I Thought That You Were Better Than This

If I Stay

“You can put me down if you’re tired.” Seohyun laughed as Yonghwa huffed and puffed his way up the hill, to where his house was. The typhoon had calmed down a little, but the winds were still going strong.

“I’m fine! You’re not heavy at all.” Yonghwa said. Seohyun laughed.

“Even if you do this, I still won’t tell you how Kyuhyun hurt me.”

Yonghwa stopped. “Why not?”

“It’s….something I’d rather not talk about. I’ve never told anyone about this before, and I’m not going to.”

“Fine. I’ll be a man and respect your decision, even though I’m dying out of curiosity over here.” He smiled and started walking again.

Seohyun grinned. “Thank you, Yonghwa oppa.”

Yonghwa’s heart skipped a beat. There were butterflies in his stomach because the last time he checked….Seohyun had called him Master Yong.

“I’m more comfortable with you now.” Seohyun grinned. “Are you okay with it?”

Yonghwa didn’t say anything and kept walking with a huge grin plastered onto his face. Okay with it? He was way more than okay with her calling him oppa.

 

*

 

“They’re back!” Taeyeon shrieked, pointing out of the window. Madame Jung shot up from the sofa, leaving a very not amused Kyuhyun alone, staring hard at the door. His line of concentration was so strong that it wouldn’t be surprising if sparks started flying out.

It must be her, Kyuhyun mused, staring hard at the door. That back view. Her hair. The way she moved gently across the living room to the kitchen.

“The fact that she didn’t even want to show me her face just adds to the possibility of her being Seohyun,” he thought.

“Oh my gosh.” Taeyeon gasped. “Master Yong is carrying Hyun on his back!”

Hyun?

“He’s giving her a piggyback.” Madame Jung said thoughtfully. “Wow, that is….”

“So NOT Master Yong.” Taeyeon grinned. “I knew something would happen from the day he asked me whether Hyun was familiar Kim So-“

Madame Jung clasped a hand around Taeyeon’s mouth as Kyuhyun looked up at the mention of her name.

“Keep that mouth shut,” she said, glancing at Kyuhyun. “Yonghwa’s coming back.”

Taeyeon nodded. “I’m sorry, that just slipped out of my mouth.”

Just then, the door rattled. “Hello? Someone?” followed by a series of knocks. Taeyeon rushed to the door and opened it, revealing a very tired Yonghwa…and a pale faced Seohyun. Her eyes were filled with relief, but were immediately filled with horror once again as her eyes trailed down to the massive bloody mess that her ankle was in.

“Wha-what happened-“ Taeyeon didn’t even manage to complete her sentence, and just kept staring at her leg.

“She fell, this pabo.” Yonghwa said. “She will be more careful next time, right, Hyun?”

“Hyun?”

Seohyun stared at Kyuhyun, mouth open, throat dry. She knew he would be here since she saw him here earlier in the morning, but to look him right in the eyes was another feeling altogether. It had been years. Was it 2? Or 3 years? 3 years since they had looked at each other like that.

Kyuhyun looked at her and was almost overfilled with guilt. Why, oh why, did he cheat on her 3 years ago? Of course he didn’t expect her to not break up with him, but it took him only 5 seconds to realize that he had missed her all along. His past relationships with Hyomin, Park Shin Hye, and even his current fling with Yoona did not give him this feeling that he had longed for. This feeling that made him feel like he was complete.

Yonghwa cleared his throat and put Seohyun down. “Bring her to wash up,” he said to Taeyeon, whom nodded and steered her away towards the kitchen. Madame Jung followed, and gave Yonghwa a pat on his shoulder. “You did well.”

Yonghwa nodded, and turned to Kyuhyun. “You can go home now. The typhoon has calmed down a little. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to stay a night at my house.”

“How did you find her?”

“What?”

“Joohyun.”

Yonghwa looked at him, confused. “You mean, Hyun? Or Seohyun?”

“Her real name is Seo Joohyun.” Kyuhyun said, staring straight ahead.

“And how do you know that?” Yonghwa snapped. Kyuhyun looked at him.

 “We know each other.”

“What?”

Kyuhyun sighed, and picked up his coat. “We’ll stop here for today. Let’s continue that song writing another time.”

Yonghwa watched him as he left.

Let’s just say that I was a fan of his and he disappointed me really badly.

Those were the exact words Seohyun had said when Yonghwa had asked how Kyuhyun hurt her. Even though she had refused to tell him any more after that one sentence, he had always assumed that she was a huge fan of his and was maybe disappointed when the dating news of him and Park Shin Hye came out. He, too, was hurt by the news, but it was a lesson well learnt, to never trust girls like Shin Hye again.

But now, seeing that he knows even her full name……it must not be that simple.

 

*

 

Flashback

(Seohyun is 15, Kyuhyun is 17)

As she slowly approached the car from the side, she wondered if she had recognized the wrong car. There were two people in the car and it looked like they were…kissing.

It’s not the right car, she thought, and walked over to the front to pass through, after all, they were so engrossed that they didn’t even notice her…

Seohyun recognized the girl. It was her classmate, Hyomin. She remembered how Hyomin had lately been bragging about how she had a celebrity boyfriend and how it would totally surprise everyone if they knew who her boyfriend was….Seohyun didn’t care much, but she was now curious. Was he THAT handsome as Hyomin claimed he was? She described him as ‘a gift from God’ which Seohyun found absolutely ridiculous, as a Christian.

She squinted to catch a glimpse of his face as he looked up. Her heart went cold as they made eye contact.

Sitting in the car, making out with her classmate was Cho Kyuhyun. Her boyfriend.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened and pushed Hyomin away. Seohyun immediately turned away and ran as he unlocked the door and went after her.

“HYUN! WAIT!”

Seohyun covered her ears and sobbed as she fled down the corridors, pass the classrooms, the office, and out of the school gate, with Kyuhyun hot at her heels.

Why? Seohyun sobbed. Why do bad things keep happening to me one after another? Losing my parents was harsh enough. Why must you take Kyuhyun away from me too?

“Hyun, wait.” Kyuhyun panted, grabbing her wrist. He had caught up to her. “Listen to my explanation, please?”

“Explanation?” She cried, wrenching her wrist away. “What lame explanation do you have? Cheating is cheating. There’s no explanation for that. Do you think that you could keep fooling me?”

“I-“

“Am I that dumb in your eyes?” Seohyun sobbed. “Why must you do this to me? You know how I feel about betraying. Why?!”

“I’m sorry…” Kyuhyun put his hands onto her shoulders. “I was tempted- I mean, Hyomin came up to me and offered me $3000 if I were to date her just for 3 days. I was planning to use that money to help you-“

“There are so many other ways to help me, and you chose that way?” Seohyun shrugged his hands away from her shoulders. “I thought you would be there for me. I thought that you were different from the rest, who left me when my money was gone. I thought you were better than this.”

“I’m sorry.” Kyuhyun sighed. “I promise you, Hyun, that I will never do something like this, ever again. I love you and have always-“

Seohyun shook her head, now sobbing even harder. “I thought…that you were the one.” Her bottom lip trembled. “I was looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you.”

Tears started to form in Kyuhyun’s eyes. “Oh, Hyun, I-“

“But now,” Seohyun continued, “all I want is for you to get lost. I never want to see you again.”

And with that, Seohyun ran down the street, her mind blank except for that image of Kyuhyun and Hyomin in the car.