Chapter 41

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: Legend of the Blue Sea

 

      October 3rd, 2011

October 3rd, 2011


 

Popcorn flew halfway across the living room in the SNSD dorm, effectively hitting the flat screen TV. “Ezra, stop being a nasty piece of human being!”

The front door opened, the sound of clacking heels briefly occurred before undressed feet padded along the wood.

“Who’s nasty?” Sooyoung questioned, plopping down on the U-shaped couch next to Echo, who was curled up with a thin, pink blanket and a giant bowl half-filled with low-salt popcorn.

“Ezra! I don’t understand how these writers think it’s a good idea to ualize a teacher and student relationship in a positive light, it’s so ing disgusting!”

“What show is this?” the dancer asked, stealing some popcorn from the large bowl, not understanding a word that came from the TV.

“Pretty Little Liars, it’s an American show. It’s about four friends who had another one of their friends disappear one night, her name’s Alison and now someone by the name of ‘A’ is stalking them and making them do crazy things.”

Sooyoung questioned, “Is Alison dead?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugged. “They elude to who A is at the end of every episode but I don’t know if it’s her or someone else. She’s so cool though!”

At the questioning look she received, she further explained, “Okay, she’s a but she’s a great manipulator. I wish I had her skills, especially since I’m so oblivious.”

“You’d have to lose an ‘L’ in your name first,” Jessica spoke up from behind them.

The two jumped in surprise, not noticing the brunette singer leaning against the couch behind their heads.

“Have you been watching this all day?” Jessica asked, pushing her body closer to grab some popcorn.

Echo awkwardly looked away. “Maybe…”

“How’s season two? I only saw season one so far.”

“It’s really good!” Echo grinned, her mood towards her member automatically flipping. “We should watch it together some time.”

“Yeah, if I have time. This show is so crazy, imagine having your own A!” Jessica chuckled, walking away to the kitchen to grab a much-needed snack.

“I feel like I do have my own A…” the blonde mumbled under her breath, popping some popcorn into .

“What?” Sooyoung gave her a questioning look, her brows furrowed.

“I, uh…” the younger girl hesitated to tell her member about the mysterious caller she’s had ever since her car accident. She really didn’t know what to think of the whole thing. Sure, the guy was being a creep but she was more curious about who he was, what he wanted and how he got her number than anything else. The only reason she hasn’t been freaking out about random calls from some random person is because she’s received so many from random fans before it barely fazed her. “Well…” she focused her eyes on the television, “I’ve been getting these phone calls from this guy… but I don’t know who it is and they never said their name…”

The dancer looked alarmed, swiftly asking Echo for her phone, who gave it to her without further question.

Her face remained concentrated as she looked through Echo’s previous phone calls, the younger didn’t miss the glint in her eye and grew more confused when Sooyoung pulled out her own phone and began looking through it.

“It’s from Jaejoong-oppa…” Sooyoung half-whispered. Her face was bewildered, her extreme confusion clear in her brown eyes.

“Whaaaaaaaaat?” Echo didn’t mean to drawl out the word for so long, but it occurred due to her own surprise. “No, it’s not.” When Sooyoung didn’t respond, and continued to stare at her, Echo, in her fluster, continued, “We’re not even friends, that doesn’t make sense. And he’s so cryptic in his messages!”

The younger idol sunk further back into the pleather couch, slumping her shoulders. “That was actually very anti-climactic.”

“Why is Jaejoong-oppa calling you?” Sooyoung carefully pronounced her words, her eyes not giving out her emotions.

“I honestly have no ing clue,” the singer slowly shook her head. “I don’t think I even spoke to him much when I was a trainee or even after I debuted… I’m so confused right now.”

The two sat in silence, a blanket of confusion covering their minds, effectively causing both to ignore the still running TV show in front of them.

“In his last call he said I owed him a drink, maybe I’ll put him up to it?” Echo carefully asked aloud.

Sooyoung gave her a horrified look, leaning forward on her arms to get closer to the other girl. “You can’t do that! If SM found out you were seeing him they’ll lock you in the dungeon forever!”

“And if they don’t find out then I can find out why the hell he’s contacting me,” Echo argued. “It just doesn’t make sense that he’s gotten in contact with me after my car accident. He has to have a reason, and I want to know how he even got my number in the first place!”

The brunette kept a dazed look on her face before she rocked back from the balance of her hands and back into the couch, falling back into the large pleather cushions. “On another note, what did the company say about you performing at Dream Concert?”

Echo hid her amused smirk at the other girls change of subject, only succeeding due to what subject she changed it to. “They said I couldn’t do it. I tried arguing with Hajoon about it, but he pointed out that if I did perform then I would have to perform in all the comeback stages as well. I was lucky they said okay to Madison Square Garden…”

“So, you are coming to the States!” Sooyoung’s eyes lit up.

The blonde’s eyes softened, gaining a glazed over look as the thought of the destination. “Yeah, back to my home.”

 

It was almost two in the morning when the person Echo wanted to talk to the most was finally home, and in their room.

