Bet On It

In Real Life

POV — Tiffany

A month had gone by in a blink of an eye. It was December 21st, and the very last day of filming. 

Taeyeon and I had just finished our last scene, and when we did, all the staff that was then heeding our every little move clapped in ecstasy. We were proud of our job and happy to know it was delightful for those who watched us. Martin was the happiest one, and even from afar, I could spot these few tears running down his cheeks, his eyes looking at me and Taeyeon with pure joy, as if he were a father seeing his two daughters graduate in college.

Or, judging by how emotional he was, get married.

And speaking of me and Taeyeon, it was crazy how even closer we had gotten. We grew way more comfortable around each other, our friendship had strengthened. We liked to see each other as two best friends who happened to have romantic feels for each other. At least I know I had.

We didn't have much time to be together as much as we wish we could, in the past month. We grew busier and busier with the final stage of the filming, we were often exhausted and couldn't hang out nor visit each other. And to make matters worse, her house had been often surrounded by paparazzi. There were rumors about me visiting her, and then other rumors now based on previous rumors surfaced, and people only got more interested when pictures of me and Taeyeon walking into the set together were spread all over the internet. We didn't want anything to go public, so we seized ourselves, but it was only 'easy' because our schedule required that we did so. But in the end, we would get by with a stolen kiss here and there around the studio when no one was looking. Or when Martin gave us a break, we would just sit around somewhere looking at each other, as if we were trying to find something on each other that we, or at least I, had yet to find out what was. There was no awkwardness between us anymore, not when we talked nor when we touched or wanted to touch. And if I were tired, she would let me rest my head on her shoulder and then would warmly kiss my forehead whenever she had the opportunity to. I always took that small gesture as a way of hers to tell me, "I'm here." And that was honestly everything I needed.

What Taeyeon was giving me was something I never thought I would have.

I was already used to loneliness. I hadn't spoken to my family in years, but they didn't put any effort into trying to contact me either. The only person I had with me was Sunny and although we were great, amazing friends, our relationship still was mainly professional and she had her own family to take care of. And besides her, I didn't really have any friends. But then Taeyeon came along, made her way into my life, let me make my way into hers and suddenly became the cornerstone of the best feeling of safety I had ever had in my entire life. She became my family. She took care of me, she tried to cheer me up when she thought I was feeling down, she gave me hugs when I needed them, she never made me feel distressed, she never hurt me and I don't think she ever will.

I loved her. I knew I did. But I couldn't let her know, not yet. It was still soon, and I didn't want to scare her away.

Suddenly, Martin's voice echoed throughout the set and jolted me out of my musings. He thanked everyone and said they did a good job. I smiled. He was a kind man. 

As I noticed Taeyeon was no longer anywhere near me, so I decided to greet the staff members one by one to thank them for their hard work and wish them happy holidays. I shook their hands and they all thanked me for my words and congratulated me on my work. It was a warm exchange of gratitude and sincere good feelings, and for a minute I thought I would never have the chance to work with such good people again. I was going to miss being in that studio, everyone was nice, fun and we all made one another feel at home. 

Soon after, most of people had already left the studio. Only a few staff men were still there, finishing to pack their things. The set was going to start being dismantled on the next day, we were all dismissed. It was officially over, and the thought let me a tad down. I didn't really want it to be over, but I knew we would end up meeting again, someday. The movie was booked to be released next year, anyway, so we would all gather together on its premiere. I was already looking forward to seeing everyone again.

"Tiffany, dear, there you are!" Martin approached me with an excited look on his face. I smiled at him. "Shall we reveal our secret santa now? Have you seen Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Sunny?"

Oh, the secret santa! Martin, Taeyeon, Sooyoung, Sunny and I had agreed on making a little secret santa to celebrate our hard work and also the upcoming holidays. Elise and Thomas, the photographers, were participating too. They deserved it, they had been with us all along and boy, did they take pretty pictures. Me and Taeyeon had seen every and each movie still that was soon to be released, and they were impeccable to say the least.

"No, but I can look for them. I bet they're just lazing around in some room. Sooyoung's probably rambling about how hungry she is because she hasn't eaten in 5 minutes," I chuckled.

The man laughed with me. "Do that, please. I'll gather some chairs, we can exchange our gifts right here on the set, there's no problem. So, is your secret santa a good one?"

