I Was Once Like That

If I Stay

Seohyun stood outside the gate, and swallowed. She stared at the big gates that seemed to be looming over her.

Clutching the piece of paper in one hand, she brought her trembling hand up to press the door bell. In a split second, a low chime could be heard coming from the big house inside.

“Who is it?” A voice coming out from the intercom at the side of the gate barked, startling her.

“Ye..yea? I’m Seo Joohyun, and I’m here to start my new job as the part time help…helper.” She stared into the camera and tried to smile. She wasn’t used to being the one standing in front of the intercom- she was always the one standing behind the intercom. Until her family became bankrupt, that is.

The gates started to open. Seohyun stared at the house inside, and hesitantly walked in.

Keep calm, Seohyun. She told herself. You once used to live in a big house like this.

*

Before she could even ring the doorbell, the door opened and a woman in her mid-twenties greeted her.

“Are you the new helper?” She smiled. At least she looks friendly.

“Yes.” Seohyun smiled back. She was beginning to regain her confidence, now that she met someone in this big place whom welcomed her with sincerity.

“Ah, your name is Seo Joohyun, right? Nice to meet you, I’m Kim Taeyeon.” She grinned and they shook hands with each other.

“You can call me Seohyun, or Hyun.” Seohyun smiled. She liked Taeyeon already, and it had been barely 5 minutes since they first met. There was something about Taeyeon that led her to like her instantly. Taeyeon’s smile was so bright that her mood was lifted.

“Really? Can I call you Hyun?” Taeyeon’s eyes widened. “I like it when I call others by nicknames. Well then, you can call me Tae too. I hope that we’ll click well together, since we’ll be working together a lot.”

“Thanks, Tae.” Seohyun laughed. Taeyeon had a bubbly personality, and to her, the most important thing in a job was the people working alongside her. Maybe this won’t be as bad as she thought.

“Come in, and I’ll show you around!” She smiled. “Oh, but Master Yong isn’t back yet. You’ll have to wait.” She winked.

Seohyun blinked. “Master Yong?”

“Yea.” Taeyeon stared at her. “You do know who you’re working for, right?”

“Oh, you mean the pop singer Jung Yonghwa?” Seohyun started to remember her conversation with Sunny.

“Yea. He’s so hot, right? “Taeyeon gushed. “But Master Yong hates fangirls as helpers. That’s why the previous girls were sacked. Apparently, they weren’t good in covering up their fangirl identity.” She gave Seohyun a glance. ” Seeing that you got the job, you’re not a fangirl, right?”

“Of course.  I didn’t even know who he was until like, 2 hours ago.”

“Are you serious?” Taeyeon gasped. “Oh my god, you’re literally missing out on the best thing in life.”

Seohyun cringed inside. That was what Sunny had said too. Was he that good? Seohyun wondered. To the extent that everyone knew him, and regarded him as “one of the best things in life”?

Seohyun shrugged.

 “Ah, I think I know why. You’re in another fandom, right? I used to love Shinhwa. Whose fandom are you in?”

“Uh….”

“Cho Kyuhyun?” Taeyeon suggested. “The only other guy whom can compare to Master Yong.”

Seohyun froze. She felt it again. That heart-wrenching pain that seemed to haunt her every time someone mentioned his name.

“Do you know him?” Taeyeon looked at Seohyun expectantly. “You may not know Master Yong, but you’ve surely heard of Cho Kyuhyun, right? He’s like the Michael Jackson of Korea. Everyone knows him.”

Seohyun could still remember the last words he had told her.

“Please pretend not to know me, Seohyun. You’ll only get in my way.”

And that’s what she did from then.

“No.” Seohyun looked at a rather-shocked Taeyeon. “Can we go in now? It’s rather cold out here.”

*

Flashback:

(Seohyun is 15 and Kyuhyun is 17)

Seohyun sat angrily with her hands folded in the car.

“Come on, Hyun.” Her mother sighed from the front of the car. “You know that you have to go to school some day.”

“Why can’t I continue homeschooling like I always did?” Seohyun huffed. “I don’t want to go to school. I’m a hundred percent sure that everyone in there act like es.”

“Seo Joohyun, watch your language.” Seohyun glared out the window. “It’s the most prestigious school in Korea! You should be glad that you can get into the school anytime you want. Other parents have been trying to book a place for their children in this high school since they were born, and they still haven’t succeeded.”

“I didn’t ask to be rich.” Seohyun muttered under her breath.

“That’s enough.” Her mother turned back. “You will go to school, regardless whether you like it or not. You have to be smart and manage the company one day.”

Seohyun rolled her eyes. She hated the fact that she had to take over her parents’ company one day. She didn’t ask to be born in this family. Other girls envied her; she could get anything she wanted by a snap of her fingers. She was dressed in designer brands from head to toe. She lived in a big house, ate good food, and had a pretty face. But there was one thing that she didn’t have and couldn’t get – freedom.

Her life was planned out from the moment she was born, and she didn’t like it. She wanted to be like other girls, to go out shopping in cheap places, and eat street food. Sadly, she didn’t have that privilege. Whenever she went out, pictures would be taken, people would ask her for photos and stuff like that. She was getting tired of her life.

Maybe something good could happen in school. Hey, you never know.

-

As soon as she stepped into the school, gasps could be heard coming from all around.

“Isn’t that Seo Joohyun? The daughter of the tycoon Seo Kang Joon?”

“She’s so pretty I wish I was her.”

“She looks like a total brat.”

“Why do all rich girls have this type of snobby face?”

Seohyun kept her head high as she walked down to the corridor, looking for the main office. She had been expecting this kind of reaction, and honestly, she was used to it. She had mastered the art of keeping her head high during times like this.

Just as she was walking pass the lockers, she noticed a few boys beating up someone. Great, just great.

She had originally planned to walk pass and pretend that she didn’t see anything, as she knew better than to get involved. However, as she slowly approached them, she could tell that the boy getting beaten was seriously injured, and he looked like he was close to passing out. There was blood all over his face, and he had a deep gnash on his right hand. Seohyun winced, and she decided that she better do something before he passed out.

“Hey.” Seohyun glared at them. “You shouldn’t be doing this.”

The bunch of boys stopped beating him up for a moment, and looked at her. Then the biggest boy spoke up.

“Little girl, are you sure you want to get involved? We beat up girls too, you know.” He sniggered.

The guy on the floor lifted his head up and looked at her. Seohyun looked right back at him. There was some trace of pleading in his eyes. Crap. Her heart was starting to soften.

Seohyun cleared , and looked at them. “Do you not know who I am?”

“Who are you?” The boy whom she assumed was the leader snorted.

Seohyun watched smugly as one of the guys went wide-eyed and quickly whispered something to him. He looked at her, and she watched as some of his confidence disappeared from his face.

“Seo Joohyun?”

She nodded. “Do you still want to beat him up now?”

They looked uncertainly at each other.

“Just saying, but I have the ability to make you and your families go bankrupt within a second.” She smiled.

And that did the job. They hurriedly fled down the hall, and she could hear them cursing.

“Thank you,” The boy tried to get up from the floor and groaned. “I appreciate your help, but you didn’t have to do that.”

At least he knew how to appreciate.

*

 A/N:

exciting parts coming soon!! next update on the 17th :)