The Nearly Insane and the Sane

Natural Enemies

"Minah!" Hongbin called.

Hongbin had been searching for Minah for a while now and was starting to worry a little. He decided to go back to the basketball courts and wait for Minah when he heard a loud continuous noise come from the staircase. 

He ran there as fast as he could.

"Minah-Ken?!" Hongbin said in surprise.

Ken groaned as he stood and shoved Hyuk.

"Why'd you trip me?" He nearly growled. "And what are you still doing here?" Ken asked Hongbin once he noticed him.

"Have you two seen Minah?" Hongbin asked. Ken and Hyuk shared glances.

"So we lost Leo and now Minah's gone? I sense fowl play." Ken said in a deep, thoughtful voice. Hyuk slapped him lightly on the forehead.

"Aish. Shut up." Hyuk said before turning to Hongbin. "Wherever Leo is, Minah is. The real question is where could they be?" Hyuk said.

"I don't know. They couldn't have gone far cause I left Minah for two minutes max. And I doubt she'd go to him right now. He's a little over the top." Hongbin said. Ken groaned.

"Can't believe he's a team captain of anything." He mumbled. "Okay, let's go!" He said before walking out the building and into the courtyard.

"Do you think they'd still be at school?" Hyuk asked. Hongbn shrugged.

"I don't know. But they don't have anywhere else to go and I already checked the whole school-"

"The rooftop." Hyuk said silently, catching Hongbin and Ken's attention. "The rooftop." Hyuk said louder this time. "I always see Leo up there when he's not at practice. I just saw him the other day when Hongbin had his game. He was watching over Minah! Which means..." 

Hyuk ran out to the basketball court until he was in the middle. 

He looked up and there it was.

A perfect view of the rooftop.

A perfect view of tiny Minah and big Taekwoon.

It looked like Minah was crying so Hyuk immediately dashed for the building.

Ken and Hongbin squinted in confusion at Hyuk until Hongbin looked up and sprinted after Hyuk.

"Yah! Where are you two going?!" Ken asked as he ran after them.

 

"No." Minah gasped in tears as Taekwoon stood hovering over her small figure. Taekwoon rested a hand on her shoulderblade.

"I know it's hard to believe, but how do you think they got control of you so easily? It should have taken them at least a year. But it only took a week. And why do you think they care for you more than me? I'm not their real child. You are." Taekwoon said, choked up. "I was neglected when you came, but I didn't care. I just needed you and nothing else. I love you, Jung Minah." 

Minah couldn't believe anything Taekwoon was saying. She didn't want to believe it. She wanted to escape from all these lies and uncertainty.

"Hongbin Oppa!!" Minah screamed just as Hyuk and Hongbin ran out. Hyuk immediately shoved Taekwoon against the fence and pinned him as Hongbin rushed to Minah.

"It's alright. I'm here." Hongbin said soothingly as he hugged Minah and her small trembling body.

"What the hell were you doing?" Hyuk growled as he clenched harder onto Taekwoon's shirt collar. Taekwoon averted his eyes and looked down at the cement. "Tell me!" Hyuk demanded, shaking Taekwoon.

Taekwoon didn't answer nor look Hyuk in the eye. Hyuk socked Taekwoon's left jaw and stepped back as Taekwoon held himself up against the fence.

"Guys-Minah!" Ken said as he ran through the door. He looked to his left. "Leo!" He saw the bruise. "Hyuk! What the hell happened!?" He asked.

"Take Minah and get out of here. Leo and I need to talk." Hyuk said in a deathly, low voice. Taekwoon glared at him as he brought a hand up to his dark bruise.

"Okay..." Ken said as he followed Hongbin and Minah back into the building. "Do you want the door closed-"

"Out!" Hyuk shouted, making Ken rush down the stairs after the others.

Hyuk glared at Taekwoon.

"You promised you wouldn't tell."

"I-"

"EVER!!" Hyuk snapped, punching Taekwoon on the other side of his face. Taekwoon spit out blood.

"I thought it could come out now that she's no longer mine." Taekwoon said softly. Hyuk sighed heavily and pursed his lips.

He hated how Taekwoon was always so depressed. He hated how Taekwoon's personallity died after being neglected and unloved by Minah's biological parents. But most of all,

Hyuk hated Minah's parents.

