The (not so) secret love letter part 4

Natural Enemies

Ken sat on the first row bleachers. He peered up at the two again.

"How long does it take those two to talk? Minah doesn't even talk much." Ken mumbled in distaste. "I wanna go home."

Then he pulled out his phone.

 

Ravi lie on the hospital bed. He was to wait until his parents came to pick him up.
He groaned and sat up. He was bored out of his mind. He had told Hyuk to leave earlier so it wouldn't be so dark when Hyuk got home. Ravi knew his dad wasn't the nice type.

Just then, he received a text.

Barbie: Where r u?

Ravi: Tell Binnie I got a situation here

Barbie: He's a little busy but I'll take a message

Ravi: Technically your prob too but since Binnie's the team cap it's his prob

Barbie: Why? Ur taking his place?

Ravi: Dimwit!! Twisted my ankle and I'm in the hospital!

Barbie: oh gotcha

Ravi: What r u doing?

Barbie: Being bored. Did u make up with anyone?

Ravi couldn't help but grin.

Ravi: Yups

Barbie: Who!?

Ravi: Hyukkie

Barbie: That's awesome! Did he say yes?

Ravi: Yup

Barbie: Good. Asked N just a while ago. He said he needed some time.

Ravi: Yup. That's li

The message was never sent. Ravi was too distracted by the person that just walked in through the door.

Hyuk carried a plastic bag in one hand and closed the door with the other. He smiled warmly and held up the bag.

"Bought some food down the street. Black bean noodles." He made his way to Ravi's bedside. Ravi scoffed and put down his phone.

"I thought you left." Hyuk gave him a "you serious?" look then replied.

"I said I was leaving to get food. I'm not going home until I'm sure you're fine."

"You don't have to be so nice-"

"I'm not being nice. It's just that your injury was my fault." Ravi put a finger to his chin as Ken opened the bag.

"Hmmm. True. Good thing you bought food too. But you know I'm still unable to play basketball, right?" Ken looked up at Ravi, who seemed to be joking with every word he let out.

"Are you not upset that you won't be able to play basketball?" He asked softly.

Ravi's smile didn't drop.

"How am I supposed to stop smiling when I just made friends with you again. I don't care if basketball becomes illegal. It wouldn't matter to me at all as long as I had you as a friend." Hyuk grinned.

"That's nice. But you're overdoing it." He handed Ravi a bowl.

Ravi let out a breath.

"Fine. Maybe not having basketball might kill me but...I'd have you to buy me food and piggyback me when I'm down, right?" Hyuk said.

"Yeah." Then he started eating but Ravi just stared at him. "Eat your food. It'll get cold." Ravi finally snapped out of it and started eating as well.

 

Taekwoon had been running for hours now.

He ran the dirt track for cross country training and only sped up when he began feeling dizzy.

He had left his shirt in his locker and was shirtless, with only a pair of basketball shorts and running shoes on. Sweat gleamed off his body from the huge lights above the school.

He ran and ran until he was dying of fatigue then collapsed onto the grass side.

"AAAHHHH!!" He yelled and punched the dirt with his fist. He did so two then three more times before he pressed the bottoms of his palms to his forehead.

He growled then yelled then growled again.

He finally stopped and stayed still, only his chest rising and falling and his breath heaving.

"Minah-Minah-Minah-Minah-Minah-Minah-Minah-MINAH!!!!!" He screamed then jumped back on his feet and started sprinting the track again.

"I promise I'll treat her well and I'll be a good brother to her. Please." He remembers begging his parents to adopt her. He gave up half his life's savings to support Minah's necessities.
"I promise not to like her more than a sister! Please, Dad! Mom!"

He gave up the chance to love her.

Just to save her humanity. But he'd broken that promise today and so he shall be punished and his parents will have known.

For he was not going home tonight.

His legs gave out on him and he tumbled through the dirt. He pushed himself back up and started hobbling until he felt he could move his legs again.

Then he ran and ran until he fell again.

He had fallen beside Minah and his backpacks. He wondered if she had homework and started feeling guilty for not giving her her backpack. He was too angry earlier to remember to give it to her. He decided to check out of curiosity and he needed some time to breath anyway.

He ped it but didn't look in.

What am I doing? I have to receive fair punishment.

He got up and was about to start off again but his foot got caught on the strap, pouring out its contents.

He looked back. Something small caught his eye.

He picked it up and examined it.

He frowned as he unfolded it.

His eyes scanned the words.

Every letter. 

Every heart.

That's why she lied to me. That's why she was at the park that night.

Could Hongbin have written this? No way. He doesn't write like this, does he?

They haven't spoken personally for a long time so he could have changed but Taekwoon didn't think one person could change that much over just a couple of years.

He crumpled the letter and tossed it into the grass with a painful scream.

Then he continued running again, running and running into the night to punish himself for being such a disgraceful brother.

Minah arrived home at nine, having her adoptive parents worried sick.

They were eating dinner when she asked.

"Do you possibly know where Taekwoon Oppa is?" She asked. They both shook their heads even though they knew well.

"No, Honey. He does this a lot though. I'm sure he'll be at school tomorrow. Right, Hun?" She nudged her husband's elbow.

"Yes. Right." He answered quickly. Minah nodded solemnly.

"Thanks. I was just a little worried, that's all. Excuse me, please." She got up and left, giving Taekwoon's parents a sigh of relief. They jumped when Minah's voice rang back.

"I'm going to bed. Good night."

"Sweet dreams, darling!"

"Night."

 

Taekwoon was on the basketball court. He had found a nice ball out on the grass. It seemed brand new. He stood in front of the net in shooting position.

*Flashback*

"Yah! Leo! What are you doing?!" Hongbin shouted from the far court as Taekwoon made a shot at the basket.

Taekwoon turned to him.

"Hong-!" The ball hit him in the side of the face. He took a step back and grimaced in pain. "Owww." Hongbin jogged over chuckling. He went and grabbed the ball from the cement.

"Why are you here?" Hongbin asked, still grinning. Taekwoon rubbed the side of his face and turned to him.

"I was practicing for basketball try-outs next week. Until you showed up." Hongbin scoffed and Taekwoon moved out of his way.

"Free throwing is the easiest shot there is in basketball. You see." Hongbin got into ready position, bending his knees and staying focused on the net.

Then he shot and got nothing but the net.

"That's how you do it." He said as Taekwoon grabbed the ball from its bouncing state.

Taekwoon sneered and replaced Hongbin at the free throw line. He imitated Hongbin's position and held it, letting the latter inspect it.

"Spread your legs.

Don't lean forward so much.

Make sure you're not trapping the ball-"

"Hongbin!! Leo!!" They heard someone call and turned to see N sprinting toward them.

"What?" They both said at the same time. N stopped only a few feet from them and urested his hands on his knees, catching his breath.

"I have bad news." Taekwoon and Hongbin exchanged worried looks. "Basketball and Soccer...

They're overlapping from now on."

*Present*

Taekwoon made the shot.

It hit the railing,

bouncing off into an unknown area.

He could barely see anymore.

It was getting too dark on the courts so he decided to go back to running the track even though he could barely breathe.

He could taste blood but kept running until his legs were moving on instinct and his brain shut down.