Chapter 40

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: Super Girl

 

      September 28th, 2011

September 28th, 2011


 

Today should’ve been a great day for Echo.

Not only did she finally get her cast taken off but SNSD was filming their long-awaited music video today and she was able to take part in it.

But all those happy thoughts were in the deepest corners of Echo’s mind, trumped by the pure pain rushing throughout her entire body.

Waking up today was probably one of her hardest, especially before she was able to gain the aid of her pain medication.

After an extremely restless night, the idol had to get up around four in the morning in order to make an early doctor’s appointment to get her cast removed and receive a skin-colored wrist brace for when she was performing from her manager (more, what she deemed as, unnecessary pre-cautions). After that she got into the van to go to the salon where the group was getting their makeup done (she may have fallen asleep in the chair for a split moment due to sheer fatigue). Afterwards the girls piled into their van and were on their way to the out-of-city shooting location.

“How’re you feeling?” Sunny genuinely questioned Echo, who she was sitting in front of, a light worry highlighting her brown eyes.

“I’ve been better,” she answered, mentally wincing at her own half-truth answer and hoping no one questioned her further.

“If you need anything let us know,” the petite blonde smiled, shifting towards the front and closing her eyes, probably to get some much-needed rest before filming began.

The platinum blonde slowly laid her head back, closing her eyes to those around her. She wished she could slip into a sleep filled oblivion like some of her members around her but there was no way she could physically relax enough for sleep to overcome her.

Along with the pain her mind was racing with the thoughts of her current relationship with specific members and the fans mindset on her. Fans were still in the dark regarding her part in the comeback, which is little in comparison to the rest of the members, leaving her to wonder what they thought about her possibly missing this comeback.

She knew Sooyoung was officially announced back, but she hadn’t checked any forums for the fans thoughts on the matter. There wasn’t a doubt in the young woman’s mind that there were more than a few people out there bashing her for ‘leaving her sisters behind’. Evidently, the young SNSD member couldn’t find herself to care about that piece, knowing the fans will be ecstatic and happily surprised when they discover her taking part in the music video. She doesn’t know when she stopped caring for anti’s, but she’s happy she finally has (and hopes it stays that way).

“When we arrive, everyone needs to get to the changing rooms immediately,” Hajoon called out to the vans occupants. The conscious members either grunted or responded with a quick verbal ‘okay’.

“Seohyun-ah, I expect you to be the first out of the van since your single shot recording is first,” the manager finished with.

The maknae uttered out a quick ‘yes’ to the older man. True to her own word, once the van pulled to a stop she practically flew out of the vehicle.

Echo waited until all her members had already exited the van before she made her own, achingly slow, exit.

A worried Hajoon met her on the other side of the van’s sliding door. “Are you sure you’re up to this?”

The idol swiftly plastered a bright smile onto her face, “Definitely! I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I couldn’t participate in the video.”

Hajoon looked far from convinced but nodded anyway. “Just yell out if it’s too difficult.”

She fruitlessly nodded, fully aware she wouldn’t do such a thing. The two followed the rest of the members and staff that traveled with them into the large warehouse-like building.

Even though the member’s makeup was done prior to appearing at the shooting location, they were still wearing their personal clothes and not their performing outfits for the single shots.

Echo couldn’t help but feel amazed at the fact that Seohyun already changed into her proper outfit before she even reached the changing area herself. Even after years of performing, she still felt a bit awed at times at the behind the scene magic, and how quick all parties involved must be in order to stay on such a tight time crunch.

“How many different magazine and news outlets are going to be here?” Sooyoung asked, to no one in particular, as one of the coordinators was helping her into her outfit.

Hyoyeon made a humming noise. “Probably at least five? I only saw three so far, but I’m sure more will pop up as we progress. ETN is the one that’s trying to take over the whole thing.”

Honestly, the four days it took to record was a daze for Echo. A very boring and somewhat awkward daze.

She remembers how tiring it was that they were recording in Korean, English and Japanese on the same day, taking triple the amount of time a music video usually took. The girl also felt out of place during the dance scene in front of the ginormous black diamond in fake snow, she was told she wasn’t allowed to take part since it was that background they chose to do the most of the more intense dance moves her body couldn’t easily make at the moment. She tried doing the drop in the choreography, but she just ended up crumpling on the floor in pain for a decent ten minutes before someone could help her up without her screaming out in pain.

Because she had to sit out for nearly a day of performing she was allowed her phone at that time to occupy her time if she wasn’t napping on top of covered stage equipment. It was when she was laying on top of said equipment her phone started ringing.

The idol jolted up, looking down at her phone in confusion. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the unsaved number. She had a mental conversation with herself on whether she should answer. For whatever reason, she thought the combination of numbers seemed familiar so she answered.

“Hello?”

“Alli-ah, how’ve you been?” the voice was undeniably male.

Echo felt her confusion and curiosity grow. She sent a quick look over to her managers to see if any were paying attention to her talking on the phone on set, but no one looked her way.

“Trying to work more. I’m sorry I got a new phone recently and don’t have all my contacts, who is this?”

The voice just chuckled, it sounded like honey. “You know, we worked together for a long time, I’m surprised you don’t know my voice.”

For some reason his words were calming and she felt a weight fall from her shoulders. So, obviously, this man was an idol or an actor who she worked with prior, the list isn’t that large so she could hopefully figure out who it is if they never explicitly said.

He’s being a though.

“Sorry, I’m bad at remembering voices.”

The damn man on the other end of the line just kept chuckling. “I’m the same way. When’s your next free day?”

If alarms weren’t going through Echo’s head before they were definitely running through her head now. “I don’t know.” Why am I still talking to this guy? I should seriously hang up…

“We should meet up whenever we get a chance, you owe me a drink or two.”

She felt her eyebrow twitch in irritation. “And why do I owe you that?”

But the other line was dead.

The female idol pulled her phone away from her ear, going back to her recent calls and pressing the circled ‘i’ next to the number that just called her. Her confusion grew when she saw their last call was from September 8th, 2011.

Wait a second…

“Echo! You need to change, we’re going to do the rose scene in ten!”

The blonde quickly put her phone away and got back to work, effectively forgetting about her mystery caller for the time being.

 

“So, how do you feel after four days of shooting?” Sunny questioned Echo, who she was sitting next to in the van ride back to the dorm.

“Let’s be real, I only did half the shooting all of you did,” she pointed out, but was still exhausted. Her pain medication also made her fatigue faster than usual, meaning her brain was just pure mush at this point.

“You shouldn’t have been shooting anything in the first place, so the fact you did anything was amazing,” Sunny gave her younger member a bright smile, gently placing her own small hand over the younger girls.

Warmth spread through Echo’s body, a smile making its way on her face. Without words, she thanked her unnie; her eyes said enough.

 

Sooooo is Echo going to be in the new song or what?

I swear if all the girls aren’t together I’m not going to buy anything else from SM!!

Did Echo move back into the dorm? Is she still in the hospital? Why don’t we know anything….



 

Sooo it's been some time hasn't it? Sorry about that TT.TT
I'm also aware of how rushed and strange this chapter may seem, but I'm just getting back into things! I'm ready to finally finish this story! I'm not sure how many jump through times I'm going to have to try and filter the filler chapters at the moment...
As a note for this chapter though 
is that I was stupid and only watched the BTS video for The Boys as I was writing this chapter (a horrible habit I have) and it turns out they actually recorded during Hyoyeon’s birthday, I assumed the recording was going to be after Sooyoung was officially announced to be back and when there were a few blank days on the Soshi calendar, but I was wrong. My bad.