If only they hadn't given her up to adopt Taekwoon. Only if they hadn't adopted Minah again. Only if they hadn't neglected Taekwoon. Only if they weren't so hidden and didn't lie about everything.

If they didn't do all that, Taekwoon's and Minah's lives would be so much simpler right now. And less painful.

Hyuk punched Taekwoon's cheekbone then stepped back.

"She was never yours to start with. So stop being such a loser and go make some goals!!"

 

Ravi lie in bed...in silence...and loneliness...

"This !" Ravi bursted.

KONK KONK

There was a noise coming from Ravi's window. He groaned and looked down at his ankle.

Who knew an ankle injury would be so annoying?

He managed to slide over to the window and open it, the window was right beside his bed. He poked his head out only to get hit in the face by a rock.

"Ah!" Ravi exclaimed, clasping his face.

"AH! I'm sorry!" 

Ravi heard a female voice come from outside and his heart immediately began thumping out his chest.

He can't handle girls!

Ravi quickly shut the window and waited for her to go away, but she didn't. She threw more rocks at the windshield until Ravi was sure the glass was about to shatter. Ravi opened the window.

"W-What?!" He asked, looking out. He blushed lightly when he saw who it was.

"Get out here!" Hyuna called up to him, cupping . Ravi swallowed hard.

"N-No! G-Go away!" Ravi shouted down. Hyuna pouted and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I have something to tell you!" She shouted. Ravi leaned back in to his room to cover his panicked expression. 

He had had a growing crush on her since last year when she bumped into him in the school hall. He remembered her tiny, red lips, big eyes, and small face. He also thought her blonde hair was very interesting in a way and he acknowledged that she was different from everyone else. But...

"Why in the world is she here?!" Ravi asked himself.

"I'm here to tell you something important!" Hyuna shouted, having heard his question to himself. Ravi covered his mouth then took deep breaths. 

"Okay." He looked out the windowsill again. "What do you want to tell me?!" He asked, gathering his confidence. 

"Please don't hate me." Hyuna said quietly, before looking back up and cupping . She drew in a huge breath. "I'm your secret admirer!! And it's almost Valentine's Day! I'll be good to you!"

Ravi didn't know how to react so he said "okay" and closed his window. And once his window was closed, he screamed into his pillow.

"I'm such a coward!!!!"

 

The next day on the first day of the weekend, Minah spent her time in Hongbin's home. Where she practiced basketball on Hongbin's court with Hongbin's basketball.

She tried not to think about anything Taekwoon had told her but when she did, she'd have to rush to the bathroom and cry.

"Minah? Are you alright in there? It's been an hour now." Hongbin said, knocking on the bathroom door.

Minah looked in the mirror at herself. She held a pair of scissors in her hand.

Looking at the pair of scissors through the mirror, she ignored Hongbin's questions and linked her fingers in the scissors.

Then she slid the scissors into her long hair and

cut.

Then she 

cut again

and again

and again

until she almost broke out crying again.

But she didn't cry anymore. All she did was drop the scissors alongside her falling strands of redish-brown.

"Minah?" Hongbin said again, knocking a little harder.

"Oppa. I think it's okay now." Minah said in a cold voice. "I think it's all done now." She said to her reflection. "Finally finished." 

Minah turned to the door and unlocked it. She opened the door to see a breathless Hongbin.

"Oppa. You were right. Taekwoon doesn't have to suffer anymore. It's my turn."

 

Hyuna couldn't help but cry. Her heart felt broken. She knew she shouldn't have told him yet.

"I'm such an idiot." 

"Oh? Did you just notice?" 

Hyuna jumped at the familiar voice behind her.

"Hyun Oppa!" Hyuna squealed as she threw herself on Hyunseung's skinny figure. 

"Whoa! You've grown so much, Jing Jing Hyun!" Hyunseung said, spinning Hyuna in a 360 motion.

Hyuna pounded Hyunseung on the chest.

"Oppa~ I missed you and that's all you have to say?" Hyuna said in disappointment. Hyunseung blew air into her face, making her giggle.

"I missed you too~" He said, finally letting her down. Hyuna let out a sigh of content and sadness when she landed, sending Hyunseung off track.

"What's wrong?" He asked. Hyuna waved it off.

