Prince.

Make My Heart Race
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

for noda1991;; (4893 words)

Sungyeol was nervous.

 

“I don’t know… it just doesn’t seem right.” Sungyeol stared at his reflection in the floor length mirror, a frown twisting his face as he pondered his clothing.

 

“It’s perfect. You are perfect.” Sungjong assured him, smoothing down his older brother’s jacket. “Everyone in the kingdom will be talking about how handsome you look tonight.”

 

“I don’t know it just feels… not good enough.” Sungyeol complained, and Sungjong decided to humor him.

 

“Okay, then what’s wrong with it?”

 

“It’s all black.”

 

“Black is Myungsoo’s favorite color. I thought you picked the suit for him, so wouldn’t that be a good thing?”

 

Sungyeol sighed, collapsing onto his bed in defeat. “On any other night it would be fine but it doesn’t feel special enough for my debut. I mean, by the time the clock strikes midnight, I will be betrothed. Jongie, I’m really going to be getting married.”

 

His younger brother frowned. “I thought this is what you wanted? Why don’t you sound more excited?”

 

“I am excited. I just… what if Myungsoo doesn’t put in a request for my hand in marriage? What if he doesn’t feel the same way I do?” Sungyeol speculated, his eyebrows pinching together in worry.

 

Sungjong groaned, joining his brother on the bed. “Hyung, why must we always have this conversation? Myungsoo is just as obsessed with you as you are with him.”

 

“But how could you know for sure?”

 

“Because I have eyes!” Sungjong declared adamantly. “Myungsoo comes to the kingdom when he doesn’t even have to-”

 

“That’s not true! He is the Prince of his own lands, he comes for diplomatic relations to strengthen the bonds between our two countries-”

 

“Business that could be conducted through men and women of much lesser stations, and yet he comes himself! To have a reason to spend time with you.” The younger man sighed, rolling his eyes. “Do I even have to mention the great tournament incident that occurred during your eighteenth summer?”

 

“It was one measly flower!”

 

“It was the flower. A red rose, that the prince won for you. He bested many men that day, all so he could reward you with the ceremonial flower. And don’t think for a second that I didn’t see you gift him with your favorite pink handkerchief in return. It is a tradition as old as his kingdom, he knows that you favor him. He would have to be crazy to miss an opportunity like this. His kingdom has already sent a messenger to confirm that he is attending the ball tonight. Sure there will be other princes in attendance tonight vying for your attention, but father and mother know how much you adore Myungsoo. If he makes an offer they will accept it; a union with him would benefit us greatly.”

 

“But that’s the thing; it benefits us, but not necessarily him. And before you interrupt me, just think about it. Our kingdom is small, we don’t have much to offer him in terms of a dowry. His kingdom is more powerful, wealthy, and respected; that’s just a fact. He has nothing to gain from marrying someone like me. If anything, I’m not worthy of him.”
 

Sungjong stood up angrily. “Now you’re just being ridiculous! You are a prince. It is your birthright to rule. You are loved by your people and you should never be ashamed of where you come from. If Myungsoo doesn’t think you’re good enough for him, then the truth is that he’s not good enough for you.” He reached for his brother’s hand. “Look; I know you’re freaking out but if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. The sooner you go out there and face the music, the sooner you’ll know.”


Sungyeol stood up hesitantly, looking at the mirror once more. “And you’re sure that I look alright?”

 

“The only person that looks better than you, is me.” The elder tried to playfully punch him, but Sungjong danced out of the way grinning. “Hey; one of us has to be the attractive brother. It’s a hard burden to carry but… like many things, I do it well.”

 

Sungyeol shook his head. “May God have mercy on whatever poor soul gets stuck with you on your debut night. Only a madman would have the courage to ask for your hand.”

 

“Jealousy is not a good look on you, hyung.” Sungyeol stuck out his tongue, but Sungjong resolutely ignored him. He straightened out Sungyeol’s suit, giving him one last glance over before deeming him acceptable. “This is as good as it's gonna get. Let’s go and greet our guests.”

 

Sungyeol nodded, his fingers smoothing up his darkly styled hair just into place.

 

“I’m ready.”

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

Myungsoo was nervous.

 

His leg had been shaking nonstop since he had entered the carriage, the elder unable to sit still. “You don't think that the handkerchief is too much? Too forward?”

 

Woohyun, his closest friend and the prince of the neighboring western kingdom, groaned. “How could it possibly be too forward? Sungyeol himself gifted you the token.”

 

“But that was two years ago! Maybe it will reflect badly upon me, make it seem like he is playing favorites when everyone should be able to submit an offer to his father, the King-”

 

“My friend, for someone so intelligent, you can be awfully dense. Of course, Sungyeol is playing favorites, he is choosing his husband tonight! It is no secret within this realm that he has his sights set on you. If anything, this entire ball is just a formality. Everyone knows that by the end of the night you will be his betrothed. I couldn't even get any of your knights to place a bet against it, because it's that much of a sure thing.”

 

Myungsoo shifted in his seat, the horses’ hooves clacking upon the pavement seeming deafening. “I'm just nervous. I haven't seen him for months, we've only exchanged letters. What if he has met someone else during our time apart? I simply couldn't bare it.”

