If I Don't, Who Will?

If I Stay

Kyuhyun sat in his van and sighed. There it was again. That feeling of guilt that overcame him every time he thought about Seohyun.

Up till today, he still regretted his actions. He could never forget how her eyes flashed in anger, and how her voice was laced with bitterness and disappointment.

“How was I so heartless?” Kyuhyun sighed, leaning against his seat and closing his eyes. “I should have been there for her.”

He didn’t even know how he got into a fling with Hyomin at that time. He didn’t even like her. Maybe he missed being loved and cherished by someone. Ever since Seohyun had gone bankrupt, her affections for him had also dwindled. But deep down in him, he knew that Seohyun still loved him and he should have stuck by her side.

“Aish, why am I thinking about this again?” Kyuhyun muttered. It wasn’t like he could do anything about it now, right? Many times after that incident, when he had come to his senses, he had tried looking for her. But she had moved, and left no traces behind. He had tried so many times, looking for her on social media, on the web. Part of him deciding to become a celebrity was also because he wanted her to know that he was still around. That anytime she wanted to come back to him, she knew where to find him. But none of that mattered now. She clearly didn’t want to acknowledge him, and Kyuhyun knew better than to hurt her more.

But a part of him wished that maybe, she would come back to him. Maybe, if he tried.....

 

*

 

“Ugggggghhhhhhhh.” Seohyun groaned and opened her eyes. “What time is it?”

She glanced at the clock. 12pm. !

“Oh my gosh!” She swept off the covers, swung her legs over to the ground, and-

“Ouuuuccchhhhhhhh.” She squinted her eyes shut as tears came to her eyes and quickly sat down on the bed. “What the -?”

Her ankle was bruised. Not just bruised. It was in a horrible blue-black colour.

“Tae-taeyeon unnie.” She coarsely called out, and tried calling louder when Taeyeon didn’t come out. “UNNIEEEE-“

“Taeyeon’s not in.” The door opened and Yonghwa walked in. “Are you finally up? Are you feeling okay?”

Seohyun stared at Yonghwa. He was dressed in a simple white tank top and in grey sweatpants. His hair wasn’t gelled back like how it normally was. Seohyun couldn’t help but stare- he looked…normal…and even better looking that he usually was.

Yonghwa waved a hand in front of her face. “Hello?” His eyes slowly trailed down to her ankle, and widened. “Hey, we need to get that treated.”

“Stay here, I’ll get the first-aid box.”

“H-huh? I can just do it myself….” Seohyun didn’t even get time to finish her sentence before Yonghwa took off and sprinted downstairs to the kitchen.

 

 

“Okay, let’s see whether it’s an external or internal injury.” Yonghwa said, and grabbed hold of Seohyun’s leg gently, causing her to flinch. “I..uh it’s okay, actually, I can just rest and it should be fine-OUCH!”

Yonghwa snickered. “I don’t think you’ll be fine.” He gently twisted her ankle, causing her to wince it pain. “I think you just sprained your ankle really badly, but it doesn’t look like you have an internal injury.”

“Yeah, so I think I just need some rest and I’ll be fine…” Seohyun mumbled and tried to pull her foot out from Yonghwa’s hands. It wasn’t because she didn’t want him to take care of her. It wasn’t because she didn’t like him.

It was because she was flustered.
 

I mean, does it even make sense for a celebrity to take care of a helper? Seohyun wondered. She knew that Yonghwa was just trying to be nice, but she felt embarrassed and felt like she was unworthy of his kindness. Especially since he had searched for her in the typhoon and carried her home. What if he thinks I’m another one of those fangirls trying to get his attention and I end up getting kicked out-

“Hey,” Yonghwa said, and grabbed her foot back. “I haven’t applied ointment back! I know it hurts but just wait a bit.”

“No, it’s okay.” Seohyun blurted. “I can do it myself. Oppa, you must be very busy, don’t let me hold you back.”

“It’s my off day today.” Yonghwa grinned, and looked her in the eye. “Let me take care of you okay? If I don’t, who will? Taeyeon and Omma are currently not at home.”

At that moment, Seohyun felt butterflies in her stomach, which had never happened with anyone other than Kyuhyun.

 

 

*

 

“Yah, you punk! Why are you taking an off day when you know you have so many things to do? Are you sick or something?” Yonghwa’s manager barked over the phone.

“No, hyung.” Yonghwa sighed. “Something urgent came up.”

“What could be more urgent than your job? If you’re not sick, come down to the company. You need to finish composing the collaboration song with Cho Kyuhyun by the end of this month, did you forget?!”

“I’ll just complete it at home.”

“Then how about Cho Kyuhyun? Is he going over to your house then?”

Yonghwa snorted. “I’ll just complete it myself. That idiot can’t even contribute anything useful.”

 

*

 

“HYUN! I’M BACK!” Taeyeon hollered. “Where are you?”

“Here.” Seohyun called out and limped out from the room to the top of the stairwell. “Can you help me down the stairs? I’m sick of staying in this room.”

 

Seohyun sighed. “Can I do something? I’m so bored.”

“No. You need to rest, or the next thing you’ll be breaking will not only be an ankle.”

Seohyun glared at Taeyeon and tried not to laugh. “Wow, you’re so mean.”

Taeyeon grabbed a magazine from the table and hit Seohyun gently on the head with it. “So why did you run out there in a typhoon, you pabo?”

“I myself don’t know.” Seohyun mumbled, and tried to smile. “I guess I wanted some fresh air.”

Taeyeon looked at Seohyun’s ankle. “Hey, it’s getting better! You woke up in the morning to put ointment yourself?” She asked, noticing the yellowish stains on her ankle.

Seohyun shook her head. “Yonghwa oppa helped me to apply it.”

“Yonghwa….oppa?” Taeyeon raised an eyebrow. “He’s home?”

Seohyun nodded, and pointed to his room upstairs. “I think he’s composing a song. He’s been singing the whole morning.”

 

*

That night, Taeyeon did a lot of thinking. There was definitely something going on with Yonghwa, and she was afraid that the worst would happen.

“Seohyun’s too similar with Sohee unnie…” Taeyeon mumbled. Both of them were gentle and considerate. Both of them were humble. They were similar in so many ways, and Taeyeon was afraid that Yonghwa, too, would fall for Seohyun.

There was nothing wrong with falling for Seohyun. In fact, Taeyeon would love it if Yonghwa ended up dating her. But spending more time with Seohyun might trigger Yonghwa’s memories, and it might cause lots of unnecessary trouble for everyone.

It might even stop Yonghwa from making music.

Taeyeon sniffled. “I miss Sohee unnie so much.”

She didn’t even know whether Sohee was alive or not. After the accident, she had assumed that Sohee was dead, but the hospital where both Yonghwa and Sohee were sent to after the accident said that they didn’t have her dead body when Taeyeon went with Madam Jung to collect it. It also didn’t seem like someone else had collected her body, because Sohee was and had been an orphan since young. It was all a mystery, really.

“Aish, why am I even scaring myself.” She muttered, and tried to sleep.