Lost Memories

If I Stay

“Aish, what a boring day.” Seohyun sighed as she sat on the sofa and watched television with Hana munching popcorn beside her. It was her day off work and Seohyun was bored to death without something to do.

She stared at the screen as Entertainment Weekly came on screen.

“Oh? It’s Yoona unnie!” Hana smiled.

Seohyun looked as the MC introduced the two guests: Yoona and….Kyuhyun. She picked up the remote control, switched off the television and got up from the sofa.

“Unnie, wae?!” Hana huffed. “I want to watch it!”

“It’s time to study.” Seohyun replied curtly. “Come on, finish your popcorn and I’ll help you with some homework.”

*

Yonghwa, too, was lazing around at home in his balcony which overlooked the lush green trees.

“Taeyeon!!!!! TAE!” He hollered, and 5 seconds later, Taeyeon came rushing through the back doors. “Yes?!”

“Nothing.” Yonghwa grinned, causing Taeyeon to give him a smack on the head.

 “Ow! I just wanted some company.” He pouted. “I’m bored.”

Taeyeon then sighed and gave in to him, settling into the chair next to him. Her eyes widened in surprise as she noticed a red patch on his upper torso (Yonghwa was lying half- but it was nothing new to Taeyeon). “What happened?”

“Seohyun..or Hyun? She spilled hot milk on me.” Yonghwa laughed.

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at him. “You don’t normally laugh in these situations. Remember that time when I spilled a COLD drink on you? You held a grudge against me for one week!”

Yonghwa shrugged. “She didn’t mean it.”

“I didn’t mean it too!”

He dismissed the matter with a wave of the hand. They sat in silence, listening to the croaking of frogs and the chirping of birds, before Yonghwa spoke.

“Don’t you find her familiar?”

Taeyeon’s heart beat faster. She wanted to say yes, she was, but she would do anything to protect Yonghwa from his past.

“Nope. Why?”

“Nothing. I mean….she just feels familiar to me. Like I’ve met her before.”

Yonghwa remembered when Seohyun was tending to his wounds, he felt like someone had done something similar to him before, but he couldn’t remember who. It was killing him.

Taeyeon sat in silence. Should I? Should I tell him?

Nah. She didn’t want him to remember his past anyway.

“I think you’re just thinking too much.” She told him, putting an end to their conversation.

 

*

 

Yonghwa finally decided to start composing his title track when his phone rang again.

Park Shinhye

He sighed, and took the call. She had been spamming texts and calls ever since he had ignored her previous ones, and it was driving him crazy.

“Op-pa!” Shinhye yelled the moment he picked up.

“What?”

“Come meet me. I’m lonely.”

“Don’t you have Kyuhyun?” He snapped. “The last time I checked, you left me for him.”

“We broke up.” Shinhye snorted. “He left me cos he told me he was interested in Yoona. Like what the heck? I bet he fell for her pretty face and skinny body.”

“So? That’s your business, not mine.”

“I’m sad…..come drink with me? Like old times.”

“I’m busy.” Yonghwa rolled his eyes. “I have to earn money. I’m poor, remember?”

Shinhye winced. “What, you remember the words I said to you like 3 years ago?”

“It was only 2 years, and I’ll make sure to remember those words for the rest of my life.” Yonghwa snapped. “Motivation.”

“But-“ Shinhye started to say, but he already hung up.

He still couldn’t understand what he saw in her 3 years ago.

 

Yonghwa went to his composing room, and smiled. No matter how much he dreaded work, he still loved composing, and will never lose the passion for it.

He glanced around the room especially since he had composed the last album in another studio in Japan and had not been in this room for months. He looked at his piano, his machines. His eyes landed onto a small cabinet in the corner, and onto the last drawer. He walked over and tugged at it. It was still locked.

And the best part was, he didn’t know where the key was.

He had bugged Taeyeon many times, since she was working here from the start. Before he lost his memory. And she had refused to tell him where the key for this particular drawer was, or what was its contents.

Yonghwa ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. Something told him that it was something important. He felt like he HAD to know what was inside. Even his mother was tight lipped when he asked her about it. It was probably a secret that only Taeyeon and his mother knew.

He would find out one day, even if it killed him.

*

Flashback

(Yonghwa is 19)

“Yong?? Are you awake?”

Yonghwa groaned as he slowly opened his eyes, and squinted at the bright lights that were shining down on him. His mother and Taeyeon were standing at his bedside, their faces filled with worry.

“Where am I?” He croaked.

“You’re in the hospital.” His mother said anxiously. “Are you okay?”

Yonghwa nodded. “I’m just a little dizzy.”

Taeyeon handed him a glass of water. “I’m so glad that you woke up, Master Yong! You were in a coma for 3 weeks, I thought you were going to die.”

“What?” Yonghwa groaned. “3 weeks? What happened?”

“The accident! You don’t remember?” Taeyeon asked. Madame Jung shot her a look, but Taeyeon still didn’t catch it.

“But Master Yong….she died.” Taeyeon’s eyes brimmed with tears.

“Who?” Yonghwa asked confusedly, and it was only then that Taeyeon realized her mistake. But it was too late.

“Who died?” He asked again.

Madame Jung laughed nervously. “She’s still in a state of shock, Yong. The thing is…you were in an accident, and the doctor said that the trauma caused you to lose your memory of the accident.”
 

Yonghwa nodded. “But who died?” He pressed again.

“No…no one!” Madame Jung laughed nervously again. Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah, I think I was blabbering some nonsense.”

Taeyeon shot Madame Jung an apologetic look.  They left the room to leave Yonghwa to rest, and Madame Jung told Taeyeon sternly, “Don’t ever mention the accident or her name in front of him again.”


*