Chapter 56

After a Minute

          “Where’d my mother go?” Donghae questioned when he and Eunhyuk walked back downstairs to the kitchen.

          “She had to be called away suddenly, but she says that she hopes you’re happy, and she left you this,” Leeteuk slowly replied as he slid the picture Noel had left over to Donghae. “It’s one of the only pictures she has of you. Noel thought it was better that you have it instead of her.”

          Donghae picked up the photo and looked at his mother holding him in the hospital for the first time. The brunette smiled before muttering “She looks happy with me, I can understand why it must’ve been hard for her to give me up.” Eunhyuk swallowed roughly, wrapping his arms around Donghae’s torso and hugging him close. “When’s she gonna come back and visit again?”

          “Honey, Noel told us that she can never see you again,” Leeteuk informed.

          “What are you talking about?” Donghae asked. “I just met her for the first time, and now she doesn’t want to see me again?” Kangin, Leeteuk, and Eunhyuk remained silent. “Did I do something to make her upset with me?”

          Eunhyuk’s eyes widened before he kissed Donghae’s face and stated “No Donghae, I’m sure you did nothing wrong. Maybe she just lives a busy life and can’t see you a lot.”

          Donghae was quiet for a minute before looking down at the photo again and whispering “Be honest with me, does she really love me, or does she hate me?”

          Kangin and Leeteuk looked at one another before Leeteuk stood up and placed his hands on Donghae’s face. “She does not hate you sweetheart. Noel just couldn’t take care of you, and she feels like she wasn’t the best influence on you, and she said seeing how happy you were here, she thinks life needs to go on like it always has, without her,” Leeteuk explained. “She loves you, and only wants the best for you.” Leeteuk kissed the top of Donghae’s head and added “Kangin and I want what’s best for you, and we will do everything in our ability to make sure you have a happy life.” Donghae said nothing, but hugged his brunette parent as Leeteuk hugged him back. “We love you honey, and we’ll always love you. Now why don’t you go back upstairs to your room, and let Kangin and I talk to Eunhyuk for a moment.”

          Donghae nodded before turning and heading upstairs to his room. When the three heard the bedroom door shut, Kangin and Leeteuk looked at Eunhyuk. “I’m guessing by how you were acting a few moments ago that you heard what Noel had to say,” Kangin said, as Leeteuk sat back down next to him.

          “Yeah,” Eunhyuk muttered, looking down at his feet.

          “Eunhyuk you know that we only told Donghae what we did so that he won’t get his heart broken even more, right?” Leeteuk asked. “The last thing we want is for Donghae to be heartbroken.”

          The blonde was quiet for a moment before mumbling with tears glistening in his eyes “She called him a burden. She said she hated looking at him.”

          Leeteuk shot up and hugged Eunhyuk close. The second Eunhyuk felt the brunette parent’s embrace, the blonde sobbed into Leeteuk’s shoulder. “I know sweetheart, but you and I both know that it’s not Donghae’s fault, and there’s nothing we can do about it, except not tell him,” Leeteuk gently reminded. “Does this change how you look at Donghae, now that you know the truth?”

          “No, I still love Donghae more than anything in the world, and I can’t hold something against him that he wasn’t responsible for. I don’t wanna tell him what I heard, I don’t wanna hurt him,” Eunhyuk responded before choking out a sob into Leeteuk’s shoulder again.

          “You don’t have to tell him Eunhyuk; it’s probably better that he doesn’t find out, especially not now,” Leeteuk replied. “Why don’t you go back upstairs and be with Donghae; Kangin and I need to talk.”

          “Okay,” Eunhyuk quietly agreed, pulling away from Leeteuk and heading upstairs to Donghae’s room.

          Kangin stood up and placed a hand on Leeteuk’s back. “What do you wanna talk about?” he asked.

          Leeteuk closed his eyes and allowed tears to begin to spill down his cheeks before turning around and wrapping his arms around Kangin’s neck. “Nothing, I just really need you to hold me while I take in what just happened,” Leeteuk requested.

