Wounds That Weren't Able To Heal

If I Stay

A gush of wind smacked Yonghwa right in the face as soon as he opened the door. The typhoon was too strong and it seemed like it was getting nearer and nearer. He squinted up to the sky but there was nothing to see at all, just a huge patch of dark, gloomy clouds and massive wind. It didn’t help with the fact that it was now winter, causing the sky to look extremely dark and uninviting. There was only one word to describe the current situation: Dangerous.

Yonghwa gulped as he stared ahead. He didn’t exactly have a very hero like character, and it was so NOT like him to run out and save someone from this crazy typhoon.

I’m scared, he realized. I don’t want to die.

However terrified he was, he still wanted to save Seohyun. And suddenly, he found it weird that he was rushing out, risking his life to save a…..helper girl.

She’s a helper girl! A voice shouted from the back of his head. Is it worth it to risk your life to save this helper girl?

But he still went ahead anyway. “Wait for me, Hyun. I’m coming.” Yonghwa whispered determinedly as he braved the wind and walked ahead to the local bookstore, which was the first place he thought of.

 

*

Kyuhyun took out his phone to call his manager to bring him home, but there was no signal.

“DAMN IT!” He shouted in frustration and breathed deeply. Spending a night at his rival’s house? Never.

He looked around the room and for a moment, and just for a moment, he reminisced of the times that he had spent together with Yonghwa right in this room, composing songs and jamming on their guitars together. For a few seconds, he missed the fun times they had shared together and wished that things were the same as it had been then. He wished that things didn’t turn out this way.

And there it was again. The feeling of guilt he felt everyday for a year ever since the accident happened.

“I’m sorry, Yonghwa,” Kyuhyun sighed. “At least you’re still alive and well now.”

 

*

“Hyun!”

There was no sign of life anywhere. The streets were empty and things were staring to fly everywhere. Maybe she’s hiding under some shelter or something, Yonghwa thought as he ducked a flying plastic bottle, almost hitting his head.

Still, he kept walking towards the bookstore, as if something was pulling him towards it. It was some institution of some sort, and no matter how ridiculous it sounded, Yonghwa felt that Seohyun would definitely be there.

As the bookstore came into sight, he saw a figure crouched on the ground in front of the bookstore, out in the open.

“HYUN!”

Seohyun looked up as Yonghwa rushed towards her. He almost cried tears of relief as he knelt down and took her face in his hands. “Why did you come out when you know that there’s a typhoon coming? Do you want to kill yourself?”

Seohyun tried to speak but winced when Yonghwa’s right knee accidentally brushed against her ankle. He looked down in alarm as he stared at the massive bloody mess that her ankle was in. “What happened?!”

“I fell while trying to avoid the typhoon.” She laughed. “I was running, and I guess I kind of tripped….”

Yonghwa sighed as he gently poked her ankle with his index finger. “It must hurt a lot…. Come, get on my back. I’ll carry you back.”

“No, no,” Seohyun quickly said. “I’m fine! I can walk!” She then got up and tried to stand and Yonghwa reluctantly let go of her, but once she put weight on her ankle, she immediately fell…..into Yonghwa’s arms as he caught her.

“Pabo,” He whispered, looking into her eyes. “I told you that I’ll carry you, right?”

And then she felt it. Her heart was beating. Rapidly. felt dry and her breath was taken away as she looked right back into his eyes. Had she…fallen for him?

“Get on my back.” He gently supported her. “Come on.”

Seohyun put her arms around his neck and leaned against his back as he heaved her up. She never realized this but….he was so strong. He lifted her up as if she weighed like a feather.

“Aren’t I….heavy?” Seohyun murmured. “It’s quite a long walk back, and with the typhoon and all…..”

“How are you heavy?” Yonghwa guffawed. “You’re so skinny that the wind could knock you down if you were standing upright.”

Seohyun laughed as Yonghwa started walking back, trying to brave the wind, but he couldn’t be happier at the moment. He didn’t even know this himself, but as long as Seohyun was safe and happy, everything was okay.

“How about we go to the nearest petrol station for some shelter first?” Yonghwa suggested. “That’s the only place that would be open in this weather.”

He carried her to the petrol station that was about 5 minutes away, and they sat down in the convenience store that was situated in the station.

“Coffee?”

Seohyun shook her head. “Just water, please. Too much coffee is bad for your body. You shouldn’t drink coffee too, I just saw you drink coffee in the morning today.”

Yonghwa laughed as he picked up two bottles of water. “Are you a health specialist or something? You eat so healthily!”

“I want to be healthy and live for a long time.” Seohyun said, staring into space. “That way, I can stay by Hana’s side.”

Yonghwa remained silent as he walked towards the cashier and paid for their drinks. He smiled as he handed her the bottle of water and sat down beside her. “I’m sure you will.”

They sat in silence for a little while, just drinking their water and listening to the nasty howl of the wind. Breaking the silence, Yonghwa asked, “So…..why did you run out just now?”

Seohyun just shrugged her shoulders. “I just wanted to get some fresh air.”

“In this typhoon?” Yonghwa narrowed his eyes and laughed. “I thought you said you wanted to get some fresh air!”

Seohyun giggled, and Yonghwa tried to ask her again. “So….why did you?”

“I….”

“Oh, is it because of Kyuhyun?” Yonghwa shot her a look. “Are you a fan? Of that bastard?”

She quickly shook her head. “Of course not! I just....we know each other personally and haven’t been in contact for years. Our impressions of each other weren’t very good, then and now, maybe.”

“I see….no wonder he acted weirdly when he saw you.”

“He did?” Seohyun’s eyes widened. “Oh no!”

“He didn’t recognise you I guess, since he asked me who you were, but I guess he found your back view familiar. Remember when he wanted to take a look at your face?”

 “That’s a relief, then.” Seohyun nodded. “That he didn’t recognize me.”

“What exactly happened between the both of you?” Yonghwa asked. “You seem to hate him more than I do, and I really hate him lots.”

“He…..left wounds that weren’t able to heal.”

 

 

A/N:

Sorry for the lack of updates! Have been really busy, but it'll get better after this week is over. Stay tuned!~