Chapter 66

After a Minute

          With winter break now in full swing, the boys could finally relax. One afternoon, Kyuhyun and Sungmin were sitting in the kitchen looking over details for their upcoming wedding. “Can you believe we’re only six months away from our big day?” Sungmin wondered as he leaned his head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

          Kyuhyun grinned and pressed a kiss to Sungmin’s head. “I know, I’m excited,” he agreed. Taking his fiancé’s hand, Kyuhyun gazed at the silver banded ring. “I promise I’m gonna get you a much better ring before the wedding.” He then kissed Sungmin’s hand as the blonde smiled while a blush crept across his cheeks.

          Just then, Yesung entered the kitchen and said “Hey guys, what’re you doing?”

          “Just doing some stuff for the wedding,” Sungmin informed.

          “Perfect, cuz I have a proposition for you two,” Yesung stated.

          “Oh God, this should be good,” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath before feeling Sungmin gently smack his arm.

          “Kyuhyun be nice,” Sungmin quietly scolded before turning to his brother. “What is your proposal Yesung?”

          “Okay, so Ryeowook and I have decided that we would make perfect wedding singers for your guys’ first dance song,” Yesung offered.

          Sungmin gasped as a large grin grew across his lips, while Kyuhyun sat there with a dropped jaw and a confused expression. “Oh my gosh, that’d be so sweet and awesome of you guys,” Sungmin exclaimed. “What do you think Kyuhyun?”

          “Uh, no,” Kyuhyun replied.

          “Why not?” Yesung asked.

          “For starters, we already have the wedding singer picked out and she’s really good. Number two, what kind of song would you guys sing?” Kyuhyun questioned.

          “Well who do you have picked out to sing? I bet I could sing circles around her,” Yesung challenged.

          Kyuhyun smirked and pulled out his phone. “Here, just watch this video,” he requested.

          Yesung took Kyuhyun’s phone and watched and listened to a girl play a guitar and sing along. “Holy , she’s really good,” Yesung admitted as he handed Kyuhyun his phone back.

          “Told ya,” Kyuhyun remarked.

          “Who is she?” Yesung wondered.

          “Her name is Kwon Boa and she’s an aspiring artist. She performs in café’s and bookstores, that’s where Sungmin and I met her. We offered her a job to perform at the wedding and she kindly took it,” Kyuhyun explained.

          “She’s really nice and she has an awesome voice, she could be a professional,” Sungmin agreed.

          “Okay, I admit she is really good, but maybe this will make you reconsider,” Yesung said before turning and calling “Ryeowook, come here!”

          Soon the smaller brunette Korean appeared in the doorway of the kitchen. “What is it Yesungie?” he asked his boyfriend.

          “Remember what we talked about doing for Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s wedding?” Yesung reminded.

          “Oh yeah,” Ryeowook nodded.

          “What do you guys have planned?” Sungmin curiously wondered.

          “Yes please, I’m just dying to know,” Kyuhyun sarcastically responded, draping an arm around his blonde fiancé.

          “Okay, so do you guys remember a few weeks ago when we watched that American movie about the two cop friends who had to go undercover and dress up as girls?” Ryeowook asked.

          “You mean ‘White Chicks’?” Sungmin clarified.

          “Yeah that movie,” Yesung confirmed.

          “I don’t like where this is going,” Kyuhyun muttered.

          “Well remember that song that kept popping up all through the movie? We looked it up, and got the lyrics and we decided that it would be the perfect song for you guys; it’s so romantic and fun,” Ryeowook said.

          “So our gift to you is to perform a duet version of the song as you guys do your first dance thing,” Yesung stated. “We’ll give you a demo.”

          Sungmin smiled as Kyuhyun whispered “Oh Christ no.”

          It took every bit of Kyuhyun’s strength not to laugh or crack a smile as the two performed. When it was finished, Heechul, who had wandered in during the performance to get a drink, asked “What the hell was that?”

          “That was a demo of what we’re doing for Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s wedding,” Yesung informed. “I think we have a good taste in music.”

          “Yesung, I threw a spoon in a blender once and convinced you that that was how dubstep was created. You have no taste, you’ll listen to anything,” Heechul said before exiting the kitchen and heading back upstairs.

          “What’d you guys think?” Ryeowook asked as they turned to the engaged couple.

          “I think it was very entertaining,” Sungmin promised. “Kyuhyun, maybe we should let them do something.”

          “Baby, you can’t be serious,” Kyuhyun responded.

