Familiarity

If I Stay

Seohyun gaped at the size of the massive room, and whatever Taeyeon was saying seemed to go into one ear and out of the other ear.

“You’re saying…this….this is MY room?” Seohyun sputtered, as her eyes took in the king-sized bed and the intricately carved shelves. Her gaze travelled over to the balcony, which overlooked the lush green trees and had an amazing view of nature.

“Yes.” Taeyeon looked over at her, and laughed silently at her shocked expression. “Please don’t look at me like that, I see this expression every single time a new person comes and it’s annoying.”

“But…I’m not even going to be a full time helper! I don’t even need a room!” Seohyun stammered. “Please tell Master Yong for me, I don’t want a beautiful room like that to be wasted.”

“Oh please, this house has plenty of rooms like that, one room won’t do much of a difference.” Taeyeon murmured, somehow amazed by the girl’s polite behaviour. The teen girls her age that had come to work previously would be gushing all over the place, but this girl seemed sensible. Maybe she had really made the right choice.

“Besides, Master Yong insists that every person working for him had to have a personal room. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know.” Taeyeon shrugged. “Anyway, I’ll give you time to settle down. Come over to the living room after 15 minutes and I’ll show you the ropes, okay?” She gave her a warm smile and went out.

Seohyun just stood there and gaped at the kindness of Master Yong. “Thank you Lord, for giving me such a nice employer.” She shut her eyes silently and made a quick prayer, before heading downstairs. She wanted to start work right away.

*

Yonghwa plopped down onto the sofa, and closed his eyes.

He just came back from an advertorial shoot and now, he had to record his pre-record shoot for a music show.

He had barely closed his eyes for a minute when his manager burst into his room, waving his phone excitedly in the air.

“Oh my god, Yong, this is just too shocking for words-“

“What?” Yonghwa asked irritatedly. “I’m tired, can we talk later?”

“Your title track topped all the music charts.” His manager almost screamed. “You’re number 1!”

Yonghwa grunted. A year ago, he would have been elated, but now this was just a normal thing to him.

“Why are you so excited? It’s not like this is the first time happening.” His manager could be so darn dramatic sometimes.

 “Yeah, but you might want to hear the next piece of news.” His manager leaned forward with a glint in his eye. “This is the first time you beat Kyuhyun. He released his new track last night but you held the number one place since then!.”

This piece of information immediately woke him up. “What?!”

His manager nodded. “I know, right? Things are finaaaally going well for you.”

“In fact,” His manager continued, “I just saw him outside. If looks could kill, I’d probably be dead.”

A smile crept onto Yonghwa’s face and he couldn’t help but smile. The tables have begun turning in his battle against Kyuhyun.

*

“Okay, so that’s all you need to do.”

Seohyun sat there, stunned. “That’s all?” she asked incredulously. “I only need to change the bed sheets of every room and dust the windows? Make lunch and dinner with you, and….” Her voice trailed off. “What’s the 3rd one again?”

“Hang up the laundry.” Taeyeon wagged a finger at her. “What do you mean by that’s all, when you can’t even remember the 3 simple tasks I gave you? By the way, there are so many rooms in this house that it’ll probably take the whole afternoon for you to get through them.”

Seohyun grinned sheepishly. Taeyeon grabbed the remote control and leaned back onto the sofa. “We don’t have anything much to do now, so let’s just watch tv for a while.”

The television switched on and Taeyeon squealed. “Omo, it’s Entertainment Weekly! There must be something about Master Yong, since he just released his album last night.”

“Now, for the next piece of news.” Seohyun stared at the anchorwoman in the television as she smiled.

“Top-star Cho Kyuhyun has been confirmed to be starring alongside actress Im Yoona for a new drama.”

WHAT?

*

Seohyun stopped outside and double-checked the signboard. Yes, this was the right place.

A scrawny-looking man standing at the entrance stopped her before she could go in. “Name, please.”

“Seo Joohyun.”

The man checked his clipboard and shook his head. “Nope. Better luck next time, kiddo.”

Seohyun clucked her tongue. “Seohyun?”

The man grew irritated as he checked again. “No.”

Ah. Seohyun knew now. “Hyun.” She said determinedly.

The man huffed as his eyes scanned his clipboard. “Miss, I think you should stop now. If you’re meant to be here then your name should-“

“Oh.” He swallowed, and stepped aside. “Please, miss.”

Seohyun laughed silently as she went in. Trust her to book a whole restaurant just for the two of them.

She immediately caught sight of a figure sitting at the far corner of the restaurant with a black cap pulled down in front of her face. The person looked up in alarm as she marched over and pulled the cap away. “Yah, what do you think you’re-“

“Puh-lease, nobody can spot us in here. Isn’t that the whole purpose of why you booked a whole freaking restaurant?” Seohyun guffawed. “And come on, registering my name as Hyun? I had to try 3 times before they let me in.”

Seohyun laughed as the person jumped up from her seat and grabbed her into a bear-hug.

“Long time no see, Hyun. I really missed you.”

“I missed you too, Yoona.”

*

Yonghwa trudged into his room with a gloomy face. This was sooo tiring for him.

“Hi, Master Yong.” Taeyeon smiled from the living room and Yonghwa walked over to join her.

Taeyeon had been Yonghwa’s housekeeper for around 3 years, and they had more than an employer-employee relationship. Yonghwa trusted her and sometimes they would sit down and talk together, and you could say they were something like close friends. Taeyeon was the one whom had coached him in his singing and has contributed a significant amount to Yonghwa’s success and who he is today.

“Oh God, when are you going to stop calling me Master Yong?” He frowned. “I hate it.” Taeyeon was a polite girl and she always made it a point to address people respectfully.

“You hate it when I gave you a nickname years ago.” Taeyeon pointed out. “So I’ll just use the good old classical “Master”.”

“How about Yonghwa oppa?” Yonghwa grinned.

“Disgusting.” Taeyeon gagged. “You? My Oppa? How is that possible when I’m the one taking care of you.”

He glared at her, and quickly changed the topic. “So, have you found a helper yet? I don’t want you doing the work all by yourself. It’s tiring you out.”

“Yeah, I have!” Taeyeon said enthusiastically. “She’s one of a kind. She’s definitely not a fangirl; she told me she didn’t even know who you were.”

“What?” Yonghwa pouted. “Seems like I’m not famous enough.”

“She doesn’t seem like she was interested in pop singers. She didn’t even know who Cho Kyuhyun was.” Taeyeon assured.

“That’s better.” He laughed. “What’s her name? How old is she?”

“She’s 20. Her name is Seo Joohyun.”

Yonghwa frowned. He had heard that name somewhere before. “Seo Joohyun….?” He mumbled. Why did it seem so familiar to him?