 

“Do not fret! Quite frankly his kingdom has much to gain by forming such a close alliance with yours. Plus, your parents have blessed your intentions and are looking forward to your marriage. There is no one standing in your path, but your own self. Be confident and claim your man.” Woohyun encouraged him with a smile.

 

“You make it sound like it’s so easy, but you forget that I was your companion the night of Sunggyu’s formal. You were a wreck the entire evening until Sunggyu declared you his beloved.”

 

“That's different.” Woohyun stressed. “Sunggyu is an evil mastermind who loves to play games.” He smirked wistfully as the memories washed over him. “Kept me guessing until the very last moment.”

 

“You use such strange words for your betrothed.”

 

“Doesn't make it any less true. Plus, he still chose me in the end. I'm quite confident that you will have the same positive results.” Woohyun stated warmly.

 

Their carriage shifted to a stop, and a doorman opened it up for the two princes. “We are here, your Majesties.”

 

“Thank you.” Woohyun spoke for the both of them, tugging his suddenly stiff friend out of their transportation. “Now chin up; you need to make a grand entrance.”

 

The weight of his proposal weighed heavy on Myungsoo’s chest; the formal letter stamped and sealed with the signature of his King. This was really happening.

 

“Don't forget to smile.” Woohyun , entering the grand hall before him. Myungsoo heard them declare his friend’s arrival, and he stepped up to face the music. He handed the official his title card, and smoothed down his suit. He made sure to arrange the handkerchief just so, the soft silver embroidery bearing Sungyeol’s initials on display for all to see.

 

“I present, his Lordship, Prince Myungsoo of the Southern Isles.”

 

Their was a polite chorus of applause, and Myungsoo began to descend the stairs, the night that would change his destiny officially beginning.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

Sungyeol was fidgeting on his throne, politely greeting all the suitors but truthfully he was starting to panic. Many of tonight's guests had been announced, but Myungsoo had yet to make an appearance.

 

“What if he doesn't show?” He whispered to his brother, who looked at him sharply in return.

 

“There is no need for a meltdown yet. I told you that he confirmed his attendance and the night is young.” He looked to grand staircase where their guests entered, his eyes narrowing. “Ah, I believe that's Woohyun next in line. If he's here, then Myungsoo will surely follow.”

 

Sungyeol plastered on a fake smile, greeting another ambassador before refocusing on his brother. “You better be right.”

 

“I'm always right. Look now; your man is here.”

 

The prince’s head whipped around and his eyes widened at the sight of his crush. He was dressed in an elegant charcoal gray suit, a matching bowtie perfectly folded into place. But it was the flash of pink that caught his eye, and his heart set on fire at the implication.

 

His brother groaned, trying his best to hide a smile behind his hand. “I can't decide if this is gross or romantic.”

 

Sungyeol punched him blindly, unable to tear his eyes off of the prince. “Quiet! They're about to present him!”

 

The booming voice of the announcer filled the grand hall. “I present, his Lordship, Prince Myungsoo of the Southern Isles.”

 

Sungyeol bit his lip, clapping along with his guests as he watched the man descend the staircase, looking every bit of his royal decree. He was so handsome, in a crowded room full of important people, he only had eyes for Myungsoo.

 

“Tone it down, hyung. You look a bit pathetic getting all moony over him this quickly.”

 

“Shut up, Sungjong.” He whispered fiercely, not wanting his brother to ruin the moment. He caught Myungsoo’s eye, and the man’s face blossomed into a smile. The prince immediately set course for him, and his heart began to beat at double time. “Oh God, he's coming over here now. I swear Jongie, if you embarrass me-”

 

“Just wipe off your mouth; you've got a bit of drool there.”

 

“Seriously?” Sungyeol asked in a panic, and his brother laughed.

 

“Kidding.”

 

“You monster-” Sungyeol had to cut off his rant before it could even begin, Myungsoo suddenly materializing in front of the royal family like some sort of dream.

 

“Your Grace, thank you for the invitation to such a lovely occasion.” Myungsoo drawled out in that deep voice to the King, and Sungyeol wanted to scream. He waited not so patiently as the prince exchanged pleasantries with his father and mother, his hands wringing nervously in his lap.

 

Finally Myungsoo turned his attention in their direction, his eyes lighting up after landing on the brothers.

 

“Prince Sungjong, a pleasure to see you looking so well.” Myungsoo said politely, and his brother smirked.

 

“The same to you Prince Myungsoo.” Sungjong lounged back in his throne, eager to watch the exchange between the two lovebirds play out.

 

“And Prince Sungyeol; the true reason for the celebration tonight. You are simply a vision in black. You look beautiful, your Majesty.” Myungsoo reached out, placing a delicate kiss on top of Sungyeol’s trembling hand.

 

“I am pleased by your attendance, Prince Myungsoo.” Sungyeol managed to get out, his mind spinning too fast to think of a more elegant response.

 

“For your consideration.” Myungsoo stated with a smirk, his hand reaching into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter