Negation

In Real Life

A/N: First of all, oh, my god! This story got featured!! Thank you so very much for such an achievement (it wouldn't have been possible without you, readers), for all the support you've shown for this story for such a long time (as well as for the patience you've been having with me), and also for the congratulatory comments. I feel like this chapter is not very rich in content or meaning, but I wrote it hoping you people would like it and I put a lot of effort into trying to make it good enough to use it as a giant 'thank you' for all the love this story has been receiving. I promise to do my best to update it more often, even though I've been getting terrible creative blocks every time I try to write it. Once again, thank you very much! :) Don't forget to comment and, if possible, please read my other stories as well. See you~!


 

POV ㅡ Taeyeon

"Mister, do you understand that your article can be considered a slander and that I can sue you if you don't take it down, or at least make another to clarify the first?" Sooyoung spoke angrily on the phone. "Do you want to know about Taeyeon's private life? Fine, I'll tell you about it. She is not dating anyone, she and Tiffany Hwang are just good friends, and Taeyeon is thoroughly displeased to see her name linked to such a lowly and false article."

I sighed and glanced at Tiffany, sitting beside me. Her lips curved into a small smile as she looked back at me, and she took my hand in a gesture of reassurance. I glanced over Tiffany to take a look at Sunny. She watched Sooyoung attentively. One of her legs fidgeted rapidly, and her hand was clutching her cell phone. She was probably nervous. 

After the dreadful events from the day before, we managed to get to the studio safely and quietly. Tiffany and I decided to pack an extra suitcase to take to our trailers, so that we wouldn't have to drop by our places and take the risk of being mobbed by the paparazzi. We arrived at the studio by 5:30 in the morning, after a not very peaceful night of sleep. Sooyoung and Sunny had spent the whole night studying the articles that seemed to keep multiplying every minute and gathering the phone numbers of everyone they would have to talk about to alleviate the situation, as well as to try to debunk the allegations about Tiffany and I once for all, although they were true. Tiffany said the little sleep she had gotten had been fitful and restless. I was too angry and worried to sleep. We were all drained.

"Yes, I know there are plenty of other articles circulating, but I'm aware you started the whole mess," Sooyoung insited. 

There was a small pause.

"I don't care what Taeyeon's neighbors told you. I am the one you are supposed to talk to about anything regarding Taeyeon Kim's life, sir. I am her manager, and I'm telling you the allegations found in your article are preposterous and ungrounded, and we want them either gone or publicly debunked through another article." Another pause. "No, you have nothing. All you have is the word of people Taeyeon can't even say she knows. The press has nothing on Tiffany and her. No pictures, no rumors, nothing. All you have is unfounded speculation."

That was true. The press had nothing on us, no picture of anything they could claim to be a real date, no compromising moments captured either. Tiffany and I had always been extremely careful. Sooyoung must have felt relieved to take that into consideration. She looked so stressed I was beginning to feel genuinely bad. 

"The son of a ," I heard Sunny mutter. "I know where this is going," she said, and got up. Tiffany and I watched her with puzzlement.

She walked toward Sooyoung and then laid a hand on the latter's shoulder. "Sooyoung, hang up, we need to talk," she said to her.

Sooyoung turned around with a clenched fist and glanced at Sunny. The two looked at each other for a few seconds and after that, with a defeated sigh and a nod, Sooyoung resumed to talking to the man on the phone.

"Listen to me, sir. I'll give you a couple of hours to try to change that intractable attitude of yours, but let me warn you I will not be defeated. I'll be calling you later," she snarled, then ended the call and put her phone down.

Sooyoung sighed once again and ran her fingers through her hair, shaking her head. "Nothing," she said, looking at Sunny. "Have you tried it yet?"

Sunny shrugged, then folded her arms. "I think I won't even bother to. Why would they appease to me if they're unwilling to do so to you?"

"God, Sunny, we need to do something to revert this situation. Cox agrees that this is not good publicity for the movie," Sooyoung said. Her tone sounded anxious.