          “Please Kyuhyun, please, please,” Sungmin begged as he rested his chin on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and looked up at his fiancé.

          Kyuhyun sighed as a smile grew across his lips. “Oh, you know I can’t deny my baby anything his heart wants,” the dark brunette Korean stated before kissing Sungmin’s forehead. Turning to Yesung and Ryeowook, Kyuhyun suggested “Okay, here’s what we’ll give you; Kwon Boa is still singing our first dance song and all the ballads, but you two will sing the dance numbers, deal?”

          “Sold,” Yesung agreed, slamming his palm on the table. “You will not regret this guys.”

          “Something tells me we will before the wedding is over,” Kyuhyun muttered to himself as Yesung and Ryeowook left the kitchen.

          “Hey Kyuhyun?” Eunhyuk asked, as he entered the dining room area.

          “Yeah?” Kyuhyun wondered, glancing up at his friend.

          “Could I talk to you for a second?” Eunhyuk requested, motioning for Kyuhyun to join him in the hallway.

          “Sure,” Kyuhyun agreed, standing up and walking out into the hallway with Eunhyuk. “What’s up?”

          “I, I was wondering something, and I’d like you to keep it a secret,” Eunhyuk said.

          “Okay sure, what is it?” Kyuhyun questioned.

          “Where did you buy Sungmin’s engagement ring?” Eunhyuk asked.

          “Why do you need to –” Kyuhyun started before noticing the smile and blush on Eunhyuk’s face. Kyuhyun dropped his jaw as his eyed widened. “You and Donghae?”

          “I was gonna go pick out a ring sometime in the next few weeks and wait til after graduation before I ask him,” Eunhyuk informed.

          “Oh my god, dude that’s awesome,” Kyuhyun whispered.

          “But nobody can know about this, I need it to be a surprise,” Eunhyuk requested.

          “Oh yeah absolutely,” Kyuhyun agreed. “And don’t worry, when I go pick out Sungmin’s wedding band, you can come with me and look at all the variety they have.”

          “Okay thanks Kyuhyun, I appreciate it,” Eunhyuk remarked. “Do you think Donghae will say yes?”

          “Of course he will, he’s crazy about you,” Kyuhyun promised.

          Christmas morning, as all of the boys sat in the living room with Kangin and Leeteuk exchanging gifts, there was a sudden knock at the front door. “Who in the world could that be?” Leeteuk wondered as they all instinctively turned and faced the door.

          “I’ll check it out,” Kangin stated as he stood up and walked over to the front door, opening it up to see the source of the knocking. There, he discovered a police officer. “Hello officer, can I help you?”

          “Yes sir, is this where Kim Heechul lives?” the officer questioned.

          “Yes, why is he in trouble?” Leeteuk asked as he joined his husband and the officer.

          “No, Heechul is not in trouble, I have something for him,” the officer informed.

          “Heechul, sweetie could you come here please?” Leeteuk beckoned into the living room.

          The raven haired teen appeared moments later and saw the policeman. “I swear to God I didn’t do it,” Heechul promised.

          “You’re not in trouble Heechul, this officer says he has something for you,” Kangin replied.

          “Son, I’m here with the news that your mother has passed away in the Seoul Corrections Infirmary. She committed suicide last night in her cell and was rushed to the infirmary where she died from her injuries,” the officer stated. Heechul’s eyes widened. She was dead; his mother was actually dead. “However when we were cleaning her cell to make room for the next inmate, we discovered that she’d written a letter that was addressed to you. Apparently it is her final words to you she wrote minutes before the suicide was carried out. She requested you be given the letter.”

          The officer handed a folded paper to Heechul as the teen hesitantly took it. “Are you sure she’s really dead? This isn’t just some joke?” Heechul wondered.

          “No this is no joke,” the officer promised.

          “Well then it is a Merry Christmas after all,” Heechul stoically responded before slowly turning and beginning climbing the stairs.

          Kangin and Leeteuk thanked the officer and then rejoined the other boys in the living room. “What was that about?” Donghae asked.

          “It’s nothing boys,” Leeteuk responded quietly.

          “But what’d the officer say to Heechul?” Yesung wondered.

          “Yeah what happened?” Kyuhyun added.

          “Boys, did you hear Leeteuk? It’s nothing, it’s Heechul’s business, and if and when he wants to talk about it, he will on his own time,” Kangin firmly stated.