"Nothing Oppa. Why are you here?" She asked, changing the subject. Hyunseung pinched her cheek.

"I'm here to visit. How's my little bro doing?" He asked. Hyuna shrugged.

"I don't know...Actaully...Last I heard of him was only a day or two ago. He was missing and Ken was trying to find him." Hyuna said, trying to clear Ravi from her head.

"Oh? My bro's missing? Better go find him then. Now tell me what's wrong?" Hyunseung said, not letting Hyuna off the hook. Hyuna sighed and blew a bubble.

"Ravi."

"You're still hung up on that kid?" Hyunseung made a "pang" noise as he lightly bumped his palm into Hyuna's forehead. "You haven't mentally grown have you? And I still don't get why you bleached your hair like a gangster." He said, ruffling her hair.

"Ravi likes girls with unique style." Hyuna said, fixing her hair. Hyunseung scoffed.

"You're already unique just the.way.you.are." Hyunseung said, poking the tip of Hyuna's nose with each word.

"Aish~Just go and find Leo." Hyuna said, annoyed with all the teasing. 

"Okay. See you later, Jing Jing Hyun! I'll come visit! You still live at the same house, right?!" Hyunseung called back as he started skipping off. 

"Come visit! We're still there!" Hyuna shouted after him. 

As Hyunseung went farther and farther, Hyuna felt Ravi's overflowing rejection creep back in.

 

There was a knock at Ravi's door.

"If you're a murderer, go away~! If you're not, come on in~!" Ravi called out as he scrolled through his phone.

"Telling a murderer to go away is just going to get you killed faster." Hyuk said as he let himself in.

"At least he'll know I don't want to die yet." Ravi said in reply as he continued scrolling. Hyuk shook his head and sighed.                                                      

"Yeah-yeah. Well, I came to ask if you've seen N anywhere." Hyuk asked, reieving an "are you serious" look from Ravi. "What?" Hyuk asked. Ravi pointed at his ankle then his phone.

"Firstly, I'm stuck and bored to death in my bedroom prison. Secondly, I don't have N's freaking NUMB-"

"Okay-okay. Got it. Sorry. You were just the first person I thought of for some reason." Hyuk said before turning to leave but was called back.

"Wait! Why? Is he gone? Did you already try calling him?" Ravi asked. Hyuk nodded with a hard face.

"Yeah. Called him at least a dozen times yesterday and today. He's not answering-"

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Hyuk immediately answered his cell.

"Where have you been?!" Was the first thing he asked.

"Sorry~ I'm in the states right now. I was going to call you but we were still on the plane." N's voice said on the other line. "We're going to find Park Hyoshin. It's our only coice." 

"And why are you going to find him?" Hyuk asked.

"We think he just might get the two frienimies back into just friends." N said.

"Ohh. That's a good idea. Just tell me you'll be leaving next time, alright? I was worried to death." Hyuk said, before both of them signed off and hung up.

"Where is he?" Ravi asked.

"States." Hyuk answered.

"What!? I've been begging to go there since grade school and he goes suddenly?! Aish~! Life !!"

 

Hongbin was asleep on the sofa when Minah decided to go out for some air.

Minah was about to step onto the sidewalk when someone almost ran into her.

It was a pretty, blonde girl about her size and height.

"Ugh. I'm sorry. I'm such a clutz." Hyuna said as she got up and shook Minah by the hand. "Name's Hyuna. Yours?" She asked.

"Minah." Minah replied with a strangly straight face.

"Are you alright?" Hyuna asked.

"Yes. I'm perfectly fine." Minah replied. Hyuna reached for Minah's hair strands.

"Well you may be. But not your hair. Let's go get it fixed. I need to fix my heart too. Let's do it together." Hyuna said as she took Minah by the wrist and ran to the salon just down the street.

"How fortunate of us! This is one of my favorite salons in the city! Let's hurry and go in!" Hyuna said excitedly.

Once they were in, Hyuna offered to pay and treat Minah. She had a rich family anyway, Hyuna suggested.

They got their hair bleached white, Hyuna getting a new coat of bleach.

Minah didn't care anymore and Hyuna needed to get her heart fixed and to solve that problem.

So they spent hours at the salon chatting and laughing because laughter is the best medicine for both the nearly insane and the sane.