Sunny bit on her lower lip and shook her head as she shrugged. "I don't know, Sooyoung. Maybe we should let it die down. As you said, the press has nothing against them. And dating rumors are the most common thing in this business."

"But if we don't deny it, they will accept it as a possible truth."

"And if we sound too desperate to deny it right away, they will accept it as the truth," Sunny retorted.

Sooyoung buried her face in her hands for a few seconds. Tiffany clenched my hand as we watched our managers.

"Sunny, honestly--"

"Honestly, Sooyoung, were we dealing with a situation in which they had pictures of Taeyeon and Tiffany or something, I would understand your despair, but they don't. These guys won't neither take their articles down nor write another contradicting themselves unless we give them money, and I think we don't need to resort to such extreme measures right now," Sunny said, cutting her off. 

"Do you realize there isn't a way out, then?"

"There is, it's just not this one."

"Sunny, please," Tiffany chimed in. "We need to do something about this. I feel awful. Even Martin is uncomfortable with this situation, and I don't want Taeyeon and I to be the reason why the film fails or receives bad publicity. We've been working too hard for this. What if we just bribe them all and stick to the plan of removing or debunking the articles?"

"Tiff, calm down," Sunny responded as she turned to Tiffany. "Trust me. The situation is not all that bad."

"Not all that bad? They mobbed in front of Taeyeon's house! It's not only bad, Sunny. It's dangerous. We were lucky they didn't release any actual pictures of her house."

"That's true, but still, it's not that bad. There's nothing truly worth bribing them for. As Sooyoung said, all they have is the word of Taeyeon's neighbors," Sunny insisted, trying to calm Tiffany down, but it didn't seem to work very much. I leaned over and kissed her cheek when I heard her sigh and saw her preoccupied face.

"But surely there must be something we can do to at least try to help this whole thing to blow over," Tiffany remarked.

Sunny went silent for a minute. Sooyoung sat quietly in the corner, rubbing her forehead and temples. I hated to see her that way because of me.

"We'll give them exactly what they want," Sunny finally spoke again. "And it will all be up to you two," she said, pointing at Tiffany and me.

Our eyes shot up, directing themselves at her. 

"I'm sorry?" I said.

"If you two show genuine concern regarding this matter, they will know you have something to hide. So let's do the opposite. Act unpreoccupied. Keep interacting with each other the way you did on Wendy's show. Post pictures together on the internet, videos, whatever, and remember to use the word 'friend.' Walk around the studio linking arms or hug each other and let someone photograph you and leak the pictures, or take one yourselves of you both getting cozy and post it to Twitter, Instagram, I don't know," Sunny explained. "Just act like two affectionate friends and flaunt your friendship unworriedly. That'll do the trick. They will have nothing to speculate nor to be suspicious about if you two just show them it 'all' on your own account."

Tiffany and I looked at each other with a mixture of shock, amusement, and uncertainty on our countenances. 

"That's actually not a bad plan..." we heard Sooyoung mumble to herself, and veered our attention to her. "Not bad at all."

"Seriously?" I asked, incredulous, eyeing back and forth from Sooyoung to Sunny. "You two want us to literally put our relationship out there just like that?"

"Not your relationship. Your friendship," Sooyoung corrected. "And, yes, to be frank, I think it's quite a good plan. Also the best and most practical option we have right now. The media makes up rumors out of the blue, entirely ungrounded rumors, but they will always be ready to call to affectionate and sometimes suspiciously close women 'gal pals.'"

Tiffany arched an eyebrow. "We'll fall into the 'gal pals' category?" 

"Dreadful," I mumbled.

"Either that or this headache will continue and worsen," remarked Sunny. 

"Sunny is right," Sooyoung chimed in. "Either you two act like you have nothing to hide, or the press will hunt you down until they truly find out you do."

Tiffany and I sighed. Indeed, we had no other option. 

"Fine," I finally agreed.

"Tiff?" Sunny asked.

Tiffany nodded. "If it's the best we can do."

"Good."

