Chapter 23

After a Minute

          The week of Thanksgiving approached quicker than Leeteuk had hoped for, and before he knew it, the family was preparing to head over to Leeteuk’s parents’ house. Looking in the mirror in his bedroom, Leeteuk breathed in and out deeply and smoothed the front of his shirt. “You okay?” Kangin asked as he walked in and finished buckling the belt on his pants.

          “I’m really nervous; this is the first time I’ve seen my family in three years,” Leeteuk said.

          “Honey, just relax, everything will be okay. I think you’re overreacting,” Kangin gently replied.

          “Kangin you know my family, you know how judgmental they are. They’re like Eunhyuk’s parents only ten times worse,” Leeteuk reminded.  

          “Leeteuk, you would think that after three years they would be mature a little bit and be a little more accepting,” Kangin responded.

          “Yeah, well you’ve obviously forgotten how they are,” Leeteuk snapped as he crossed his arms.

          Kangin walked up behind Leeteuk and hugged him. “Honey, just calm down and take a breath; it’s getting you all worked up,” Kangin suggested as he kissed Leeteuk’s neck.

          The brunette closed his eyes and took a deep breath in before exhaling slowly. “I don’t know if I’m mentally prepared enough for this,” he admitted as he walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge of it.

          “If it gets too uncomfortable, we will leave. Now your grandparents want to meet their new great grandsons and I think we owe it to them for all the support they gave us,” Kangin stated.

          Leeteuk nodded before standing up. “One thing, if they say one thing to me, you, or the boys that is in any way hurtful, we’re leaving,” Leeteuk demanded.

          “Okay,” Kangin agreed.

          The couple and their boys climbed into one of the cars and began the thirty minute drive to Leeteuk’s parents’ house. “Are you okay Leeteuk?” Sungmin asked, noticing his adoptive parent was strangely quiet today.

          “Yes sweetie I’m fine. Now listen boys, my parents are not are not the nicest people you’ve ever met, so if you don’t want to talk to them, I understand. If they make you uncomfortable, please tell me and we’ll leave,” Leeteuk explained.

          “Are they like my parents?” Eunhyuk questioned.

          “Yes Eunhyuk, they are,” Kangin confirmed.

          “Great,” Eunhyuk muttered as he leaned back against the seat.

          Donghae took his hand, looked at his boyfriend, and whispered “It’ll be okay, I’ll be right here with you.” Eunhyuk smiled at him.

          They pulled up by the curb next to a house, and saw a lot of cars were already parked in the driveway. “Great, looks like everyone’s here,” Leeteuk muttered as he opened the car door.

          “C’mon boys, let’s go in,” Kangin said as Donghae, Eunhyuk, Heechul, Sungmin, and Yesung followed them.

          Leeteuk took Kangin’s hand, opened the door, and led his family inside. Leeteuk’s whole family turned and looked at them as they entered. “This is awkward,” Yesung muttered to Heechul.

          “Yeah,” Heechul agreed. Instinctively, Sungmin saw their faces looking at them, and hid behind Yesung.

          “It’s okay Minnie,” he whispered to his brother.

          Leeteuk saw his mother stand up and cross her arms. “Hi mom, hi dad,” he said, forcing a smile across his lips.

          “Typical, not only are you the last one to show up to a family event, but you’re also late,” Leeteuk’s mother scolded as her eyes scanned her son, while his father remained silent.

          “Sorry,” Leeteuk quietly apologized.

          “Now honey, don’t be mad at your son, he’s right on time,” a voice said as an older woman and man entered the room. Leeteuk’s face lit up as he saw his grandmother and grandfather. He walked over and hugged the elder woman. “Hello sweetheart, it’s good to see you again,” she stated as she wrapped her fragile arms around her grandson.

          “It’s good to see you too,” Leeteuk replied before turning to his grandfather.

          “Oh it’s good to see you again Leeteuk, it’s been years,” his grandfather added.

          “Yes sir it has,” Leeteuk agreed.

