Chapter 2

My Enduring Love

“You’re in Seoul Yejun. You’ve been here for 8 months now. You’ve been in the hospital for 5 weeks in a coma. Do you remember the car accident? Think hard.” The doctor said to her once she calmed down.

Yejun really didn’t remember anything. “I-I can’t”

“Try hard” Lindy said giving her a soft and assuring smile.

“I remember going to Niagara falls that one day with Lindy. We went to the haunted house and we-we played games at the arcade. I won a monkey.” Yejun looked at the ground noticing that the doctors attitude towards the situation hadn’t changed. “I remember that photo shoot we did to stop global warming. And that photo shoot we did for that really nice blue coat.”

Lindy smiled knowing that that photo shoot had happened about 2 weeks before they had came to Korea. Fresh tears were threatening to fall. Lindy loved Yejun like a mother loved a daughter. They had a special bond. Although the between the two women is only 5 years Lindy still cares for Yejun deeply.

After  the doctor asked a bunch of questions Yejun felt exhausted and fell asleep. The doctors said that it was normal to feel that tired and it was almost impossible for her to fall into another coma.

“She has some memory loss. It might come back or it might not. We can’t guarantee that it will but they usually do. We’ll keep her in the hospital for tonight so that we can monitor her but she should be able to go home tomorrow after noon.” Dr. Kang was telling Lindy in his office.

“What about her ankle?” Lindy asks.

“The cast should be taken off next week. Her progress has been amazing so I’m hoping it healed well.”

“Her memory… is there nothing we can do about it?” Lindy was frightened of the answer but she needed to know. She wanted Yejun to remember. The girl has already suffered too much and didn’t deserve to suffer anymore.

“Small things might trigger her memories but you can’t guarantee this stuff. Because of how often it got hit in the same spot she might never remember. It’s good that she finally remembered coming here to Korea, but just try to live daily lives as you usually would. Don’t let her get stressed and don’t let her model for at least another month. It would be good if she goes back to Canada to see her family. Maybe she’ll remember more then. Especially in her state she could be emotionally damaged not knowing what to do.”

“Okay. Thank you doctor.”

Lindy walked out from his office and headed back to the room which Yejun was kept in. She opened the door and noticed Donghae was sitting on the seat beside her bed with his hands buried on his face. The girl was laying in her bed fast asleep.

“Hae, she’ll remember. Just give her some time.” Lindy said trying to comfort him. She sat down in the chair beside him and put her head back. She could hear Donghae sobbing but she wasn’t sure if it was because he was happy that she woke up or sad because she doesn’t remember him. It could be both.

“I-I don’t know what to do Lindy” Donghae said through sobs “what if she never remembers me? What if she falls in love with someone else? I can’t live without her.”

“Hae stop. She’ll remember you. I promise you she will.”

A comfortable silence took over until Donghae was able to control his tears. The man cried a lot but neither Lindy nor Yejun cared. To Yejun it always seemed as if he was just passionate and loved many different things. They never saw it as something unmanly.

“What did the doctor say?”

“She’ll be discharged tomorrow. Donghae, he said it might be a good idea if she went back to Canada for a bit. She was too shocked by everything. It might be for the better Hae.” Lindy said cautiously.

“For how long?” Donghae didn’t want her to leave. He wanted to hold her. He wanted to kiss her. He missed her and now Lindy wants to take her away again.

“Our apartment isn’t small Yejun. It is very cozy. You really like your room.” Lindy said while driving them home. She felt kind of scared at first having to drive them both home but she didn’t want Yejun to feel uncomfortable too so she put those feelings aside. Yejun was still in shock with everything and was shaking a bit at first when the car started to move. She had a cast on her foot that would get taken off soon but it made her uncomfortable.

Once they arrived in the apartment Lindy sat her down at the couch. The apartment wasn’t big but it was only the two of them so the space was more than enough. Yejun walked in and on the left was the kitchen which had beige walls. The countertop and cupboards were all white with black appliances. The kitchen wasn’t very spacious but again it was big enough to fit two people at the same time. One of the countertops was an eating space which had 4 high rise stools. Yejun then went straight which was a black table with black chairs which she assumed was the dinning room. Attached to it was the living room which was also beige. The couches and coffee table were black. The place looked somewhat familiar but then she turned her attention to a photo on the wall. It was that man that she saw standing by her bed at the hospital.

“Unnie, do you have a boyfriend?” Yejun asked as Lindy came into the living room with tea.

“No. Why do you ask hun?” Lindy responded, confused by the sudden question.

“Who’s that then?” Yejun asked and pointed to a photo at the wall and at the same time the doorbell rang so Lindy got up to answer it before she could even look to the photo which Yejun was pointing at.

