Chapter 65

After a Minute

          Eunhyuk nervously sat down on the living room couch. “So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?” he wondered.

          “Why don’t we wait for your father to get here Hyukjae?” Min suggested.

          Eunhyuk’s eyes widened. “What, you told me dad wouldn’t be here,” he reminded.

          “I know sweetie, but if I had told you that your father was going to be here, then you probably wouldn’t have come,” Min explained. “It was easier to tell you that it was just gonna be me here.”

          Eunhyuk sighed. “I don’t like being lied to like that mom,” he said.

          “I’m sorry Hyukjae,” Min apologized.

          Before the two could say anything else, Eunhyuk and Min heard the door open up and in walk Jae. Eunhyuk felt his heart start to pound faster as his father looked up and saw him. “Hello Hyukjae,” the Korean man stated stoically.

          “Hello father,” Eunhyuk muttered.

          “Are you still in a homoual relationship with that boy?” Jae harshly asked.

          “Yes,” Eunhyuk confirmed.

          Jae made a disgusted sigh towards Eunhyuk before questioning “Has your mother told you the reason we asked you here?”

          “No, I was waiting for you to get home dear,” Min quietly replied. “I thought we could tell him together.”

          Jae grunted before saying “Very well.” Jae moved to sit down next to Min on the couch opposite of Eunhyuk.

          After a minute of tension filled silence, Min cleared and spoke up. “Hyukjae, sweetheart we’ve been doing some thinking and discussing a lot in the past year you’ve been gone, and we’ve talked about how you expressed desire to be a dancer,” she started.

          “Even though I still don’t know why when there are much better professions you can choose,” Jae muttered.

          “Honey,” Min gently scolded. She smiled over at Eunhyuk and continued “So we have decided to help you make that dream a reality.”

          “What are you talking about?” Eunhyuk wondered.

          “There is an elite dance school that we will pay for and send you to. They will teach you how to become a hip/hop dancer and maybe even help you get signed to a professional dance company,” Min explained.

          “Oh my god, that’s incredible,” Eunhyuk remarked, covering his mouth with his hands. He absolutely couldn’t believe what he was hearing; his parents were finally supportive of something he loved. Maybe now they’d be supportive of his and Donghae’s relationship.

          “Isn’t it though? You can finally fulfill the dream you have,” Jae said. “There is however one catch though.”

          Just as quick as Eunhyuk’s heart had jumped with excitement, it suddenly stopped and began to drop and sink to the bottom of his stomach. “What’s the catch?” Eunhyuk nervously asked.

          “We will fully support your decision to be a dancer and help you in any way we can, but under the circumstances that you never see Donghae ever again,” Jae stated.

          Now Eunhyuk’s jaw was on the ground, and his father’s statement had almost made his heart stop all together. “What?” he whispered in disbelief.

          “Please really consider this Hyukjae, I want you back in our lives,” Min begged.

          “Why do I have to choose? Why can’t Donghae come with me? He wants to be a dancer like me,” Eunhyuk asked.

          “Because I am not going to pay tens of thousands of dollars just so you two can have in a dorm room,” Jae firmly informed. “You can choose us, your parents, and this amazing opportunity that is probably a once in a lifetime chance for you, or you can choose to cut off all contact with us forever and stay with Donghae.”

          Eunhyuk was frozen for a minute before standing up and storming towards the front door. “Hyukjae sweetie, think about this,” Min called, before hearing the door slam shut.

          The blonde Korean teen gripped his head and screamed when he got back to Kangin and Leeteuk’s and shut himself away in his and Donghae’s room. This was Eunhyuk’s worst nightmare come true; he was being asked to choose between his two loves, dancing and being with Donghae. As Eunhyuk curled up on his and Donghae’s bed, he heard the bedroom door open up. “Eunhyuk, babe are you okay? I heard you yelling from downstairs,” Donghae asked.

          “No, I’m not okay,” Eunhyuk replied, curling up even tighter in the fetal position as tears began to stain his pillow.

          “Baby what happened?” Donghae wondered, hurrying over to the bed, climbing on top, and cuddling next to his boyfriend.

          Eunhyuk turned to face Donghae, burying his head in Donghae’s chest as he felt the brunette Korean wrap his arms around him. “My parents,” Eunhyuk mumbled.

          “What, what happened with them?” Donghae inquired, brushing his fingers through Eunhyuk’s hair.

          “They offered to pay for me to go to an elite dance school and actually get a shot at being a professional dancer,” Eunhyuk slowly explained.

          “That’s amazing, why would that make you upset?” Donghae asked.

          Eunhyuk sat up and turned away from Donghae as he stated “Because in return, I have to agree to never see you again.”

          Donghae’s jaw dropped as Eunhyuk closed his eyes and let tears slip out discreetly. “What?” Donghae asked in as much disbelief as Eunhyuk had been in.

          “That’s their ultimatum; I have to choose between dancing and you,” Eunhyuk cried, lowering his head.

          Donghae immediately wrapped his arms around Eunhyuk’s shoulders, and placing a kiss against the back of his neck before resting his head against Eunhyuk’s back. “What did you decide?” Donghae wondered.

