If I Don't, Who Will?

If I Stay

 

“Who is it?” Seohyun called through the intercom.

“It’s me, Seohyun-shi.” Yonghwa’s manager called.

“Oh, wait a moment, I’ll let you in.” Seohyun said and unlocked the door.

Manager Park walked past her, calling Yonghwa’s name, leaving Seohyun staring at the person who was standing behind him all this while.

She was staring at him.

Cho Kyuhyun.

Him, whom she had avoided all these years.

 

“Omo,” Kyuhyun looked at her. “You….?”

Seohyun immediately turned away and walked back to the house. Her mind was blank from the shock.

All her efforts had gone to waste, and Seohyun honestly really detested herself at that moment. Why did she trust Kyuhyun in the first place? Why did she let her heart get played with and thrown away? Why did her stupid heart have to beat so fast and rapidly when she thought that she had finally gotten over him? It was so unfair.

“What are you doing here?” Yonghwa appeared at the doorway and blocked Kyuhyun from coming in. “You’re not welcomed here, get out.”

Madame Jung turned pale at the sight of Kyuhyun. "Long time no see, Kyuhyun-shi."

"Long time no see, Yonghwa's Omma." He smirked. Taeyeon just stood there with her eyes opened wide.

“Your manager brought me here,” Kyuhyun smirked. “Wow, your house is exactly the same as the last time when I came here, about 3 years ago.”

Seohyun tried to breathe, but she couldn’t. She felt like all her emotions were choked up within her, and she couldn't bear to look at his face. She quickly turned away from him to hide her face.

Yonghwa glared at his manager. “The thing is…” His manager stuttered, “Kyuhyun said that he wanted to start composing the title track today that’s why I brought him here since you have the composing room….”

“That’s right.” Kyuhyun smiled, and stared at Seohyun, whom had turned her back on him. “But who’s that? I haven’t seen her here before.”

Yonghwa glanced at Seohyun and swatted his pointed finger at her away. “None of your business.”

“She looks like someone I know.” Kyuhyun muttered. “Excuse me, can I see your face? I just want to confirm it.”

“I’m sure she doesn’t know you.” Yonghwa snorted. “Only corrupted people will get involved with you.”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by Yonghwa’s manager. “Okay! Why don’t you two get started on the album now?”

As they walked up the stairs bickering with each other, Seohyun grabbed her shoes and walked out of the door.

“Hyun!”

Seohyun just kept walking straight, out of the gates and towards the main road. Don’t look back, she told herself. Don’t look back.

 

*

Flashback

(Yonghwa is 15 and Kyuhyun is 16)

“Mum, I brought my friend back for dinner!” Yonghwa hollered.

“Long time no see, Yonghwa’s Omma!” Kyuhyun smiled and bowed.

“Omo!” Madame Jung came out of the kitchen. “I haven’t seen you in a long time, Kyuhyun! How are you doing?”

“I’m doing fine,” Kyuhyun smiled.

“Omma, were going up to my room to compose a track for the SM Entertainment auditions.” Yonghwa said. “We’ll come down for dinner later.”

 

Yonghwa and Kyuhyun sat down together in Yonghwa’s room, trying to think of inspiration of a new song. Suddenly, Kyuhyun’s phone gave out a ringtone and Kyuhyun’s face immediately lighted up as he read the message from the recipient.

Yonghwa looked at his Hyung suspiciously. It almost looked like he was in….love.

“Who are you texting?” He suddenly said, causing Kyuhyun to jump up in shock and turn the phone screen away from him.

“Ehhhhh, I saw it!!” Yonghwa said. “That name has a heart beside it! Who is it!”

Kyuhyun sighed. “Seems like I can’t keep this a secret any longer.”

“Don’t you trust me?” Yonghwa pouted. “Tell me!”

“It’s not that Hyung doesn’t want to tell you, but Hyung just doesn’t want it to spread and let other people know.” Kyuhyun’s face suddenly turned into a slightly terrified expression.