"So it's settled for now," Sooyoung said, exhaling with relief as she got up. "We'll all keep a very attentive eye on this matter, alright? Do as Sunny said, but watch the public's response to those things carefully, and we'll study and manage whatever you two say or do before it goes to the internet," she added, pointing to Tiffany and me back and forth.

"We'll have to be wary of what we post on our own social media?" I inquired, rather indignant. 

Sooyoung approached and then crouched in front of me, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"Taeyeon, you know better than me how the media works. I know it doesn't sound like a very pleasant idea but, yes, I'm afraid you'll have to be wary of your own personal stuff, but remember it's only for a while. You're an actress, aren't you? We'll just extend your working hours for a certain period. Just until you and Tiffany can confirm your romance and shut those bastards up, or until we find a better alternative to get the press out of your asses," she said, looking me in the eyes. "Can you do that?"

I didn't feel like responding. My thoughts were rushing angrily in my head. I nodded, although I did not truly agree on anything that had been decided.

"Good," Sooyoung said, and got up again. "You two slip into your robes now and go get your makeup done. Filming will start by 9:30," she added, then followed Sunny toward the door and out of the trailer, leaving Tiffany and I alone. 

"This is nasty," I growled, holding my head. "I don't want to use your relationship like that. I don't want to have to expose us that way."

"Oh, Tae," Tiffany cooed, rubbing my back soothingly. "I don't want it either. You know I'm just as private as you are. I never thought anything about relationship should be public. But it seems like we have no option."

I looked at Tiffany, and although I was trying my best to stay calm, I was fuming inside. "That's," I began, wagging my finger at Tiffany as I clenched my jaw, "what makes me the most furious. The fact that we have no option."I got up angrily and began to amble anxiously back and fort around the trailer. "Had I known I would have to endure this sort of crap, I would have never chosen this career."

"Don't say that. You love your job," said Tiffany quietly as she watched me.

"Yes, but is it worth it? Does having my dream job make up for the fact that my life will always be exposed to the public, even if I try to conceal it?" I retorted, raising my voice a little, and sighed as I finished.

Tiffany looked down, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. "None of this would be happening if you weren't dating me..." she mumbled.

I felt my heart sink. "Fany, no. No, it's not--"

"It is. Your private life had always been a quiet matter before I came around," Tiffany said, cutting me off. 

I sighed as I sauntered toward her. I sat by her side again and cupped her face, locking my gaze with hers. "My private life was also very dull before you came around," I cooed, caressing Tiffany's cheeks with my thumbs. "I wouldn't trade what we have for the world. I love you more than anything else, and it is exactly because I prioritize us above all that I'm so angry at everything that's happening."

She smiled, and I smiled back, glad I managed to improve her mood. "I don't want you to prioritize me over your job, Taeyeon. Acting is your passion."

"Well, then, I suppose you'll just have to deal with it," I responded, and Tiffany giggled in response. I smiled at her and locked my lips with hers for a few seconds.

"Tae?" she called after pulling away.

"Hm?"

She smirked at me and began to slowly brush her lips against mine. "You look extra hot when you're angry," she whispered.

I smiled. "Would you like to see how angry I can get?" I whispered back, lacing our fingers together and pushing her body onto the couch with my torso.

She chuckled. "Not here and not today, you ert," she responded, straightening her back. "We have work to do and we're late already."

A small sigh of defeat escaped my lips as I watched Tiffany leave my side and walk toward the small wardrobe in the corner of the trailer. 

"We should take a couple of months off after we're done shooting the movie. Stay inside all day for weeks," I suggested, eyeing Tiffany's body as she undressed herself and slipped into a white robe.

"Doing what?" she asked absently, fixing her robe around the neck.

I bit on my lower lip and found her eyes with mine. "Unspeakable things."

"Oh, honestly," she responded, chuckling with amusement, and threw her clothes at me. "You outdo yourself in terms of lechery, Taeyeon."

I snickered. "It's not my fault you're that y."

"Right. I'm terribly sorry for that," she mocked me, rolling her eyes ironically. "Come on, you little beast." She threw another robe at me. "Get into that and let's get to work. We still have to talk to Martin about our decision. Save your desires for a more appropriate time," she said, and started toward the door.

