Chapter 32

After a Minute

          The day Sungmin had been dreading was about to be here. He sat on Kyuhyun’s bed and watched him pack his final suitcase. “There we go, all done,” Kyuhyun slowly said. He turned to Sungmin and saw the blonde hang his head low.

          Kneeling down in front of him, Kyuhyun placed his hands on Sungmin’s face and kissed his lips gently as Sungmin let tears spill down his face and wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun’s neck. “What time do you have to leave tomorrow?” Sungmin quietly asked.

          “About two, but we have to be at the airport by eleven thirty,” Kyuhyun informed.

          “Will you stay the night with me one more time?” Sungmin requested.

          Kyuhyun nudged his face against his boyfriend, and replied “Yes, I’ll stay with you, just as long as I get to the airport on time tomorrow.”

          “Okay, Kangin and Leeteuk will take you,” Sungmin muttered. “Just please come home with me tonight.” Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun’s shirt collar and pulled him closer as they kissed again.

          “Guys, what’s gonna happen to Sungmin after Kyuhyun leaves?” Heechul asked his brothers as they sat at the kitchen table with their boyfriends.

          “I don’t know; you don’t think he’d revert back to being his old self, do you?” Yesung wondered.

          “What was his old self like?” Ryeowook inquired.

          “Minnie was silent, wouldn’t talk to anyone and pretty much was depressed for about four years,” Donghae informed. “Kyuhyun has really brought Sungmin out of his shell, Minnie smiles the most now when he’s with Kyuhyun; and losing him would be devastating to his heart.”

          “We’ve gotta be a support system for him, especially for the first few weeks,” Heechul stated.

          “Yeah, and we really need to make sure he doesn’t start self-harming, that’s something he may start doing,” Hankyung replied.

          “I’ll make sure he doesn’t,” Yesung promised.

          Sungmin and Kyuhyun came home that afternoon and silently ate dinner with the group as they held hands underneath the table. “Kyuhyun, where are you going to be moving to in America?” Leeteuk asked, trying to break the silence.

          “California,” Kyuhyun muttered. “We’ll be there indefinitely, which is not a fun thing.” He felt Sungmin squeeze his hand softly.

          Leeteuk looked over at Kangin. “Honey we talked about this,” Kangin reminded quietly, knowing what Leeteuk was hinting at.

          “But sweetie I want Kyuhyun to be with Sungmin as long as possible,” Leeteuk said.

          “It’s not our place to take him away from his family,” Kangin replied.

          “We took Eunhyuk in,” Leeteuk responded as he looked over at Donghae and Eunhyuk.

          Kangin froze. “His situation was different though,” he said. “Kyuhyun’s family want him to go with them, we can’t just take him from people who love him.”

          “We can love him just as much or even more,” Leeteuk stated.

          Kangin slammed a fist down on the table, causing his sons to jump. “Dammit Leeteuk, I told you we aren’t discussing this anymore.” Leeteuk felt his heart pound; Kangin had never spoke to him like this before, and it was scaring him. The brunette parent stood up and left the kitchen. Looking at the boys, Kangin apologized to them before standing up and following Leeteuk upstairs. “Honey, I’m sorry,” he muttered as he closed the door to their bedroom.

          Leeteuk lay on their bed and cried into his pillow. Kangin sighed and sat down next to him, rubbing his back gently. “Don’t touch me right now,” Leeteuk requested as he reached back to push Kangin’s hand away. He turned to face his husband. “Why would you yell at me in front of our boys? We had an agreement that they would never see us argue.”

          “I lost my temper, I’m sorry Leeteuk,” Kangin apologized again. “But you constantly want to talk about adopting our sons’ boyfriends and you need to be realistic about the situation.”

          “We let Eunhyuk move in with us because he had a bad support system at home and was thrown out, we let Ryeowook stay with us to protect him from an abusive father, and Hankyung and Kyuhyun stay here because if they didn’t, Heechul and Sungmin would revert to violent or silent behavior,” Leeteuk said. “Our boys are happy, and that’s what’s important to me.”

          “Sweetheart, Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, and Hankyung have supportive families who love them and accept their lifestyle choices,” Kangin stated.

          Leeteuk stood up and crossed his arms as he looked out the window. “I just want to keep them all safe, and here I know they’re safe. Those boys stay here so often that they could practically be our sons,” he whispered.

          Kangin walked up behind him and slowly wrapped his arms around his husband’s waist. “We can’t adopt them all honey,” he quietly reminded.

          Lowering his head, Leeteuk nodded as tears fell from his eyes. Kangin placed a kiss on his neck and held Leeteuk close as the brunette cried. “I just want them to be happy,” he muttered. “I don’t want Sungmin to be sad ever again.”

