The secret love letter part 2

Natural Enemies

Ravi sat in his study and stared not at his phone or clock or tv, but his fist. He couldn't get the thought of Hyuk out of his head.

How they used to be best friends and do everything together.

He feels like they hadn't had enough time to be friends. He also now felt guilty because he had just punched him and made him cry.

He had ruined his ex-best friend's social life and he was ready to clear it up the next day.

Although he couldn't figure out why Hyuk would cry just because of a punch. There had to be something behind it.

"What am I thinking?" He asked himself in a groggy voice. He yawned and went to bed, too fatigued to stay awake.

 

N rung Hyuk's doorbell.

Hyuk's family lived in a small and comfy house unlike most of his friends.

N looked through the windows when no one came to open the door. He tried knocking a couple more times but had no luck so he tried Hyuk's bedroom window.

As he sneaks to the backyard, he remembers how him and Ken would sneak through this pathway to get to Hyuk's room.

Once they got there, Ken would always complain about Hyuk's messy room and he'd be so loud sometimes that they would be caught by his parents, especially Mr. Han.

N reaches the window and places a hand on the window pane as he pulls himself in. The window was left wide open as if someone was expecting him. He squeezes in between the glass and falls head first to the green carpet. He groans and rubs his forehead with one hand.

"Owww." He noticed the lights were dimmer than usual and Hyuk was nowhere in sight.

"Hyuk? Hyuk~" He called gently, just in case his dad was close by.

He looked from room to room and quickly realized that no one was home. He turns for the front door but notices movement in the living room. He walks over to the door and is about to turn the knob when he hears

"N cannot help you son. You have to help yourself through life."

"You're just saying that because mom left you."

There was a moment of silence.

"She left me because I didn't deserve her. I didn't nurture my own life well enough to deserve her. So you have to work hard to improve yourself in order to become fit for-"

"N improves me, Dad!"

N's eyes widened and his heart quivered.

"N helps me through everything and every time he succeeds, I...I feel like a better person."

"Son. You need to stop-"

"No! YOU need to stop! I can control my own life!" With that, the room filled with silence.

N put his ear closer to the door just as it opened. He immediately jolted back and looked around the room as Hyuk's father came out. They stared at each other for a moment then Mr. Han left without any questioning. N was very relieved at that.

He peeked in the crack of the door again and saw Hyuk slouched over. He hugged himself and was shivering, crying.

N didn't know whether to go in or not.

"What are you waiting for?" N jumped as Han's voice rung through his ear drums. "Get in there." He said before turning and finally leaving for real.

N swallowed and thought of what he should say to his friend.

The old door creaked as he entered and alarmed Hyuk. Hyuk's red eyes shot up to look at N, who waved back.

"Y-You came? I told you not to." Hyuk managed through hiccups. N sat right beside him.

"Of course I came. You're such a crybaby that I need to keep my eyes on you 24/7-" Hyuk hugged N's waist.

"Please stay the night with me N. I don't want to be alone." He pleaded. N smiled and wrapped his arms around the other's shoulders.

He pulled the bigger boy closer to his chest and snuggled him.

"You're stupid."

 

Taekwoon pulled Minah through their house and into his bedroom. He slammed the door after flinging her into the middle of the room.

"What are you doing?" He asked, one hand still against the door.

He didn't turn to look at her once.

She didn't know how to answer.

Does he want to know what she was doing or what she is doing?

Taekwoon turned and started toward Minah. She backed up every time he took a step forward.

"Why don't you ever listen to me? Don't you respect me at all?" He questioned softly.

Minah felt the soft bed behind her with her thighs. She just realized that she had dropped her skirt somewhere at the park maybe.

"What were you doing with him?" He asked, obviously aware of the missing piece of clothing.

He inched even closer, forcing Minah to sit herself down on the bed and look at the floor.

"Answer me." He said a little too softly.

"I..." She started. "I...we...got stuck in a hole after chasing a kid. He said he needed help with something. I don't know." She said hesitantly.

She didn't want to tell him that Ken was being a jerk and that she had a secret admirer because he would say that was dangerous and he'd protect her even more. She felt like she had her own personal bodyguard.

Taekwoon sighed and bent down to her head level. He embraced the back of her head with his right hand and put their foreheads together.