I smiled at him and nodded.

"Mine is the best one."

 

 

I opened the door to the dressing room to find the three people I was looking for.

All of them doing something on their respective smartphones.

"Now that's such a pathetic scene to behold," I said as I entered the room and closed the door. "Don't women communicate anymore?"

"Just a second, Tiff, I'm just finishing this Candy Crush level, can't talk right now," Sunny mumbled.

"We don't communicate anymore because my manager and yours are two nerds that prefer technology over people," I heard Taeyeon say and looked at her. I smiled and watched as she sat on the sofa, putting her phone down.

"I don't prefer technology over people, I am just reading a recipe blog. I don't know if you chicks know, but I prepare the Christmas supper every year," Sooyoung defended herself. 

I walked over to Taeyeon and sat beside her.

"Yeah, and this year she needs to really push herself. She's spending Christmas with her new boyfriend," Taeyeon told me then looked at Sooyoung, lifting her eyebrows and smiling teasingly.

Sooyoung just blinked her eyes a few times and smiled, covering her face with her phone. I chuckled.

"I didn't know you were dating, Soo," I said.

"Poor man must spend all his savings on her when they go out on a dinner date," Sunny said and burst into laughter, putting her phone down for the first time since I entered the room and making us laugh with her.

"I pay for my food, okay, dwarf?" Sooyoung rolled her eyes at Sunny's comment. "And actually, Tiff, we're not exactly dating... Yet. I mean, he's a nice and kind, gentle guy, but we have been going out together for just three weeks. But, you know, he has no family... His parents and grandparents are dead and he has no siblings. Considering that and since my family is very laid-back, I invited him to spend Christmas with us. And as I said, I cook the Christmas supper every year, so... Yeah, I want to impress him, I do. But I don't know very well what he likes or not, so I'm looking for the most generic Christmas recipes, I'm only used to cooking the same every year."

"Good luck with that. I bet it's going to be great," I smiled at her and nodded. "But hey, I came here to tell you, Martin wants to begin the secret santa gifts exchange. Shall we go?"

"Yeah!" Sunny said excitedly. "I really want to know who got me."

"Taeyeon," Sooyoung began, "if you got me, you'd better give me a very good gift, like one hundred golden bars perhaps, to make up to me for all the times I have saved your ."

"I pay you to save my ," Taeyeon retorted sharply.

"Then start paying me with golden bars," Sooyoung finished, making the rest of us laugh.

We each picked up our respective secret santa presents that were kept together in a small Christmas bag in a corner of the room. They weren't big, they didn't need to be. Everyone agreed on choosing something small but meaningful, so we could all take something from the other with us for a long time, alongside with fond memories. 

Sooyoung and Sunny had already left and I was ready to go through the door when Taeyeon called me, making me turn to her.

"Fany? Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I nodded and closed the door behind me before looking back at Taeyeon.

"Is there anything wrong?"

I watched as Taeyeon smiled brightly and put down her gift. She rushed to me and hugged my waist tightly before making me laugh out loud thanks to the ticklish kisses she was peppering my whole face with.

"Taeyeon, what is this?" I said between chuckles.

She finished her kiss attack with a gentle one on my lips.

"First of all, congratulations on being such an amazing actress. I'm your fan. You were brilliant all these months," she said, smiling at me while brushing her nose on my own. It only made my smile grow wider.

"Thank you. I learned with the best," I winked at her.

"Second... I want to ask you something. Actually, I want to tell you something," she said as she withdrew her face from mine, making me already miss it. "Do you remember how I suggested we spent Christmas together?"

I nodded.

"Are you willing to do anything I want to?" she continued.

"Well, you know I have no plans at all. I'm depending on you. Why?"

"Nice," she smiled again and let go of me, opening the door for us to leave the room. "I'm dropping by your place tonight to help you pack your bags."

... Pack my bags?

"Wait, what?!" I followed Taeyeon as she left the room with her present in hands, "Pack my bags? What for?"

"We're flying to South Korea tomorrow at 8pm. I've already booked your ticket."

"South Korea? Tomorrow? Just like that? What are we doing there?" I asked, still feeling completely lost.

