Chapter 31

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: RichKids of Beverly Hills

 

      August 23rd, 2010

August 23rd, 2010


 

"Gum?" Tiffany held out a silver encased piece of gum towards her best friend sitting next to her.

"Yes, please!" Echo thankfully unwrapped the gum and popped it into . "Even though we fly so often, my ears really can't handle it."

"Hey! Jung Allison!" Sunny called from two seats across from the two best friends, leaning over a dozing Taeyeon. "When am I going to see your acting?"

"On September first, like everyone else," Echo smirked, purposely obnoxiously popping her gum.

"But I'm a precious unnie, shouldn't I be able to see first?"

"Hey, if anyone's her precious unnie, it's me," Tiffany scolded, but smiled.

"Trust me, the drama's so cringe worthy I don't think I want anyone to watch it," the singer admitted, making a face.

"We definitely have to watch it now," Yoona laughed, sitting in the seat directly in front of Tiffany.

"No," Echo whined, childishly pounding her foot on the ground, causing her members to laugh. "Seriously, Oh Hani is the worst character ever, she's stupid, annoying, clingy, and just really annoying."

"You said annoying twice," Sooyoung pointed out, sitting next to Yoona.

"That's just how annoying she is!"

"Then we have to watch the drama to prove it!"

Echo threw herself back into her seat, slumped. "How do you not understand this? Oh Hani is the worst character ever made!"

THUD

The lights on the inside of the plane flickered, the girls eyes widened with fear when they saw the bright flashes outside their window.

They felt their bodies shake uncontrollably as the interior of the plane rattled them against their will, the sound of metal pushing against metal met their ears.

Mere seconds later the lights were still off, the girls watching with fear filled eyes as the lightening storm boomed around their plane.

Everyone was silent.

When they realized their plane wasn't about to make a nose dive into the ocean they felt themselves slightly relax into their seats.

Seohyun burst out into tears. Hyoyeon, her seatmate, turned to the maknae, trying to calm her down.

Silent tears fell down Yoona's face, her hand tightly clenched around Sooyoung's.

Sunny was curled up in her seat, her tiny hands pressed against her ears, Taeyeon was shakily rubbing her back in comfort (she woke up in the middle of the shaking).

Yuri latched onto a barely awake Jessica's arm, eyes fearfully gazing at nothing.

Jessica woke up during the commotion, blurry eyes taking in her surroundings, only confusion met her when she saw everyone's terrified reactions. "What's going on?"

Echo looked down, noticing her and Tiffany's hands were tightly clasped together. Without a word she curled into the elder girls side, feeling Tiffany's free hand wrap around her thin frame.

The lights flickered back on.

"Attention passengers, please remain calm. The airplane has received no damage and we will continue on to our course without furthur disruptions."

 

 

      August 25th, 2010

August 25th, 2010


 

"Are you sure your ankle is okay?" Echo asked Tiffany, her eyes zeroed in on the appendage her friend was rubbing.

"Yeah, it was just a minor sprain."

"But no one told us we were going to be performing three times today," she frowned.

"What's wrong?" Taeyeon appeared next to the two friends, looking at the elder singer with worried eyes.

They were in between their 5PM and 8PM Japanese showcases, receiving makeup retouches behind the stage. The members discovered last second there was going to be three separate showcases instead of one due to the sheer amount of fans that wanted to see them.

"Her ankles bothering her,"  Echo answered for her best friend when she didn't answer.

"Your ankle hurts?" Sooyoung turned towards the growing group next, eyes wide.

"I'm fine!" the American huffed, growing irritated at the attention.

"Don't sprain yourself," Sooyoung frowned.

"We have one more thirty minute showcase, I'll be fine."

 

"Hello, I am SNSD's Echo!" Echo happily yelled out to the fans in Japanese, her eyes eagerly absorbing the sight of fans before her.

After the rest of the members introduced themselves Sooyoung fluently spoke in Japanese, "We eventually came to Tokyo."

When Taeyeon spoke it was in Korean. "Because this is the first stage in Japan, the members were very nervous and put in a lot of effort to be ready. We hope the showcase meets your expectations and hope all of you can enjoy it. Thanks a lot!" After the Japanese translator behind the stage translated.

"Today is our first time to meet each other," Sunny spoke in Korean. "So I think it is meaningful, we will work harder. Please look forward to Girls' Generation." Even before the translator could translate, fans were screaming.

Sooyoung and Echo shared a look, Echo smiling when she understood what she was silently saying.

With a deep breath Echo turned to the fans, speaking in slow Japanese, "This is our first live in Japan.  We were very scared, but many fans came. We are very happy. Thank you very much!"

Some of the members gave her surprised looks, since Sooyoung was the one who gave the final Japanese words in the last two showcases, Tiffany proudly pat her on the back while Sunny playful hip checked her.

A few songs later, their last showcase was coming to an end. The girls happily waved goodbye to the fans, giving them one last group bow and thanking them before disappearing off stage.

The girls could see the just turned out stage lights illuminate through the short hallway to the backstage, hearing the SONE's get up from their seats and happily chat about the performance.

"How's your ankle?" was the first thing out of Echo's mouth when they were out of earshot of any fan and their microphones were off.

Tiffany chuckled. "It's fine. Focus on changing so we can get back to the hotel."

With a smirk Echo followed her members to the changing areas. She plopped down on the small couch, pulling off her heels. She winced at the clear tape tightly wrapped around her toes, she swiftly ripped them off, rubbing her burning feet.

Her fingers brushed across her ankle. Brown eyes widened when she noticed something critical. Her foot fell back to the ground, wildly she looked around the room, her eyes desperately roaming the floor.

