Christmas Capers

Excuse me,will you be his mother?

I was nervous.

No scratch that. I was really nervous.

And for a good reason.

Because Jung was coming over for Christmas dinner. And of course, I would be cooking. Christmas had always been a huge and noisy event for us. But we hadn't celebrated Christmas the year umma died. I still didn't feel upto it, but umma had loved christmas as if she herself had been a christian. So we were going to have a quiet, family dinner. And powers that be (read, Junsu), I had been tricked into inviting Jung for the dinner. And he would arriving in an hour. And I was still covered in floor and bits of chocolate.

Appa had gone to pick up some fruit for the custard we would having for dessert. I had gotten the bread ready, the whole chicken put into oven and was just starting on the custard when Minhee screeched had screeched in annoyance at having her sipper kept away fromher reach. Appa must have left it there when he went out. And being the little bully my sister is, she was still in her one of little tantrums. As a result I had to spend my dessert making time in calming her down and distracting her. Just as I was about to start whipping the eggs, the bell rang. Cursing silently for not having a single, peaceful moment, I yanked the door open.

"Ma".

Oh dear. Someone mix me and make me disappear in the custard. Jung was looking..uh.., he was looking really good. And I mean really, really good. Like -Brad-Pitt-coming-out-of-the-shower-sort of good. Holy baby Jesus. And I wasn't even a Christian.

"Merry Christmas. Aren't you going to let us in? It's freezing",he said. I stared at hijm stupidly. I must be looking stupid too, with bits of dough stuck on my apron and basting butter smeared on clothes.

"I..uh..oh. Right. Come on in", I said, avoiding his eyes. And baby Min was a good distraction. He was trying to the stains of melted chocolate that had stuck to my shirt collar. I put him beside Minhee in her playpen and the two babies sized up each other like wrestlers do in an arena before showdown. After glaring at each other, Min rolled over his back and started his foot, fascinated by the ceiling. Minhee stuck up her nose and crawled to a much used, tattered rabbit. I didn't want to imagine how they would be when they grew up.

I was starting back towards my still unstarted custard when Jung stopped me. I saw his thumb reach the corner of my mouth and almost became cross-eyed as I tried to see. He took away his thumb and it. I was frozen.

"Chocolate", he said, grinning and turning to admire a few ink paintings my mother used to do. I was still frozen on the spot, the many things going through my overworked brain. Jung just touched my lips with his finger and it? He. Just. Touched. My. Mouth. With. His. Thumb. And. . It.

I was thankful I didn't lose my way into the kitchen.

                                                                                                         -x-x-x-

"So Yunho, I hear from Jaejoong that you bring up your brother alone?", appa asked, as we ate. I glanced at Yunho, and he seemed calm and composed. As it would have led to a thousand question if I had told that Yunho found Min, I had said that Yunho had lost his parents and left him and his baby brother alone. That wasn't a complete lie, was it?

"Yes sir. I look after Changmin", he said and I cricked my neck as I whipped it towards him. Chagmin who?

"Changmin is it? Wonderful name. Jaejoong always called your brother as 'Min'", appa said and I stared accusingly at Yunho. Changmin? Really? When did he pick up the name? Why didn't he tell me? I felt a painful twist in my guts and a rising feeling of betrayal. I shouldn't be feeling betrayal. I mean we were good friends and what he called Min was upto him. Why should I feel sad that he hadn't consulted me.

"It's really touching to see a boy as old as Jaejoong take care of himslef and his brother. Your parents would have been so proud. When Jaejoong's and Minhee's umma, that is my wife, departed, it was so tough. But seeing you work so hard has moved me", appa said and I looked away, trying to swallow the painful lump in my throat.

"But I think Jaejoong is much more braver. I am inspired by him to take care more properly of my brother", Yunho said and the lump in my throat threatened to spill from my eyes.

And I felt my hand being pressed by a warm one under the table.

                                                                                                                -x-x-x-

"You will be fine, right? Or you can stay the night. Appa likes you already", I said, shivering slightly as I was on the doorstep with just a sweater on my sweats.

"Oh. Likes me already? Nice. Nice", Jung said, that annoying, know-it-all smirk back. I stuck my tongue as him. There was silence as I absentmindedly rocked an already asleep baby Min. Or Changmin.

'You didn't tell me his name was Changmin", I said, trying and failing to keep the hint of accusation in my voice.

"Oh that. I am going to keep him. So why not give him a proper name. Can't keep him calling Min. So was playing around with a few names. And settled on Changmin. I was thinking of Minho or JungMin. But it just didn't feel right. Changmin has a nice ring to it. Jung Changmin. Man, now that does sound very nice", he said, eyes lit like a little kid. I was watching him with a small smile and his eyes met mine. For the next few moments we were slent, lookin at each other and I realised that his eyes were a very nice, almond shape. Sharp and deep.

"He likes you a lot", Jung said, gesturing at the sleeping kid in my arms. "I should say he loves you a lot. He understand whenever I am going to meet you. I guess he thinks you are his umma. And you are like one", he said.

"I am a guy", I reminded him condescendingly. He just grinned.

"But I do think you are like a mother. Caring and warm. A bit strict too, i would say", he said.

"And what are you? A father?", I murmured to myself, but got heard. He looked at me with a very odd, very deep look that sent me scattering my senses. There was an unspoken something hanging and neither moved to clear it. And it was left as it was.

"It's getting late", he said and I gave the kid back to him. I watched him cover Min's head to avoid cold air hitting him on the ears, a look a curious fondness on his face. Jung will definitely make a good father.

"Well, see you around, Ju-oh", i said as my eyes went to a cluster of white shrub hanging overhead. I should punish myself later. But Jung had noticed it too and I cringed inwardly at his knowing smirk.

"Mistletoe", he said, as if stating a fact while I kicked myself mentally. How could I have put it in my decoration shopping? Drat that Junsu for not letting me pay attention to the shopping. I reluctantly turned to look at the amused face of Jung. My god, it should be illegal for anyone to look be so good-looking. My vocal cords and brain suddenly decided they needed a Christmas vacation and left me opening and closing my mouth like a retard.

'You do know what they say about getting caught under mistletoe. Especially on Christmas", Yunho said, gaze boring through mine. Why am I not a chameleon? I just wanted to disappear.

"Don't you, Jaejoong?", he whispered and I shivered, rather pleasantly to my dismay, at the sudden huskiness in his voice. I willed myself not to melt as I felt myself grow hot under his steady gaze. He will become a good lawyer too. That gaze will make even the non criminal people spill their secrets.

"I..uh..oh..yeah", I said lamely. Should have definitely asked to be chameleon as a Christmas gift. He had to look away or I would have definitely become  apuddle. But when I looked up, I was surprised at the proximity of Jung and would have tumbled in my haste to step back, had not Jung caught me by my waist.

Oh holy mother of the baby whose birth we are celebrating today, save me.

"So what do we do now, Jaejoong?", he said in that same deep voice. He should stop saying my name in that voice.

"I, um, don't know?", I said, looking at the lampost on the street. He tightened his hold around my waist. Now I was really trapped and looked back into the bottomless pits. His face was so close that I could see the exact colour of his eyes, the way his skin had curled around the scar under his left eye, the shape of the mole above his lips. Then the wonderful cupid shaped lips-?..oh God, Jaejoong! Focus!. But before I could scold myself, Jung leaned more so that our noses almost touched.

"Shall I show you what is to be done when two people are caught under mistletoe?", he said, voice dropping to a hiss.

And closing the distance.

                                                                                                                      -x-x-x-

 

Hello people.

Yes. Yes. An update after months. Hope you haven't  abandoned me..><

Happy reading.