Chapter 2

Still You

-------

Everyone in the house agreed to have an early sleep, as often after their concerts. Yifan, before he left the group just a month backwards, used to always make fun of the “wild rock life” the band was having. In Western countries, the famous people were known for their wild after-parties but well, EXO wasn’t too much into that. They all preferred a good night sleep, especially when another concert was awaiting them on the next day.

Joonmyun, Sehun’s only roommate, had just wished the younger boy good night and switched off the lights when Sehun felt his phone vibrating under his pillow. Luckily Joonmyun didn’t hear it: he always worried about the secret rays mobile phones might be sending and forced Sehun to always turn off his phone during nights, even though Sehun rarely followed their dorm Mama’s rule.

The sleepy boy hid his head under the blanket and opened his phone, just so that his heart could skip a beat. Donghae was calling him!

Sehun jumped out of his bed like he’d had a heart attack. “Omfg” he murmured hastily and ran out the room as sneakily as possible, locking himself in the bathroom before pressing the green button. What was going on?

“H-hi!” Sehun said, lowering his voice in middle of the word when realising everyone in the house was trying to sleep and could probably hear every word of his.

“Hi Sehun! Oh, did I wake you up?” Donghae’s voice echoed from the phone, the man’s sincere worry making the boy smirk like an idiot.

“No! No, why would I be sleeping at a time like this?” Sehun tried to laugh self-confidently as he realised it wasn’t even midnight yet. The boy could hear the man smile through the phone. He cringed and hit the innocent wall to release his nervousness. “Haha. Yeah, I was just wondering would you like to come and eat ramen tonight? Like on last weekend?” Donghae asked happily.

Before even thinking about the practical side Sehun answered, trying to control the little over-excited fanboy inside him: “Sure!” “Great. I knew you would like some ramen. You’re at your dorm, right? What if I come to pick you up after, let’s say, half an hour?” “Yes, of course, yeah!” Sehun kept on fanboying, forgetting all about the low tone. “Haha. See you then, Sehun!” “See you…hyung!” Sehun closed the phone and gave out a voiceless scream.

As soon as the call ended Sehun realised he was screwed. How was he supposed to sneak out of the dorm? Just a couple of days ago the members had made a deal of not showing up on Seoul too often, just to avoid any scandals. “Let’s just do what our manager tells us to do! If no one decides to go solo around, everything will be just fine.” Joonmyun kept on reminding them every night before they went to sleep.

Sehun started to hit the innocent toilet seat in frustration. What to do? Saying no to Donghae was not an option. Just the memory of their last “ramen together” made Sehun’s blood flow: even though they were having a “quartet date” with Kyuhyun hyung and Minho hyung, Sehun recalled that night as the moment he realised he had officially fell in love with his hyung. Sehun had to go. But how?

When Sehun soon returned back to his room, Joonmyun had switched on the lights and sat on his bed with an angry expression on his face. “Sehun. Who was that?” He asked, eyes barely open and shock blonde hair already messed up with only few minutes of sleeping.

“Err…Daeun.” Sehun lied before he even realised it. “Alright. Since when have you guys called each other in middle of night, Sehun? Please don’t tell me you’re dating her.” “No, no, it’s nothing like that. We’re just friends, I’ve explained this to you million times before!” Sehun explained, awkwardly standing in the doorway. What to do, what to do…

Joonmyun glanced Sehun one last time before giving a tired smile and switching off the lights. “Good night, Sehunnie!” Sehun had no other option except to sneak into his own bed and crawl under the sheets.

The only solution Sehun could come up with was to wait until Joonmyun falls asleep, and then, as quietly as ever possible, sneak out of the house. Was it likely to succeed? No. Was it worth trying? Yes.

While lying on his bed, eyes staring at the black ceiling, Sehun smiled by himself. He never thought that he would find himself lying about a girl when he is actually meeting a guy. “Oh, Sehun, how did it come to this…” He smiled by himself nervously.

Donghae wasn’t the first occasion he had found himself crushing on a male person: ever since his teenage years Sehun had become knowingly aware that his ideal type of a girl wasn’t necessarily a girl. If the…well, let’s call “experimenting our identities-sessions”, with the fellow member Tao were not counted, Sehun had never actually approached a guy before.