Barefoot, she jumped off the couch, pulling her hair back so she could see better. She was hunched over as she walked around, looking for what she lost.

"Unnie, what are you doing?" Seohyun's soft voice met her ears.

"Looking for my mom's anklet," she simply responded, not looking up from her search.

"When did you lose it?!"

"I don't know."

Seohyun frantically joined her search, trying to find the faint sparkle of the anklet on the floor.

"What on earth are you two doing?" Sooyoung questioned, amusement on her face.

"Finding Echo's moms anklet," Seohyun responded.

Within minutes the search spread like wild fire, the ten members were all hunched over, trying to find the missing jewelry. Some of the staff members and their managers joined in as well.

Echo, Tiffany, Taeyeon and Jessica ended up wandering back on stage. None of them noticed the few SONE's still hanging about.

"I found it!" Jessica loudly yelled, proudly holding up the thin anklet.

With a loud squeal, Echo launched herself towards the singer, thanking her  before gently holding the anklet to her chest. "You're a life savior! Thank you, thank you!"

Jessica just laughed, rubbing her back and telling her they should finally get undressed so they can go to sleep.

Most of the members passed out on the bus ride back to the hotel. For once, they were able to head back to their beds before midnight.

Echo just fell asleep before she felt a poke on her arm. The girl reluctantly opened her eyes, growing more confused at the bunch of stapled papers that were just dropped on her lap. "What?" her voice was thick.

"It's a script for your next role," Hajoon simply responded. He sat in the row directly in front of Echo and Tiffany.

The singer incoherently mumbled swears under her breath before looking over the script. A few pages in she began to feel awake and even more confused. "Uh, Hajoon-oppa?"

"Yeah?"

"This character… she sounds like she's in her thirties?"

"She is."

A pause.

"Then why the hell am I being given this role? I don't look thirty… wait, do I?"

Hajoon gave her an incredulous look. "No, you don't look thirty. The actresses that are thirty don't even look thirty."

"I'm barely twenty, how am I supposed to be a woman whose over ten years my senior? Did I even audition for this role?" Echo's eyes squinted in thought, she couldn't recall auditioning for anything lately but she wouldn't be surprised if she had forgotten in all the hustle and bustle that is Girls' Generation. "I'm not doing this. I have enough on my plate as it is."

Hajoon deeply sighed, pinching the upper bridge of his nose. "The role was practically handed to you, Echo-ah. It would be really good for you and for the group."

"I'm a singer, not an actress," she frowned.

Hajoon gave her a hard look. "You're an idol."

 

 

 

      September 3rd, 2010

September 3rd, 2010


 

"Omigod, I think I'm going to throw up," Echo held her head as the SM Entertainment artists boarded the chartered plane.

Sooyoung was standing behind her, both hands rubbing her back. "But you did so well in the airport! I think you're getting better at this," she laughed.

"Why can't there be like, a hidden hallway that only celebrities can use? Right from the entrance straight to their plane!" Echo whined, slowly growing more irritated at how slow the line was moving.

"Because then they would need to make tons of them to get to every plane," Sooyoung explained, using a high-pitched baby voice.

"Put your happy face on, the cameras are coming over here," Sunny uttered under her breath, standing in front of the two.

Echo slid her sunglasses from her head to her nose, not in the mood. Luckily, for her, they weren't asking any questions as the camera crew walked by. Her frown grew when Jonghyun promptly ignored her when she attempted to make eye contact (although she was wearing her sunglasses).

Once they got to their seats on the first floor, Echo plopped down into the sea green seats, kicking her large purse underneath the seat in front of her.

With her sunglasses still on, she leaned back, closed her eyes and crossed her arms across her chest.

She was sitting in the center seats, with Sooyoung to her right and Tiffany to her left.

Airports always left her frazzled and in a bad mood, she was nowhere close to mentally able to entertain the cameras littered around the large plane.

She remained still as a board, feigning sleep when the cameras came to their seats.

Tiffany spoke, playing with the few free strands from her bun. "Honestly, I usually sleep right after I board but since I'm so excited today, I'm chatting with the members."

"Time flies by really quickly if you watch movies," Sooyoung pointed out. "So I end up watching almost all of the recent movies when I ride airplanes."

When it was clear that Echo wasn't going to put any input Tiffany swiftly explained, "Echo-ah always finds going into the airport very stressful so she always falls asleep the second she boards the plane."

"As soon as I board, I change into slippers," Sooyoung jumped in. "And I lay down and stick the pillow in between like this." She picked up the bright yellow pillow, placing it between the seat and her head.

"And I read books, play games, and write stuff down," Tiffany continued.

"And I eat ramen when I wake up," the tallest member laughed, Tiffany agreeing.

The cameraman moved onto the next group of celebrities when they finished.

Tiffany kept a careful eye on the cameras before gently patting Echo's leg. "They're gone."

Echo shifted in her seat, yanking her sunglasses off. "Why am I in such a bad mood?"

"Maybe you started your period," Sooyoung consoled her, rubbing her arm.

"I wasn't lying when I said the airport stresses you out," her best friend spoke.

Echo blankly stared at the TV screen in front of her. "Jonghyun doesn't even look at me anymore…" she mumbled. "Arianna is back in one of her funks when it comes to me, I hate my current drama role and I'm growing more confused with my next one… God, I hate airports."

 

Did you guys see the video of the SNSD members finding Echo's anklet?

Aw, SNSD are so nice to each other!

Did anyone else watch Echo in the first Mischievous Kiss episode?!



Part one of the showcase.

All my American readers, have a happy Fourth of July!!