Chapter 16a

Still You

A/N: This chapter still belongs to the main story, so it's not either of the alternative endings... :') don't worry <3 

 

 

 

---------------------

Weeks passed by, and the couple’s interactions dropped down to the ultimate minimum. Every morning Sehun woke up to Donghae’s messages, every night he fell asleep in middle of Donghae’s love confessions. Day by day, Sehun felt more and more determined to do something he feared from the bottom of his heart.

 

The clock had already passed the midnight and Sehun was safely sleeping in his bed. EXO was preparing for their upcoming comeback and the practises they were having were tiring down all the eleven boys in such a way they walked straight to bed whenever they got a chance. However, something woke Sehun up from his confused dreams that night.

 

Even though Sehun had been sleeping, the sleep he had these days was reckless, not even the slightest bit relaxing. He had trouble falling asleep, finding himself continuously rolling in his sheets for hours and hours. He had cried himself into sleep so many times he thought he wasn’t even physically able to do it anymore: instead he just lied there anxiously staring at the ceiling. Today Sehun had been so exceptionally tired that even his aching heart couldn’t prevent his body from restoring.

 

Sehun felt how his phone (he slept his phone in his hand, a bad habit caused by the fact he usually fell asleep chatting with his boyfriend) started vibrating. He opened the screen immediately, his heart beating like the last day. Usually Donghae never bothered him during night time - he never wanted to wake the boy up.

 

The message was, as expected, from Donghae. No one else really contacted him these days. Sehun bit his lip while reading what the man had Kakaotalked him. I need you, said the first message sent an hour earlier. Sehun must’ve somehow missed it before falling asleep. The newest message was longer: Just to have you in my arms, I would need nothing else. I miss seeing your precious face. Sehun’s face remained completely expressionless while reading it: this was a very typical cheesy goodnight message from Donghae. Sehun tried to harden his heart and turn the phone off, when a new message suddenly dropped in.

 

With a painful sigh, Sehun opened the message just to get extremely worried about his boyfriend. I needou so bad, I’m cgoming for you nowmy Hunnie. All the typos…in what condition the man exactly was?

 

Sehun tiptoed away from his bed, holding his phone with two hands. He opened the bathroom door and locked himself in, curling into a small ball in the bathtub before calling Donghae.

 

“Sehun…is it really…y-you?” The man answered immediately, loud noises of traffic echoing from the background. Sehun whispered quietly: “Yes.” The situation reminded him of the first time he had escaped their dorm in order to go on a date with Donghae. Almost an entire year had passed from that moment: the innocent, love-sick Sehun back then had got no idea in what pain this love would lead him to.

 

“S-Sehun…I’m really sorry…” Donghae started, Sehun immediately recognising the man was drunk as hell. “Where are you?” “I’m walking…I don’t know.” “Weren’t you supposed to be with her?”

 

Donghae had started “dating” a girl a few weeks back. The suitable volunteer to play the role of the idol’s brand new girlfriend had been found surprisingly close: Eunhyuk’s infamous cousin Sunhi (who had already been dumbed and freaked out by Sehun before) had agreed to put on a fake relationship. Even though most of the people in SM Entertainment were aware of the true nature of their dates, pictures of the couple eating out together in the finest restaurants had become a hot topic even within the building. Sehun was the only one who didn’t want to take even a glance at those pictures.

 

“She’s gone. Like ages ago. Like I would never been with her in the first place, Sehun, she’s just gone…” “So you’re alone?” Sehun moaned out pathetically. Donghae coughed, Sehun hearing unclear noises of conversation from the phone. “I guess.” Donghae murmured, suddenly leaning off from the phone and talking with someone else instead.

 

“Donghae? You still there?” Sehun asked as quietly as possible, suddenly remembering his hyungs could probably overhear their conversation if he didn’t keep it quiet. But was the man seriously walking alone on the streets at night, being that drunk?

 

“Donghae!?” Sehun asked in a louder tone, squeezing the shower curtain compulsively inside his fingers while waiting for his love to confirm he was still alive.

 

“They’re fans…” Donghae suddenly laughed in the phone. “Donghae, listen to me. Where are you?” “In front of SM Building.”

 

Without a second thought, Sehun left their dorm. EXO had been temporarily living inside the SM Building for some weeks and it was widely known. It was not something responsible to do for Donghae to appear in front of the building, especially in middle of a night. Making sure he had the keys, Sehun closed the door and did something he had especially been told not to ever never ever do but he just couldn’t leave his Donghae to handle the situation on his own like that.

