Chapter 29

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: Pretty Little Liars

 

      August 6th, 2010

August 6th, 2010


 

"This room is so beautiful!" Echo squealed, falling backwards against the white comforter covered bed.

"All the decorations are so pink," Tiffany held a pink pillow from the armchair in her arms as she looked around the room.

"Do you guys mind sharing a bed?" Sunny asked, poking her head in the master suite.

"No problem," Tiffany assured her with a wide smile.

"Are we recording the music video today or tomorrow?" Echo asked from her spot on the bed, long legs in stretched in front of her.

"Tomorrow, but we're filming something today," Sunny revealed, bouncing on the bed next to Echo.

"Is it for that DVD the world isn't going to see for at least a year?" Tiffany questioned, joining the two on the bed.

"Sounds about right to me," Echo laughed, falling back into the fluffy pillow mountain behind her.

"Hey, guys," Taeyeon's full makeup face popped up in the open doorway. "We need to get down to the lobby soon, the makeup artists are waiting in the living room."

"We're recording something now?" Tiffany questioned with wide eyes. "We just got here!"

"We don't have much time though," the leader shrugged, walking back towards the living room.

With an annoyed huff the three members reluctantly left the cozy bed to get their makeup done.

Turns out they were going to go on a treasure hunt… Echo thought the whole thing was ridiculous (she wouldn't admit it was actually a tad fun). She was clearly horrible at the strange riddles, and it didn't help that her first team was with Sooyoung, Jessica and Seohyun. She vaguely remembers glaring at Jessica for walking and tightly grabbing her wrist and pulling her, forcing her to run behind her.

You would think when they switched teams and she was put with Hyoyeon, Tiffany and Sooyoung she would receive a better outcome. Nope. They ended up having to serve the rest of their members a meal while they only got to watch them eat. They did get to eat after the cameras stopped rolling, but it was the thought they lost that irritated her.

It was nice how the staff arranged a tiered cake decorated with rose petals at the end of the game, the girls happily spoke about their days as just a project girl group.

Then the next day they filmed their Echo music video, the members kept making jabs at Echo due to her stage name, and excitedly pointing at her during the chorus during the recording. it was oddly endearing.

 

 

      August 8th, 2010

August 8th, 2010


 

"I don't know how this map is supposed to help me," Echo admitted to the staff, uncertainly looking around the beautiful resort. "I'm extremely directionally challenged. I always get lost."

She pursed her lips, deciding to take a random direction and just keep going straight. "I think I'm worse than Taeyeon and Sunny put together," she laughed, gently brushing her fingertips along the tall, green, bushes enclosing the pathway. "Once, when I was lost as a trainee in the SM building, Donghae-oppa found me. He felt bad so he bought me food." She hid her laugh behind an open hand. "I should've kept that to myself shouldn't I?"

When a fork appeared in her path Echo simply used the 'Eenie Meenie Miny Mo' technique to pick a path. "Oh! Is that Taeyeon?"

Echo's eyes lit with mischief when Taeyeon's back came into view. The leader was standing in front of a strange bird house perched in front of a tree. The younger member slowly moved over the grass, holding her breath until her face was a mere inch away from the leaders before saying "Sawadika!"

Taeyeon screamed, holding her chest in fright. When she realized who it was she promptly hit Echo on the shoulder, telling her not to startle her, but the younger girl was too busy laughing to take her threat seriously.

"Unnie, what is that?"

"How would I know?!" Taeyeon angrily questioned, but her eyes were playful.

"Unnie, help me," Echo pulled out her map, heavily leaning on the shorter leader, pointing at the paper. "I need to get to the beach but I don’t know how."

"Do you know who you're asking for directions right now?" she laughed, but she traced her nail along the map, showing her which path she should take.

"Ah, so that's the way," Echo said with a 'I got it!' tone (she still doesn't know what the she's doing) before ditching the leader via running away laughing.

After ten minutes of fruitless wandering a voice called out: "Unnie! Unnie, get in!"

Echo whirled around, her eyes widening in surprised when she saw Seohyun driving towards her in a what looked to be a golf cart. "Hyunnie, they trusted you to drive this?"

"I passed, I got a hundred!" Seohyun giggled, lightly tapping the wheel with her fingers. "Get in, get in!"

"I don't trust someone who failed their license testing three times," she uncertainly said, although she jumped in anyway. "You're my driver now!" So she said in English, "Chauffer, chauffer."

"Chauffer!" Seohyun playfully copied her English. "Unnie, where do you want to go?"

"The beach."

"You got lost didn't you?"

"Am I that obvious?" she uncomfortably laughed.

Echo promptly thanked Seohyun once she pulled the buggy to a stop in front of the beaches entrance, all but running onto the sand. "I've only see a real beach a few times in my life, I always swam in lakes," Echo admitted, widely smiling. "So it's really nice to see!"

Looking around her eyes zeroed in on Tiffany, who decided to turn around. The two immediately bee lined for each other loudly singing in English:

"Reunited and it feels so good

Reunited 'cause we understood

There's one perfect fit

And, sugar, this one is it

We both are so excited

'Cause we're reunited, hey, hey!"

They laughed once they reached each other, immediately looping their arms together.

"How'd you find this place?" Tiffany asked, wondering how on Earth the second youngest member found her way somewhere with a physical map.

"I didn't, Seohyun drove me," she admitted, laughing.

"Seohyun drove you?!" Tiffany gapped. "Why did you get in the car with her?!"

"It was a golf cart!" she pouted. "It was safe, unnie. She's been working really hard! Hey… Is Taeyeon on a horse?"

"Omigod!" Tiffany exclaimed, in English. The two stood as they watched their leader walk by, mounted on a brown pony.

"She looks terrified," Echo laughed.

"Taeyeon-ah, don't fall!" The other American yelled out, Taeyeon promptly ignoring her.

After taking numerous selca's and a short video (with her cell phone) together Tiffany said she wanted to send to her family, it began to rain.

The ten members effectively hid under a congregation of umbrellas, waiting for the buggies the staff called in to bring them back to the main resort.

Echo ended up on the very left side of the bench-like seat, Tiffany in the middle and Yoona at the very right side.

Instead of talking like the other members in their carts, the trio instead took selca's the entire time.

Once all the members were reunited (and the rain abruptly stopped) they stood in front of one of the bushes lining the entrance to the hotel.

"The day is over!"

"Although," Sunny spoke, "the rain put a short end to our fun at the beach, we are back at our nest."

"I came first!" Taeyeon happily announced.

"You did?" Sunny sarcastically pat her head.

"I was the first one at the beach."

"So she got a gift," Yoona explained.

"I'll give you my gift again," Sunny tightly hugged the leader, Yoona joining in.

Taeyeon yelled, "It's too hot!" before pushing the members off her.

"She didn't like my gift too much."

"It was more like a penalty."

"So our day is over, we are going to go back to our nest to rest for tomorrow. Should we go swimming?" Sunny smiled.

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Just for a short while, we're going swimming but you can't take any pictures," Sooyoung said in a baby voice.

After a few members joined Sooyoung in the baby voicing they finished with a clean:

"Right now is Girls Generation!"

 

True to Sunny's words the members did end up going to the pool, however they all stayed covered with a shirt over their bathing suits due to staff warning them to remain modest just in case someone took pictures.

They stayed closed to the walk in part of the pool so the members who couldn't swim were still able to enjoy the water.

Echo tapped at the water, watching the tiny ripples in the water grow, bouncing against the other members arms.

"I really, really want to get my jaw done," Jessica pouted, holding up her delicate hands against her jaw line.

"Why? You're pretty with your natural jaw," Hyoyeon questioned, looking a little irritated at Jessica's confession.

"Because it will help give me a more delicate and lady-like look."

"You look like a lady now," Yuri pointed out, her toes flicking against the water's surface. "Do you think you look like a man?"

"No, I could just look better. And if I can get surgery to do it, why not?" Jessica's back straightened, her voice growing a defensive tone at the end.

"If she wants to get something done that she thinks will help her confidence, let her," Sunny shrugged, not seeing the big deal.

"I'm happy you think that way," Jessica smiled. "Because I'm getting it done on the twelfth… of this month."

All other conversations ceased. Every member turned to look at Jessica, some understanding looks while others looked betrayed.

"So, you're leaving a day before us?" Sooyoung slowly asked.

Jessica nodded, continuing to look forward, giving off a cold vibe. Echo knew what this was. Jessica just put her barriers up. The girl is extremely stubborn and once she sets her mind on something it's impossible to change her mind.

"But why did you just ask permission?" Taeyeon questioned, her eyes hard, eyebrows furrowed.

"What?"

Taeyeon's eyes flashed. "You pretty much just asked us for permission. We all know plastic surgery takes at least a month to plan, what would you have said if we said we didn't think it was a good idea?"

Jessica shifted against the hard cement, her nails digging into the ground. She didn't say anything.

Taeyeon huffed, standing up and being the first to leave the pool.

They all followed one-by-one after that.

 

 

      August 9th, 2010

August 9th, 2010


 

The second Echo opened her eyes she understood what the day held for her. She felt heavy and emotionally drained, even after a restful night of sleep.

She rubbed her crust filled eyes, flopping her arm down on the bed.

The clock read 8:45 AM.

She knew she should get up to get breakfast, but she doesn't want to.

The clock read 9:22 AM.

She just didn't have the energy to fake a smile for everyone else's sake.

The clock read 10:54 AM.

Couldn't she be selfish for once and just spend all day in bed?

The clock read 12:13 AM.

Echo's stomach growled. She knew then she couldn't just stay in bed and waste away like she secretly hoped would happen. Slowly, she pushed herself up onto her elbows.

Looking around the room and open doorway, she discovered she was alone in the large suite. She didn't want to brush her hair, brush her teeth, do her makeup, spray perfume or anything to resemble being an alive human being. It just wasn't fair of her to do something like that.

Now I’m in danger
One layer, two layers, hey! Drag it just like pastry
Danger
Soak through the cracks just like honey
I’m Pinocchio

Echo grabbed her phone, knowing who the caller was simply based on the ringtone.

"Hello?"

There was a lengthy pause on the other end, Echo contemplated hanging up but decided against it. "Unnie… It's Arianna."

"I know."

Another pause. Then a slow, "You know what day it is, right?"

"Of course," her breath became shallower at the thought.

"I miss her," Ari's voice sounded broken on the other end. Echo could tell she was already crying. She was probably crying since the second she woke up. Arianna always had a tough girl exterior, due to being a foreigner at an all girls Korean boarding school for years she had to learn to grow a tough skin, when they found out her father wasn't in the picture the bullying became worse.

However, Echo knew, she always knew. Arianna was just a little girl on the instead, curled up in a ball in a corner, trying to emotionally and physically keep herself as far away from others as possible. It was thanks to f(x) she was able to finally open up to those she didn't share blood with. Their cousin, Hanbi, was no longer her only friend.

"So do I. Every single day, Ari."

A sniffle. "Do you remember when we first came to Korea with mom? I think you were nine, I was eight. I remember when we first tried street dukkbokki, I remember how you screamed so loud because it was way too spicy for you."

Echo chuckled, "And the woman yelled at mom for letting me eat it."

Arianna laughed, "Mom got so mad, thinking the woman called her an unfit mother and actually had a screaming match with her in the street."

"And the police just watched, everyone else just walked away minding their own business."

Before the siblings knew it they were engulfed with memories of their mother. They shared anything and everything they could think of. Hours passed, the duo were laughing and Ari was even crying. They completely forgot about the spat they had months ago.

"Oh, I didn't even tell you yet. The company wants me to get a stage name, everyone keeps mispronouncing 'Ari' as 'Alli' and I keep thinking it's you and I don't respond to anything. I was thinking maybe 'Hyo' or 'Hanna'."