"Tonight?" I asked, smiling excitedly.

"Bye, Taeyeon," she responded as she held in an amused chuckle, and left the trailer. 

 

 

Martin agreed on our plan, and accepted it much more easily than we had. Tiffany and I felt bad to see how nervous he was when we approached him to talk, but were relieved when he appeared much calmer after our conversation. The day at the studio went smoothly; nothing unusual, just we all working our butts off for hours straight. By the end of the day, Tiffany and I were so exhausted we could barely walk properly. It must have been the first time we didn't wish each other a good night. I threw myself onto the bed in my trailer as soon as I entered it, makeup and all, and it didn't take me more than 2 minutes to fall into a deep slumber. The next morning, Tiffany told me the same had happened to her, and we both remembered the day before as a blur, save from all that morning stress.

Days passed, then weeks, and things seemed to quieten. We had been actively interacting on our social media, as suggested by Sunny and Sooyoung, and the plan did seem effective. The dating rumors surrounding us diminished considerably, and we only heard of it in the few occasions where we had enough spare time to scroll through Twitter and search our names on it for a while. 

March arrived allowing Tiffany and I to relax a little. Hard to believe, but we were almost done with the filming. February had been the most hectic month thus far, as we managed to get ahead of our schedule, which made it possible for us to done down not only our working hours, but also the amount of scenes we shotㅡwhich, might I add, we needed. We had been overworking ourselves. Martin began to worry when we began to lose a noticeable amount of weight. Fortunately, we managed to reverse the situation as our work load began to dwindle. And to compensate for the straining work we had been doing for the past weeks, Martin gave me and Tiffany the weekend of my birthday off.

"Can we believe we're going home?" Tiffany said as she finished packing her suitcase. "I miss Prince."

She hadn't seen him in two weeks.

"I don't think the trailers are that bad," I said, sitting on her bed as I watched her. 

"No, they aren't. They aren't bad at all, actually. It's just... I miss the comfort and the privacy of my own home. I miss my dog, my bed, my bathroom. I..." Tiffany trailed off, and smirked as she looked at me. She closed her suitcase and walked toward me, then perched on my knees and threw her arms around my neck. "I miss welcoming you into the house at 3 in the morning because you felt too lonely and sad to sleep on your own..." she whispered, and placed a lingering kiss on my lips.

I grinned as I felt her sit on my lap, but my smile began to fade away slowly as I heard her last words. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her against me. "Tiffany, will we be able to celebrate my birthday together?"

She sighed, cupping my face with one of her hands. "I don't know, honey. I think we shouldn't take the risk now that things seem to have calmed down."

I nodded despondendly. "I understand."

There was silence for a moment.

"Well, maybe we could go out and have dinner together. That way we would both celebrate your birthday and stick to the plan Sunny and Sooyoung have assigned to us," she proposed.

"I was hoping for a more private celebration," I said, squeezing her body against mine. "Our schedule here has been frantic for the past weeks, Fany. I can barely remember the last time we had a decent alone time."

Tiffany stared at me for a few seconds, then sniggered. "My, you are a little ert."

"I'm not talking about that," I said, shaking my head. "I'm talking about simply being alone with you. You and I on your couch, a glass of wine in hands, watching television or reading our fans' tweets, Prince barking at me, I sneezing at him, your head on my shoulder. No worries about paparazzi or having the world keeping an eye on us. I miss that."

Tiffany pouted. "I miss that too," she crooned, then kissed me again. I kissed her back, and held her in place when she tried to pull away from the kiss. I felt her smile against my lips. 

"Here's what we're going to do," she breathed against my lips as our noses brushed. "We'll wait until it's really late into the night, and then you and I will head to my place. As far as I know, the paparazzi haven't mobbed there yet. We'll ask Sunny to stock food and we'll stay there until we have to return, and we'll celebrate your birthday alone, with all the windows closed, just you and I. How does that sound?"

I smiled brightly and nodded my head with excitement. "Just wonderful."

