Family Is The Greatest Gift - Part I

In Real Life

POV — Taeyeon

I made a pause and inhaled deeply once again, trying to calm down my already pounding heart. I wiped my hands on my pants, trying to keep them from sweating nervously, and decided to speak once for all before I lost the courage that was already hard enough to gather previously.

"Tiffany and I have been dating for a month now," I announced and paused once again, gulping. I continued my speech before any of the three people sitting across the room could say anything, "I promised her we would spend the holidays together after she told me she usually spends Christmas on her own, but when I did so, I forgot I had promised you all I would finally come visit this year. I didn't want to give up either of the options, I couldn't... That's why I brought her here, it was the only way I figured out to be with everyone at the same time," I sighed. "And moreover, you were bound to know, I would have to tell you sooner or later before a stupid tabloid broke the news to you and quite possibly to the rest of the world too," I said as I finally eyed them. 

My eyes traveled through each member of my family. They were all sitting quietly, probably still digesting the information and thinking of something to say. None of them had any expression of disapproval on their faces, but their lack of words was making me start panicking, and I could already feel tears taking form in my eyes.

"I know it's shocking, okay?!" I said, almost as a whine, but still trying my best to keep myself calm and composed. "I know this is something a lot of people in this country still frown upon, I know it must hurt you a little my bringing a woman you don't know into your home and then suddenly telling you I'm in a relationship with her, and I acknowledge your right to be mad at me or upset if you want to... Just-- just please say something now, any of you. You know how anxious silent treatment makes me feel," I finished, burying my face in my hands.

The silence painfully remained for a few seconds until I heard soft steps approaching me calmly before a pair of hands rested on my legs. I discreetly yet immediately wiped away the tears that had rolled down my cheeks and slid one my hands through my hair to fix it, only to look down and see my sister comfortably kneeling in front of me.

"Are you really dating Tiffany, unnie?" she frowned a bit.

I nodded.

I was expecting Hayeon to feel crept out, disgusted, or something like that, but I was entirely surprised by the sight of her frown turning into one of the bright and pretty smiles she would give someone when she was happy, or when that someone made her happy. I was about to cry once again, now right in front of her, until I watched her get up and felt her arms thrown around me in a comfortable hug that I readily returned.

"She's good, unnie. I know she is. You both are and you're going to be happy together," Hayeon muttered warmly. I could feel my cheeks burn with the tears rolling down once again as I hugged my sister.

She, however, heard my muffled sniffs and let go of me, taking my face in her hands and smiling at me once again as she wiped away the few strands of hot water on my face. "Don't cry. You're the best unnie in the whole world, did you know that?" She chuckled, "How cool it is that you somehow managed to make Tiffany Hwang part of our family, unnie?" 

I chuckled and finally smiled heartedly at Hayeon. I was about to respond when I noticed my mom making her way towards us and sitting right beside of me, gently touching my arm as a comprehensive smile took form on her lips. "Taengoo... I'm not going to lie, what you just told us is not something we would expect or that is very natural in our eyes. But tell me, dear... Have we ever gotten mad at you for making your own decisions?"

I took a moment before whispering shyly, "No."

"That's right, we haven't," my mom protectively caressed my arm. "We raised you in a foreign country under a foreign culture for fourteen years, and then we left you there to grow and mature on your own as you made yourself a living. We were all bound to have different convictions, and eventually our opinions will clash, because our personalities were built very differently. But that doesn't mean we're going to be mad at each other because of that, dear. Let alone let that interfere in our own and individual lives. I'm glad you told us," my mother nodded calmly and gave me a reassuring, kind smile. "I'm not sad, I'm not mad, I'll get used to it and I will support you. I have my daughter with me once a year for a few days... I'm not going to let anything ruin my relationship with her in any way."

I let the tears roll down my cheek once again as I pounced on my mother and hugged her tightly. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe how kind she was being and how good she was making me feel, ebbing my nervousness effortlessly. There's something I have always admired in my mother, and that was her finesse when handling basically everything that was thrown at her. I, on the other hand, was born with a little less control over my own emotions, and would end up feeling anxious and desperate in any particularly stressful situation.

As Iet go of my mother, I looked up and spotted my dad approaching. I didn't know whether I should feel happy or nervous, at that moment. I knew my dad was the most conservative and traditional in our family, but I also knew the kindness of his shy heart and how well he would always treat me since I was a child. Even when I took part in movies that would make him say things such as, "Ah, I don't like to see my baby girl like that," he was always by my side, supporting my unconditionally. 