Yejun looked at the photo on the wall. There was a man in burgundy pants and a plain white shirt with a smile on his face. He had brown hair and a fringe, he somewhat resembled a fish if that made any sense. But he was handsome.

Suddenly that man she was looking at in the photo walked into the living room with Lindy.

“Yejun, you have a visitor!” Lindy beamed as the man walked in with bags in his hands.

Yejun looked up and bowed her head a bit.

He smiled at her but didn’t say a thing and put the food in the kitchen. Lindy began clearing the coffee table in the living room and setting up plates. She noticed how this man just went into the kitchen and began to grab things out of the cabinet as if it were his own house.

They were all sitting at the coffee table on the ground and in front of them was food. Donghae reached into a bag with drinks and pulled out something for each of them. In front of Yejun a bottle of orange juice was put, which was her favorite drink, and Yejun quickly locked eyes with Donghae.

How did he know?

“Yejun, you remember him don’t you?” Lindy asked after Donghae finished pulling out the food from the bags and they began to eat.

Yejun had no idea who this guy was. “N-no.”  She saw sudden sadness in his eyes as he looked at the ground.

“Yejun he’s yo-“ Lindy began but Donghae suddenly grabbed the bottle of orange juice on the table and open it for Yejun.

“Here, you really like orange juice” Donghae said with a sweet smile.

“Thank you” was all Yejun could say. She couldn’t help but feel awkward by his presence. “Unnie, could I have some water?” Yejun said.

Donghae felt hurt.

After they ate in silence Donghae realized that not once had she touched the orange juice. She drank about 4 cups of water but never even acknowledged the orange juice he bought her.

“My name is Donghae” Donghae finally spoke up to Yejun “and I’m your boyfriend.” He said his voice shaking. He was hoping she would stop playing around and give up. But this wasn’t a game. Yejun really didn’t remember him.

Yejun didn’t know how to respond. She didn’t respond. She just stared at the ground then back up at Lindy “I-I have a b-boyfriend?”

“You’ve been dating for 6 months now” Lindy had concern in her eyes.

Yejun didn’t look up at him but looked at the ground “I’m sorry” was all she managed to say.

Donghae tried to keep his emotions under control. He tried to hide his tears. “I-it’s okay. Things will come back soon”

Donghae came over almost every day to see how Yejun was doing but Yejun felt uncomfortable. She never looked at him and always moved away if he got close to her. She didn’t like the idea that she had a boyfriend. Yes he was very attractive but she wasn’t sure if she was ready for a relationship. 6 months is a long time. How far did they go? Were they engaged? Does he love her?

“You have a flight booked for Canada in 2 days after you get the cast off your ankle. You’ll be there for only 2 weeks then we come back.” Lindy said to Yejun as she helped Yejun put on a skirt.

“Lindy?” Yejun said.

“Yes hun?”

“Is…what is Donghae like?” Yejun asks Lindy.

“Donghae is… Donghae is an amazing boyfriend. He loves you a lot Yejun. Definitely a keeper. Your family doesn’t approve of him but that never stopped you two from having a relationship. Here” Lindy grabbed a photo book that was on the desk in Yejun’s room.

Yejun opened it and noticed a whole bunch of little photos and her writing. Like a scrap book. Things were recorded like first hug, first kiss, first hand holding. There were photos of them hugging or just standing beside each other. There were photos with their friends and one of her at a concert. She doesn’t remember any of this, this all seems so fake to her.

“You loved him a lot Yejun. He’d do anything for you.” Lindy said.

“What does he do? Like as a career”

“He’s a singer. You’re dating someone famous.”

Suddenly Yejun’s jaw dropped not knowing how to respond. She flipped through the pages of the scrap book and noticed Donghae in a recording booth sometimes, other times on stage, she noticed a photo of an earpiece with both of them together. Then she turned the page and there was a newspaper article with the title “BREAKING! SUPER JUNIOR’S DONGHAE DATING MODEL KIM YEJUN”.

“Super Junior?” you read out loud.

“That’s the name of the group he’s in.” Lindy responded.

They were both were sitting in the living room when Lindy put on a music video of Super Junior. “This one is kind of old but Donghae looks good in it. It’s called Mr. Simple. It’s really catchy.” Lindy pressed play and they all popped up in bright colored suits dancing. You noticed some of the faces were there in the scrap book. Yejun didn’t remember ever meeting them but somehow they seemed somewhat familiar.

“Super Junior” Yejun whispered to herself trying to remember.

Donghae came over again and brought food. Yejun was sitting at the table when food was put in front of her.

“Donghae brought kimchi stew with pork. You love this stuff Yejun” Lindy said. They all sat around the table and began to eat.

“Yejun do you like it?” Donghae asks her. She looks up momentarily.