          Hankyung silently stood up and rushed upstairs to Heechul’s room where he found his boyfriend sitting on the edge of his bed, staring at the wall. “Heechul?” Hankyung whispered as he slowly walked over to the raven haired Korean teen, noticing tears glimmering in Heechul’s eyes, threatening to spill at any minute. Hankyung sat down next to Heechul and continued “What happened?”

          Heechul stood up and walked over to the window before taking a shuddered breath and muttering “She’s dead, she’s finally out of my life forever.”

          “Who, your mother?” Hankyung wondered.

          Heechul quickly turned and snapped “She is not my mother, she never was my mother! Mothers are supposed to love their kids, not them out to be and drugged every day! Mothers just don’t do that –”

          Hankyung stood up and hurried over to his boyfriend, holding him close as Heechul broke down and sobbed into his shoulder. The Chinese teen gently shushed his boyfriend and whispered “I know, it’s okay baby, everything is okay, it’s all over now.”

          “It will never be all over,” Heechul mumbled. “She may be dead but the memories of her will always be alive in my head. Those can’t go away, no matter how hard I try and try.” Heechul looked up at his boyfriend and added “And now she’s trying to still ruin my life from beyond the grave by sending me this.”

          He held up the letter the policeman had given him in a tight fist. “What’s this?” Hankyung softly asked.

          “It’s letter that she apparently wrote me before she offed herself,” Heechul informed.

          “Did you read it?” Hankyung wondered.

          “No, I refuse to,” Heechul stated as he crumpled up the letter and threw it into the trashcan. “She does not get to do this to me; she does not get to have the final word on how she feels towards me, she’s a monster and they never change.”

          Hankyung slowly walked up behind Heechul and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s shoulders, lightly pressing a kiss to Heechul’s hair. “You know I’m always here for you baby, and so are your brothers, and your parents,” Hankyung gently reminded.

          “Yeah, Kangin and Leeteuk are my real parents, and always will be,” Heechul agreed before feeling Hankyung kiss him again. “C’mon, let’s go back downstairs with the others.”

          “Alright, I’ll be down in a second, I need to use the restroom,” Hankyung said.

          “Okay,” Heechul replied before heading out of the room and down the stairs. After Hankyung was sure that Heechul was downstairs, Hankyung reached into the trashcan and pulled out the letter that Heechul had crumpled up. Quietly straightening it out, Hankyung began to read the letter that the woman who had tortured his boyfriend wrote. Hankyung only got halfway through before crumpling it back up; he couldn’t even finish it. The Chinese teen then began to rip up the letter into millions of pieces, so that Heechul would never have to read another abusive word from her again. After letting the paper confetti down into the trashcan, Hankyung exited the bedroom and rejoined everyone downstairs.

          Later that evening, the boys were all sleeping in the living room curled up with their respected partner as a Christmas movie quietly emitted from the TV. Leeteuk watched his boys sleep and grinned at them before hearing Kangin say “Baby, can I talk to you in the kitchen?”

          “Sure,” Leeteuk agreed, letting his husband take his hand and lead him into the kitchen. “What is it?”

          “I have a special Christmas present I want to give you that I had to give you privately,” Kangin informed.

          “Oh, well shouldn’t we go upstairs for that?” Leeteuk asked.

          Kangin laughed quietly. “No baby, that present comes later, this is something else,” he responded. Reaching into the bottom of a kitchen drawer, Kangin pulled out a large manila envelope and handed it to Leeteuk.

          “What’s this?” Leeteuk questioned curiously.

          “Before I show you, promise me that we won’t tell the boys til after we bring her home,” Kangin requested.

          “What are you talking about? What’s in there?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “The approved adoption papers for our new little girl,” Kangin stated.

          Leeteuk’s jaw dropped almost instantly as he began shaking. “W-what?” he asked, almost unbelievingly.

          “Yeah, they came in the other day; I thought this would be the perfect gift to give you. I called the adoption center and they said we can pick her up any time after the New Year,” Kangin explained. He put his hands on Leeteuk’s face and wiped away the tears that were falling from his spouse’s eyes. “Merry Christmas Leeteuk, I love you so much, and I know how badly you wanted this.”

          Leeteuk smiled and hugged Kangin tightly as he cried joyfully. “I love you too Kangin; thank you so much for making this possible,” he mumbled.

          “Anything for you angel,” Kangin replied before the couple kissed one another. Taking Leeteuk’s hand, Kangin added “Now why don’t we go upstairs so you can get your other present?” Leeteuk grinned as he followed his husband upstairs to their room, leaving the teenage boys fast asleep in the living room.