"Minah-ah. It's your life so don't think of me as your personal bodyguard or anything. But...just remember that I'm here and I'll always be here. Okay?" He said reassuringly. Minah nodded and received a sweet kiss to the cheek.

"You're lucky I can restrain myself." He said with a chuckle as she smacked him lightly on the bare chest. "Alright, go to bed. It's really late." He said.

She obeyed and went to bed.

 

Taekwoon lie in bed with two arms crossed behind his head. He thought of everything that happened that day.

He wondered what happened to Hyuk and why N hasn't called back.

He thinks of the time him and Hongbin used to be friends.

He actually misses it but after what happened, he could never forgive him.

But he barely thought of that. He thought of what the outcomes would have been if he made a move on Minah.

What if he let his body do whatever it wanted?

 

Hongbin stayed at the park the whole night. Ken had tried texting him a couple times earlier.

Barbie: Hey was that Leo?

Barbie: Where r u?

Barbie: R u ok?

Barbie: Kk don't want to talk. All good here

Barbie: BOO!

Barbie: No? Kk I'm done

Hongbin deeply sighed and thought of that fateful moment a year ago.

*Flashback*

It was about a week after Taekwoon's parents called Hongbin about Taekwoon's idea of adopting Minah. Hongbin decided to call Taekwoon and make up. Taekwoon agreed to it because he wanted to be friends again but also because they were going to a soccer game. Park Hyoshin's team was playing.
Hongbin and Taekwoon walked beside each other, awkwardly stepping one foot in front of the other. Hongbin suggested that he pay for the tickets since he invited Taekwoon and so Taekwoon let him buy the tickets. They were making their way to their front row seats when a boy about the age of 8 ran by. Hongbin watched the boy to distract himself from the awkwardness emitting from Taekwoon and could tell the boy was trying to get to his parents. The boy climbed over the railing and stumbled, falling downward. Hongbin's instincts kicked in and he propelled toward the boy but Taekwoon sped up at the same time, making Hongbin bump into him with force. Taekwoon flung over the railing and got caught on the fence wiring. The boy clung onto Taekwoon's leg and weighed him down. Taekwoon's arms gave out half because of the weight and half because he was unprepared. He slid down the wires, creating two large bloody gashes across his abdomen and chest as he fell on top of Hyoshin's fans. The boy fell into his father's arms safely.
"Leo!" Hongbin called and ran down to the low bleachers. He pushed past people but once he got there, Taekwoon was already being treated by medics. He tried getting to Taekwoon but the security guards held everyone back. Taekwoon was later hospitalized for two months and missed out on soccer season. Hongbin could never be forgiven.


*Present*


Hongbin found his way back to Ken's hole to jump in but noticed something lying on the ground. It was Minah's skirt for her school uniform.

He bent down and picked it up then started toward the exit of the park. He decided not to sleep in the park that night like he usually did. He was passing by the blue bench when he saw an all too familiar backpack.

The backpack Ravi wore in front of his chest the other night and Minah wore on her back everyday.

He went over and ped the backpack to put her skirt in it when a pink envelope slid out.

He picked it up after a moment of hesitation and opened it.

He read the letter.

Who was this person that admired her?

He quickly brushed it off and put everything in her bag. He set it on the bench and was about to leave but thought her backpack was essential to school. So he picked it up and started off.


Morning came and everyone seemed normal until Hyuk showed up.

Most of the people he walked by in the halls whispered as he walked by but he tried ignoring them. He was turning the corner when someone came up behind him.

Ravi wrapped his arm around Hyuk's shoulders and smiled widely.

"We put on a really good show yesterday after school, didn't we!?" Ravi said loud enough for students three halls down to hear. The whispering became even louder right afterward. Hyuk looked at Ravi wide-eyed. "You're welcome." Ravi said as he let go of Hyuk and started off to class.

Hyuk took a deep breath and continued walking down the hall again.

Wondering what just happened.

"Meet me here right after the bell rings, okay?" Taekwoon instructed. Minah nodded and the two went separate ways for the day.

Minah wondered how her stuff got in her room when she awoke that morning. She doesn't remember bringing her backpack with her or her skirt when Taekwoon dragged her home. She wonders if it could be her secret admirer as she stares at the letter.

It's last period so it means Boring Han time. She sat in her desk, still staring at her letter. She's daydreaming about who it could be and doesn't hear the start bell ring.

