Moving On

In Real Life

POV — Tiffany

I sighed as I placed my luggage on the ground and stood in front of the Kims' house waiting for Ms. Kim to close the front door behind her. I needed to head to the airport, and the woman offered to take me after I had explained everything to her. I was grateful, and knowing I would have some company in my way there made my heart feel a bit lighter and warmer, although it didn't really change the fact that I was feeling miserable because I was leaving without even seeing Taeyeon's face.

I didn't even know when I'd see her again after that.

"Tippany, dear," the woman began, slightly embarrassed, as she approached me and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, "are you sure it must be like this?"

"She didn't even talk to me, Ms. Kim," I mumbled. "She didn't even leave her room all morning."

"She could be sleeping..."

"She's probably not, umma," Hayeon, who was tagging along and supporting her body on one of my suitcases, butted in, halting me from responding. "She's just being the hell she is when something doesn't go her way."

"Don't talk about her like that, Hayeon..." I cooed. The girl merely nodded apologetically. "She's probably mad at me. I understand, I did say some harsh stuff to her last night." I sighed again. "Anyway, I'm sorry I must leave like this, Ms. Kim," I looked at the woman as the three of us made our way to the car. "But I have no choice. Taeyeon may not be willing to do this, but I am. And so I need to go now. I wish I could stay more, but..."

Taeyeon's mother beamed me an understanding smile and nodded gently as she helped me place my luggage in the car. I took the passenger seat, Hayeon took the back one, and we both waited quietly for the older woman to enter the car.

"I understand," she said as she closed the driver's door. "I'm just sorry the two of you are going to part ways like that."

Part ways?!

"What? No," I responded, shaking my head. "No, we're not parting ways. Not if depends on me. This is just a silly argument, our first argument... And it doesn't--" I stopped for a second before continuing, feeling my cheeks warm up a bit, "it doesn't change the fact that I love Taeyeon. I'm not giving up on her. We're just... Going to be away from each other for now. But we'll make up, you'll see," I put on my best hopeful smile for the woman.

I couldn't say I wasn't hurt. I couldn't say it didn't hurt to hear Taeyeon tell me to leave by myself. I couldn't say her selfishness and childishness weren't painful to witness. I couldn't say I wasn't disappointed and a tad disheartened because she didn't go after me. But I was so tired of losing the people I loved that I, despite the pain, promised myself I wouldn't hold any kind of grunge against her. I didn't want to go any further with that argument, I didn't want to be mad or sad because of Taeyeon. I wanted to be with her. I was ready to forgive her and to give her all my free time and love once again. I just needed her to come after me.

I just needed her to show me she missed me as much as I already missed her.

"Then I hope you make up soon," Ms. Kim smiled once again as she started the car and drove off. "Let's go."

I nodded thankfully and looked back at Hayeon, who was listening to us attentively. I gave her a small reassuring smile, which she returned. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Thank you so, so much, Ms. Kim," I breathed out, as I hugged the woman tightly. "For everything. Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me, Tippany." She let go of the hug to look at me, taking my face in her hands affectionately. "Come visit us, okay? Whenever you feel like traveling or if you need some family time, come visit us. We've already gotten used to your presence, it feels like we've known you forever," she chuckled. "So do drop by. You'll always be welcome."

I could feel a comforting warmth growing in my heart upon hearing the woman's kind words, and I beamed her my best smile. An utterly sincere one, this time.

I was about to talk again when I heard a sniff.

"Oh, no. No no," I said when I noticed Hayeon crying discreetly behind her mother. I let go of the woman and crouched down a little in front of the girl. Short and petite like her sister, I thought. "Don't cry. Why are you crying?"

"I don't want you to go," Hayeon murmured sadly and wrapped her arms around me. "I want you to stay. I don't know when I'll see you again. I know I'm being childish and selfish like unnie but I really don't want you to go."

I felt sorry for her.

"I wish I could stay, too," I looked at her, smiling faintly. "But I need to go. I'll see you again, Hayeon. Don't worry. And when our schedules match... Taeyeon and I can even spend some days with you back in California and take you to some fun places. What do you think about that?" I tried to smile more brightly to encourage the girl to feel better.