I just hoped it wouldn't be different then.

"Taeyeon-ah," he said, sitting down.

"Dad, I--"

"Shh, listen. You'll always be my beloved daughter, regardless of the decisions you make concerning your own life, understood?" he gently held my chin. "Your mother is right and I agree with everything she told you. We'll get used to it, even if it's hard, if it's about your happiness and well-being we're talking about. We told you we like Tiffany, didn't we? We like her. And if she makes you happy, we'll like her even more," he concluded, nodding. "And we'll welcome her in our family gladly."

"See?" my mom spoke again, making me turn my attention to her. "Family comes above all. We learned a lot with your open mind and heart as you were growing up, Taengoo, and we still have a lot to learn. We will always be by your side, even if that means we need to ignore certain things and beliefs that could come between us. You should know that."

I was overwhelmed with happiness. I didn't know what to do or who to look at first. I had both of my parents sitting beside me and comforting me in the best way possible, and my sister standing in front of us with a proud smile on her face. I felt happy and like the luckiest woman alive. They would try their best for me. They put me first and thought of my personal happiness and satisfaction when they could have just disregarded me. I wanted to say something after all the wonderful things they told me, but I just couldn't. I couldn't express in words all the joy that had taken over me.

"I'm just so, so lucky to have the family I have," I said as I smiled and pulled them all at once in a tight embrace, ignoring the small length of my arms and making sure everyone was getting squeezed in them. My smile only grew wider when I felt myself equally tightly hugged by all the three.

"We're always proud of you," my mom whispered, kissing my head.

 

 

 

 

 

POV — Tiffany

I groaned as my phone's alarm went off and I struggled to open my eyes.

I knew that was going to happen. Which was exactly why I had set my alarm clock when I woke up in the middle of the night. I didn't know what kind of problem my body had with cloudy, rainy or cold weather, but I just wouldn't function properly under none of those and I would always, always have a hard time waking up in the morning.

"Literally under the weather," I muttered to myself as I stretched a little. 

I'd usually be a bit senseless for a few seconds until I remembered who I was and where I was, even if I were in my own bed and in my own house. But I was reminded of where I was as soon as I woke up, even without opening my eyes.

I had never experienced a winter as cold as Korea's. I mean, maybe it wasn't even that cold, but for a girl who lived her entire life in Los Angeles, Korea's negative degrees at night and in the morning could be almost literally freezing. I was quite surprised there was no indication of snow, though. On the contrary: I could see the morning rays of sun beaming through the curtains of the room as soon as I finally gathered enough strength to open my eyes at, I checked my phone, half past nine in the morning.

I texted Taeyeon asking if she was already up and then headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I tried to move as fast as I could, so I wouldn't feel so cold after leaving the warm blankets I slept under. After I was done, I picked up some black leggings and the longest and most comfortable boots I had brought in the same color, and finished my outfit with the warmest sweater I could find. It happened to be a royal blue one. I've always liked to wear blue; although it's not my favorite color, people for some reason say it suits me well.

As I didn't really think I needed to bother with makeup, as soon as I was finished with dressing myself, I picked up my phone, expecting to see a reply from Taeyeon, and I found it weird when I saw nothing. Maybe she's still asleep, it's still early, I thought. But I didn't want to sit by myself in the room until someone knocked on the door to see if I had already woken up, so I made my way out of it, ready to greet the Kims.

The house was strangely quiet. It almost felt as if I were left alone in it. I furrowed my brows, trying to think of what to do. That was when I heard a distant sound that seemed to come from outside the house. 

It sounded like a... Sneeze?

Soon, I started to hear talking too. Instinctively walking around the house and trying to follow the sounds I was hearing, I found myself making my way to the backyard. As I pushed the beautiful white back door open, I found Ms. Kim and her two daughters sitting around a pretty table. Mr. Kim, I presumed, was busy with work or something like that, for I didn't see him there. Hayeon was holding something, and I could clearly hear Ms. Kim talking to her.

"You are returning it, young lady!" the woman scolded her. I started to quietly approach them.

"No! Mom, come on," Hayeon whined. "I don't want to return it. It's so beautiful and so fragile, I want to keep it, please. And by the way, it's a he, okay?!"

Taeyeon sneezed, and I couldn't contain a giggle.