          “I haven’t yet,” Eunhyuk revealed.

          The brunette raised his head. “What do you mean you haven’t decided yet?”

          Eunhyuk turned to his boyfriend and placed his hands on face. “Donghae, you know you mean the world to me, but I may never get the chance to do this again,” Eunhyuk said.

          “Oh, I see,” Donghae muttered averting his eyes from Eunhyuk’s gaze.

          “Baby I won’t leave you forever,” Eunhyuk promised.

          “I don’t care, do whatever makes you happy,” Donghae snapped, pushing Eunhyuk’s hands off his face. Before Donghae left the room, he turned back to Eunhyuk and muttered “If I was in your place, I’d choose you in a heartbeat; wouldn’t even need to have to think about it.” Eunhyuk sighed as Donghae left. He was right; Eunhyuk knew that Donghae would choose him over anything in an instant, and given everything that Donghae had endured because of his relationship with Eunhyuk, the blonde Korean was ashamed that he was even considering something that would separate the two. Donghae had stressed that the only time he’d be okay with them being apart for a long period of time would be when they were doing their mandatory military service, and even still, it would be hard on both of them.

          Later that night, Eunhyuk slowly opened the door to his and Donghae’s bedroom. Donghae had ignored him all evening and Eunhyuk wanted to talk to the brunette more about the situation, but discovered his boyfriend already enveloped in the comforter. Eunhyuk walked over to the bed and lie down under the blanket and snuggled up close to Donghae’s back, lightly wrapping his arms around Donghae’s waist. The minute Donghae felt Eunhyuk’s arms around him, he stood up and grabbed Eunhyuk’s arm, pulling him towards the bedroom door. “Donghae, what are you doing?” Eunhyuk asked, confused at Donghae’s actions.

          Donghae opened the bedroom door and pushed Eunhyuk out into the hallway. “Sleep somewhere else tonight,” Donghae said, trying to hide his broken tone from Eunhyuk. The blonde’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped slightly at Donghae’s request, but before he could debate it, Donghae shut the bedroom door and locked it.

          The brunette pressed his back against the door and slid down before burying his face in his hands and crying quietly. Donghae always had this fear that something would come along one day and try to take Eunhyuk away from him, but now Donghae’s fear was slowly becoming a reality. He loved Eunhyuk with every fiber inside him, and hearing that Eunhyuk possibly loved something more than him just broke Donghae. Just outside the door, Eunhyuk still stood there, listening to his distressed boyfriend cry. He wanted to hold and comfort Donghae, and promise the brunette that he loved him, but he didn’t blame Donghae for being upset with him. “Donghae,” he whispered gently to the door. “I love you Donghae, I hope and pray that you still believe that. I love you so much and I always will.”

          When Donghae didn’t reply and the crying still continued, Eunhyuk pressed his forehead against the door and begged “Please Donghae, please believe that I love you.” Donghae opened his mouth to reply, but instead just closed his eyes, let a few more tears slide down his cheeks, and stood up to climb back into his bed. Sighing, Eunhyuk stood up and walked downstairs to the living room before grabbing a throw blanket and curling up alone on the couch in the darkness.

          The next morning, Eunhyuk groaned as he stretched before sitting up. “Eunhyuk, did you sleep down here last night?” Leeteuk asked as he descended from the staircase.

          “Yeah, Donghae is still pretty pissed off at me,” Eunhyuk confirmed.

          “I noticed some hostility between you two last night,” Leeteuk informed, sitting down next to the blonde Korean on the couch. “What’s going on with you two?”

          “When I went to see my parents yesterday, they said that they had done some thinking and would support my decision to be a dancer and even pay for me to attend the top dance school in the world; they even said they’d accept me back into their lives. The only condition is that I give up Donghae,” Eunhyuk explained. “And when I told Donghae about it, he asked me what my decision was, and I told him I didn’t know. He got really upset and when I tried to talk to him about it, he shut me out.”

          “I see,” Leeteuk said, nodding at Eunhyuk’s recollection.

          “What do I need to do Leeteuk? I may never get a chance to attend this dance school again, but at the same time, I don’t wanna lose Donghae,” Eunhyuk wondered.

          “This is the time when you need to ask yourself what is the number one priority in your life,” Leeteuk replied. “You’ve come to a fork in the road and you have to make a choice; path A gives you have a life as a professional dancer and path B gives you a life with Donghae.”

          “I wanna have both, dancing and Donghae are the most important things to me,” Eunhyuk stated.

          “But now you’ve been presented with an ultimatum. If you could keep only one thing in your life, what would it be, dancing or Donghae?” Leeteuk inquired. “Donghae knows you want to dance, I honestly think he’ll be upset if you choose to go, but he loves you with all his heart, and if you’re happy, then I’m sure he’ll be happy since you’re happy.”

          “Leeteuk, can I ask you something?” Eunhyuk wondered after a few moments of silence.

          “Of course sweetie, anything,” Leeteuk agreed.

