Friends

Milk Chocolate and Dark Kisses

   Min Jung sat at a table by herself, drawing and coloring colorful shapes on a poster sheet of paper. She hummed, thinking of what she should write as a message for Luhan on the drawing. Another girl approached her, one of her friends and sat down next to her. She opened her own pack of crayons and peeked a look at Min Jung's drawing. She was devastated that hers wouldn't be any better, because after all, Min Jung was known to be the best artist in their class.

 

"Min Jung, how do you draw so good?"

 

She stopped for a second, finally realizing that her friend was there. She thought, her little pointing finger under her chin and her eyes to the sky. "I'm not sure. I just draw what I see..." In reaction to that, her friend nodded, discouraged by the fact that her friend didn't even have to try to be good. "But don't worry Ji Eun, if you really want to get better at drawing, you just have to try harder. If you do the same thing forever, you can never progress. I believe you can draw great!"

 

Ji Eun smiled and hugged her sideways. Min Jung returned the hug, and when they separated, they both began to draw.

 

"Min Jung-ah, Ji Eun, we have to go now. Your parents are all here," said the teacher, her voice softly coaxing them from their inspiration. Only when she said that, did the two remember why they were dressed up so nice. Their school ceremony for the sixth graders to advance on to middle school was happening and every class would perform a little something for the school. She looked at the drawing. Quickly writing Luhan's name at the top, she got up and Ji Eun followed. They followed the other students behind their teacher. Min Jung's ponytail swayed as she skipped in her mint green dress. Ji Eun, who was walking behind, copied her and as they kept walking, there seemed to be more and more people.

 

"Sorry, please excuse us. The first graders are coming through," said the teacher to the guests just coming in. They moved aside, leaving an aisle for the little kids to walk into the auditorium, while adoring smiles littered their faces. Min Jung quickly scanned the crowd for her father and when she saw the tall male in a neat black suit standing near the back, she jumped up and waved. Sehun, who had his eyes on her the moment she entered the room, waved back and did a little heart with his hands towards her. Min Jung returned the affection, using her arms for her heart. She sat down next to Ji Eun and another classmate as other students entered the auditorium.

 

"Min Jung, is that your dad? I heard the teachers say that he's really handsome." Said Ji Eun, slightly blushing.

 

"Yeah, a lot of girls like my dad. But my dad likes someone else," she said matter of factly.

 

"Who?" Asked Ji Eun, genuinely curious. Min Jung turned back to look at her father and noticed he seemed to notice someone else. Walking towards Sehun was Luhan, wearing a neat white button up and black slacks.

 

"My dad likes Luhan...he just doesn't know yet..." She continued looking at the two, and when Sehun pointed towards Min Jung's direction, Luhan immediately turned around and searched for her. When his eyes laid on her, he waved and she waved back enthusiastically. She tapped Ji Eun, who was facing forward, on the shoulder.

 

"Make a heart for me! Luhan needs a very big heart!" Ji Eun nodded, just happy for interaction with her only friend. She turned towards Min Jung's dad, noticing that there was now someone else there too. She made the other heart with her arms, connecting them to Min Jung's. They smiled as they saw Sehun scramble his camera out of his pocket. He snapped pictures and Luhan laughed. He poked Sehun in the shoulder and said something to him. Min Jung was hoping. And that's exactly what they did back. Sehun and Luhan raised their arms to form a heart back at the two and smiled. After a few giggles, they broke apart and sat down.

 

"Min Jung...its okay if you have two daddies...right?"

 

 Min Jung looked at her and smiled, " Of course it is Ji Eun! Why wouldn't it?"

 

She looked at her feet, swaying in mid-air. "Well...because my neighbor always screams and shouts at my daddies when we leave for school. It's not wrong right? My daddies always look sad..."

 

Min Jung hugged her and smiled. "Two daddies are sometimes better than a mommy who hurts a daddy and doesn't love him..." Ji Eun smiled, as if finally understanding.

 

"Ah! I see!"

 

Min Jung smiled and nodded, their attention turning up ahead as the principal finally began to talk.




 

Min Jung shouted her farewells to Ji Eun as she did the same. Her feet then broke out into a quick run towards Sehun and Luhan. She ran straight into Sehun's arms and hugged the life out of his neck, nearly choking him blue. Then, as Luhan bent down to her level, she hugged him as well, with the same strength. When she let go, she held hands with Luhan and Sehun. They walked out, thanking the teachers as they walked past. The ceremony ended a little before six, the sun already beginning its setting cycle. As they got to the parking lot, fished his pockets for his car keys. And Min Jung chuckled when his trembling hands dropped the keys.

 

As he picked it up, someone approached Luhan from behind.

 

"Hey, can I please have a moment..." Luhan turned around and when his eyes laid on the familiar pink hair, he immediately hugged him.

