Quit

Lost Power

 

 

Sooyoung heard Jessica's voice on the other side but she was so focused on thinking of what to say that she didn't say anything at all.

-"Hello? Is this Sooyoung?" Jessica asked.

-"Yeah, it's me" Sooyoung said.

-"How's everything?" Sooyoung asked.

-"Fine, difficult" Jessica answered.

-"Is Taeyeon near you?" Sooyoung asked.

Jessica had a bad feeling about this conversation.

-"No, she's in her room" Jessica answered as she looked at the bedroom door.

-"Good..." Sooyoung said.

-"I'm afraid-"

-"She's sick isn't she?" Jessica let out, cutting off Sooyoung.

A silence set.
Jessica knew she was right from that moment on. A part of her was breaking down and another just wanted to know if there was a cure.

-"Yes...How did you know?" Sooyoung asked.

-"I just...had a feeling" Jessica said. After her earlier conversation with Taeyeon...it was a bit curious, the way she was talking about herself.

-"Is it serious?" Jessica asked.

-"Yes and no" Sooyoung said.

-"So she isn't gonna die" Jessica said.

-"I see you catch on quick" Sooyoung said.

Jessica looked down, altough a bit scared her face remained expressionless.

-"She has Progressive Nonfluent Aphasia" Sooyoung said.

-"Basically, she will continue to do mistakes, speech will diminish to the point where she will go mute and her reading and writting skills may also suffer" Sooyoung resumed.

Jessica didn't say anything.

-"So you called me to say that I don't need to this anymore, that you've sent me on a fool's errand?" Jessica said.

-"Like I said...you catch on quickly" Sooyoung said.

-"I'm sorry, I can't quit on her" Jessica said.

-"Are you sure you want to do this?" Sooyoung asked.

-"You'll only be hurting yourself" Sooyoung said.

-"I know" Jessica said.

-"And you do it knowingly?" Sooyoung said.

-"I guess..." Jessica answered.

-"People don't save other people Jessica....people save themselves" Sooyoung said.

-"You're saying...that if Taeyeon doesn't want to be saved...I can't save her" Jessica said.

-"I know that...but, still, I can't quit" Jessica said.

-"She's...more than a person to me, that's why...I'll be here always" Jessica said.

Sooyoung stayed silent.

-"I...I just don't want you to destroy yourself" Sooyoung said.

-"Don't worry about me" Jessica said in a soothing tone, but inside...she was breaking apart.

-"Come to my office tomorrow, we'll talk" Sooyoung said.

-"Goodnight"

-"Goodnight" Jessica said as she hung up and threw the phone on the couch. She looked to the bedroom door.

Taeyeon would be sleeping...something that she too should be doing. She thought she would cry when Sooyoung started telling her...but now, she isn't sure of what she should do...cry, laugh...she doesn't know how to react, but she knows she's breaking up inside. The person she had always looked up to, she was more than a person, she was an ideal, she was her safe port, she was something else, she was a place she could visit, somewhere where Jessica felt, safe and relaxed and...
I guess there are no words to explain what she felt. But Taeyeon was just something else for her. And now, that idol, that strenght, would all go away, sooner or later. Taeyeon wouldn't be able to sing. Jessica started understanding Taeyeon's reasons for being the way she is, for talking to people the way she does. The thing she had dedicated most of her life to...was gonna be gone, and she had nothing else, nowhere else to grab on to. She probably felt scared, she certainly felt scared. If Jessica was scared imagine Taeyeon herself, how would she be feeling. Jessica sat on the couch, she put her legs up and hugged her knees. She stared at the floor, trying to mildly grasp the feelings and thoughts that Taeyeon could be experiencing, she wished she could ease it all, she wished she...could stop it, that she could cure it...a lonely tear fell from Jessica's eye. Rubbed her face against her knee to get rid of it. What could she do? She told Sooyoung she wouldn't quit but the truth is that she doens't know what to do, or what to say. When Taeyeon wakes up tomorrow, she doesn't even know how she will face her.

"I'm sorry to hear that you're going mute?" That's not a very nice thing to say.

What should she say, what could she say...
Nothing would make it better.
Nothing would make it go away.
She had no idea.
Jessica laid down on the couch and the TV. Taeyeon was there...singing beautifully to her as always.
She would never do this again...
She suddenly knew how Taeyeon felt.
Powerless.
Hopeless.

Taeyeon was laying down on the bed, she had been sleeping for a while but suddenly she woke up, she was thirsty. She got up and walked out of the bedroom.
She heard her own voice...singing. She looked at the TV. There it was...her. Jessica wasn't there? She walked near the couch to find Jessica asleep, tears streaming down her eyes, remote in her hand. What had happened? Why was she like this? Was it something she did? Was it because of the way she talked to her?
She warned her, she had it coming, she told her to leave and she didn't want to.
But...deep down...it was saddening, seeing her cry like this. Taeyeon walked to the bedroom and came back with some covers, she covered Jessica with them. She kneeled beside her sleeping face, Jessica was furrowing her eyebrow. Taeyeon was staring at her face, expressionless. She was pretty. She had to admit it.
Jessica suddenly started moving and furrowing her brow even harder. Taeyeon then started gently blowing over her eyes. She passed her thumb on Jessica's right brow, until she got this really calm expression. This was something that Taeyeon's mother used to do to her so she could fall asleep when she was younger and felt nervous about a stage. Suddenly, Taeyeon got back to reality. What was she doing? No, no. This girl, she has to leave, no. It isn't supposed to be like this.
She was an intruder, nothing else.