"You would do that?" she asked as her eyes lit up a bit.

"Of course," I nodded and wiped away her tears. "So let's plan that in advance. When we're all free, you, me, and Taeyeon can hang out together. We'll take you to Downtown Disney, and I can take you to my place so you can meet Prince and play with him. You know about Prince, don't you?"

The girl nodded cheerfully, finally stopping to cry. "I do. Cutest dog in the world, right?" she asked, referring to one of the hashtags I tend to use when I post pictures of Prince on instagram.

"Yeah, cutest dog in the world." I chuckled and got up. "So don't be sad, okay? And... Promise to take care of your sister for me."

Hayeon hesitated a little, but ended up nodding once more. "I will." She took a moment before she gave me one last hug. "Have a safe flight, unnie."

I smiled sadly and placed one of my hands on the girl's head before she let go and I turned to Ms. Kim to say goodbye one last time. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

POV — Taeyeon

I hadn't closed my eyes for a second during the night. I managed to take a quick nap during the morning, but that was it. I felt like my energies were completely drained, and it wasn't even because of the sleep deprivation. It was because I was emotionally and mentally exhausted. 

The words Tiffany and I had exchanged last night kept echoing inside of my head. I felt angered for being accused of being childish and selfish--which I was, indeed; but my stupid ego and godforsaken pride wouldn't let me admit it in front of Tiffany, guilty because I let her go, didn't chase her when she left my room and hadn't spoken to her ever since...

And sad and very lonely because she wasn't there with me. 

I checked my phone and decided to get up when I saw the clock marking 15 to 1p.m. I sighed as I lazily dragged by body out of the bed. I wanted to talk to Tiffany, and I wanted to apologize. I wanted to tell her that I was stupid and we could work everything out together.

I just didn't know how to do that.

When I reached the door and opened it, I was surprised by a figure who apparently was about to turn the knob open and enter the room.

"Oh. Going somewhere?"

I snorted. "Hayeon, not now... I really... I don't feel very well, okay? Let me pass." 

"Where are you going?" Hayeon asked, folding her arms and blocking my way. 

"I want to talk to Tiffany, damn it. Let me pass!" I uttered in annoyance as I kept trying to walk away from my sister.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid you can't do that."

"What? Come on, Hayeon, work with me here. Stop wasting my time, I NEED to talk to Tiffany. Why wouldn't I be able to do that?"

"Because Tiffany unnie is not here."

I stopped in my tracks.

Could she...?

No. No. Please, no.

"... What?"

"I said Tiffany unnie is not here," Hayeon repeated as she pushed me, though not roughly, back inside the room and closed the door behind her as we both entered.

"Where is she?" was all I could voice.

"Right now? Probably already heading back to Los Angeles."

My whole body froze when Hayeon said those words.

I took a few steps back and sat on the edge of my bed, trying to steady myself.

"She left?" I muttered, feeling my eyes water. "Just like that?"

"Wasn't that what you told her to do, unnie?"

"I didn't mean it... It was..." I tried to speak, but choked on the tears that were already falling. I brought my knees up and hugged my legs. "It was in the heat of the moment. I didn't want her to go, I'd never want her to go. Why did you let her go?!" I cried out.

Hayeon scoffed, incredulous. "Now you're blaming it on me? What could I have done, unnie?" She shook her head.

"I DON'T KNOW!" I exclaimed, crying harder. "You could've told her not to! You could've talked her into staying here with us! With me!"

"STOP YELLING AT ME!" Hayeon retorted and I watched as she approached me in quick steps. "Stop crying too. Crying won't help in anything. Tiffany unnie is gone, she's going back to the U.S. and your tears won't change that. So woman up and do something to fix your attitudes, unnie."

I kept opening and closing my mouth repeatedly, trying to find something to say, but in the end I would just spill more tears and stare at Hayeon defeatedly.