          “And here they are happy. You’re a great mother to them, don’t ever doubt that. We’re their support system and the boys will make sure that Sungmin stays happy,” Kangin said as he turned Leeteuk’s face to him and kissed his lips.

          That night, Kyuhyun and Sungmin lie in Sungmin’s bed as close to one another as they could be. They looked at one another while Kyuhyun Sungmin’s face with his thumb while the blonde let a tear slide down his cheek. Kyuhyun slid his fingers underneath his boyfriend’s shirt and pulled it up over his head, revealing his torso. Sungmin removed Kyuhyun’s shirt and felt his skin against his. Holding the blonde close to him, the dark haired boy raked his hands gently up Sungmin’s back as his boyfriend kissed his neck lovingly.

          Kyuhyun bent his head and placed a kiss on Sungmin’s stomach, causing the blonde to inhale sharply. He felt his boyfriend move his lips over to his sides before turning Sungmin onto his stomach. Gently, Kyuhyun kissed up and down Sungmin’s spine, which made the blonde’s body shudder. “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin muttered, feeling his lips caress his skin.

          “I love you Minnie, I love you so much,” Kyuhyun whispered as he moved his hands up and down Sungmin’s sides, making his body break out in goose bumps.

          Sungmin turned over and looked up at Kyuhyun. “I love you too Kyuhyun,” he responded before kissing his boyfriend’s lips. “I’d give anything just to keep you here with me.”

          “I know Sungmin,” Kyuhyun replied as Sungmin buried his face in his neck.

          That night while Sungmin slept wrapped in his arms for the final time, Kyuhyun watched him, grazed his fingers over the blonde’s arm, and whispered “Marry me Sungmin.”

          The blonde’s only reply was a gentle breath as he continued to sleep. Kyuhyun watched his eyelids flutter as Sungmin dreamed, smirked, and added “I’ll try another time.”

          The next day, at two, the passengers started boarding the airplane that would take them to California. The group watched as Sungmin walked with Kyuhyun to the gate. He placed his hands on the blonde’s face and kissed his lips gently. Sungmin gripped Kyuhyun’s wrist and held his hand against his face. “I love you,” Kyuhyun whispered as he leaned his head against Sungmin’s.

          “Please, please don’t go,” Sungmin begged. “I’ll do anything, please I love you Kyuhyun.”

          “I’ll come back to you Sungmin, you keep a part of my soul and I’ll keep a part of yours,” Kyuhyun promised. “I’ll call you as soon as I land. I love you Minnie, you’ll always be my princess.”

          Kyuhyun kissed his boyfriend for the final time. “I love you Kyuhyun, so very much. Come back to me,” he requested.

          “I will love, I promise,” Kyuhyun said before slowly walking away from Sungmin, slowly unlacing their hands from each other’s.

          Sungmin watched his boyfriend walk towards the entrance to the plane before running after him. He was stopped when Heechul and Donghae held him back. “No, let me go! Kyuhyun, please don’t leave!” Sungmin yelled. Kyuhyun wanted nothing more than to turn around and make Sungmin stop crying by kissing him, but he couldn’t, he just kept walking.

          “No, Minnie, you have to let him go, he has to leave,” Donghae muttered.

          “I can’t let him go, I love him,” Sungmin cried.

          “I know you do,” Donghae agreed.

          Sungmin stood up and latched himself onto Leeteuk. The brunette wrapped his arms around his son as Sungmin whispered “Make the pain go away, please mommy, make it stop.”

          Leeteuk began to cry as well. He quietly shushed Sungmin and rubbed his back before placing a kiss on top of his head. “He’ll come back Sungmin, he’ll come back to you,” Leeteuk promised.

          After returning home, Sungmin found a small note on top of his pillow. Opening up the paper, the blonde read ‘Dear Sungmin, by the time you read this, I’ll be in California. I want you to know that every minute I’ve spent with you have been the best moments of my life, and I want nothing more than your happiness. There’s a quote I want us to live by until I return. ‘If there ever comes a day when we cannot be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.’ You’re my princess Minnie, and I will love you until the day I die. I’ll be back soon. Stay safe baby. Love, Kyuhyun.’ Sungmin pressed the paper to his chest and curled up in a ball on his bed.

          In the middle of the night, Yesung awoke to hear Sungmin sobbing over in his bed still. “Minnie?” he asked as he climbed out of his bed and got into Sungmin’s. The black haired teen hugged his brother tightly and let him cry into his chest. “It’s okay Sungmin, it’s okay,” Yesung whispered, rubbing Sungmin’s back.