok nodded, “Just be careful, I will be watching. I’ll go in first, come in a few minutes after me.”

“Got it.”

Minseok walked the couple of blocks to the café, admiring the scenery. This was a nicer part of Seoul, he was glad he dressed well so he could fit in. He could make out the café sidewalk sign from a block away (he was always told his eyesight was better than most hybrids). Americano- his favorite- was a special for the day. At least something about this was going right so far.

Angel Café. Interesting. He put his hands in his pockets as he entered the café. It smelled of coffee beans and baked goods. The walls were part exposed brick, part signage, part a muted green. Booths lined the far wall with tables of dark cherry stain scattered about. It was homey, nice. Maybe this was a good place for a date. And then it hit him. The smell. Oh god, the smell. Why didn’t he notice it earlier? Was it because of how busy the area was? Oh god. He froze.

Luhan was busy at the cash register, counting the afternoon’s earnings. When the bells on the door rang he looked up, expecting a regular. He couldn’t move. The brunette, the pickpocket, had just walked into his café. Time stopped.