Him Whom She Had Avoided

If I Stay

It was a really fun night for Seohyun. It had been ages since she lived in a household with more than 2 people and she was really glad that there were nice people in Yonghwa’s house.

After washing her face, she sat down her bed and looked around the room. She might have problems sleeping tonight as it was a pretty big room, and she also wasn’t very used to the king-sized bed.

After trying to sleep and tossing and turning for a couple of hours, she gave up and decided to do a little studying. Seohyun walked over to the desk and turned out the little table lamp. It was a big desk made out of wood, and there were many drawers at the side.

Out of curiosity, she reached down and started tugging at the drawers, from the top to the bottom. There was nothing in them, and she was quite bored.

I’d better start studying, she thought, and took out her books and her pencil case.

 

After around 2 hours, she was getting tired and a little sleepy. Her vision was also starting to blur, and she decided that she would stop studying for the night.

As she packed her stuff neatly, a pen rolled off behind the table. Seohyun groaned. She would have to pull the whole table out from the wall just to get that pen. She walked over to the side of the table and tugged at it.

“Oh?”

There was a green book lodged between the table and the wall. As she tugged the table away from the wall, the green book came loose and dropped onto the floor with a thud.

Seohyun picked up her pen and the book as well. It was dusty, and she read the title as she blew the dust off from the cover.

DIARY

It was someone’s diary! Seohyun reckoned that it belonged to one of the previous helper girls, and she slowly opened the diary. The pages were yellow with age and it smelled a little musky. There was a name on the first page of the diary.

Kim So Hee
 

“Kim So Hee? Who’s that?” Seohyun muttered, but somehow, the name was vaguely familiar to her. The only thing was to find out who that was, and meanwhile, she decided that she would keep this little secret to herself. She pushed the table back to the wall, walked back to her bed, and placed the diary under her pillow.

Seohyun fell asleep with a million thoughts in mind.

 

*

Seohyun woke up to the sunlight shining down on her through the window. For a moment, she forgot where she was in the unfamiliar setting. As she turned her head, she felt something hard and reached under the pillow.

The diary.

She slowly recalled how she found the diary and stumbled upon the name “Kim So Hee”.

Maybe I should ask Taeyeon, she wondered. But how do I ask without giving away the fact that I found a diary?

She knew that she shouldn’t keep the diary but she couldn’t stop her curiosity, could she?

I’ll just keep it to myself for the time being, she thought, and went to change her clothes.

 

Seohyun yawned as she trudged down the stairs. Her eyes widened and she quickly brought her hands up to cover as she noticed Yonghwa sitting on the couch and looking at her with amused eyes.

“Looking good today, Hyun.” He laughed, causing her to wince with embarrassment. Aish. How embarrassing.

“How was your first night here?” He asked.

“It was good.” She smiled. “The room was very spacious.”

“I noticed your lights were still on when I went to get a drink at about 2am.” He remarked. “What were you doing?”

“Oh, I was studying.” She smiled. “I couldn’t fall asleep.”

“I heard from Omma that your grades were very good, and that you even topped the cohort last year.”

“Ha ha… I try to get good grades so that I can get into a good university.” She grinned.

“Maybe you should teach him sometime.” Madame Jung called as she walked down from the stairs, overhearing their conversation. “He could do with some studying- he’s been so engaged in that guitar of is during high school that he couldn’t learn anything properly. Thank God that you were gifted in music, or else I don’t know what I’ll do with you.”

“Sure!” Seohyun smiled. “I must warn you first, though- I’m pretty different when it comes to studying. It might get scary.” She teased.

“Bring it on.” Yonghwa smirked.

 

As Madame Jung watched the two of them bicker cutely back and forth, she couldn’t help but think that they were cute together. Oh well, it was just a mother’s institution, wasn’t it?

“I’m glad for the lost memories,” she whispered. Keeping the secret was the least that she could do as a mother.

 

“Breakfast is ready!” Taeyeon yelled. Suddenly, the door bell rang.

“I’ll go see who it is.” Seohyun offered and rushed up to the intercom. “Who is it?”

 

*

“I’m here, Kyuhyun-shi.”

“Oh yes, Manager Park.” Kyuhyun closed his magazine and smiled. “You’ve kept me waiting, haven’t you?”

“I’m sorry.” Yonghwa’s manager bowed. “Why….did you call me here?”

Manager Park had lots of doubts in his mind on the way here. Why would Kyuhyun call his rival’s manager over for?

“Don’t you think that Yonghwa and I should start on our album, Manager Park-shi?” Kyuhyun said. “It’s been 3 days and we have to hand up a composed track by next week.”

“I understand.” Yonghwa’s manager bowed again. “I’ll talk to him later and get back to you. He’s probably still at home-“

“Not later.” Kyuhyun glared at him. “Bring me to him. Now.”

 

*

 

“Who is it?” Seohyun called through the intercom.

“It’s me, Seohyun-shi.” Yonghwa’s manager called.

“Oh, wait a moment, I’ll let you in.” Seohyun said and unlocked the door.

Manager Park walked past her, calling Yonghwa’s name, leaving Seohyun staring at the person who was standing behind him all this while.

She was staring at him.

Cho Kyuhyun.

Him, whom she had avoided all these years.