“Yes, thank you.” That was all she managed to say.

 She hadn’t seen him smile a lot but after searching a bit about Super Junior and her ‘boyfriend’ she felt somewhat uncomfortable. She didn’t like knowing that she was dating someone famous. When she searched his name a whole bunch of articles came up about her. It made her uncomfortable knowing there are all these people trying to pry into her personal life.

“The boxes I brought are from the fans. They are gifts and cards for you. Some were sent to me while others were sent to your fan mail and I thought I’d pick them up.” Donghae said shyly.

Yejun noticed that Donghae seemed to be a very nice, hardworking and shy man. He had so much yet he was so kind. What about him made them date though?

“Yejun, I need to go to the office quickly to pick up some documents for tomorrow.” Lindy says once they finish eating “is it okay if I leave you alone here with Donghae?”

Yejun felt her face going hot and red. Alone? With her boyfriend? Yejun wanted to say no. She was scared. Donghae was basically a stranger to her. She didn’t want to be alone with him.

“I’ll watch out for her. Go to the office noona, we’ll be fine” Donghae says.

“B-but can’t we go tomorrow before we go to the hospital? I mean it’s not like we’d be doing anything anyways right unnie?” Yejun tried. She was pleading Lindy with her eyes.

“Hun the hospital is in the opposite direction of the office. It would waste too much time. I won’t take long okay? Donghae is here if you need anything.” With that Lindy got up from the table cleared the plates with Donghae then left.

Yejun was left sitting awkwardly on the couch and Donghae sitting on the floor across from her.

“Let’s open the fan mail” he said then walked to get the boxes. He brought over 3 large boxes filled with things and he opened them for Yejun to go through.

There were so many things in the box. Not just letters but photos and chocolates and candies and stuffed animals. There were some hand made stuff and even couple outfits. Yejun decided to read the fan mail so she opened a card and out came a photo of a shirtless Donghae.

Yejun’s eyes went big as the photo fell on the coffee table in front of Donghae and she put her hands over her face with a small squeal. Donghae looked at the photo and didn’t know how to react. “Yejun? A-are you okay?” he asks concerned by her reaction.

“I-i-I’ll open a different card” Yejun said not knowing how to react.

“It was just for a photo shoot if you’re wondering” he said to her.

“No, I just… I didn’t need to see that” Yejun said not noticing the hurt in Donghae’s eyes.

She picked up another card and open it then noticed the envelope felt heavy. She emptied it on the coffee table and out came packages of condoms.

Yejun let out a small gasp, “I think I’ll look at these another time.” she said. Her face was hot. They both reach to pick up the condoms and their hands touched which made Yejun jump suddenly. Donghae retrieved his hand and put it behind his neck. Yejun reached for the condoms again and put it in the envelope then began to put everything into the box.

Donghae came over to her side to help put everything back in then he noticed how close they were. He could see the scars on the side of her face from the stitches which she had. He loved her with scars or without. It just showed how brave she was.

Yejun felt someone looking at her so she looked up and was met with Donghae’s intense eyes staring at her.

“Your beautiful” Donghae said wanting to get closer to her.

“Thanks” was all Yejun said then suddenly moved over a bit to create a bigger space between them.

“S-sorry.” Donghae said.

Everything went quiet again.

“I- I saw some of Super Junior’s music videos” Yejun spoke up. Donghae wanted to smile brightly since this was the first time she was trying to converse with him.

“Which ones? Did you like them?” he asks trying to keep the conversation going.

“I saw Mr. Simple and Sorry Sorry. Then I saw one… I don’t remember the name but you were wearing a red suit” Yejun said trying to remember the name of the song.

“It’s called Oppa Oppa” Donghae said.

“Yeah! That one!” Yejun suddenly raised her voice.

This made Donghae wonder why. Did she like it that much?

“Did you like that one?”

“Y-yeah it was catchy” she says.

Silence filled the room again.

“Donghae, I’m sorry I don’t remember you and the relationship” Yejun said “I’ll be going to Canada. I don’t know if Lindy told you. I was told that my family doesn’t like us together and honestly I don’t know what to think.” Yejun was confused. She already knew her parents didn’t talk to her a lot but why were they so mad about Donghae? Did he do something? Or was it just because he was famous?

“Yejun I love you.” Donghae said.

Yejun didn’t say anything.  She wasn’t expecting to hear it so soon, in fact it was a bit too soon for her. She barely knows the man and felt nothing for him.

“Donghae, I-“ Yejun began.

 

 

A/N

Chapter 2 in celebration for Leeteuk's return ^^

I hope you guys are liking the story ~~ don't be shy to comment!

Thank you to my 4 subscribers ㅠㅠ and thank you to all my silent readers ^^