"Miss Bang!" Mr. Han shouted. Minah doesn't react the first time so the teacher walks up to her desk and snatches the paper out of her hands. She jumps and her eyes are wide as she looks up at her teacher.

Mr. Han holds it before him and fixes his glasses at an angle as he starts reading.

"Dear my cutie-"

"Stop! Please. I'm really sorry sir." She interrupted him.

He folded the letter at its creases and put it in his back pocket.

"Stay after class." He said before going back to lecturing about proper grammar. Minah groaned and tried her best not to get in trouble again.

 

Taekwoon sat close to Hyuk and N in Anatomy class. They were in the brain section of the book.

"Mr. Jung. At what speed do nerve impulses travel to and from the brain?" His female teacher, Ms. Kim asked.

"Nerve impulses travel at a rate of one hundred and seventy miles per hour, ma'am." Taekwoon answered immediately. His teacher gave an appreciative smile and nod then asked the other students questions.

N tapped on Taekwoon's left shoulder.

"Dude. You have to tutor me more." He said. Taekwoon nodded then changed the subject.

"What happened last night with Hyuk?" He asked.

Hyuk sat on the right of N and seemed to be spacing out.

"His ex came up." N said. Taekwoon's eyes widened three times its normal size. "Yeah. I had to stay at his house until he fell asleep. And-oh yeah. Did you find Minah?" N asked. Taekwoon nodded as his eyes turned back to its normal size. "How?" He asked.

"I-"

"Mr. Cha. Please stop talking to Mr. Jung and pay attention." She said.

N sighed and turned back to the front of the room. "Now explain to me what we just read."

N furrowed his brows and wished he was as smart as Taekwoon.

 

School got out and Hongbin immediately started toward the locker room so he could change and go to basketball practice. When he got in, Ravi was already in there changing. He went over to his locker and put in the lock code.

"Hongbin." He heard Ravi's voice and hummed in reply. "I can't do this anymore." Hongbin turned around to see Ravi shirtless and looking off into the distance.

"You can't do what anymore?" Hongbin questioned, thinking Ravi wanted to quit the team.

"I can't be enemies with them anymore. With Hyuk and N and Leo-"

"It's alright. I never asked you to choose a side and I won't hate you if you chose them over me." Hongbin said, turning back to his open locker and lifting his shirt off over his head.

There was a silence then he heard Ravi's footsteps disappear out the door.

He sighed.

 

Minah stayed put after the bell rang and waited everyone out before she went up to Mr. Han's desk.

Mr. Han looked up through his round glasses and then back at the paper on his desk.

"We need to talk about your behavior in this class." He started as he took the letter out from his pocket. Minah chewed her bottom lip. "First, you fall asleep during my lectures. Second, you don't bring your required book to class. And third, you stare at a piece of paper during my class. I would also like to know why you were with my son yesterday." He finished.

"I dropped my letter and he picked it up to run it to me. That's all sir. Honest." She said.

Mr. Han sighed.

"Go sit down. I have something to give you." He said, opening a drawer underneath his desk.

 

Taekwoon checked his phone. It's been ten minutes since the bell rung and Minah was nowhere in sight.

Minah texted Taekwoon.

Minah: Have to stay after school c u at home

Taekwoon scoffed when he received the message. She was not going to trick him again. He ran to Mr. Han's room.

 

Ravi ran out to the huge front lawn of the high school, past the bleachers. He looked right and left for any traces of Hyuk but students buzzed back and forth so he couldn't see. He ran back to the bleachers and stood on the fifth row seat.

He scanned the shiny black ocean with traces of brown then stopped.

"Hyuk!!" He shouted.

Hyuk looked up and over at him, holding a text book to his dark green chest as he waited for N. Hyuk's face slowly darkened and he averted his eyes from Ravi's.

"Hyuk!" Hyuk started walking through the crowd. "Hyuk!" Ravi jumped down the seat but landed wrong and slightly twisted his ankle. He stumbled but caught himself. Shifting his weight to his left foot, he limped as fast as he could toward the direction of Hyuk.

He used his reasons in wanting to be friends with Hyuk again to motivate his every step. Students gave him worried looks as he hobbled past them.

"Hyuk!!" He could see Hyuk's dark green shirt. Hyuk stopped abruptly and turned around with one piercing motion.

"What?" He asked softly, voice cracking at the end of his one word. Ravi continued down his path until he was in Hyuk's personal bubble.

