Chapter 2

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: Salem

 

      December 28th, 2008

December 28th, 2008


 

A loud buzz filled the female dorm as the ten girls, and two managers, got everything they would need for the rest of the day.

It would be a regular training day for the girls, just spending the entire day at the studio.

Echo turned to her still sleeping roommates still back, wondering to herself how on earth she would be able to talk to the elder sometime today. It would be difficult to get her alone, especially since they share a room with the maknae.

"Unnie, we have to go," Seohyun frowned, walking into the small room. Her brows furrowed once she saw Tiffany. "Why is she still asleep?"

Echo mindlessly picked at the invisible dirt underneath her finger nails. "I didn't want to wake her up."

"You guys are still fighting?" the younger girl lowered her voice, eyes darting to the open door to see if anyone would have heard her.

"You don't have to say it like that," Echo snorted. "Everyone knows we're not on good terms."

"But no one knows why… including myself."

Standing up, the vocalist turned to smile at the younger girl. "And that you never will. Wake up Tiffany we only have five minutes before we have to leave." And with that, she waltzed out the bedroom door and into the living room.

"Is she even awake?" Echo held back a giggle when she saw Jessica's swaying form, her eyes closed.

"Poke her," Sunny gained a mischievous look in her brown eyes, "see if she falls over."

The younger girl just laughed at her members words, instead gently shaking the shorter girls shoulders to rouse her from her odd sleep.

"We going?" Jessica's words were barely understood because of a yawn.

"You should get in the van before you pass out again," Hajoon spoke once he walked back into the dorm.

Without another word, Jessica slowly left the dorm. Hyoyeon followed after her to make sure the vocalist actually made it to the van instead of falling asleep in the stair well. Again.

"Did you eat?" Taeyeon asked the other vocalist, who shook her head in response. Wordlessly the leader handed her a energy bar, taking it Echo ripped it open and bit a chunk off of the chalky tasting bar.

Whipping out her phone, she started browsing the internet, a mirth filled smile on her face.

"What'cha doin'?" Sooyoung popped up behind the girl, bursting out laughing once she saw what was on her screen. "Really?"

Echo nodded, the smile slowly falling from her face. "Why am I always the messed up ert in fanfics?"

"Has to do with your persona," Sooyoung replied, the group now swiftly making their descent down the building and into their van.

"Our skinship-, Echo!" Sunny laughed while simultaneously pinching the taller girls cheek.

At the confused look Sunny explained, "That's your nickname online."

"You read fan fiction too?!" Yuri exclaimed, exasperated, once they all were seated in the van.

"Of course! I have to know what the fans think of me, and who they pair me with most," Sunny reasoned, picking at her nails.

"But this story is about who's the biggest ert in the group, me or Taeyeon-unnie."

At the sound of her name the leader turned around, however she was in the first row of seats while the trouble makers were in the back row. When they noticed they gained her attention Sunny yelled, "Yeah, we're talking about you ert!"

Taeyeon just laughed, turning forward again to talk to Tiffany.

"I don't understand how you are so calm about fan fiction," Hyoyeon shivered. "It freaks me out."

"Prepared to be freaked out more, because my second most popular pairing is with you," Echo threw a raspberry at the dancer, who made a fake gagging expression.

The Girls' Generation van was usually light hearted like it is now, if there is ever any discontent between members the others would make sure to keep them apart until they got over it (if there was any verbal or physical fighting it was typically done at the dorm) so they never had to experience the tight air around each other.

As everyday vans crowded the idols van the second it pulled into park in front of the SM building. And as always Hajoon had to get out first to insure the girls had a safe path into the entrance.

Screams, some nasty others pleasant, met their ears once their feet hit the hard pavement.

Going through this door was always a strange sensation for Echo. She still remembers the first time she walked through as just another girl, in hopes of becoming a trainee. She remembers the first day she walked through it as a trainee, with Tiffany by her side.

She shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts, the last thing she needed was to be pulled back into her thoughts again concerning her roommate.

The usually silent hallways always lit up with life whenever the ten members walked through them. Not only were the girls happily chatting amongst themselves, but trainees would always stop and either stare with bright eyes, openly gapping, or bow respectfully and move out of their way, also gapping.

Once they walked into their studio they were in business mode. They placed their stuff in the hidden closet's before getting into position for their latest single's opening formation.

Once the music flowed, so did their bodies.

"Yoona, you work with Hyoyeon on the choreography, you're still rusty," Hajoon began barking out orders for the girls once they went through two runs of the dance. "Taeyeon, you were throwing in 'Way To Go!' dance moves at certain points, freshen up on those. Sooyoung, did you not sleep last night? Your moves are off by a few seconds. The rest of you did well, you have the next hour free, while those who I called need to stay and work."

It was a typical Hajoon move. He knew that, with promotions coming up, the girls would have no free time to just roam hallways. He always made it so he could at least give them some time to breath by themselves as a reward for their hard work.

The singer's eyes followed her best friends figure through the reflection of the mirror. Her heart lifted once she noticed her excusing herself to use the bathroom.

Now's my chance.

Scrambling up, Echo followed the elder out into the hallway. She kept a yard between them, now beginning to feel uncertain with herself as it became closer to approaching her member.

Tiffany knew the other girl was following her, and she knew why as well. She purposely led them both to the bathroom on the far end of the hall. The one that barely anyone used.

Entering the small bathroom the brunette leaned back on the sink, arms crossed, in waiting for Echo.

The younger member peeked her head in, her eyes widening when she noticed Tiffany nonchalantly leaning against the white sink.

"U-unnie," she mentally slapped herself at her stuttering. The taller girl fully walked into the bathroom, leaning against the door behind her. "I want to… apologize."

Tiffany simply raised an eyebrow.

"I mean I," Echo shook her head, trying to think straight. "I'm sorry I did what I did and I'm sorry I kept it from you."

After a few heartbeats the shorter girl sighed, uncrossing her arms. "No, I should be sorry. I shouldn't have reacted that way, it was wrong of me. I should have been there for you like a friend should be."

Echo was taken aback by the others words. "Then why have you been avoiding me?"

"Because I was ashamed at my own actions," she frowned, looking anywhere but at her member. "What kind of best friend reacts that way when they discover a horrible secret of the other? I thought you were mad at me."

"I thought you were mad at me!"

The duo just ended up silently staring at the other, everything clicking. They laughed.

"I couldn't be mad at you for something like that," Tiffany smiled as she moved forward to wrap her arms around the thin girl. "Just promise me you stopped."

Echo bit her lip, relieved that the other couldn't see her expression, knowing it would give her away. "Yeah, I did. Don't worry about it."

 

I feel bad for Echo. She's a main vocal and yet she's never had any OST's like her fellow main vocalists.

I don't like Echo, her always being all over the members is too much. It seems like she's trying too hard for screen time.

Hyoyeon and Echo are in the same boat, they're both mains but neither get any love or appreciation of their talent.

 


The italicize sentences between the pink designs are actually comments made by fans. I thought it would be a helpful way for you guys to understand what the fans see in Echo :D They should be posted every chapter!