          Eunhyuk bit his lower lip and looked down before muttering “Do you think if I chose to go to this dance school, do you think Donghae would still love me? Or would he find someone else to be with?”

          “I don’t know the answer to give you Eunhyuk, you’d have to talk to Donghae about that,” Leeteuk responded. He gently rubbed the blonde’s back before standing up. “I’m gonna go start on breakfast.”

          Later when breakfast was ready, Eunhyuk slowly walked into the kitchen to join everyone else, but stopped and saw how red and tired Donghae’s eyes were, and knew that he’d been up crying, because of him. Eunhyuk took one look at how this situation was affecting his boyfriend, and immediately turned and left the room. He grabbed his jacket off the coat rack by the front door and hurried outside before riding over to his parents’ house. Quickly, Eunhyuk knocked on the door and waited for his parents to open up. He watched as Min opened the front door. “Hyukjae, what are you doing here so early?” she wondered, allowing her son inside.

          “I need to talk to you and dad about yesterday,” Eunhyuk remarked.

          Jae walked into the living room where his wife and son were and asked “Have you changed your mind? Are you going to choose dance school over that boy?”

          Eunhyuk swallowed and felt tears sting at his eyes as he stated “No, I would never choose anything that would take me away from him. Thank you for the opportunity, but I decline.”

          “You’re making a huge mistake Hyukjae,” Jae growled.

          “No, you’re making a huge mistake choosing not to love me regardless of my uality,” Eunhyuk bravely said. “You can try to persuade and bribe me to leave him, but I never will. I plan to one day marry him and have a family with him, and you will never be a part of that as long as you don’t accept us!” Eunhyuk allowed tears to leak down his cheeks before turning to his mother. “I’m sorry mom, I have to go now.” The blonde Korean walked down the driveway and headed back home. Now that he’d stood up to his father, Eunhyuk needed to make everything up to Donghae.

          Rushing inside Kangin and Leeteuk’s house, Eunhyuk ran upstairs to Donghae’s bedroom and was relieved to find the door unlocked. Eunhyuk stepped inside and found Donghae at his dresser changing shirts. “Eunhyuk what –” Donghae started.

          The brunette couldn’t get hardly two words out before Eunhyuk was in front of him with his lips pressed sweetly against Donghae’s. “Donghae, please listen to me,” Eunhyuk requested.

          “Eunhyuk, don’t try to baby me. If you want to go dance then I won’t hold you back,” Donghae responded, pushing past Eunhyuk.

          He was almost to the bedroom door before Eunhyuk grabbed his arms and pushed him down on the bed, climbing on top of the brunette, pinning his wrists down above his head. “Dammit Donghae, you are going to listen to me. Please baby I’m begging you; you need to hear what I have to say,” Eunhyuk cried as his voice began to crack.

          Donghae lie frozen underneath Eunhyuk. Even though the blonde had a strong grasp on Donghae, the brunette could still feel his boyfriend tremble. “Okay, you have my attention,” Donghae whispered.

          Eunhyuk slowly released his grip on Donghae’s wrists, requesting “Please, please don’t run away from me.”

          Tears dripped from Eunhyuk’s eyes and fell onto Donghae’s cheeks, but the brunette remained still as he gazed into his boyfriend’s downhearted irises. “Okay,” Donghae agreed, letting Eunhyuk nudge his face against his own before placing a kiss on Donghae’s lips. Eunhyuk moved to lie down next to Donghae and pulled his boyfriend closer.

          “Donghae, I’m so sorry that I even considered doing something that would separate us indefinitely. It broke my heart to see just how badly this whole fiasco affected you. You know I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you, and I told my parents that they can take that offer and shove it because you are more important to me,” Eunhyuk apologized.

          “You’re giving up your dream, everything you’ve ever wanted, to be with me?” Donghae inquired.

          “Everything I’ll ever want is right here in my arms,” Eunhyuk looking down at Donghae before placing a kiss on top of his head. “I love you Donghae, as long as I have you, I’m happy.”

          “I love you too Eunhyuk,” Donghae responded. “Maybe we can look at dance colleges to go to after high school. After that, then you can go do your military service.”

          Eunhyuk smiled. “Yeah, I like the sound of that,” he agreed before kissing Donghae’s lips again.

          “I’m sorry I made you sleep somewhere else last night,” Donghae apologized.

          “It’s okay, I’m sorry I made you cry. I’ll never make that mistake again,” Eunhyuk promised. He rolled back over on top of Donghae and wrapped his arms around the brunette’s torso as he began kissing at Donghae’s neck. “Can we properly make up now?”

          Donghae grinned and let a laugh escape his throat. “Somehow I knew you were gonna ask that,” Donghae replied. Eunhyuk sat up and slipped his t-shirt off before Donghae suddenly flipped them so that he was on top of Eunhyuk. The blonde smiled and ran his hands up Donghae’s back. Pressing their foreheads together, Donghae whispered “You’re everything to me too Eunhyuk.” The two Korean teens then pressed their lips together as they intertwined themselves in each other’s embrace.