It Still Hurt

If I Stay

Seohyun put down the newspapers and frowned at the headline. Hana looked up from the breakfast table.

“What’s wrong, Unnie?’

Seohyun shook her head and gave Hana a slight smile. “It’s nothing, Hana. Quickly finish your breakfast and I’ll send you to school.”

Hana glanced at the headline on the newspaper.

Jobs are harder to find in Korea

“Are you afraid that you can’t get a job?”

“Uh….”

For a split second, Seohyun considered pouring out all the pent-up feelings and burdens that she had to Hana. For a moment, she wished that she could share her difficulties and problems with Hana, and face them together with her. However, after a moment, she realized that she couldn’t bear to. Hana was too young, and all she wished was for Hana to study hard and get into a good school.

“No.” She smiled, and got up from the breakfast table. “Come on, let’s get you to school. We’re going to be late.”

*

Yonghwa opened the door to his house and slipped off his shoes. He was tired; he had spent the entire night drinking with his manager, several producers and celebrities and was dead beat.

“Master Yong, you’re back.” The housekeeper, Taeyeon, smiled and took his shoes. “I saw the awards – congratulations.”

“Thanks.” He gave her a slight smile, and looked around. “Still haven’t found a helper yet?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “We couldn’t find anyone other than fangirls who were more than willing to take on the job. We’ll find one as soon as possible.”

Yonghwa nodded and walked towards the stairs. “I’ll trust that you’ll find a sensible one, yeah? Not like the previous ones.”

*

Seohyun stood outside hesitantly and stared at the sign looming above her head.

“Job Agency”

“Do I really have the time to do this?” She whispered. “A job?”

It wasn’t like she didn’t have anything to do, she had. Other than studying, she still had chores to do, and Hana to take care of. But if she didn’t get a job quickly, who will pay the debts that her father owed? Who will pay the monthly rent and bill? Her monthly allowance from her aunt was barely enough to cover food and travel expenses, and she didn’t want to further trouble her aunt and uncle for more money. They too, were helping her get rid of her father’s debts. She didn’t want to be an additional burden.

Whatever, she thought as she pushed opened the doors. I have to get a job sooner or later anyway.

The bells on the door jingled and a petite woman with her hair tied in pigtails looked up.

“Here to find a job?”

Seohyun nodded, and stared at her pigtails. The woman looked older than her, and the pigtails unexpectedly looked cute on her. Seohyun couldn’t stand the idea of pigtails on her though- she shuddered at the thought.

“Alright, please take a seat.”

She gave Seohyun a glance over as Seohyun gingerly sat down on the seat. “Nice to meet you. I’m Lee Soon-kyu, but you can call me Sunny.” She extended her hand with a warm smile.

Seohyun immediately felt more comfortable. “Seohyun,” she smiled as they shook hands.

“Alright, Miss Seohyun. What type of jobs do you prefer? I think it’ll be better for you to tell me the kind of job you’re looking for, that way the selection process will be much faster.” She looked expectantly at Seohyun.

Seohyun panicked. She hadn’t taken into consideration on what type of job she’d like on the way here. She thought that there were limited choices and was prepared to take any job available. But now that she had to pick one….

“Babysitting.” Seohyun blurted out.

Sunny immediately turned to her computer and started typing quickly on the keyboard.

“”Babysitting…..” she mumbled, and frowned. “I’m so sorry, but it seems like there isn’t any babysitting job on the market. Any other choices that you would like?”

Seohyun thought for a moment. “I’m fine with anything along that line. I’m good at taking care of babies or children in general – I brought my sister up myself ever since she was a little baby. I’m also good at doing household chores, and I can cook a little.”

Seohyun paused as she took time to ponder over her choice of words. “Maybe something between a babysitter and helper?”

“But nothing too tedious, please,” she smiled. “I’m still a student, and I need to study for my finals and take care of my sister.”

Sunny wrinkled her brows and snapped her fingers. “I think I’ve found the perfect job for you!”

“What is it?” She leaned forward eagerly.

“But first, I need to ask you some questions.” Sunny’s face fell. “Just treat it as normal interview questions.”

“Firstly – what type of music do you like?”

Seohyun raised her eyebrows. Music? She found the question a little weird, but nevertheless, she still answered it truthfully. “Classical music.”

“Right…..” Sunny glanced at her. “How old are you, again?”

“20.”

 “And you like classical music? Cool.” Sunny nodded her head. “I thought you would say something like pop, or rock.”

Seohyun shook her head. “Nah, I’m not interested in that stuff.”

“Really?” Sunny’s jaw dropped. Seohyun nodded. “I find pop music loud and noisy, I prefer soothing music.”

“You have very…..unique tastes for a 20 year old.” She glanced at the screen again. “The second question – do you know any pop singers?”

A name immediately came to her mind. A name which hurt her every single time she thought of it.

Cho Kyuhyun.

But she definitely wasn’t going to say that name. She promised herself that she would never acknowledge his existence ever again.

“No.”

“I see.” Sunny pursed her lips. “Such a pity though – you’re missing out on the best things in life.” She shook her head. “I like Yonghwa, and it’s so unfair how-“She stopped her sentence midway and glanced at her cautiously. “Do you know him?”

“Who?”

“Yonghwa.”

Yonghwa? Where did she hear the name before?

Oh, right. Hana.

“No, but I’ve heard of him.” She thought carefully. “As I said, I have no interest in pop. Or pop singers.”

Sunny clapped her hands together. “I think I’ve found the perfect job for you.” She grinned. “You’re really lucky – there are millions of people willing to take on this job but only a few fit the criteria.”

Seohyun cocked her head to the side, wondering what she was talking about, but nevertheless she was glad that she had found a job.

 

 

 

----

A/N: Thank you for subscribing. :) Next update on the 10th.