Taeyeon stopped for a moment and looked at me again, smiling proudly. "You're spending your Christmas with the Kims, Tiffany. We're going to see my family."

My jaw dropped.

"Your... Family? Me? With you? Taeyeon, I don't think--"

"Yes, it is a good idea," she said as she took my arm and led me to where everyone was. "I now you're probably thinking it's to soon to meet my family, but..." she made a pause and looked at me for some seconds before shaking her head slightly and continuing, "Here's the thing. I spend Christmas with my family every year. They used to come to the US to see me, but that has been a little difficult for them to do lately, so I've been traveling to Korea during Christmas time for five years now. When I invited you to spend Christmas with me this year, I forgot I promised them I'd go see them. I didn't want to spend another Holiday away from my family, I wasn't able to visit them last year, but I just couldn't let you spend Christmas alone. And don't worry, I've talked to my mother and she said everything is just fine, my father doesn't mind it either. You'll see, Tiffany, they are such good, open-minded, warm people."

I found myself in a loss of words. I didn't know what to say, I didn't know how to react, I just knew I was touched. My heart felt happy. As cheesy as it can sound, it did. Taeyeon was opening a space in her family for me. She was going to take me to spend Christmas with her and her whole family like that, without asking me anything in return. She could have just told me we couldn't spend Christmas together because she would be with her parents, but no, she didn't. She is taking me with her because she doesn't want me to be alone. That would be the very first Christmas I would spend with anyone but myself in years, and all thanks to the amazing woman that was right in front of me.

"Are you for real?" I asked, almost as a whisper.

She nodded and smiled once again. "South Korea is a beautiful place during the winter. You'll love it."

I smiled heartly at her and and held one of her hands, wringing it and mouthing a quiet 'thank you' as we approached Mr. Cox and the others.

"So, is everyone ready?" the man asked. "Come on everyone, sit. Let's do something different. Instead of just going, 'Hey, you're my secret santa!' at each other, why don't we get up one by one and describe who our secret santa is? I may take the lead, if you allow me to," he smiled.

We all agreed on his idea and thought it was great. Everyone would hear nice words and remember each other with affection, I believed. I sat down in one of the chairs that were arranged in a small circle and Taeyeon sat beside me and Sooyoung, Sunny and the rest were all already settled.

Martin took the lead, as he had said, and made his way out of the circle so everyone could take a look at him and he could look back at us. He then started to describe his secret santa, who happened to be our photographer, Thomas. Martin gave him two boxes filled with beautiful camera ornaments for him and Elise to put on their Christmas tree. The man was so happy. Martin gift was the most thoughtful and sweetest.

When it was Thomas's turn to reveal his secret santa, we all shared a laugh. The person he was giving a gift to was no one other than his wife, and it was indescribably fun to listen and watch as he described Elise as the "most beautiful and lovely almost middle-aged furious beast he had ever laid his eyes on." The woman frowned, but she gave in when Thomas pulled her in for a kiss. They were a beautiful couple, and I found it amusing to see how the both of them worked together as the impeccable team they were while doing what they love. 

And then Elise's secret santa was Martin, who received a miniature statue of himself that Elise had her plastic artist friend do. 

"Oh boy, had I known the line would stop on me, I wouldn't have started it," Martin chuckled, when he realized me, Taeyeon, Sunny and Sooyoung were still left out. "Someone has to stand up now. Tiffany!" he called me, "Don't you want to start over?"

I nodded and got up, holding the present I had prepared. It was neatly wrapped in the prettiest blue wrapping paper I could find, with a white bow meticulously glued on top of it. I stepped out of our circle and smiled shyly. 

"So... My secret santa. Uh, it's obviously a woman, and... Well, she's been this wonderful person to me all along... And... Gosh, this is embarrassing," I chuckled and facepalmed myself, "it's weird to talk about her right in front of her because every time I do so I feel and sound as such a fangirl..."

Everyone chuckled at my statement.

"So, yeah, that's it. She is amazing and I only wish her good things, only the best. So... Taeyeon?" I looked at her and smiled, trying to hide away my shyness.

"Ah, seriously?" Taeyeon smiled excitedly, getting up from her chair and almost running towards me. I received her with open arms and she hugged me tightly. I gladly returned the hug.