 

"Minseok!" He released the hug and a smile adorned his face. "Oh my goodness! I've been trying to contact you for so long!"

 

The chef shyly nodded when he realized that Sehun and Min Jung were watching. A hint of jealousy in their eyes. "Well...if you're busy, I'll just go. But I do live around here, that's why I saw you!" Luhan nodded, realizing he was holding a bag of groceries.

 

"Sehun, is it okay if I leave for today? I really need to talk to him," he said, giving his best puppy eyes. He was honestly afraid that instead he would turn out looking ugly because he's never used the eyes on anyone before. But seeing how Sehun's cheeks tinged a hint of pink and his quick eye movement downwards, he knew he succeeded.

 

"It's fine...but how are you going to get home?"

 

"I'll be fine, don't worry." Luhan an nodded and watched as Sehun put Min Jung into the car, her eyes a bit sad, with the poster paper she had drawn for Luhan still rolled in her hands. She was planning to give it to him in the car ride to eat out. Sehun waved a bit sadly and before getting in the car, he carefully said, "If you need a ride home, don't hesitate to call me. Don't stay out too late either...it can get dangerous at night." With that, he got in the car slowly and drove away with a heavy heart. All of which Luhan was oblivious to.

 

"Holy crap Luhan, was that the Oh Sehun that you work as a secretary for? Holy he's handsome." Said Minseok, leading the way to his home.

 

"He is! But he's younger than us by a year." Minseok, suddenly realizing he had spoke to him as if they were on the same level was about to correct himself and apologize but Luhan spoke before he could.

 

"I like talking to you this way better than when you worked in the house. But I do admit, it's lonely without you. Mr. Thao is always busy now and all I do is sleep." He chuckled lightly, watching a little kid holding his mothers hand as they walked home. They passed by a park and seeing the many kids playing with their frolicking laughter made Luhan a bit happier. Spring was at its peak, and Luhan was happy to reconnect with Minseok.

 

" I didn't know you lived around here. I come with Sehun almost everyday to pick up Min Jung."

 

Minseok raised his eyebrows, carefully stepping over a large stone. "Is...is Min Jung his little sister?"

 

"Oh, no, she's his dau-" Luhan stopped mid-sentence, folding his lips in. He almost forgot that it was supposed to be a 'secret' within Sehun's close circle.

 

"It's okay...you don't have to tell me. I won't ask anymore," said Minseok, smiling. Luhan nodded graciously.

"Thanks..."

 

It was quiet the rest of the way to Minseok's house. Luhan took in the cute little White House, a pot of flowers adorning the windows and a small balcony on the second floor. Luhan smiled, because it looked small and cozy. Walking behind Minseok and through the gates, he noticed how the yard was extremely organized and clean, a little picnic table set right in the middle of the lawn. "Your home seems so cozy and clean!"

Minseok chuckled, "I get that a lot."

 

He followed him inside, taking his shoes off at the door. The inside did Luhan's imagination of what it would look like, justice. He looked at the frames of family, with a chubby version of Minseok in them, hanging on the wall. The walls were a porcelain white and the kitchen and dining area was plain, but extremely cute. He sat down at the table, turning his chair around to watch as Minseok put away the groceries.

 

"Oh!" Luhan perked up hearing the latter. "Luhan, perfect timing. Since you're here, you can be my judge! I signed up for the annual cooking contest. It's my first time but I want to try as well."

 

Luhan nodded knowingly and watched he pulled out other ingredients. "So, what're you going to make then?"

 

Minseok smiled. "Every year there's a theme to the cooking contest and this year, it's Southeast Asian foods. There's going to be reps from about ten different countries, all who has a large pallet of food and tastes and last years winner will be judging too. I'm going for green papaya salad but I'm unsure for my second round dish. Who knows, I may not even make it to the second round. Or even the third."

 

Luhan  smiled. "Don't worry! I'm sure that with your cooking, you will win!"

 

Minseok smiled and playfully rejected the claim. It became quiet as Minseok was concentrating on cooking. Luhan on the other hand, was anxious and his curiosity of what happened the night he was fired was killing him. A few more minutes of silence passed by before he got up the courage to ask.

 

"Minseok...what happened after he fired you and why exactly?"

 

Minseok stopped peeling the green papaya for a second before continuing. "I don't know if I should tell you. It was harsh. But before I tell you something, you tell me first. What exactly is your father? Who is he? No, the question should be, who are you?"

 

Luhan gulped.

 

No one has ever cared enough to ask. No one has ever questioned whether the Luhan they were seeing, was the real Luhan he wanted to show.

 

"I-I..."

 

It was sudden. But the memories come flooding back. 

 

 

.

.

.

.

.

AN//: I'm a lazy author but here's a quick update :'D Luhan's flashback coming up next! Hopefully you guys haven't forgotten the story yet OTL T.T thank you readers! I've been too busy with school...