Chapter 7

Still You

----------------------

The following days made Sehun think the week in China would never end. Despite not talking to Sehun, Tao had started to indirectly insult the maknae in every way possible, giving him nasty remarks about basically everything the boy let out of his mouth. Other members also sensed the fires between the two and avoided discussing with either of them as much as possible. Sehun thought he was seriously going to die before getting back home if there hadn’t been a little tingle of light in middle of the darkness.

But…Sehun had started seriously worrying about Donghae’s feelings: the man hadn’t approached him in any way after he had left the EXO dorm four days back. Had he changed his mind? Was he no longer interested in Sehun? Was it because Sehun behaved like a stupid baby? Sehun couldn’t find a rational explanation for his own idiotic behaviour last week. He could’ve just said the words that night, in the car, and everything would be perfect right now. Was it too late now? All the questions in the boy’s head were overruled by one little phone call he received that night.

“H-hi.” Sehun answered the phone with shaking hands, rushing to stand on the balcony so Jongin and Chanyeol couldn’t overhear his conversation. “Hi, Sehun!” Donghae’s happy voice greeted him, Sehun leaning against the fence and smirking. He suddenly realised there were hundreds of fans standing in the rain under his balcony; now screaming like madmen from the sight of their oppa wearing only his pyjamas. Awkwardly, Sehun waved at the fans and bit his lip not to look too enthusiastic.

Donghae started with sincere apologies that he hadn’t contacted Sehun in many days, he had been too busy. Then he started worrying about the boy’s health, after which he told him how much he was looking forward to see him again on SM Town concert later that week. He ended the phone call with sweet good nights.

Sehun slowly slid the phone off his ear. Okay…all the worry had been completely useless. Donghae had definitely not changed his mind.

Never ever had Sehun been as nervous about going to the concert stadium as on that particular day. Not even at their debut days did the boy remember sweating so much and his heart beating so fast. It wasn’t the concert he was anxious about; it was what was going to happen before and after it.

For certain reasons, Sehun volunteered to be the first one to be make-upped and dressed. The last few times he had met his favourite hyung were not showing the best side of him (wearing bedtime clothes or being in a terrible fever). Sehun knew he could be breathtakingly handsome in right circumstances. “I hate this hair, though” Sehun mumbled by himself while the hairdresser lady was hassling around him. For the first time in a long, long time had they dyed his hair brunette again. “I think it suits you well.”  The lady said politely, Sehun biting his lip dissatisfiedly.

“Looking great” Jongin commented when sitting next to Sehun, stretching his arms before his hairdresser arrived and started busying around him. “You too.” Sehun said nastily; Jongin was still wearing baggy trousers and a hoodie. Jongin smirked, but looked at himself from the mirror with satisfied smile. Sehun rolled his eyes and grabbed his phone. No missed calls.

“Err…Sehun…you and Tao? What is going on between you two?” Jongin suddenly asked, Sehun escaping his eyes by staring at the phone screen. “Nothing.” Sehun gulped quickly, trying to look indifferent. “Why would?” “I don’t know. Tao has just been somehow irritated lately.” “Isn’t he always somehow irritated?” Sehun laughed nervously, Jongin shrugging his shoulders. Sehun shrug his shoulders, forcing an indifferent expression on his face. He was just about to change the topic when Jongin interrupted him with an even more troublesome question. “And…you and…Donghae?” Jongin almost whispered. Sehun started shaking his head in panic. Jongin nodded expressionlessly and fixed his eyes in his own reflection. Sehun hated lying but…”On some day, Jongin, on someday, I’ll tell you everything” Sehun promised himself with a wistful glance towards his childhood friend.

The dramatic reunion finally happened on stage. It was the end of the concert: Sehun had seen Donghae briefly from far while the hyungs were performing, but didn’t really get to change any words with him. He also knew that the man must’ve been watching EXO’s performance (Sehun swore he had felt the familiar pair of protective eyes on him while dancing). But finally, when the whole SM Town was happily waving at the screaming fans and smiling so that their faces ached Sehun felt a familiar pair of arms wrapping around his tiny waist.

“Hello!!” A familiar voice shouted into his hair, making it impossible for the younger idol to pretend to be that cool calm stage-Sehun. Sehun sneakily placed his hands on the hands that were linked together on his stomach, and kept on slightly jumping around trying to look calm. Finally he dared to turn around.

Donghae looked so great that night in his classy suit that it was really hard for Sehun to cover his amazement. Donghae looked as amused: he leaned out to touch the younger boy’s hair with adoration in his eyes. He said something but Sehun had no idea what because of all the music and screaming and crazy people around them.

“Whaat?” Sehun shouted, leaning closer to Donghae. Donghae laughed, grabbing the boy’s neck tenderly to pull him down so that he could reach his ear. “I just said your new hair is cute!” Donghae shouted into the taller boy’s ear, the boy hurriedly shaking his head. “No, it is terrible! I look like a dog!” He shouted, Donghae not hearing his words because he was so enthusiastically jumping up and down. Then he pulled Sehun down again, just to say:” You’re cute!” and run away into the endless crowd of fakely-excited idols.

