Angel.

Make My Heart Race
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

for puellabona;; (2077 words)

Being Sungyeol’s guardian angel is a full time job. Well, being a guardian angel generally is but most angels have a multitude of people that they watch over, but Myungsoo has the pleasure - or some would argue torture - of watching over the beautiful, clumsy, dangerously curious person that is Lee Sungyeol exclusively.

 

At first Myungsoo was surprised to learn that he would only have one vessel on Earth he was responsible for, but the older Sungyeol became, and the more outrageous situations the boy managed to find himself in, Myungsoo understood.

 

How could the same person almost fall off the roof of the house trying to put up decorations - Halloween during his thirteenth year and Christmas during his sixteenth - and make it out without a scratch? And then there was the obsession with water skiing during the summer of his twelfth grade year that had Myungsoo in a constant state of panic every time the boy even mentioned the word lake. Rock climbing was attempted - and failed with many broken bones to prove it - at the young age of six, and ice skating was his passion when he was nine - Myungsoo still had nightmares about fingers accidentally being cut off when Sungyeol would throw around his blades without putting on the protectors first.

 

Myungsoo thought surely things would get better once Sungyeol moved to college. Going to university was supposed to be synonymous with becoming more mature, more accountable for your actions. But if anything Sungyeol seemed to be more in danger than everyone, falling in with a group of friends who managed to put him in life threatening situations at a rate that couldn’t be normal.

 

But Sungyeol was happy, and really that was the only thing that mattered. Myungsoo didn’t care if he had to run himself ragged, using up so much magic in a day that he was exhausted by the time Sungyeol would crawl into bed and fall asleep.

 

Angels were different than humans; they didn’t need rest to reset their bodies, but they did need it to restore their magic. That’s why one guardian could watch over more than one human; most humans didn’t need magical intervention during their daily lives, so one guardian could look after multiple people without their magic ever running low.

 

Myungsoo, however, used his magic use constantly in order to keep Sungyeol out of trouble. It was like the boy had no sense of self preservation, he didn’t even look before crossing the street! If it were possible, Myungsoo was sure he would have had a head full of gray hairs after worrying over his human so much.

 

Unluckily for him, Sungyeol and his friends were planning a huge spring break trip to Panama. The human hadn’t stopped talking it about it for weeks, planning out excursions like zip lining, off road biking, and deep sea snorkeling. Thankfully, for the latter, he had to attend classes to get a license so Myungsoo felt a bit more secure about him being hundreds of feet underwater with limited oxygen. He was positive that he was going to be pushing himself and his magic to the limits to keep Sungyeol in one piece, but the human was so happy about the trip that he couldn’t bring himself to be upset about it.

 

The entire trip, Myungsoo kept waiting for something to go wrong. A leak in the boat, a mishap on the plane, a loose rock on the ledge that could send Sungyeol plummeting down to a grisly end.

 

But nothing happened.

 

The entire trip went off without a hitch. Sungyeol and his friends embraced the new country, ate delicious exotic foods, explored the local markets, and visited historic landmarks. Myungsoo had never seen the human look so happy, so content.

 

Myungsoo was… strangely proud of him. After watching after him for so many years of his life, he had the ability to read the emotions the other was feeling just by looking at his face. Too often he saw forced smiles or faked happiness that Sungyeol put on to make his other friends feel better. But when he was alone, his true feelings would show; Sungyeol had been stressed ever since entering university, being away from home and having no true direction for his major made him feel insecure compared to his peers. But here in Panama, surrounded by his friends and the beautiful scenery, Sungyeol finally looked like he had found home again.

 

The angel was sure the boy would be depressed when the time came for them to leave, but Sungyeol managed to surprise him again. In the airport all he did was talk about what would come next, the fun trips they could plan for the future.

 

The flight home was nothing short of exhausting, but navigating airports and being stuck on a cramped plane couldn’t have rendered any other result. Myungsoo felt so relieved when Sungyeol bid his friends goodbye, and immediately jumped into bed the second he got home.

 

Myungsoo shut his eyes, and finally allowed himself to relax too. He had put off resting during the entire week in Panama, too nervous that something could happen if he wasn’t actively looking after Sungyeol. But now, his human had safely made it home.

 

Everything was okay.

 

.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter