Chapter 26

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt!

 

      March 26th, 2010

March 26th, 2010


 

 

 

The only sound as Echo walked down the trainee hallways of the SM entertainment building was her footsteps. Even with the hectic schedule (that's sadly becoming an average one) Echo was able to take a few moments to visit her younger sister/ward. She'd barely seen the younger ever since her being drugged (which now she has come to terms with).

"Unnie!" Sulli happily bound across the small dance studio to launch herself into Echo's thin arms.

The SNSD member laughed, hugging the tall girl. "Hello, Sulli-ah. How are you?"

"Tired," she pouted. "Unnie, you never come to see me anymore, I miss you." She wrapped her long arms tighter around the elder girls waist, resting her head in the juncture of her neck and shoulder.

"I miss you too, Sulli-ah," Echo chuckled, reassuringly rubbing her back. "I hope you've been eating and sleeping."

"When I can," she grinned, pulling a few inches away from the other girls body, but refusing to let go.

"Dongsaeng-ah, I need to see my sister," she frowned, the taller girl reluctantly releasing her from her grasp.

Sulli pouted but released the elder idol.

"Allison," Ari, uncharacteristically, softly spoke. She looked unsure of herself as she approached her sister, previously talking to Victoria.

"Let's talk in the hallway," Echo responded, twisting on her heel to exit the studio. Her younger sister followed her with her head bowed.

Echo's shoulders were squared, her eyes calculating, far from as free feeling as she was mere minutes ago.

Arianna's head was bowed, her figure slumped.

"How've you been?" the SNSD member cryptically questioned.

"Please," Ari begged, "just cut to the chase. I can't deal with you trying to be all imposing."

"Why did you see him?" she asked, her voice low.

Tears began to appear in Arianna's eyes. "I was curious. And, and he was nice to me."

Anger flashed within Echo's eyes. "Was he nice to you when he left our family over ten years ago?!"

"People change!" Ari fought back. "He made a mistake and he's trying to fix it! Don't you think he deserves another chance in our lives?!"

"Some mistakes can't be fixed," she growled. "And I forbid you to see him, ever again."

"You can't do that!" she yelled, ignoring the terrified looks she received from two passing by trainees.

"I am your guardian, and what I say goes!" pure fury in her tone.

"Just because Korean law states I still need a guardian doesn't mean you're the boss of me!"

Echo scoffed. "Until next year I am your boss, get the over it."

Ari's cheeks were pink, her lips twitching in anger. "YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!"

 

Half of the vans occupants were dozed off in their seats, the rest of the members were either idly chatting or blankly starring out the window's unchanging view.

"You would not believe what I just did," Sooyoung's embarrassed face popped into the van, taking her seat. She turned to Echo. "I thought a trainee was you, I even grabbed her hand!"

Echo raised a simple eyebrow at the others action. "Why did you think she was me?"

"You guys have really similar faces," she admitted.

"Well," she smirked, "it is a popular face." Thinking of her sister and cousins similarities to her.

Sooyoung laughed, leaning back in her seat.

The next member to find her way into the van was Jessica, who promptly sat down next to Echo. "Have you spoken to Willow?" she asked, keeping her voice down.

"No," Echo slightly shook her head. After management discovered it was the trainee that had drugged one of their idols she was promptly kicked out of the company, they didn't even wait for the test results to boot her out. Turns out the drug in her drink was Ketamine, also known as 'Special K'.

"Do you think she's still in the country?" she continued questioning her.

"I doubt it," the taller girl shrugged, her bluntly cut black hair brushing her shoulders as she did so. "Her parents have no tie to Korea, it would make no sense for her to still be here. She's lucky SM isn't charging her with anything."

"Well, if they charge her the world would know you went to a club and got drugged," Jessica pointed out, laying her head on her shoulder, closing her eyes.

"We wouldn't want that now would we," Echo boredly mumbled, eyes looking straight ahead.

 

April 2, 2010

Echo was the final member to exit the white van, following directly behind Yuri. She immediately bowed to the MC, eyes wide as she looked at the sea of fans.

"Look at the surroundings, there's so many people!" the male MC proclaimed, gesturing towards the fans. "Let's give SNSD a shout!"

The fans loudly shouted, highering in tone once Yuri egged them on to do more.

"What do you think of the splitting groups?"

"The ones here are the aces," Jessica confidently, stated. "Looks… ability… everything included!"

"Oh! Isn't that our song?!" Yuri happily called out as they walked arm-in-arm down the crowded street.

"Yes, we prepared earlier for you," the MC sarcastically said. "What's the title of your new song?"

"Run Devil Run!"

After a short prompting the five members performed the chorus of their latest song.

"I realized Yuri-ssi is the most awkward!" the MC pointed out, the others laughing.

"Not on the stage, but dancing on the street is a little weird," she admitted.

"Using y dance!" the MC egged on.

Yuri proudly performed a strong, short, performance of Run Devil Run as the rest of the members sang.

The MC happily pointed out a few kids shoes on display for sale on a white table. The girls cooed at the tiny shoes.

"Looking at these kid shoes," the MC asked, "what do you think of?"

"The poor children that would have Echo-ah as a mom," Jessica joked, receiving a light punch in the shoulder.

"When do you want to marry?" the MC questioned, looking pointedly at Yoona.

"My marriage age target is between 27-28 years old," she proclaimed. "Not sure whether it could be done."

As the MC was asking them another question a fans loud shout for Jessica interrupted. "You! Come over here!"

The female fan bound over within seconds through the crowd, energetically clasping Jessica's hand and shaking it.

Echo tried not to laugh, standing next to the other American.

"Jessica's fan?" the MC questioned.

"Yes!"

"What did you shout out just now?"

"JESSICA GODDESS!"

The rest of the members laughed at the title. Jessica generously gave the fan a hug after she stated the idol was very pretty.

"Did you think so many people would be here today?" the MC asked as they slowly walked down the sidewalk (they weren't getting very far).

"Earlier in the car before we came, we worried a bit," Yoona admitted. "But we didn't expect there to be so many fans coming here today."

"Today is a Sunday, plus the weather is good," Tiffany pointed out, "we are lucky already."

Once the members hit the end of the street, they happily ran forward to meet back up with their five other members. Taeyeon playfully wacked Echo's short ponytail once she stood in front of her.

"Hello everyone, we are Girls' Generation!"

Ear splitting screams met their ears.

One at a time the MC's pulled fans from the crowd, all performing a SNSD dance before they were brought back to a studio.

Echo nervously re-crossed her legs in the wide red chair. As the rest of the members talked she absentmindedly played with the straw in her tall orange flavored drink, poking at the half sliced orange floating at the top.

Even as the food was placed on the table she barely reacted. She barely made it in time to do their ending.

"Right now it's - Girls' Generation!"

Once the members properly thanked the staff members and were secured in their van, being schlepped to their next schedule. Echo was surprised when Yoona made Tiffany scoot over so she could sit in between her and Echo.

"What's going on?" Yoona asked, once the car was moving on the road.

The American gave her a surprised look, contemplating on her next words. "My mind… is a mess."

Instead of laughing Yoona remained concerned. "What makes you say that?"

She opened and closed , having an inner argument on if she should open up. Her dark eyes scanned the van, noticing the other members were either asleep or too engrossed in something to pay them any mind.

"Well, my sister admitted to me that she's been having secret meetings with our father, I was drugged by someone I thought was my friend, and the world knows about my scar, which I'm terrified is just going to unravel a nasty web that I really want to remain intact and hidden in a corner."

The idol's doe-eyes remained unblinking, boring into Echo's own eyes. "I have something for you at the dorm later." Without another word the visual turned forward, gently closing her eyes for a few minutes of rest.

"Ari keeps wanting to get in touch with you, she just doesn't know how," Jessica threw out there, looking over a fashion magazine in her lap.

Echo gave the other idol a weird look. "And how would you know that?"

"Krystal told me," an unspoken 'duh' floated in the air. "They are best friends, they talk a lot."

"Then tell Krystal to tell Ari that she can my ."

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon burst out into laughter.

 

"We had a chance to talk with the ten different and unique SNSD girls. We'll be looking forward to your future activities. Thank you."

The girls graciously bowed in their seats to the cheering crowd.

"Right now it's - Girls' Generation!"

Echo followed the rest of her pink clad members off the stage and into the waiting room to change before, finally, being able to go back to the dorm. It was a bit after midnight, and their next schedule was for six in the morning tomorrow so the managers sped to get them back to the dorm so they could at least gain a few hours of needed sleep.

After Echo sluggishly changed into her pajamas she heard a soft knock on her door. "Come in."

Yoona appeared through the door, her eyes darting over her shoulder before slipping fully into the room and closing the door behind her.

The slightly younger girl gave her a questioning look, but didn't speak.

"Where's Tiffany?"

"In the shower."

Yoona looked relieved before softly asking, "How… how did you feel after you had ketamine?" Her hands behind her back.

Echo felt the corners of her lips twitch. "Normal. I could feel everything I haven't been able to the past year."

"Did you debate doing it again?"

She gently bit the tip of her tongue, nails tapping against her bare legs. "A little. I wanted that feeling again… not the high one, the aftermath. I want to feel the emotions I know I should have." She wasn't sure why she was being so open about this with Yoona, she hadn't even said much to Tiffany about her situation.

"What do you usually feel?"

"Sad… fearful… angry."

"I thought so," the visual lowered her voice. "I feel the same way."

Echo's eyes widened in surprise. "Seriously? You?"

She nodded, "For awhile now. There's a lot of pressure where I am right now. For some reason I totally forgot the other members could be feeling the same way, but it looked like everyone was just tired. Other than Taeyeon, I was afraid to tell anyone about this."

"What's wrong with us?" the singers words came out chocked.

Sadness lit up her doe eyes. "We're depressed."

Echo gave her a blank look.

"I brought something for you," Yoona sat down, bringing her arms to her front to show a small bag, hastily she pawed through it to pull out a small green bottle. "This helps from time to time, just be careful with it."

She gently placed the bottle in Echo's open hands. Her eyebrows furrowed together when she read the label. "Soju?"

The visual slowly nodded. "Taking a shot or two occasionally helps. You forget everything bad around you, it's a nice getaway. And it's legal."

When Echo just stared at the bottle without speaking Yoona continued, "This one is 35% so if you're not used to alcohol I would take half a shot and see how your body reacts." With a reassuring pat on the knee Yoona stood up to leave the room. "If you ever need to talk I'm here."

She left.

Echo ended up staring at the bottle for a few more minutes before shoving it under her pillow when she heard the doorknob turn.

"Why is the door closed?" Tiffany asked, a towel sitting atop her head.

"I was getting dressed."

"Girl, you walk around here what are you hiding?" Echo's heart dropped at the last word, but she realized Tiffany was joking once she started laughing.

Echo didn't sleep that night, all she could think about was Yoona's words and the bottle under her pillow.

 

Why was Echo so quiet during their latest shows? She's usually more active.

Ooh~ I smell drama behind the scenes~

Does anyone know anything more about Echo's scar? All SM said was she had an accident before debut… did she fall out of a tree or something?



 

The drug Echo was drugged with via Willow was Ketamine!

The guarilla date episode.

The story show rock episode.