Sehun tried not to look too wistfully after the disappearing small figure and continued waving at the audience instead. He could not avoid from seeing the stare Tao was giving him from the corner of his eye. He knew.

Super Junior was accommodating in the same hotel with EXO: things were made so easy for the two excited lovers. As soon as back in their room, Sehun realised Donghae had Kakaotalked him. “Which room ;)” Sehun chuckled by himself, making Chanyeol and Jongin exchange curious glances. “245;)” Sehun typed quickly and ran out the room.

Donghae was just walking the stairs down when Sehun hopped in the corridor. “H-hi! I came here so that we wouldn’t be bothering my mates…they were changing clothes or something.” Sehun laughed awkwardly, wiping his hair nervously while waiting for Donghae to walk to him.

Donghae stopped only until he was so close to the taller boy that he might’ve kissed him as well. “Hah, you hiding something in there?” Donghae said with a wink, grabbing Sehun’s arm. “I saw a nice lounge-thingy there on the way, let’s go in there.”

The lounge-thingy appeared to be a weird room taking two floors of height but only one little room of width. There was a huge crystal lamp hanging from the high ceiling, and it looked creepily like it would drop any minute causing huge damage. Overall, the creepy room contained only two white sofas and a table with a variety of magazines. But it suited the two men’s purposes just fine.

“Let’s take this sofa. At least the lamp would hurt us less over here in case it drops” Donghae laughed, still pulling Sehun from his wrist. Sehun sat down next to the smaller guy, gulping nervously. This was serious business right now, but for his luck Donghae’s presence didn’t make him as awkward as he had feared.

“Agh, I can’t even look at you, you look so damn adorable with your new hair! It really suits you, you look kind of softer now?” Donghae explained quickly, staring at Sehun’s face shamelessly. Sehun cleared his throat, asking with a y smile: “By soft, do you mean I’m getting fat?” Donghae chuckled, the boy’s hand cheerily. “No way! I meant kind of…warmer…” He stared the boy for another while. “…older!” He giggled adorably.

Sehun had never seen Donghae so cheery. Sehun knew that Donghae was not as calm as his stage image deceived…but now the man really kept on giggling like a little girl. The reason for this came sooner than expected. “Oh god, sorry. We kind of started already…party, I mean...” Donghae tried to explain calmly but not really succeeding to hide his overflowing smile. Sehun nodded: now when looking at him it did really look like he was a bit drunk.

“And speaking of that – I was going to ask you to join our little modest after party? Or did you have something?” “No, I…” “Oh yeah, I forgot your baby group likes to have early sleeps…” “Donghae.” “I’m sorry, Sehun, I…oh god, please tell me if I’m annoying.” Donghae facepalmed himself. “It’s always hard to control myself around you and now it’s even harder.”

Sehun smiled: how could he be annoyed by someone who talks sweet like that? Donghae finally showed his face again, smiling a bit embarrassedly at Sehun. “Don’t worry. I’m not always like this.” Sehun raised his brows wittily, Donghae giggling and hitting the sofa. “I’m not!” They both laughed happily, staring at each other wordlessly for a while.

“But yeah, you’re welcome to our party. It’s in my room. You can be my special guest. V.I.P.” Donghae said in a lower tune, his fingers approaching Sehun’s…just when someone entered the lounge.

It was Joonmyun. “Sehun, we were looking for you.” The EXO leader stepped in, glancing around the room suspiciously. He walked to stand in front of the sofa that was invaded by the two idols who tried to look as innocent as possible.

“We guys thought about having a happy night for once, we could go eating out fancily together for the first time in ages. Jongdae actually already reserved a table for us from a nice restaurant over there, and I was just sent to inform everyone about this. I guess you’re in?” Joonmyun explained, glaring Donghae judgingly from the corner of his eye. Donghae had hard time keeping his mouth shut and poker face on.

Choices, choices… Sehun didn’t want to refuse neither of the invitations he had just got within the last two minutes. If he ditched his own group…there would be a war. But if he ditched Donghae…no, a big no! What to do, what to do, what to do…

“Err…the plan sounds really cool but I already promised to Dongh…Super Junior…to…after party…” Sehun tried to mumble the words out but found himself muttering some nonsense. “So I maybe just go there, if it’s okay? The food hasn’t been paid yet, hasn’t it?” Sehun beeped out, feeling Joonmyun’s inner rage falling on him. He barely got enough confidence to look towards his leader. “So you would skip our dinner?” “”Err…yes? Maybe some other time?” “Okay…I’ll tell Jongdae to drop you out the list.” Joonmyun nodded expressionlessly, leaving the room without further words.

Was this a good decision? Sehun thought, nervously smiling at drunk Donghae who had now grabbed his hand and was placing a sweet kiss on it.

----------