"I hope you like it," I told her as I handed her the present I had bought her. "A tall, tanned bird told me it's the kind of thing you like to get," I said as I eyed Sooyoung, who was now chuckling and giving me a thumb up.

Taeyeon looked at me for a few seconds and smiled again as she opened the package I myself prepared. Her eyes and smile grew wider as she finished unwrapping the gift.

"A poetry book! Yes, I love it! Thank you!" she hugged me again. I hugged her back and squeezed her a little before letting her go at the same time as I failed to contain my smile.

I chuckled and slid one of my hands through Taeyeon's arm as I started to make my way back to my chair. "No need to thank me. Your turn now."

Taeyeon nodded and carefully placed the book I have her on her chair, picking up her own present that, surprisingly, seemed a lot like the one she received.

"My secret santa is... The easiest person on Earth to buy a present for. And thank goodness she is, because I'm terrible at picking presents for people," she said, making everyone laugh. "She is about this tall," she placed her hand on her own waist, "I met her a few months ago and although she seems cool and clammed up at first, I swear she's a nice and fun person deep inside, and it's very relaxing to be around her," she finished, smiling. And by the way, dear God, was Taeyeon's smile charming. "And I've been thinking about stealing her from Tiffany and giving Sooyoung in return in order to exchange managers permanently. So, merry early Christmas, Sunny!" Taeyeon said warmly, pointing her present at Sunny.

Sunny got up almost as excitedly as Taeyeon did when I revealed she was my secret santa. She hugged Taeyeon for a short moment and took ahold of her present, unwrapping it carefully.

"THE NEWEST ZOMBIE VIDEO GAME! I've so been wanting this since it came out!" Sunny squealed and, once again, everyone laughed. "Oh my God, Taeyeon, thank you! Really!"

"You're welcome," Taeyeon chuckled. "Enjoy it," she tapped Sunny on the back and sat beside me again, picking up the present I gave her. She smiled at me. I just discreetly winked back at her and smirked.

"All right, my turn," Sunny began. "My secret santa, she--"

"THAT'S SUCH A HUGE PRESENT. What's in there?" Sooyoung interrupted Sunny.

"Damn it, Soo, be quiet!" Sunny said, frowning, making us all laugh at her. "As I was saying," she cleaned , "my secret santa, she is one of the most fun people I've ever seen. She can be a little inconvenient sometimes," she eyed Sooyoung, who was now almost jumping up and down in excitement, "but she is fun. And she has this weird obsession with food, especially sweet food, so I bought her this. Merry Christmas, Godzilla!" Sunny exclaimed, pointing one of her hands at Sooyoung.

"YES! It is mine! It is mine! Gimme!" Sooyoung ran to Sunny excitedly and hugged her briefly, ready to tackle her gift down. She unwrapped it and under the pretty wrapping paper, there was a big box with a picture of an ice cream cone lamp.

"Oh my God! So cool! Is this really a lamp?" Sooyoung asked.

"Yeah, it is. It looks really nice on a bedroom. I have one myself, mine is white, but I thought the pink one would suit your personality better," Sunny chuckled.

"It's amazing! Thank you, Sunny!" Sooyoung smiled gratefully and hugged her once again. "Can't even wait to turn it on," she said, picking up the box and heading back to her chair while still looking at Sunny, "I'll send you a picture of it when I do so. I really like it! Thanks, dwarf! You rock!"

Once again, everyone laughed. I took a look at Martin, Elise and Thomas, and they all seemed to be amused at how the four of us would get along well and have fun together. I was happy to have welcomed Taeyeon in my life, but I also felt blessed for the friendship that had been growing between Taeyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung and I throughout all these past months. 

"Okay, I guess I don't even need to describe who my secret santa is, because it's clear that there's only one lady missing," Sooyoung started, obviously talking about me. I chuckled. "But, um... I do think she deserves to hear a few things. Well, Tiffany... You know I'm talking about you. I just wanted to let you know that you are amazing, you are such a professional and I like you a lot. I hope we can continue to be good friends... You already are a great friend. Thank you for the happiness you bring everyone, really," she smiled. "And please take me because I can't stand Taeyeon anymore."

"Quiet!" Taeyeon exclaimed. 

