Chapter 33

Idol Life : SNSD's Tenth Member

 

Watched: The View Out My Car Window

 

      May 31st, 2011

May 31st, 2011


 

"I don't like your girlfriend

No way! No Way!

I think you need a new one

Hey! Hey! You! You!

I could be your girlfriend

No way! No way!

Hey! Hey! You! You!

I know that you like me

No way! No way!

You know it's not a secret

Hey! Hey! You! You!

I want to be you girlfriend

No way! No way!

Hey! Hey!"

Tiffany immediately burst out laughing once they finished singing.

"Fans are seriously going to love this!" Echo smiled, bumping into the older girl as they were waved off stage.

Instead of doing the usual solo stage for their concert, the two best friends decided to have a duet. It was difficult for them to pick a song that they deemed fun enough, having to think long and hard on their decision. When they finally chose a song that Echo was obsessed with back when it first came out a few of the members joked about how it was dedicated to Jonghyun (which she swiftly denied). The girls created a bright and fun stage, filled with plenty of fan service of course.

It would be a lie to say the two didn't like the whole 'Echany/TiffHo' thing. They found it entertaining and believed if their fans liked it, they would do whatever they could to make them happy.

"Watch, Dispatch is going to say you guys are dating again," Sooyoung laughed once the girls joined the rest of the members in the audience seats.

"Dispatch thought I was a guy that time," Echo glared at the laughing girl, remembering the Dispatch article from a few months ago titled 'SNSD Tiffany dating mystery man!'. It would've been juicy gossip if that man wasn't Echo, it just made it comical. A few days later they gave her hair extensions and dyed her hair red.

"It's because you have no ," Yoona joked, playfully tapping the Americans behind.

"I have a !" she yelled, causing some of the staff members to turn around and give her strange looks. Echo blushed, apologizing. Some members started crying they were laughing so hard.

"It doesn't help that you're tall," Seohyun pointed out. "Unnie, I think you even grew a few centimeters!"

"Really?" she perked up.

"Sooyoung, Echo, take your shoes off and stand back to back," Yuri stood up. The two did as they were told, Yuri placing her hand atop their heads. "You're the same height!"

"No way!" Echo gasped, turning around to stare at Sooyoung's head, placing her own hand against their foreheads. "We're the same now!"

"How did you grow?" Sooyoung asked, surprised at the revelation and a little put down that she was now tied for the tallest member in the group.

"Probably because I've been working out so much lately," she looked up in thought. "And I've been eating pretty healthy in my free time. Maybe that has to do with it?"

"I thought your growth plates closed," Tiffany pointed out, remembering a conversation they had back when they were trainees and Echo came back from the doctor.

"He probably lied so she could get surgery," Hyoyeon rolled her eyes.

"Girls! What are you doing?!" Jiwook yelled up to them from the base of the stage. "We're here to work, not talk!"

Some of the members muttered something under their breath before walking down to their manager.

"How's Hanbi adjusting to idol life?" Tiffany asked Echo, their arms looped together.

It was on April 19th when Echo discovered what the extra 'N' in Arianna's stage name meant. Turns out that when Hanbi left the SM Entertainment trainee program, she was scouted by ACube Entertainment and promised a spot in their next girl group. She debuted as APink's lead dancer and face of the group, Naeun.

"As far as I know, she's having the time of her life," Echo hadn't been in touch with her cousin because said cousin's group had their cell phones confiscated.

The funny thing is the fans knew her cousin debuted before she did, their visual likeness was everyone's queue to their relation. Netizens were going wild saying that there's a third Jung sister, to which the companies promptly explained Hanbi is Echo and Ari's cousin. Which then caused netizens to exclaim the family is an idol family. Echo was just happy that her relation to her and her sister was helping her group gain more exposure.

"I heard fans are wondering if you have another secret cousin who's just waiting to debut."

Echo chuckled. "If I do, it's a secret to me too."

Hours later the members were in the changing area behind the scenes, more or less ready for the first leg of their Japanese Arena Tour.

Echo was lounging on the couch with her back against Yoona's shoulder (who was fast asleep) and her long legs stretched over Tiffany's lap.

"At least pretend you're enjoying yourself!"

The American looked towards the commotion with a tired expression, what was going on now?

"Well, sorry I'm tired!" Jessica yelled at their leader.

Taeyeon's fists were curled by her sides, her back straight. "We're all tired! That's no excuse! Fans are paying to see us, at least give them a decent performance instead of doing these halfass performances!"

