The Triangle

Natural Enemies

It was a hot summer day(according to Seoul) and everyone was indoors this lunch hour except one.

The tall brunette stood on the half court line of the basketball court and took a deep breath.

The whole world came to a stand-still for a moment, then his sweat bead slid down his smooth cheek and he bounced the basketball as he took long strides. He reached the right of the hoop and did a layup.

Nothing but net.

He hunched forward and held himself up with elbows to his knees, resting to make sure he doesn't die by the scorching heat.

After another moment of silence, he starts towards the basketball that had traveled into the green field and picks it up as he spots his rival.

The basketball player's taller rival kicked a soccer ball from the opposite side of the field and right into the goal on the other side.

He continued kicking the balls he had lined up into the goal on the other side, perfectly lining those up as well. His face was hard and serious when he concentrated, just like Lee Hongbin's when he practiced basketball.

Hongbin picked the basketball up and smiled an empty smile, dimple showing, as he turned around and back to half court.

The school bells rung, indicating that the day was over.

A cute petite girl in her third year of high school snuck up behind the star soccer player and tip-toed to cover his eyes.

"Guess who it is~" She said playfully. Jung Taekwoon  scoffed and quickly turned around to tickle her.

"Minah-Minah-Minah." He answered. She giggled uncontrollably and could barely tell him to stop. "S-s-sto~p! O~ppa~!" Taekwoon laughed at her then stopped when she almost fell to the ground.

"How was that?" He asked rhetorically. She smacked his arms and held on.

"Let's go home." She said, still smiling.

The two walked home everyday after school and it felt short because they would talk.

"Oppa. I wanna play basketball." She stated. Taekwoon pouted and crossed his arms before speaking.

"Why don't you just play soccer like me?" He suggested. She shook her head.

"I like basketball, Oppa~. I wanna play basketball with Hongbin Oppa-"

"No!" Taekwoon snapped, Minah lowered her head and it felt like hours before they got home.

Minah had crossed the line when she mentioned the name Hongbin. She didn't know why but it was something that happened a long time ago, before Taekwoon's parents took her in at age fifteen.

Every time she mentioned his name, Taekwoon would become cold and yell.

They entered the house and went separate ways in silence.