You Can Always Try

Lost Power

Jessica looked at the album in her hand...she looked at the TV.
She looked at the phone on the floor...
Looking at the TV she walked to pick up the phone she started dialing.
Looking at how beautiful Taeyeon looked on TV, Jessica made a decision, she was going to transform Taeyeon, she was gonna turn Taeyeon into the person on that screen...even if that isn't who she is now, she could eventually be that person.
Jessica put the phone to her ear.

Sooyoung was sitting on her office going through some paperwork, on the back of her mind were, Taeyeon, Jessica and Seohyun the mysterious doctor.
Although she was working she wasn't quite focused. Suddenly her phone was ringing. She picked it up.
On the other side someone was breathing heavily...

-"Hello?" Sooyoung said.

-"I won't quit" Jessica let out.

-"If you were calling me to quit...I won't" Jessica let out.

-"Are you sure?" Sooyoung asked.

-"No...but, I feel like I have to do this..." Jessica said.

-"I don't want you to-" Sooyoung was saying but was cut off.

-"I'm not forcing myself to do it...I'm gonna turn Taeyeon into the person she is on her music..." Jessica said.

-"Listen, Jessica, that person is who Taeyeon used to be...but along the way she lost her passion" Sooyoung said.

-"I kind of know...maybe, it doesn't matter, I'll turn her" Jessica said.

-"I won't be able to persuade you it seems...if you ever need to talk..." Sooyoung said.

-"Thank you" Jessica said.

-"Oh, wait! One thing...I need a key to her house" Jessica said.

Sooyoung was surprised.

-"I'll give you one" Sooyoung said.

-"Good" Jessica said as she hung up.



Taeyeon opened one eye...on her hand was the blue envelope that contained the letter.
She got up...something felt a bit off...
Taeyeon put on her slippers and walked to the door. She felt some movement...she opened the door and was quite surprised by what she saw.
Her whole apartment was clean...the dinner table that had a big empty bowl, said bowl was full of fruits. There was a slight scent in the air, or maybe two...
One was fruity...Taeyeon looked at the floor, it was clean, she could see her reflection on the white tiling...
This actually looked like a house...she walked to the living room the mess from before was clean, she put the envelope on the box and put it on it's place. She looked around, on the TV, was...herself, this one was one of her earlier performances, she wasn't even allowed to wear make up back then...
Taeyeon looked away from the TV...it was a bit embarassing. Although the house looked nice she was still worried about who did this...was this Sooyoung?
Suddenly the other smell intensified...it was food. Bacon? Taeyeong walked to the kitchen, she peeked inside.

Jessica?
Jessica was cooking with a smile on her face, Taeyeon looked at the table. Juice, Milk, Coffee, Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, and some assorted breads.
Suddenly her home was a 3 star hotel? Taeyeon went to the bathroom. She suddenly started washing her face and brushing her teeth but she stopped midway.
She furrowed her brow at her own reflection on the mirror.
Why the hell was she washing up? This was her house? Plus she was intruding, she already told her she didn't want her to be her manager, why was she back, and why was she using stuff in her house like it was her own? What the hell was she doing...? Taeyeon dried up and walked out of the bathroom, as she was passing through the front door she noticed even something else...a small bag.
Wait...that isn't what she thinks it is right? It can't be, she wouldn't...

Taeyeon walked to the kitchen again. Jessica was washing some dishes and pans.
Jessica suddenly felt a presence and looked to the door.
There she was....Kim Taeyeon.
Their eyes met, Taeyeon felt her heart do something weird, as if it had beat one less time.
Taeyeon looked up to Jessica.

-"What are you doing here?" She asked monotonically.

-"Breakfast...cleaning among other things" Jessica said straightforwardly and short.

-"Why are you doing this?" Taeyeon said, expressionless.

-"Because I don't have anything better to do" Jessica answered.

Taeyeon was surprised by Jessica's answer.
Jessica was surprised herself that she could give such answers but although she looked unphased on the outside inside she was breaking apart.
Taeyeon wanted to say something but she didn't have anything to say.

-"Sit, eat" Jessica said.

Taeyeon did as she was told. Jessica sat on the other side of the table.

-"You aren't going to eat?" Taeyeon asked.

-"No" Jessica answered.

Taeyeon started eating...
Jessica looked at Taeyeon from time to time, she was looking at Taeyeon pictures on her phone.
Suddenly Taeyeon broke the silence.

-"Pass me the hand" Taeyeon said.

Jessica furrowed her brow as she took her eyes off her phone.

-"What?" Jessica said.

-"The hand" Taeyeon said.

Suddenly she opened her eyes in surprise...
She put her hand on ...

Jessica gave her the ham without saying a word. She got back to her phone.
Taeyeon looked at her...without saying a word she kept eating.
At the back of Jessica's mind...did she got it wrong on purpose?
In Taeyeon's mind...she hopes she doesn't mention it.


Sooyoung was in her office when suddenly someone knocked.

-"Come in" She let out.

Seohyun came inside. She sat on the chair across Sooyoung's desk.

-"Hello" Sooyoung said.

-"Hello, about your phonecall yesterday, I'm only gonna tell you this because,  I think that someone close to her needs to know" Seohyun said.

-"Someone closer than me..." Seohyun said.

-"Is it serious...?" Sooyoung asked.

-"Yes..." Seohyun said.

-"It's life changing, but not threatening, it's more of a chronic condition" Seohyun said.

-"What is it?" Sooyoung asked.

-"Taeyeon has a case of Progressive Nonfluent Aphasia" Seohyun said clearly.

-"Which means...?" Sooyoung asked as she started bitting into her pen.

-"You haven't noticed how she makes mistakes all the time? Getting simple words wrong, how in her latest variety she misunderstood questions or seemed to not understand at all?" Seohyun said.

-"Are you saying...?" Sooyoung said.

-"That the disease is ending Taeyeon's career? Yes, it's what I'm saying" Seohyun said.

-"The disease presents progressive difficulties with the production and comprehension of speech and in some cases writting"

-"You said progressive..." Sooyoung let out.

-"Speech quantity will continue to decrease and eventually, Taeyeon will go mute" Seohyun let out straightforwardly.

Sooyoung got up from her desk and walked to the window, she looked outside.



Jessica handed Taeyeon a towel.

-"Go take a bath. You smell" Jessica let out.

Taeyeon was still surprised with Jessica's treatment...was this the same girl from before?
Jessica sat on the living room and breathed in deeply.
She has to be strong.