          “And if I’m remembering right, this is Kangin,” Leeteuk’s grandfather recalled as he shook the man’s hand.

          “Yes sir that’s right,” Kangin responded with a smile.

          “Still treating my grandson right?” Leeteuk’s grandfather questioned.

          “Yes sir,” Kangin repeated.

          “Good,” the elder man replied with a laugh.

          “So did you two enjoy your honeymoon?” Leeteuk’s grandmother asked.

          “Yes ma’am we did,” Leeteuk said.

          “Good, I hope that we sent enough money for you boys to go somewhere nice,” the elder woman replied as she patted her grandson’s arm.

          “Mother, you and daddy sent them money for their honeymoon?” Leeteuk’s mother questioned, placing her hands on her hips, and shooting a glare at her son.

          “Yes we did, because Lord knows that you didn’t,” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated.

          “We gave everyone instructions not to send them support,” Leeteuk’s father added.

          “Well we must’ve not gotten the memo,” Leeteuk’s grandfather defended. Turning to the boys, he asked “Now Leeteuk, are these the kids you adopted?”

          “Yes sir they are,” Leeteuk confirmed. “This is Donghae, Sungmin, Yesung, and Heechul; and the boy on the other side of Donghae is his boyfriend Eunhyuk.”

          “Oh, come here so I can get a good look at you all,” Leeteuk’s grandmother requested as she held her arms open. After she hugged Donghae and Yesung, she hugged Sungmin and Heechul and said “Leeteuk, these two daughters of yours are so pretty.”

          Heechul and Sungmin looked at one another with wide eyes. “No, no grandmother, they’re boys too,” Leeteuk corrected.

          Leeteuk’s grandmother looked at them again and said “But they’re too pretty to be boys. It must be the hair that threw me off. I’m sorry dears; my old woman eyes aren’t that strong anymore.”

          “And who did you say this young man was?” Leeteuk’s grandfather asked as he approached Eunhyuk.

          “I’m Donghae’s boyfriend,” the blonde informed.

          “Oh, well you two make a really cute couple,” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated, causing Donghae and Eunhyuk to blush.

          “Okay, enough talk, let’s sit and eat,” Leeteuk’s mother suggested as everyone flocked to the dining table.

          While they ate, Leeteuk noticed his mother kept looking at Donghae and Eunhyuk. “Mom is there something you’d like to ask my son?” Leeteuk asked. “Because you keep staring at him.”

          “Gay men adopting a gay son, so typical,” his mother stated as she shook her head.

          “Well you know all our sons chose to be homoual. They’re all in healthy relationships,” Kangin informed.

          “That’s just disgusting,” Leeteuk’s father muttered.

          “You’re disgusting,” Heechul growled under his breath.

          “Heechul,” Leeteuk quietly scolded.

          “So boys, do you enjoy living with Kangin and Leeteuk?” Leeteuk’s grandfather asked, eager to change the subject.

          “Yes sir, they take good care of us,” Sungmin said softly.

          “Good, I’ve been meaning to ask why you chose to come with your boyfriend’s family and not stay home with your family Eunhyuk?” Leeteuk’s grandfather wondered.

          “Well sir, I’ve recently been dismissed from living from my house,” Eunhyuk slowly explained.

          “They kicked you out?” Leeteuk’s grandmother asked.

          “Yes ma’am, they don’t agree with my decision to be with Donghae,” Eunhyuk confirmed.

          “Ah, I see; don’t worry honey, we know all about that,” Leeteuk’s grandmother stated, glaring over at her daughter and son in law. “Leeteuk dealt with the same problem when he was about your age. Luckily you have a good, safe place to go with Kangin and Leeteuk.”

          “Well I learned from the best support system I know,” Leeteuk replied with a grin.

          “We would’ve been supportive if you’d been normal,” Leeteuk’s mother muttered.

          “You mean had I been straight instead of gay, right?” Leeteuk questioned, raising his voice slightly.

          “Leeteuk, calm down,” Kangin whispered as he discreetly touched his spouse’s leg.