“I won’t tell others.” Yonghwa promised. “And why don’t you want to let others know? When I get a girlfriend, I’m going to let the whole world know how proud I am of her.”

“You’re already doing that,” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “You won’t stop bragging to me about how pretty Kim So Hee is, how smart she is, what a talented person she is…”

“We’re not together yet,” Yonghwa said, blushing. “So who is it? Stop changing the subject!”

“Do you know who Seo Kang Joon is?”

“The tycoon? Yeah.” Yonghwa nodded.

“I’m talking to his daughter. She goes to my school.”

“Seo Joo Hyun?!” Yonghwa exclaimed. “She’s your girlfriend? Oh My God! I used to really like her cos man, that girl can really harmonize and sing. I really feel that her vocals match well with mine.”

“You can’t ever tell anyone, okay?” Kyuhyun warned. “It’s over once her family finds out.”

“I promise.”

 

*

 

“Can you hurry with it and think of something,” Yonghwa snapped. “It can’t just be me alone coming up with the song lyrics. Can’t you contribute something?”

“I’m giving my looks for the album.” Kyuhyun said. “Isn’t that enough?”

“Looks, my .” Yonghwa muttered. “You resemble a camel.”

“Look here,” Kyuhyun snapped. “What happened to the Jung Yonghwa whom respected his Hyung, huh? I’m your Hyung and don’t you ever forget that.”

“You were never my Hyung.” Yonghwa said. “And that Jung Yonghwa is gone. Too bad that I don’t remember anything from that time, so don’t expect me to treat you like a Hyung or whatsoever.”

 

“I’m going down to get a drink, so don’t you dare slack and quickly think of the lyrics,” Yonghwa sighed.

He made his way down the stairs to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water. He looked around. Someone seemed to be missing.

“Where’s Hyun?” He asked Taeyeon who was holding her mobile phone and biting her nails nervously.

Outside, the thunder rumbled and heavy rain began to fall. The sky turned dark as a voice on the radio came on,

“Tonight there’ll be a typhoon, so please do not come out of your homes. It is a very strong typhoon and everyone is advised to stay indoors regardless of anything. It may be the worst Korea’s about to get for these 10 years.”

Yonghwa could hear Kyuhyun cursing upstairs, and sighed. “He’ll have to sleep here tonight. And where’s Hyun?”

“She’s…outside.” Taeyeon stuttered.

“Outside?” Yonghwa echoed. “At this timing? Why? When she knows that there’s going to be a huge typhoon coming?”

The news had already warned the citizens of Korea about this typhoon for the past week and it had been hectic. Everyone had been advised to go home before noon today, but it seemed like the typhoon arrived hours earlier than expected.

“I don’t know why she went out for, but she has been acting weird ever since Kyuhyun came in. Maybe she’s a fan of him?” Taeyeon frowned. “But that can’t be, because she once told me that she didn’t know who Kyuhyun was.”

“Can you reach her?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Madame Jung and I have been trying to contact her for the past 10 minutes but we couldn’t reach her.”

“Maybe we should call the police.” Madame Jung suggested.

“I’ll go look for her,” Yonghwa said, and immediately went out to the living room to grab his coat from the couch.

“Wait,” Madame Jung grabbed his arm before Yonghwa could run out of the door. “It’s dangerous! Let’s just call the police and let them do their job.”

“The police won’t come.” Yonghwa said. “It’s too dangerous now. They won’t risk so many lives just because of one person.”

“Then what makes you think that you alone can rescue her?” Madame Jung cried.

“Hyun’s in the storm, Omma.” Yonghwa looked her in the eye. “If I don’t rescue her, who will?”

Madame Jung slowly released her death grip on him, and Yonghwa patted her shoulder. “I’ll be back,” he said and ran off.

“Doesn’t this look like something to you?” Taeyeon commented. “When one of our helper girls got a heart attack previously, he didn’t even visit her at the hospital.”

Madame Jung sighed, and all that she could do was to silently pray for both Yonghwa and Seohyun’s safety. She hoped that this was an opportunity by God, not a misfortune.