I smiled at Sooyoung and got up to receive my present and hug her. I hugged her tightly while thanking her, saying I wanted us too continue friends for a long time, too. I held the package she handed me and opened it, and a black, silky picture frame revealed itself. I looked at Sooyoung.

"I didn't know what to get you, but I've noticed how you value friendship and bonding, so I thought this picture the four of us took a few weeks ago would make a great present if printed. I wrote a message on its back, you can take the picture out and read it when you get home," Sooyoung smiled. "Did you like it?"

The picture was taken on a weekend I had spent with her, Sunny and Taeyeon back in the end of November. We all went together to an amusement park and it was such a blissful and fun day for all of us. In the end of it, we took the photo that was now in the picture frame I was holding. We all looked so happy in it. Sunny was smiling widely, laying her head on my shoulder. I was smiling happily while holding the camera, Taeyeon was laughing at all the silly things we were saying and Sooyoung was making faces at the camera. That day, we felt joyful and comfortable as if we had known each other since forever. It was like it was completely normal and usual for us to fool around with each other without giving a damn about what anyone would think. It was a beautiful picture, and an even more beautiful present.

"I love it! I truly do. Thank you, Sooyoung, it is gorgeous!" I hugged her once again. "I'll put it on my nightstand, I promise."

Sooyoung smiled again and nodded. 

Elise and Thomas got up and thanked us all for the great time, they said they had too much fun, but that they had to go. I and Taeyeon thanked them for their hard work with us throughout the film and wished them all the best. Martin did the same, he told them he was proud of everything they had achieved so far. After the photographer couple was gone, Sunny and Sooyoung excused themselves and said they were going to pick up our belongings to leave.

As for Martin, he took me and Taeyeon by the hands and led us to a small room, it was his own room. We had never been there before. 

"Ok, children, now please close your eyes," the man said as we approached the door. Taeyeon and I looked at each other before doing as we were told. We heard him opening the door and let ourselves be pulled in.

"All right... Just a... Yeah, everything's fine. Open your eyes," he said.

I followed his instructions and caught myself in awe when I looked at a customized, hot pink director's chair, that had my name on it. I smiled brightly at him before noticing there was another chair beside mine, but this one was black and had Taeyeon's name written.

"Oh my God, Martin, this is awesome! It is really for us?" I chuckled.

"Yes, it is. A little Christmas present for each of you and a way to say thank you for everything you have done. If this movie succeeds, it's going to be because of you two. You know, a director is nothing without actors to instruct, and there's nothing more delightful than to work with talented ones who make magic out of a simple script. You two are jewels, girls," he smiled at me and Taeyeon. "And I'm so sure you have so much ahead."

Taeyeon smiled at him. "Whoa, it's... It's the first time I get that kind of treatment from a director. You are the best, Martin, come here," she said as she hugged him. "Thank you very, very much. I really appreciate it, it was great to work with you."

"I feel the same," I said. "Thanks for everything. You were the best director ever, Martin, congratulations on that," I smiled heartly and mimicked Taeyeon's actions, hugging the man.

"There's no need to thank me, I wish you two all the best," he smiled again and held our hands. "Oh, goodness, I hope you two are so very happy together."

My jaw dropped for the first time that day and Taeyeon's eyes grew wide.

"How... Um... I mean," Taeyeon began.

"Oh, come on, girls! Do you really think I've never seen love happen on set before?" the man chuckled. "Besides, I'm a director. I'm an artist. If there's something I know very well, it is body language. But don't worry, I won't tell anyone," he winked.

Taeyeon and I chuckled in embarrassment and tried to somehow ride the redness on our cheeks.

That man was truly one in a million. 

 

 

As Taeyeon and I were making our way out of the studio while carrying our chairs after saying goodbye to Martin, I noticed Sooyoung and Sunny talking happily and waiting for us outside. I stopped walking and turned to Taeyeon.

"Tae," I called her softly.

"Yeah?"

"Should we tell them?"

Taeyeon stopped by me side and furrowed her eyebrows a little. She looked outside the huge door before looking back at me.

"Who? Sooyoung and Sunny?"

I nodded.

"Oh. Well... If that's what you want, I'm okay with it."