Allison grew quiet, her heart feeling touched at her little siblings thought.

"I was even thinking of putting Hyoju and my Korean name Yeon together, like Hyon or something."

Both burst out into laughter at the name.

"Yeah, it's a work in progress."

"You definitely have to work on it but," Echo paused, "I'm sure whatever you come up with mom would have loved."

"Thanks," Echo could hear Arianna's smile on the other end. "Oh, um, unnie?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Echo smiled at the three simple words, feeling her eyes water. "I love you, too."

After hanging up the phone Echo turned to the clock, shocked to notice she was about to miss dinner. She quickly got ready, focused on her growling stomach, slipped on her shoes and ran down the resorts hallway and to the restaurant.

When she finally reached her destination she smiled when she noticed her members all sitting at a table, some with food others with just drinks (probably waiting for their food or already finished).

She easily slid into the only empty spot at the long table between Tiffany and Yuri. Grabbing a menu she realized the girls stopped talking.

"Hey, you guys can be happy today," she gave a small, reassuring smile.

Slowly, the conversations rose again. Echo barely spoke, instead focusing on her meal. Once the members were finished with their food they all split ways, some wanting to get more sleep or just lounge, go shopping, go swimming or relax by the pool.

Echo ended up wandering the airways of the resort, a thin sweatshirt covering her arms as a chilly breeze settled with the moons rise.

"Echo-ah!"

The idol turned around, cocking an amused eyebrow when she saw Yoona half-running towards her with a large green backpack.

"Yoona-ah, what are you doing with that bag?" she experimentally poked the bag, surprised when she hit something hard and smooth.

"Come on," Yoona smoothly slid her hand into Echo's entwining their fingers. Echo smiled at the tug against her arm, silently following the visual to a mystery destination.

It was when the sea salt air hit Echo's nose she realized they were going to the beach. The two idols took off their heels before walking across the chilly sand, Yoona pulled out a blanket from her backpack, setting it down on the ground for them to sit on.

It was nice, just watching the calming waters lap onto the shore, their towel two yards away from the hypnotic sound.

"I brought you something," Yoona pulled her backpack to her side, plucking out a large bottle and handing it to Echo, a mischievous smile on her face.

"What's this?" she asked, confused. Looking at the bottle in the moonlight she read aloud: "Pahlmeyer Sonoma Chardonnay." Her eyes widened with awe at the thoughtful gift. "Yoona-ah… you didn't need to-"

"I wanted to," she smiled. "It was your moms favorite right? The one she would drink every night."

"It is," she bit her lip, trying to hold back any tears that threatened to spill over. "You didn't have to do this."

"I didn't," she shrugged, still smiling. "But I wanted to." Riffling through her bag once more Yoona pulled out two plastic champagne flutes.

Echo laughed at the site. "We're drinking wine not champagne!"

"Wine glasses would break in my bag, they're too big!"

The two giggled, filling each other's glass with the light colored wine. They raised their glasses to cheer, but were stopped by a loud: "Are you guys starting without us?!"

The idols turned, their smiles widening when they saw the rest of their members pooling onto the beach. Some had towels secured under their arms and Echo smiled when she saw a few holding bowls filled with fruit covered in saran with tiny toothpicks for them to share.

Once everyone settled in, and everyone had a bit of wine in their glass (although since there were ten of them they didn't get a full glass) they raised their flutes, clinking them together.

"To Hyoju-umma!" Sooyoung happily cheered.

"To Hyoju!"

 

 

 

 

      August 10th, 2010

August 10th, 2010


 

"Hello," Echo waved to the camera. "Speaking is Echo."

She scrunched up her face, laughing at the awkward sentence.

"Ah, today, I want to tell you guys some things I haven't been able to say lately," she took a deep breath.

"First, I know I don't ever say it, but, you guys are truly my family. We all know everything about each other, even the bad things. I'm extremely grateful for you girls helping me whenever I needed it, and I'm sorry when I had the chance to do the same but didn't.

"It's been very difficult lately, and I'm so happy everyone has been trying so hard to help me through it."