Ms. Kim was about to argue back at Hayeon when she noticed my presence. She immediately showed me a warm smile, pushing her chair a little and getting up to give me a hug. "Tippany, good morning!" she said, letting go of me. I greeted her back. "Have you been standing there for too long? I'm sorry if I didn't notice you, it's just that this kid here," she pointed at Hayeon, "is giving me a headache. Don't ever have kids, Tippany, don't ever..." the woman said, sighing afterwards. I laughed before I looked at Hayeon, who was pouting dramatically. 

"Good morning, Hayeon," I said, smiling. "What are you-- Oh my god, is this adorable little thing yours?" I cooed, eyeing the black puppy that Hayeon was holding close to her chest. My smile grew wider as I kneeled down and petted it.

"H-hi, Tiffany," Hayeon grinned back at me. A little nervously, I noticed. Maybe she still wasn't fully used to my presence. "And yes, it's mine, but mom wants to get rid of it!"

"I want to WHAT?" Ms. Kim widened her eyes in shock. "Kim Hayeon, don't you speak about me like that! I don't want to get rid of the dog, but you just took it without telling me! Do you have any idea of the amount of attention and care a puppy requires, child? Worse, it's a stray dog, what if it has an illness? And what about your sister? Are you just going to let her sneeze like a crazy woman around the house until she goes back to America?"

Hayeon frowned. "I got him without telling you because I knew you would probably say no. About his health, that's what vets are for. And Taeyeon unnie... It's not Ginger's fault that she's allergic to dogs. Let me keep him, please! I'll spend all my allowance on him and walk him and feed him and play with him! I promise you he won't trouble you and you'll grow to love him."

I would giggle at Hayeon's words, if I weren't too busy gently caressing the puppy's curled dark fur with my fingertips. It was just too adorable. And for a stray dog, it really looked a lot like a dog of breed. A poodle, to be more specific. Maybe someone's poodle gave birth and the person didn't want the puppies, so they abandoned them and Ginger, as Hayeon said, was one of them.

"Oh, Ms. Kim, I know I'm no one to give my opinion on this, but... Let Hayeon have him. Look at this pretty face, he's adorable. Besides," I looked up at the woman, smiling politely, "they say it's good for anyone's health to have a pet. They bring happiness to a home and they cheer their owners up when they seem to be feeling blue."

Ms. Kim listened to me attentively, then turned her attention to the young girl sitting protectively with a puppy on her lap. She stared at the duo for a few seconds before nodding sternly.

"Okay. You can keep him, kid. But you must take care of him and I don't want to see dog dirt anywhere in the house. It's your pet, so it's also your responsibility from now on," the woman said.

Hayeon's eyes sparkled with happiness as she broke into a huge and pretty smile. "Thank you, mom!" she exclaimed.

I looked at her and smiled, winking as if I were her partner in crime. I patted her shoulder and got up. 

"Tippany, if this dog turns out to be a burden, I'm blaming you and I'm sending it to you in America," Ms. Kim said playfully and then chuckled, tapping a chair beside the one she had just sat on again. "Have a seat, dear."

I smiled again and nodded as I heard the older woman's voice, still eyeing the puppy on top of Hayeon's legs. When I looked up and started to make my way to the chair, I noticed a frowning Taeyeon with her arms and legs crossed. I smiled. 

"Good morning. Your sneezes brought me here," I said, not able to hold back my laugh. Hayeon and Taeyeon's mother laughed with me. I finally sat down by the latter's side.

"Why, good morning, Tiffany. I thought you wouldn't see me here," Taeyeon said.

Hayeon, who was sitting beside Taeyeon, eyed her sister and lifted Ginger, placing his paws on Taeyeon's lips. "I didn't remember how stupid you are when you're jealous. Last time you acted like this it was because mom and dad had given me your old toys because you no longer played with them, but regardless you didn't want to share. Now you don't want to share Tiffany with a dog?" the young girl asked, chuckling.

Share me? What--

"ATCHOO!" Taeyeon sneezed loudly. "First," she began, withdrawing her face from the puppy and rubbing her nose a few times, "shut the hell up, Hayeon. Second, please take your puppy away from me," she paused, rubbing her nose again. "He's beautiful, but he gives me a running nose and it is unpleasant."

I stared at both of the girls sitting across me in confusion, Hayeon's words running wild in my mind. What did she mean by saying Taeyeon didn't want to share me? Was she trying to imply something?

... Did she know something?

"So, Tippany, did you sleep well?" Ms. Kim asked, jolting me out of my thoughts.

I looked at her and nodded slowly. "Yes, very well," I smiled thankfully. "Thank you."

"Aren't you hungry?"

I chuckled shyly. "A bit."