But only the mere thought of Lee Donghae made Sehun smile like a teenage girl. Sehun had secretly admired Donghae ever since his trainee days. The first couple of years went without Sehun having enough confidence to ever open a conversation with the man. After their debut, Sehun found the man paying him more attention and actually voluntarily chatting with him time after time. The situation had really changed during the past few months: Donghae continuously bumped into Sehun no matter was it on stage or backstage, SM Building or not. The older idol had even taken Sehun out with his friends a couple of times, like tonight. The older man seemed to be fond of Sehun, but…that doesn’t necessarily mean what Sehun wanted it to mean, doesn’t it? Who knows, Sehun bit his lip in a temporary existential crisis.

Joonmyun started to keep sleeping noises in such a way Sehun thought it would be safe to leave now. With avoiding the one point on the floor that always kept such a horrible crack Sehun tiptoed out of the room and was starting to walk towards the outdoor when he realised a horrible little detail.

He was wearing his night clothes. A white loose top and baggy jogging pants. He was wearing no make-up.

“Aish…” Sehun whispered by himself and changed his direction into the bathroom. No forgotten clothes to be found in there. “Aish, usually Yixing forgets his shirts everywhere”, Sehun cursed by himself. There was no way he could sneak into his own wardrobe without waking Joonmyun up.

Sehun faced his mirror fearfully and realised that Donghae would not show up with him if he looked like this. “Aish…Aish…” Sehun whispered in frustration, trying to listen if there were any sounds of a car waiting outside. No. He still had some time.

After stressful five minutes Sehun succeeded in finding a pair of baggy jeans lying on the floor. The white top would do, he decided after quickly glancing himself from the mirror. There was nothing he was afraid of showing in his neck and arms.

A touch of hair gel, hair done. Some powder, face done. Sehun was ready to meet the man of his dreams. “I’m really not” Sehun cringed but rushed out anyways.

Luckily Sehun was aware that their body guard was standing on the backdoor at this time of night and sneaked out of the main door. Just after he had closed the door and was partying inside his mind on his successful plan the lights of an approaching car hit him.

Sehun smiled, whispered “Fighting!” by himself and hopped in the mysterious black car.

Donghae was sitting on the backseat, looking exceptionally hot in his tight black shirt and light blue jeans.

“Good evening” Sehun said awkwardly while hopping in and closing the door behind him, doubtfully glancing the dark house one more time before the car drove away.

“It’s just us?” Sehun asked Donghae with a shy glance. He had expected there to be other hyungs again: Kyuhyun or Minho or Eunhyuk or Sungmin, just someone. Donghae smiled warmly with a nod before giving directions to the driver. “Yes. Just the two of us.”

The maknae felt like he got struck by a lightning because of those words. This started suddenly feeling like an actual date. Why would someone like Donghae want to go eat out with someone like Sehun?

Sehun glanced Donghae curiously again: the man was again staring at him shamelessly, smiling in his own warm way. When looking at Donghae’s perfect make-up, hair and carefully selected outfit Sehun felt like he was some dirty beggar.

“Err…I…I got kind of crisis with my clothing. I couldn’t find anything and I had already took off my make-up and you know I would’ve…” Sehun started explaining in embarrassment, touching his neck nervously. Somehow his mouth felt so dry that it was difficult to form the words. Korean had never been harder to pronounce.

“Aww…you look just fine.” Donghae smiled, scanning his eyes back and forth on the younger boy’s body. Sehun tried not to blush. “Except…I guess those jeans are not yours?” Donghae finally added with a witty smile.

Sehun glanced his legs and realised the jeans he had picked in the dark were like 20cm too short for him. He gulped and laughed awkwardly, too embarrassed to face the older man’s eyes. “Err…no. I guess they’re Baekhyun’s. Or Minseok’s. I don’t know, I…” “Sehun, please don’t tell me you were already sleeping?” Donghae smiled, looking at Sehun in a way people look at cute puppies. Sehun sighed and surrendered.

“Yes. Yes we were. The whole damn group was sleeping. I sneaked out by myself and…” “You should’ve told me! Now I feel so bad dragging you out like this!” Sehun shook his head, trying to avoid the blush slowly filling his whole damn face. “It’s okay, I…I was bored anyways.”