She made a breathy laugh, feeling as if a pressure rose from her chest. "For the members personal messages I think I'll start with the youngest so first is baby Seohyun. I remember when we first met, you didn't even call me unnie because I didn't explain I was an early 91-er. I miss those times, even though it's nice to have a dongsaeng on the team. You're always very strict with yourself and I really wish you get let go a bit and just have pure fun.

"To Yoona," she paused, wondering how much of her image she should consider. "Lately, we've gotten very close and I'm very happy about that. You seem to always know what to do before I can even think of it. I can't even put into words how thankful I am towards you, you've helped me more than I could ever imagine. Thank you.

"Sooyoung-unnie," she laughed. "Where to start with you? I'm pretty sure you were the first trainee I ever met, and the first - well other than Tiffany - SNSD member that I met. Even though you didn't realize it at the time, you helped me a lot when we were trainees. You helped me make friends and always made sure to check on me. You knew when things were wrong, and how to help me through everything.

"Now onto Yuri-unnie. We haven't gotten to talk a lot lately, and that makes me sad. Whenever we talk we're always joking and it's nice, I just wish we had more of those moments now. Our personal schedules conflict so much, it's as if the other doesn't exist. We need to go out for takoyaki soon!

"Ah, Hyoyeon-unnie. I don't even know where to start with you. I remember when we met in China back in 2004. I was still a new trainee and even though my Korean wasn't the best you always tried to keep me involved and were always an amazing teacher, you helped me with things you never had to. I believe it's thanks to you I became the performer I am today.

"And then there was Tiffany," she laughed, hiding behind an open hand. "The first member and trainee I ever met. We met on the plane to South Korea all those years ago. You were the first friend I made here, and I'm proud to say you're still my best friend. I can surely say I know everything about you, especially since we've been roommates for six years," she proudly held up six fingers, three on each hand. "You've stuck by me through thick and thin, and I'm so proud and happy to call you my best friend

"Smiley Sunny-unnie, you always are so upbeat even in the lowest of times. I feel like you hold this group together more than you think you do. You're the voice of reason in the group and you have much more leeway than you think you do. Use your power wisely!" Echo chuckled, shooting up two finger guns.

"Sica Jessica-unnie, we've been really close since trainee years and you've taken care of me since day one. You're one of the few people I trust with my whole being, you know so many things about me you could write a six book series on me. Even when I know you think you did wrong, you did right. You've always been a pillar for me to lean on, and I hope in the future I can be your pillar.

"Last but far from least, Taeyeon-unnie. When we first met I remember how I had to play translator in the trainee dorm, since the only other two trainees spoke English and Chinese. You give me great advice and even helped me with Korean back then, even though we barely knew each other you were always helping and pushing along our journey. I really hope the day comes where you will let me help you just as much as you helped me.

"To SONE, you guys are the most amazing fans I could ever wish for. You're always by our side and I am so, so grateful for that. I really hope we continue to please you, and I hope we can all grow together.

"And then finally… my family," she paused, wondering who exactly was her family at this point. "Most of you I haven't stayed in close contact since the incident. I was really surprised when some reached out to me, in their own special ways and I'm very grateful, albeit confused, by it." She somehow pulled her leg up high enough for her ankle to show on camera. "See, I'm wearing mom's anklet!" She dropped her leg back to the ground with a large thump!

"And to my mom… I really hope you're watching me from a happy place. I hope you're no longer in pain and you are happily watching over your daughters. I hope I continue to make you proud, and I want you to know I love you more than anyone else."

Echo took a longer pause this time, closing her eyes and looking down. She had to even her breaths before she could look up again. "For everyone watching, I love you and please keep watching over me! Thank you!"

 

Isn't it Echo's moms death anniversary? RIP Echo's mommy!

Echo's mom, thank you for gifting us with one of our ten goddesses!

I hope Echo's home with her family today.



 Wow, I got over ten comments on the last chapter, all because we all hate math! How amazing is that? The hatred of math brings people together <3

Variety in Phuket link.

Free Day link.