Tiffany smiled back at me. She rubbed her thumb against my cheek softly, caressing it. I closed my eyes as I felt her touch. "I love you, Taeyeon," she whispered, and I could feel her eyes on me.

I brought my lips to hers once again, pressing them tightly against each other. "And I you," I replied. 

I lay down and brought Tiffany with me. Her head rested on my chest, and I tangled my fingers into her hair, brushing her locks gently. For a couple of minutes, all we could hear was the sound of your breathings. She felt warm and cozy against my body, and I was at peace as I held her.

"Fany?" 

She just hummed in response.

I did my best to retain the sound of the deep breath I took. "Would you consider... living together? With me? Living with me?"

The silence that followed my question was suffocating. Only after a few seconds did Tiffany begin to react, propping herself on her elbow as she turned to me. 

"Living with you?" 

I looked at her, then averted my gaze. Slowly, my hands began to withdraw from her body, and I joined my nervous fingers as I looked at them. "I know it's a big step, and it's okay if you don't want to do it. It's just a question, anyway. I'll be fine if you say no. It's just that..." I exhaled soundly, closing my eyes for a moment. "Things feel so empty when you're not around, and so comfortable when you're close by. I'd like to have you by my side. You know, go to sleep and wake up every day with you and all those cheesy stuff. Breakfast together in our underwear and all. A routine and a real life together. I'd like that," I said timidly, still unable to glance at Tiffany. 

Tiffany took yet another few seconds to respond before she finally asked, "Taeyeon, are you kind of proposing to me?"

"No! I--" I sighed and shook my head. "Oh, never mind. I went a bit overboard, I'm sorry."

"Oh, Tae," Tiffany cooed as she chuckled. She took my hands and laced our fingers together, then kissed me. "Of course I would consider living with you. I'd love to."

I glanced at her and grinned when I saw her heart smile. "Would you really? Isn't it too soon?"

She shook her head. "Not for me, no. Although you know we can't do it right away, don't you? Not until we can disclose our relationship."

"But after that?"

"After that I am willing to pack my bags."

I smiled gleefully and peppered her entire face with kisses as I took it in my hands. Tiffany's giggle as I did so was like music to my ears. Finally, I hugged her tightly, and after a final kiss, which I placed on her lips, I withdrew my face to take a look at the woman in my arms.

"I can barely wait until then," I crooned, brushing a rebellious strand of hair off of her face.

"Will we get a cat?" she asked.

"Why a cat?" 

"It's a cliche for couples when they move in together."

"What about Prince?"

"Prince is friendly."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Believe me, you're literally the only person on Earth he doesn't like," Tiffany explained.

"Why me? I've never done anything to him."

Tiffany shrugged. "He must be jealous."

Our attention was suddenly and forcefully caught by the sound of the door being pushed open, followed by Sunny's voice. "Tiffany, are you ready?" she asked as she entered the trailer.

Tiffany looked at me and then sat up on the bed. "We're not going now, Sunny."

"What?" Sunny asked as she stared confused at us. "Why not?"

"Could you or maybe Sooyoung pick us up and drive us to my place at, say, 4:30 in the morning? Taeyeon and I want to be together this weekend," Tiffany asked.

Sunny gave us a grave look. "Honestly, Tiff, I don't think that's a good idea..."

"Just this once? Please? We deserve it, Sunny. Besides, it's Taeyeon's birthday the day after tomorrow. We'll be careful. The paparazzi haven't shown any interest in my place yet. Please? Pretty please?" Tiffany implored, almost in whines.

Sunny rolled her eyes then sighed, finally giving in. "Fine. Just this once. But 4:30 is too late. Be ready at 4. And in case anything goes wrong, don't say I didn't tell you!"

"Nothing will go wrong!" Tiffany assured, smiling. "Thank you, Sun."

Sunny snorted, then left the trailer in quick steps. 

"Fany?" I called.

"What?"

"When we move in together, we won't be giving neither Sooyoung nor Sunny our new keys, will we?"

Tiffany chuckled, and instead of responding she just wrapped her arms around me and tackled me onto the bed. I smiled contently and closed my eyes as I felt her lips approaching mine.