"Why didn't you tell me, child? Come on," the woman said, getting up. Taeyeon and Hayeon followed her, the latter still protectively holding her puppy against her chest in a warm embrace. "I'll get you all something to eat."

"I'm not hungry, can I stay here?" Taeyeon asked. "I'm kind of lazy and I don't really want to move a lot."

"No. You too. By the way, Taengoo, you're a terrible host," I heard the woman say as I got up. "You might not feel hungry nor eat in the morning, but that doesn't give you the right not to feed your own girlfriend."

I tripped on my own foot when I heard that last word, and I would have faced the ground if Taeyeon hadn't pulled me back. Literally.

"Great ways to break the news, mom," Taeyeon said sarcastically as she helped me steady myself.

"What?" the woman asked, looking truly puzzled.

I could just stare at Taeyeon's mother and sister for a few seconds. 

"I'm--" I cleared my throat. "I'm feeling a little confused," I said, eyeing Taeyeon and cocking an eyebrow. "Would you kindly like to explain, Taeyeon?"

Was that really happening? I hadn't said a thing about our relationship to anyone, I hadn't even hinted on it in any moment... How did Ms. Kim know about me and Taeyeon? Did Taeyeon just tell her or something?

Taeyeon smiled apologetically. "I told them about us last night. You were asleep. Sorry?"

"Kim Taengoo! You told your family about your girlfriend but you did not tell her you did so?" Ms. Kim scolded Taeyeon. 

"That's a lot of things to tell!" Taeyeon complained. "And she was--"

"No, it's okay," I interrupted Taeyeon and looked at her mother once again. "I just... Feel embarrassed. I don't know what to tell you, Ms. Kim. I know it might make you feel uncomfortable, I didn't pressure Taeyeon to tell you, it was her choice and--" I choked on my words as I felt weak tears in my eyes.

"Child," Ms. Kim began, "don't worry." She took one of my hands in hers and smiled kindly at me. I sighed heavily in relief. "Taeyeon's father and I had a good conversation with her yesterday and I can speak for him. You're welcomed in our family and as long as Taengoo is happy, we're happy too. Even Hayeon was happy, she was the first to walk to Taeyeon and tell her it was okay," the woman said smiling as she looked at Hayeon, who was giving me a thumb up. 

As I got emotional, I let a few tears roll down my cheek but wiped them away rapidly, smiling at the woman in front of me. "Thank you, Ms, Kim." I looked at Hayeon. "You too."

"Had I known it would result in my idol being part of my family, I would have prayed to all the Hollywood gods for her to meet my sister as soon as possible," the girl said, caressing Ginger. "What did you see in her, though?" she chuckled. 

"I'm going to set fire to your posters," Taeyeon hissed.

"You," I said as I heard Taeyeon's voice and turned to her, pointing a finger at her face. "I'm a little mad at you."

"Okay, we'll let you two talk privately," Taeyeon's mother said, chuckling. I saw Taeyeon nod at her and then heard footsteps fading away behind me and, soon after, a door closing.

I was about to start complaining when I felt Taeyeon's arms wrap around me and her lips caress my own in short, but lingering kisses.

"May I know why you're mad at me?" Taeyeon asked, grinning.

"You kiss too much."

"And you talk too slow."

I sighed, resting my hands on her neck. "I understand your decision. Thinking through it, maybe it was better like that. I would probably feel awkward sitting next to you in front of them while you did the talking..."

Taeyeon nodded. "That's what I thought of before I decided to tell them on my own."

"But you could have at least told me after you were done! Maybe texted me saying, like, 'Hi Tiffany, I just told my parents we are dating.'"

"Sorry," Taeyeon whispered, brushing her nose on my own, "I was so nervous."

I finally broke into a smile, cupping her cheek with one of my hands and kissing her lips gently. "It's okay. You're forgiven. But wouldn't you like to tell me about how was it?"

Taeyeon grinned, whispering quite seductively as she leaned in for another kiss, "Later."

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: My initial idea was to write everything I wanted to write in only one chapter... But this part turned out longer than I expected, and as there's still a lot I need to write to wrap up this part of TaeNy's story and as I really wanted to update soon (I was very eager to show you this chapter), I decided to post it now, so I'll be dividing it in two parts. I hope you like this one because it is so far my favorite chapter for many reasons and I put a lot of effort into this. Please don't forget to comment and remember; this is fiction! And it's all for fun and for the sake of an enjoyable, light and entertaining read~ ;] No cliffhanger this time, a gift and an apology for you.