She still wasn’t sure why Tiffany was brushing her off, and the girl was so busy with her own schedule that Echo hadn’t had the chance before to pull her to the side and ask her what’s going on or if she did anything wrong.

Echo softly shuffled into their shared room, gently closing the door behind her and cloaking the room in darkness. She heard the blankets shuffle from Tiffany’s bed as she slowly moved further into the room.

After the move into the bigger dorm, Tiffany and Echo agreed to take the smallest room together. Since it was the smallest they also decided to push their two twin beds together to conserve space and have a larger sleeping space.

Echo slid into her bed – the one closest to the wall – and faced Tiffany. Even though the lights weren’t on there was slight light filtering in through the blinds, bathing the room in a nice grey coloring. The light wasn’t much, but Echo could just make out the angles and curves of Tiffany’s face.

“Unnie? Are you awake?”

Tiffany didn’t move.

“Unnie?” Echo gently poked the girls shoulder with her pointer finger. She resisted rolling her eyes when the girl didn’t move, but was clearly awake.

“Unnie, I have an important question for you.”

She was about to blow up on the older girl until said girl, without opening her eyes, softly spoke, “Why?”

Echo raised an eyebrow at her response. “What do you mean ‘why’? Don’t you mean ‘what’?”

Tiffany’s nose wrinkled, her closed eyes tightening around their edges. “No, I mean ‘why are you asking me a question’.”

The younger singer rolled her eyes, knowing the other couldn’t see her anyway. “Because I wanted to know if you still wanted to do our planned stage together for Madison Square Garden.”

That made Tiffany’s eyes pop open. “Why?”

“Is that the only thing you know how to say?”

“Just do something with you sister, don’t do something with me,” Tiffany rolled over to her other side, facing the other side of the room with her back to Echo.

The blonde wanted to bash her head into the back of Tiffany’s to get a straight answer out of her. She has no clue what on earth she did this time or how to even fix it. Ever since the car accident, and especially since she moved back into the dorm, Tiffany had been giving her the cold shoulder and ignoring her at any time she could get. It was sincerely getting on her nerves. She was more irritated than upset at this point.

“But I don’t want to do something with Ari, I want to do the stage you and I have been practicing together for months together,” Echo lifted her hand to land it atop the singer’s shoulder.

She was surprised when Tiffany didn’t shrug it off.

“Please, just go to bed Allison.”

Said girl frowned, and reluctantly took her hand off her shoulder, closing her eyes to hopefully enter a dreamland where she wasn’t disliked by her best friend.

 

      October 6th, 2011

October 6th, 2011


 

“Omigod, they all did so great,” Echo drawled. “They had such a great time,” her drawl turned into a whine, her face twisting into a pathetic looking pout.

She kicked her pale legs against the couch in her own irritation. The vibrations caused the near empty green bottle (that was already sitting precariously on the edge of the couch) to clatter against the ground, spilling a bit of its contents onto the wood floor as it clattered.

Her pout only grew as she watched her members and other idol groups get together at the end of the Dream Concert on the flat screen television.

“Why is Jonggie walking so close to my Seohyunnie?” she cried out. “Get away from my maknae!” she yelled out, throwing popcorn at the screen.

“Who’s staying away from me?”

Echo slowly turned to see a confused Seohyun standing on the other side of the couch, the other members were walking in behind her, clearly just getting inside the dorm.

“Seohyunnie, how are you here,” Echo jabbed her finger in her direction. “When you’re there,” she moved her finger to the TV.

“Unnie…” Seohyun visibly hesitated. “Have you been drinking?” her eyes zeroed in on the spilled soju bottle on the floor.

“Well, get ready to drink some more!” Yuri cheered, proudly holding up a black plastic bag that clinked with the undeniable sound of glass bottles.

The soju freely flowed between the members of Girls’ Generation, laughter bouncing off the walls with the occasional thump of one of the girls falling over in her own laughter. They were gathered around themselves on the floor between the kitchen and living room.

They previously pushed the dining room table to be horizontal to them, Sooyoung being the mock bartender and trying to make a decent mixed drink for a drunk Yoona, who heavily leaned against the table while giggling whenever Sooyoung clearly made a mistake.

“Omigod, I love you so much,” Echo slurred, latching onto Taeyeon who widely smiled and hugged her tightly back.

“No, no, I love you soooo much more!” Taeyeon hiccupped, drawling out the ‘so’ to undesirable lengths.

“One mojito!” Sooyoung’s loud voice pierced through all the conversations as she pushed the badly made drink towards the groups visual.

“Where’s Tiffany?” Echo questioned aloud, subtly swaying back and forth.

“Probably breaking the dam,” the shortest member cackled out, turning her predatory eyes towards the groups maknae who hadn’t touched a drink other than water.

“Yo, did I get to tell you what SM told me about us and Tiffany?” Taeyeon slurred, with a content smile lining her pink lips.

Echo turned to Taeyeon with a whirl of dyed blonde hair, her face contorted in question. “Wha’?”