"I'm sorry-"

"You don't have to apologize-"

"Friends?" Hyuk froze as Ravi stuck out a hand with hopeful eyes. His face kept changing due to his injured ankle. "Please?" Hyuk hesitantly but smoothly shifted his textbook into one hand.

He reached his right hand to Ravi's right hand.

Ravi snatched his hand and shook, smiling widely the whole time.

"Friends." Hyuk repeated to himself as his eyes looked to the ground. He noticed Ravi's unsettled foot.

"Glad you didn't reject me-"

"What happened?" Hyuk asked, bending down to Ravi's sprained ankle. Ravi shook it a little and sighed. This was going to affect basketball if he didn't get treatment soon.

"Ever jumped off the fifth row bleachers?" He joked, laughing a dry laugh.

"Yeah." Hyuk replied honestly. "My medic said I should've had it wrapped earlier." Hyuk got to his feet and turned around, bending down a little. "Here, I'll piggyback you to the nurse's office." Ravi chuckled.

"Fine. But this is gonna look really weird." He pointed out as he climbed onto his friend's back. Hyuk lifted him and was careful not to drop his textbook.

"You're light."

"Shut up and take me to the nurse." Ravi commanded, turning back to his old self.

They received mixed emotions from people then Hyuk stopped in front of the nurse's office. The room was dark and the door was locked.

"Umm. Guess what?" Ravi said. Hyuk sighed.

"What?" He knew this was going to be some sarcastic thing and it was.

"The door's locked and we're outside. And my basketball season is over." Ravi groaned. "How's your life?"

"Ra-"

"It's going great. Just got socked in the face yesterday by some stupid kid and is now piggybacking that same idiot kid who jumped off the bleachers to come befriend me again. Oh yeah and his name's Ravi. His ankle's broken. His freaking ankle is broken!"

Hyuk raised a brow.

"My basketball season is over, Hyuk!" Ravi screamed and plopped down on Hyuk's back. He puffed out his cheeks. "I'm such an idiot." He mumbled.

"No you're not." Ravi frowned.

"You know I am." Hyuk scoffed.

"Fine. You are. But you're not as stupid as I am."

"What?"

"When you punched me...I was already crying."

"And?"

"And...I...She...N...N called me stupid." Ravi kept his frozen frown.

"So what if he calls you stupid? He's as dumb as a rat-"

"No! He's not like that anymore!" Ravi jumped a little. "He has always helped me through my problems and everything he has said is true. I'm stupid."

"No you're not." Hyuk bit his bottom lip.

"Why not?" There was a silence then a chuckle.

"No reason. I just wanted to mess with you. Now let's hurry to the hospital shall we?" Hyuk simply nodded and started walking when he got smacked on the head.

"Hey-!"

"Idiot."

 

Hongbin saw Ken out on the basketball court, already shooting baskets.

"Where's Ravi?" Ken asked once he noticed Hongbin. Hongbin did a layup before answering. He tossed his ball to Ken, Ken catching it in his hands.

"He's out remaking friends."

"I knew it." Hongbin raised a brow.

Ken tossed the ball into Hongbin's chest, Hongbin catching it centimeters from impact. "I saw it coming."

Hongbin didn't believe it. If there was one thing Ken wasn't good at, it was telling how people felt and the future.

Hongbin nodded unconvincingly, breaking Ken's lie.

"Fine-Fine. You caught me. He told me earlier."

"What'd you say?" Hongbin asked, passing the ball back to Ken. Ken scratched his head with one hand.

"I told him to do it. I'm starting to get tired of these games too." Hongbin sighed.

This isn't a game. Maybe to Taekwoon but not Hongbin.

"Okay. It's alright. Go make up with all of them. It's not just you guys; I'm sick of this too." Hongbin said.

Ken clenched hard onto the ball as Hongbin put out his hands.

They stayed like that for a moment.

"Can I have my ball back?" Hongbin finally asked.

Ken looked up at him then turned ninety degrees to the right and chucked the ball into the far field.

"What are you doing!?" Hongbin yelled in shock. Ken turned back to him with a grin then snatched his wrist.

"Hey! What are you-"

"We're going to make up."

"But. That was my best ball." Hongbin groaned and looked to his shiny ball. He decided it wasn't as important and bit his lip before running with Ken.