"I'm not halfassing anything!" Jessica growled, her hands on her hips, leaning forward.

"You've been halfassing promotions for months!"

"I'm putting in just as much effort as you have!"

Taeyeon scoffed, rolling her eyes for effect. "You barely even make it to practices on time!"

"We're off promotion, it's not that big of a deal," she literally waved it off.

"That's you're excuse?" Taeyeon let out a laugh. "All of the members have been putting in their full effort into this concert, and every other performance we have. You're the only one who's slacking."

"I have other things to do you know!"

"Like drink soju with your friends at two in the morning?"

"I have solo work too!"

"Like what?"

When Jessica didn't respond Taeyeon egged her on. "Like what Jessica? Tell me, what else do you have at the moment to make you oh-so-tired?"

Instead of answering, Jessica shoved past Taeyeon and out of the waiting area.

The members awkwardly looked between Taeyeon and where Jessica was.

With rushed steps, Echo took after Jessica.

When did their relationship get so bad? Have I not noticed this?

"Jessica?" she called out, looking around the more desolate area of the building.

The loud bustling of the backstage was just becoming background noise she was so far into the building. Did Jessica really come this far?

Her questioned was answered when she heard light sniffles.

She followed the sound of sniffling, finding Jessica sitting on the emergency stairs.

The elder girl didn't look up when she heard Echo's heels clacking come closer. Slowly, she sat down next to her member, gently rubbing her back, not saying a word.

 

      June 10th, 2011

June 10th, 2011


 

"Achoo!"

"Please, don't sneeze on me," Sooyoung pushed Echo away from her as they walked down the hallway leading to all of the waiting rooms.

Echo glared at her member. "I apologize for getting sick."

"I'll forgive you for now."

Her eyes softened, Echo bumping shoulders with the thin girl instead.

A dark haired blur flew down the opposite end of the hallway, colliding with Echo. "Go to the waiting room!" Looking down, Echo realized it was Jessica. "Unnie? What's going on?"

The shorter girl didn't respond at first, her small hand was wrapped tightly around Echo's wrist as she forcefully pulled her back to SNSD's waiting room. Sooyoung awkwardly trailed behind them.

Once in the safety of their waiting room Jessica softly answered, "Shin Sekyung is here."

Echo blinked, confused. "And you pulled me here why? I don't care."

Jessica gave her an 'are you kidding me?' look. "You two have successfully never seen each other, I wish to keep it that way. Who knows what Jonghyun has said about you to her."

"I doubt he would say anything bad," Echo moved to walk past the shorter girl, who blocked her exit.

"Just wait a little, it will make me feel better."

"Fine, unnie," she groaned, laying down on the very uncomfortable couch instead. She ended up silently watching her members who still lingered in the room.

Sooyoung moved towards the makeup chairs to play a hand game with Seohyun, Yoona was passed out on the opposite end of the couch, Sunny and Jessica were chatting over some fashion magazine and Taeyeon was leaning against a wall with her headphones in, blankly looking out the single window.

Echo's eyes shifted back to Sunny, she found it strange that she was talking to Jessica and not Taeyeon. Taeyeon would say numerous times how close her and Sunny are, and it was no secret that Sunny and Jessica weren't the best of friends (they weren't enemies, just not close),

She looked towards the clock on the wall, realizing there was plenty of time before there was the full costume dry run today, she closed her eyes, taking a well deserved nap.

Thirty minutes later Echo's brown eyes popped open. She tiredly looked around, noting that none of her members were in the waiting room.

She pulled her arms high over her head, stretching until she heard the satisfying pops in her joints. ", what time is it?" she scratched her head, looking up at the clock. She still had an hour before dry rehearsals, so where is everyone else?

Against her bodies wishes, Echo stood up from the couch and walked out the door. Even the hallway was lonely. Not many people were wandering around, which caused the idol to question even more where everyone is and if she was missing something important.

They would wake me up if something was going on though.

Turning a corner, she swiftly backtracked upon seeing who was on the other side.

"Jung Echo?"

The idol felt a wave of nausea run over her, and she's pretty sure it wasn't because she's sick. Reluctantly, she walked around the corner. "Shin Sekyung." She pulled her shoulders back and held her head high.

"It's nice to finally meet you," the actress gave a questionable smile, her head tilted  a little.

"You as well," she quipped.