"Really, what is your problem?" Hayeon said, placing herself beside me on the bed. "Your girlfriend has left while you're in bad terms with her, and all you do is cry and complain your younger sister didn't try to stop her? Worse, this all happened because you didn't want to refilm a movie? How old are you, unnie, 5?"

"Don't call me childish," I hissed.

"Honestly? Is that all you care about right now?" Hayeon eyed me as if she were judging me harshly. 

"I don't like to be called childish!"

"AND I DON'T LIKE TO THINK THAT TIFFANY HWANG LEFT OUR HOUSE BECAUSE YOU WERE A JACKASS," Hayeon retorted angrily.

I felt more tears aggressively streaming down again. "Oh God, Tiffany," I uttered as I hugged my legs even more tight and buried my face in my knees.

"For the last time," I didn't see it, but I knew Hayeon had rolled her eyes saying, "stop. Crying. It won't do you any good. Get your out of this bed and do something, for God sake. Just do something. Call her, text her, I don't care." I felt the mattress shift and looked up to see my sister walking away. She, however, stopped in the middle of her way to the door and looked at me again. "Just, really, do something. Unnie, she... She loves you so much. She told me what happened, you know. Last night, I thought she was sleeping here with you so I went downstairs intending to sleep on the room she was in because I couldn't sleep on mine doing to some circumstances. I was shocked to find her packing her bags when I entered the room. So I asked her what was going on and she told me about your fight, about what led you two to argue. And then earlier today I overheard her talking with umma about it. You're probably wondering why I'm here and how do I know what I'm talking about. This is it."

"What... What did she say?" I asked quietly.

"Not much," Hayeon shrugged, folding her arms once again. "Just enough to get the gist of it and to understand how much of a jerk you were last night. But you know what, unnie?" 

"What?" 

"Despite that, despite your bad attitude... She's willing to forgive you without second thought. I went with umma take her to the airport this morning, you know. And her and Tiffany unnie talked in the car. She was visibly, yet she kept saying things such as, 'We'll make up soon,' and she even made plans with me and included you right away. She was sad yet she was trying to thing positively because she wanted to be with you. She said she wouldn't give up on you. How can you hurt someone like that?!" 

I was unable to say a thing. I just kept crying, more and more, and let Hayeon speak. Her words felt like a thousand knives piercing my whole body and I wanted to scream, I wanted to tell Hayeon to stop torturing me and to leave me alone, but at the same time I wanted to hear what she had to say. I knew I needed to hear what she had to say.

"So, honestly, unnie, the only thing stopping you and Tiffany unnie from being back together is you. So, I'm sorry, but get your together and figure out a way to apologize. The flight from Seoul to LA is long, you know that, so take that time to think about something. Wait some hours and talk to her somehow. She doesn't deserve the pain, but I think you know that better than I do."

I listened to Hayeon's words and nodded faintly, burying my face in my knees once again. I heard a tired sigh followed by footsteps, and soon after I felt a weight being laid on the mattress behind me and a pair of arms embrace me. Hayeon hugged me tightly, resting her face on my back.

"Why are you so hard-headed, babo?" she whispered.

"You didn't--" I hiccuped as I wept relentlessly, "you didn't need to be so harsh on me," I managed to say. "I know I was stupid, but..."

Hayeon let go of me and gently held my arms afterwards. I adjusted my position and turned my body to face her as I ran my hands through my messy her, trying to calm down. 

"Trust me," Hayeon began as she wiped my jumpy and overflowing tears away with her thumbs and smiled vaguely, "you'll thank me later." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: I'm sorry for the short chapter~~ x-x but I had to update the fic! I promised this chapter would be out soon... So here it is. Maybe it's nothing special but it's a chapter that was necessary. I'll make sure the next one is out soon, too. Maybe tomorrow?! :D I'll work hard so that I can publish it tomorrow. I'm sorry if this was sloppy but I did my best. It might've felt boring because it's too short and not much happened but this was how I needed to divide the story in order to write the next chapter(s) as I wish to. Please don't forget to comment, it's really important because your comments keep me going with the fic!! Also it's really fun to know your opinions on the plot and especially on the characters, hehe. Hope you've enjoyed this one despite its plainess~~~~