 

“I’m waiting for you in the second floor. Donghae, please be quiet.” Sehun whispered in the phone while walking the empty, dark corridors of the nocturnal building. He turned off the phone, his heart beating aggressively. Every door he opened, he became more and more scared of some kind of an alert turning on. Luckily he happened to know that that particular corridor didn’t have any of those and was therefore a safe place to check in which condition Donghae exactly was right now.

 

When entering the corridor, Sehun was about to turn the lights on but quickly realised it would be wiser to just hang out in the dark. The boy happened to walk past a mirror on the wall, an emergency exit sign giving green light on his face so that he became able to see himself. He looked exactly how he felt: tired, despondent and broken. The loose black top and grey jogging pants didn’t help him to look any healthier. The past months had made him a walking dead.

 

Donghae opened the glass door only a few silent breaths later, banged it behind him in a perhaps too loud way and turned into one big desperate smile from the sight of Sehun. Sehun held his finger in front of his mouth, warning the man to be quiet. Donghae nodded with an awkward laughter, walking with unsteady steps towards the younger one who was staring at him in shock. As soon as he could reach Sehun, he wrapped his hands around the boy’s slim waist, pressing his face tightly on the boy’s chest.

 

“I’m sorry…” Donghae whispered, all the drunken joy suddenly out of his voice. Sehun placed his hands around the man so that he wouldn’t fall. The man suddenly went really limp, leaning against Sehun with all his weight. Sehun dropped on his knees from the sudden pressure on him, Donghae falling on him without any control of his body.

 

“H-Hae?” Sehun whispered in panic, raising the man’s head so that he could see his face. The man had his eyes half-open, looking at nowhere in particular. Sehun patted his cheeks a few times, just to get an inert moan as an answer. He quickly put the man to lie on his side, trying to remember all those first aid lessons he had been given during his life. Was this an alcohol poisoning?

 

“Donghae…keep on…don’t die…” Sehun whispered by himself, trying the man’s pulse with shaking hands. The man was alive and breathing. Sehun took a deep breath, leaning down without an idea what to do...

 

“S….” Donghae suddenly tried to say, Sehun grabbing his face with both hands. “Donghae, is this just because of alcohol?” Sehun cried out, not caring about the volume anymore. Donghae seemed to get some life in his veins again, as he opened his eyes forcefully and looked at Sehun.

 

“Donghae, answer me. Did you drink too much?” Sehun yelled straight at the older one’s face. Donghae’s whole body suddenly shivered, Sehun almost screaming out from panic. Should he inform someone?

 

Donghae took a deep breath and closed his eyes, making a painful grin from which Sehun could deduce there was nothing more involved than the man’s old enemy alcohol.  Sehun sighed out from relief. He took Donghae’s sweaty palm into his own, kissing it. “Donghae…why…” He whispered, leaning down at the man’s face again. Donghae opened his eyes, just to close them again. He removed his hand from Sehun’s just to wipe it over his own sweaty face. “I…” The man tried to start, not succeeding. He opened his eyes, looking at Sehun with empty eyes before closing them once again, his body becoming limp.

 

Trying to keep his mind and body calm, Sehun grabbed the man from the floor and started carrying him towards their dorm. As he had learned to know, Donghae wasn’t very heavy. Just one staircase up, just one corridor… Sehun kept on staring at the expressionless, unconscious face of the man he loved. He didn’t even look like he was sleeping: he looked more like dead. Why were you doing this to yourself, Donghae? Sehun thought, feeling bitter when realising he knew the exact answer.

 

Sehun opened the dorm door, trying to be as quiet as possible. He had a feeling he would get killed in case anyone would see Donghae lying inside their dorm, passed out after a long night. Sehun grumbled into the living room, lying the man down on the sofa, checking his pulse once again. Donghae seemed to be breathing normally even though there were no other signs of life in him

 

After staring at his boyfriend’s empty face for a couple of painful moments Sehun decided to swallow his pride and go get someone to help him. He kissed Donghae’s hand worriedly before running into his room, to the only person he believed would be of some use in the situation.

 

“Kyungsoo hyung…Kyungsoo…” Sehun whispered into the sleeping boy’s ear, shyly shaking his shoulder. “What?” Kyungsoo answered angrily, turning to look at his maknae with a grumpy sleep face.

 

“Could you help me a bit?”

--------------

 

A/N: I'm gonna upload the second part of this chapter tomorrow :) sorry for keeping you waiting with this update 3