The two woman ended up staring each other down, as if ready for the first to crack. To Echo's relief the actress got right to the point. "Jonghyunnie talks about you."

Jonghyunnie? "Oh, really?"

Something flashed in the actresses eyes. "How much would it cost for you to stay away from my Jonghyunnie?"

Echo's pretty sure her face dropped the cold act and adopted an extremely confused one. "Excuse me?"

Sekyung took a large step forward, barely a foot of space was left between their bodies. "I don't like the way he talks about you, and I really don't like the fact my boyfriends ex-girlfriend is around him so often. So, what will it cost to get rid of you?"

The redhead felt her lip twitch in irritation. "I don't know if you are aware of the fact that we're under the same label thus we are always around each other when at the office. In other words: you can't get rid of me."

Anger flashed through Sekyung's eyes. "Just watch me. Before you know it he'll never remember your name, I'll make him hate you."

She scoffed. "And how are you going to do that?" She barely held back swearing at the older girl.

The actresses face softened, her eyes glistening. "Jonghyunnie, Echo-ah was so mean to me today. I just wanted to become her friend but instead she yelled and swore at me claiming that she owns you." A single tear fell during her performance. Once she was done she rubbed it away and her face went back to a neutral expression.

"You really don't know Jonghyun if you think he's going to believe that."

"He'll believe anything I tell him."

Echo paused, her mind whirling for any question. "So how serious are you?"

Sekyung looked taken aback at the question. "Very, obviously."

"So you've had ?"

The actress froze. Her physical reaction was enough of an answer for Echo but she pushed further. "Is he uncircumcised or circumcised?"

Sekyung's face contorted in anger before flowing back to neutral. Her acting face was on now. Confidently, she answered, "Circumcised, I was really surprised."

Echo nodded, accepting the answer. She took a step past the actress before turning back with the devils smirk. "By the way, he's uncircumcised. Nice to meet you, Shin Sekyung." She twisted on her heel and sauntered down the hall. She wished she could look back to see the floured actresses face, but it would ruin the effect of her vibe.

When she successfully rounded the corner she doubled over, the pain in her stomach was becoming worse. She felt he nausea rise from her stomach and into . Oh god, was she going to throw up right here in the hallway?

"Echo?"

Oh, thank god people are starting the habit of finding her in the hallway again.

She couldn't look up, afraid any movement would cause the stomach bile to reach . A large, warm hand gently rubbed her back. "Echo-ah? Are you hurt?" his voice was gentle.

"Nauseas," she painfully muttered.

"Do you need to go to the bathroom? Do you want me to get one of your members?"

She slowly nodded.

"I'll be right back, I promise!"

She heard his rushed footsteps away from her. Echo tried to focus solely on her breathing, in for four and out for eight, trying to will the pain away. There was no way she would be able to perform like this, but she wouldn't not perform either. There had to be a way, or maybe a pill?

"Echo-ah? What's wrong?" a feminine voice met her ears this time. But in her narrowed line of vision she could see whoever the man was from before was there with her, noting the two pairs of feet.

"Throw up," she groaned.

"I'm going to help you up, okay sweetie?"

She nodded, feeling a thin arm wrap around her waist and another, thicker, arm around her shoulders that helped hoist her up to a standing position.

Her tiny hands clutched at her stomach as the two mostly dragged her down the hallway. When they reached the girls restroom the thicker arm slid off her shoulder and her member guided her to a open stall, which she promptly puked into the toilet.

After a minute of hovering over the bowl, worried she would puke again, Echo rocked back onto her thighs, looking up to see which member was grabbed. "Sunny-unnie?"

The short girl gave her a comforting smile, her hand gently running through Echo's hair in comfort. "You feeling better?"

"Yeah, a bit," she leaned back against the stalls wall. "Thanks for coming. Who was with you?"

"No problem" she waved it off. "It was Leeteuk who found you, he was very antsy when he found me. I thought you just had a cold?"

She shrugged, she didn't really know either. "I've been nauseas for the past hour or so."

"Did you eat something weird?"

"I don't think so."

"…Did you eat the snails?"

"No."

 

Echo did really well in Secret Garden, but wasn't it awkward noticing her age difference in comparison to the other actors?

Echo shouldn't have been in Secret Garden, she's way too young.

Echo made out like a bandit at the SBS Drama Awards!



Took a big time skip haha~

Who else has Girls' Generation's "Party" stuck in their head?

Echo's red hair.