"It's not that it's what I want, it's just... You know, Sunny's going to ask me about my plans for Christmas, she does that every year. And if I tell her I'm going to travel with you or even that I'm just going to travel alone, she'll find it suspicious. And I didn't want to lie to her... But if you think it's too soon, then it's okay, I don't mind, I just--"

"No, I don't think so. Let's tell them," Taeyeon smiled. "They do deserve to know. Come," she reached out one of her hands. I just took it gladly and smiled back at her.

Taeyeon and I walked hand in hand out of the studio, each of us carrying our respective chair under one arm. I had come to the set with her in the morning, so I wasn't with my car, and Sunny came by herself. We put the chairs away in Taeyeon's car's backseat and made our way to where Sunny and Sooyoung were.

"Hey," Taeyeon called them, "we need to talk."

Sunny and Sooyoung instantly turned to us.

"We," Taeyeon pointed at herself, then at me then back at her, "are dating," she stated readily.

I looked at Taeyeon with wide eyes.

That woman's boldness never failed to amuse me.

I looked back at Sooyoung and Sunny and I didn't quite know what to think of their reactions. Sooyoung was staring at us, her jaw dropped, and Sunny blank a few times with a look on her face of someone who was trying to process the information.

"HA! I told you! What did I tell you? Didn't I tell you they were going to date? 'Cause I told you they were!" Sunny turned to Sooyoung and said eagerly, startling me and Taeyeon who were now looking at each other with the most confused expression on our faces.

"Now wait a minute, I told YOU too!" Sooyoung protested.

"Oh, hell no, you didn't. You said you thought it was nothing but the characters going to their heads! I told you they were ending up together for real, that I did. Come on, Sooyoung, my fifty bucks, now," Sunny said as she reached out her hand for Soyoung to put the money in it.

"Jesus Christ, am I going completely nuts or you two were god damn making your inner bets on our love life?" Taeyeon spoke up, raising her voice a bit.

"Uh... No. We were just... Observing you," Sooyoung retorted

I just facepalmed myself and shook my head slowly.

"Sunny, Sooyoung is such a horrible influence to you. You used to be such a good girl..." I mumbled.

"It was just an innocent bet, Tiff!" Sunny defended herself. "We had to find something to do while you two went all lovey-doveish with each other without even noticing. Besides," she smiled, "we're happy for you."

"Are you? Aren't you going to lecture me on how I shouldn't get involved with work colleagues? I know you've always frowned upon that," I looked at her.

"Nope. I'm all for it. I thought get involved with your workmates was a bad idea until I met Taeyeon and saw the chemistry you two had on and off screen."

"And how long has it been?" Sooyoung asked.

"A month," Taeyeon replied, still shooting the taller woman with her eyes.

"A month?" Sunny butted in, making a small pause before looking back at me with wide eyes. "Is that why you disappeared that day back in November? You were at Taeyeon's, you two got together and you slept over there?"

I was completely taken aback. "What are you, Sun? Sherlock Holmes?"

She shrugged, "My uncle is a particular detective."

"Well, anyway," Sooyoung approached me and Taeyeon, giving us a giant hug at the same time, "congrats. And I don't know which of you I'll kill first if you ever hurt each other, so watch out," she said as she let us go and chuckled, making us laugh with her.

I never knew it would be that easy for them to receive the news. 

 

 

 

 

"All done?" a smiley Taeyeon asked me as she entered the room.

"Almost. I just finished the second travel bag," I said, sitting down on the bed.

"Two bags? We're barely spending a week there."

"I know, but you kept telling me how cold Korea was during the winter, so I've supplied myself with plenty of warm clothes. But they are thick, you know. I picked 4 coats and a few sweaters, not to mention other stuff such as pants, tops, shoes, underwear... Of course my luggage would be fuller."

Taeyeon chuckled softly before making her way towards me and sitting by my side. "I guess I'm not used to carrying many things because I have all my winter clothes there."

I nodded and looked at her. Her hair was tied up in a lovely ponytail, I loved when she did that.

I smiled at her.

"Come here," I said as I grabbed her face and closed the gap between our faces.

 

All I could hear and feel was Taeyeon's low chuckle against my lips.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Who's ready to meet the Kims? xD
(Oh, and by the way, if any of you thought there was a little lack of skinship here, don't worry: I'll make it up to you. Hah. Soon. >:D)

Please do not forget to comment!