“They said we were given the green light to have a subunit,” the main singer largely smiled, opening her arms wide in a show of exasperation.

The girl’s words took a few moments to click into Echo’s own hazy head. The singer adopted a confused look that formed into an amazed one.

“Wait, no ing way!”

“Yes, ing way!”

The two happily toasted together, holding onto each other’s hands as they swayed from one side to the other.

“I have got to tell Tiffany-unnie,” Echo sloppily grinned. Her brown eyes scanned the room, wondering if the older girl had returned from the bathroom yet. “Where is she?” she slurred aloud.

“Tiffany left before,” Jessica chimed in, from the other side of the lopsided circle the members made on the floor.

Taeyeon and Echo turned to the blonde, giving her confused looks.

“She went out that way,” the other American in the room pointed a perfectly French manicured finger towards the front door.

Echo got up without a second thought, making her way to the front door. She looked through the shoe cupboard to discover the other member’s everyday shoes were still laying in them.

It took the girl a moment in her buzzed brain to conclude that the girl had to be on the roof. It was the only place in the entire apartment building any of the members could get some peace and quiet when they deemed it necessary.

“I’ll be back,” Echo called out as she swiped a bottle of soju from the counter and leaving the dorm.

The idol couldn’t help but hum a tune as she made her way to the elevator that would take her to the rooftop. Said rooftop had a glorious amount of pretty plants littered about it with a large sitting area and fire pits to keep warm.

Once she stepped off the elevator she easily found her lost member.

Tiffany sat by herself on the loveseat facing the view of the city, one of the numerous stone fire pits innocently lit in front of her, with an empty soju bottle sitting atop the side table to the right of the loveseat. Her head was down, her dark hair cascading down her shoulders and hiding her face from view.

Echo sat down next to her, their legs brushing against each other as she twisted the soju bottles top and taking a swig.

The younger placed the bottle in front of the other girls downwards facing face.

It took a moment for Tiffany to notice the bottle in front of her. But when she did, she took it and took a large gulp. In the light Echo noticed drying tear tracks down Tiffany’s pale face.

“What’s wrong?” she simply asked.

A gasp rattled through Tiffany’s chest, her shoulders shaking and new tears fell from the corners of her eyes.

“Omigod, unnie,” she wrapped her arm around the girl’s upper body, holding her close and laying her head on her shoulder. “What’s wrong? What’s made you so upset?”

The elder shook her head as more cries vibrated through her body.

Echo didn’t know how long she just held Tiffany; how long it took the elder girl to allow herself to calm down.

“Why are you talking to me?”

The younger looked at her in shock, brutally surprised by the question. “What on earth are you talking about?” she doesn’t know how it happened, but somehow in those moments Echo felt herself sober out of her drunk stupor and focus solely on Tiffany. Her heart ached as she watched her best friend succumb to her inner turmoil, in that moment her once strong figure seemed so fragile.

“I almost killed you,” Tiffany cried out, sobs racking through her. Fresh tears poured down her face and neck.

The pure shock that met Echo was what kept her from saying anything. She opened , but no words came out. Instead, her arms tightened around the other girl’s body, desperately trying to nonverbally tell her that all is right.

“I almost killed you in the car,” the elder girl continued to cry out. “It’s my fault you became so injured. They told me you could have died.”

It took what felt like eternities for Echo to finally have the strength to open . “It wasn’t your fault Stephanie. None of this was your fault, I swear.”

Harder sobs wrecked through Tiffany’s body at Echo’s words.

“You didn’t purposely hit that other car and get us into an accident,” Echo continued, her eyes hard in determination. “None of this is your fault. You can’t blame yourself for someone else’s fault. I don’t blame you.”

“But you should!” the singer cried out, jutting up into a proper sitting position, causing Echo’s arms to fall away from her body. The younger girls heart hurt at the pure pain and agony shown through the others tears.

“I can’t,” Echo whispered, loud enough for the other girl to hear her. “I won’t.”

The two stared at each other in a silence that slowly began to grow less tense.

“A lot of things in this world are out of our control, and we can’t change the past. I’m fine now and I can start performing at Madison Square Garden, there’s nothing for you to be sorry about,” Echo gently took the singers hands in her own, a small smile on her thin lips.

Tiffany’s eyes shined with the descent of more tears, but there was a clear relaxing effect in her body. She gently squeezed her best friend’s hands back, smiling through the tears and pain.

“I think we deserve this,” Echo grinned, gesturing to the soju bottle she brought up on the table in front of them.

The elder girl giggled, eagerly nodding her head.

 

Thank you SM so much for putting baby Echo in the song TT.TT

Is Echo going to Madison Square Garden?! I bought my ticket in hopes of seeing her!!

There are pictures of Echo walking into the SM building! There is hope SONES!



 

Well hello there! :D
Fun Fact: As I was in the middle of writing this chapter I had a dream that Severus Snape was Echo's biological father, it was really weird. Thought I'd share that with the class haha.