          “Yes Leeteuk, I mean if you were straight and not gay. You gave your whole life up to be with a man,” Leeteuk’s mother stated. “And that was a stupid decision.”

          “Hey at least he loves me,” Leeteuk said. “He’s not abandoned me, he takes care of me, and I don’t regret marrying him.”

          “And I don’t regret kicking you out of my life,” Leeteuk’s mother responded.

          A dead silence fell over the dining table. “How could you say that to him?” Kangin questioned as Leeteuk lowered his head.

          “I don’t lie,” the woman replied.

          “Fine, then I won’t lie either; I think you’re a cold, heartless , and I’m happy you aren’t in our lives because you’re one less bit of negative energy that’s around our sons,” Kangin retaliated as he wrapped an arm around the now crying Leeteuk.

          “C’mon sweetie, let’s go in the kitchen,” Leeteuk’s grandmother softly suggested as she took her grandson into the other room.

          “Don’t you dare sit there and insult my wife in my house,” Leeteuk’s father demanded.

          “Then tell your wife to respect me and my husband,” Kangin replied.

          “You took him away from us, so no, we will not respect you or Leeteuk,” the man said.

          “Alright, now that’s enough,” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated as he hit the table with his fist, causing Donghae, Eunhyuk, Sungmin, Yesung, and Heechul to jump. “Stop it, all of you; Leeteuk did not come here to be berated by you all, he came here to show off his accomplishments, and I think adopting four sons with his husband was one of the most honorable things he could ever do. And if you two are too blind and stupid to see that your son would like some support and approval from you, then I think Kangin has every right to disrespect you.”

          Leeteuk’s grandmother walked back into the dining room and gently said “Kangin, Leeteuk would like to see you in the kitchen.”

          “Yes ma’am,” Kangin replied as he stood up and walked into the kitchen. “Honey, are you okay?”

          “No, I’m not okay, Kangin can we please go now? I don’t wanna spend another minute here with them,” Leeteuk requested as he cried into his husband’s shoulder.

          Kangin wrapped his arms tightly around his spouse and shushed him gently. “Okay, let’s go get the boys and leave,” Kangin agreed.

          They reentered the dining room and discreetly whispered to the boys to get up. Leeteuk walked over to his grandparents. “I’m sorry, but we really have to go now,” Leeteuk apologized as he hugged his grandmother and grandfather.

          “It’s okay honey, we understand, we wouldn’t wanna stick around here longer either,” Leeteuk’s grandmother responded as she placed her hands on his face and kissed his forehead. “You take care now sweetheart, and remember that we love you.”

          Leeteuk nodded as tears continued to fall from his eyes. “You keep living the life you have Leeteuk, and don’t let anyone stop you, not even your own moronic parents,” his grandfather added.

          “We really enjoyed getting to meet your boys, it warms my heart that you care so much for others Leeteuk,” his grandmother stated.

          “Thank you,” he responded.

          Kangin shook Leeteuk’s grandfather’s hand, and heard him say “If you defend those boys like you do my grandson, then you’re one hell of a dad Kangin.”

          “Thank you sir, that means a lot,” Kangin thanked.

          “I’ll call you guys later,” Leeteuk said before they walked out.

          As he closed the door behind him, Leeteuk heard them say, “We love you Leeteuk.”

          The boys were silent the whole ride home, not knowing what to say; seeing Leeteuk distraught the way he was broke their hearts, but what could they say? When they were back home, Kangin stated “You boys go on inside; we’re gonna be a second.” Without asking any questions, the five did as they were told. Leeteuk leaned his head against one of his hands and continued to sob. “I’m sorry honey,” Kangin quietly apologized, rubbing the back of Leeteuk’s neck.

          The brunette rubbed his eyes and looked at his husband. “I will never be like my parents to our boys. I will love and support them until the day they die, whether they wanna stay in our lives or not,” Leeteuk promised.

          Kangin reached over and kissed Leeteuk’s lips as he started crying again. Leaning their heads together, Kangin added as he Leeteuk’s face “And I’ll be there right beside you every step of the way.”