Donghae smirked and placed his hand on Sehun’s shoulder, Sehun’s whole body stiffening. “Sehun-ah…please tell me how can one be bored while sleeping.” Sehun smirked. “Well…”

When the driver soon stopped the car in front of a nice peaceful ramen restaurant on a peaceful side street, Sehun’s world literally fell apart.

“Err…hyung, I...” The poor boy had stood up and realised that the jeans he was wearing…they were broken. And not just a little: the whole damn crotch area was ripped apart.

“Sehun, you alright?” Donghae had walked to Sehun’s side of the car and after realising what the boy was staring at burst into a massive laughter.

“Oh my god, what should I do? I didn’t notice this in the dark that…” Sehun sighed out in panic, trying to pull his shirt down to cover himself unsuccessfully. Donghae tried to control his laughter but failed quite badly. “Sorry, I shouldn’t be laughing but you…Sehun…you’re so cute…” Donghae breathed heavily, finally calming down his laughter and walking next to the boy.

Sehun facepalmed himself. “So embarrassing…I can’t do anything like this! Could you drive me back to my dorm, I could try to sneak something else to wear or…” Donghae shook his head with a warm smile and kneeled down in front of Sehun to check the situation in his jeans.

Sehun felt like he wanted to disappear or stop existing or something…this was seriously the worst thing that could happen on a date with your crush. People walking past them were staring at them confusedly, Sehun covering his face a little so to avoid any unnecessary recognitions by fans.

“Hey, I know what we could do! Let’s go to my house instead, it’s not far! I guess I have something you could borrow, even though I’m a bit tiny!” Donghae explained with a comforting smile while standing up, patting the taller boy’s neck. Sehun nodded shyly, hopping back in the car and dying inside from embarrassment.

Sehun had never thought what kind of apartment Donghae was living in: he knew Super Junior hyungs did not live together in a dorm like EXO but he would’ve never imagined Donghae lived in middle of a luxury like this. The house – in which Donghae lived alone – had two floors and a huge garden.

The younger boy didn’t even attempt to hide his amazement, but ran around the house like an over-excited little kid. “Donghae hyung, you never told you have a pool!” Donghae smiled proudly. “Yeah, I guess I haven’t. You’re always welcome to test it if you want!” “I want!” Sehun yelled excitedly before rushing into the next room.

Sehun came out Donghae’s bathroom, wearing the plain black jeans the older man had given him. “They suit you just fine. Eunhyuk forgot them in here which was good for you because my ridiculously small jeans would’ve just get ripped on you as well” Donghae teased the younger boy when he entered the bedroom he had been sitting in while waiting for him to change. Sehun tried not to blush but didn’t succeed. He basically blushed just at the thought of being in his crush’s house. “Hah.” Sehun said quietly. “They were already ripped apart, okay? It had nothing to do with me.” He added, Donghae answering with a teasing wink.

There was a huge mirror next to Donghae’s bed (which was huge in the very meaning of the word, how come he is sleeping in it alone, Sehun thought) from which Sehun hurried to check his looks.

“This shirt is terrible” Sehun murmured by himself, realising the night top actually did look like it was a night top. The boy couldn’t avoid seeing the stare Donghae was giving him through the mirror. He felt like the man’s eyes were drilling a hole in his back.

“Err…could I perhaps borrow a shirt as well?” Sehun said shyly, turning around just to freak out from the sight of Donghae suddenly standing right behind him.

“As you wish” Donghae laughed, moving Sehun from his way by tenderly grabbing the boy from his waist and switching their places. “Any preferences? Colour? Style? I hope these fit you.” Sehun sat on his hyung’s bed, sneakily testing the soft fabric of the sheets.

“Anything. I guess they’ll all fit me because you have such good muscles and I’m so flat.” Sehun sighed, not even realising what he let out of his mouth.

After a few seconds of silence Donghae chuckled and turned around to glance Sehun. “I have what?”

Sehun gulped. Why did you say that, damn brat, why? “Well, good muscles. You’re muscular.” Sehun said embarrassedly, avoiding the stare Donghae was giving him through the mirror. Not like I’ve been watching or anything…

“Thanks” Donghae laughed. “You’re just avoiding from admitting the fact that you’re skinnier than me” he added with a playful wink. Sehun shook his head, scared that the man actually took it as an insult. “No, I mean you’re very muscular and it’s a good thing! I would like to have some muscles but…”

Donghae threw Sehun with a red shirt playfully. “Try this on, you skinny .”

------