          “Of course baby,” Kangin muttered as he held his trembling husband in his arms and heard him cry quietly. Kangin leaned his face against Leeteuk’s and pressed a reassuring kiss on his cheek.

          Around eight that evening, Sungmin lie in bed alone, on the phone with Kyuhyun. “When are you coming over?” Sungmin asked. “I miss you.”

          “I know Minnie, but I had to join my family for dinner tonight. They don’t get to see me that much anymore, since I’m with you all the time now,” Kyuhyun reminded.

          Sungmin smiled before replying “I still need to meet them you know.”

          “Yeah, how about at the wedding?” Kyuhyun joked.

          Sungmin giggled. “You’re so silly Kyuhyun,” he responded. “But seriously, when are you coming back?”

          “Baby, I’ll be over as soon as I’m done here okay? If you get tired, just go to sleep and when you wake up, I’ll be snuggled up next to you like I am every other night,” Kyuhyun promised.

          “Okay,” Sungmin whispered with a smile across his lips. “I love you Kyuhyun.”

          “I love you too Minnie; I’ll see you in a bit,” Kyuhyun replied before hanging up.

          Turning over onto his side, Sungmin exhaled slowly as he stared at the empty side of the bed next to him. “Please be back soon,” he muttered to Kyuhyun’s pillow before closing his eyes and drifting to sleep. In the middle of the night, around two, Sungmin was awoken from his sleep by his phone ringing. “Kyuhyun, could you answer that please?” he groaned, pulling the blanket over his head. But the phone kept ringing. “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin repeated as he reached over and the lamp. Looking over at the spot where Kyuhyun should be, Sungmin found it was still empty. The blonde grabbed his phone, saw that it was Kyuhyun calling him, and answered it. “Hello?”

          “Is this Lee Sungmin?” a voice asked that was obviously not Kyuhyun’s.

          “Yes, who is this?” Sungmin wondered. “What are you doing with my fiancé’s phone?”

          “Mr. Lee, this is the Seoul Hospital Emergancy Center. Your fiancé Cho Kyuhyun has been admitted, and this was the first number on his recent call list,” the voice informed.

          Sungmin’s heart dropped as he repeated “Wait, admitted? What happened to him?”

          “Your fiancé seems to have been in a car accident,” the voice explained.

          Sungmin began to cry as he wondered “May I come see him?”

          “He’s in ICU right now, so only immediate family can see him, but I think we can make an exception for the fiancé,” the voice stated. “I’ll inform the nurses that you will be coming soon.”

          Sungmin hung up the phone and rushed to get dressed before going into Kangin and Leeteuk’s bedroom. Gently, he shook Leeteuk, as the brunette parent awoke. “Sungmin, sweetie what’s wrong?” he tiredly asked.

          “Kyuhyun’s in the emergancy room,” Sungmin cried. “C’mon, we have to go see him.”

          “Okay, go wait downstairs for me honey, I’ll be down in a second,” Leeteuk promised as he sat up. As soon as Sungmin left the room, Leeteuk shook Kangin. “Baby, I’m taking Sungmin to the emergancy room; Kyuhyun’s been hurt.”

          “Do I need to bring the others?” Kangin asked.

          “Tomorrow morning you can, I’m sure Kyuhyun wants to be alone with Sungmin before being swamped with visitors,” Leeteuk requested before heading downstairs after Sungmin.

          The blonde was silent the whole ride to the hospital, and rushed inside the minute they got there. “Where’s Kyuhyun, where’s my fiancé?” Sungmin questioned the nurse at the desk.

          “Cho Kyuhyun is in ICU right now,” the nurse said.

          “I don’t care, I want to see him. I have to talk to him,” Sungmin replied.

          “That may not be helpful at the moment,” the nurse responded.

          “And why is that?” Leeteuk inquired.

          “Because his body went into shock and it’s caused him to slip into a coma. We don’t know when or if he’ll be able to come out of it,” the nurse stated, watching Sungmin and Leeteuk’s eyes widen and mouths drop open before Sungmin turned and latched onto Leeteuk. He wanted to scream or cry, something, anything, but sadly no sound could escape Sungmin as he closed his eyes and gulped for breath as tears flooded his vision.